• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
maybe ps4 pro not powerful enough, at least for them to just slap together something. wont be the first 1080p game on the pro.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bit odd that AAA game

Just calibrate your expectations properly. The Outer Worlds, which has been in development since late 2016, is published by Private Division, a label of Take-Two Interactive (parent company of 2K and Rockstar) designed to make "AA" games. They're not indie, but they're not big-budget "AAA" RPGs like The Witcher 3 or Fallout New Vegas, either. So don't expect The Outer Worlds to be quite as vast, with a massive open world in which you can get lost for hundreds of hours. This will be a very different experience.

Just FYI, this isn't some big budget, AAA, blockbuster game. It definitely has a budget and is limited in scope (judging from the quotes, game length, and comments from developers). It's not a bad thing but I just wanted to clarify.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm honestly curious if it was planned to be optimized for either. We know already that budget restrictions have reduced Open World Capabilities and mechanics such as Romance and 3rd Person view. 4K optimization is not cheap. If the plan was to optimize the game for both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X then MS intervened and removed PS4 Pro support, that's kinda scummy, even if it is their IP. However, from my Understanding, Microsoft has helped expand Obsidian including for this game, so if it was a case of "here Obsidian, have some extra devs so you can optimize your game on Xbox One X", I see nothing wrong with this, as it wouldn't have been optimized before.

In short, doesn't look great if a PS4 Pro version was planned, but if this was a case where neither was planned and MS helped optimize the game for X, then I frankly see nothing wrong with it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
If this is the case and there is no patch, this has to be influenced by MS. I mean considering the game looks good but no spectacular graphically this should be running at a lot higher res on PS4 pro.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Why release on PS at all then? It seems strange to go to all of that effort and then send one version out to die.
Contractual obligations. Also it's not being sent out to die, and if people like the game it can help try and justify a purchase of a Scarlett or Xbox GP PC for the sequel. An all around win win.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Guess we will have to see. If this is natively 4k on Xbox One X without really any severe performance issues, that'd raise at least one eyebrow.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017

Not really. This is like the third game this month that is X enhanced but not Pro Enhanced. The new Yooka Laylee, Trine 4 and now Outer Worlds. All different publishers and developers. I only know about these games because I'm interested in them, maybe there are even more recent games that only feature X update enhancements.

So...not shady at all.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
User Warned: Console wars
What a "surprise" that there are a few folks in here actually happy about this when they'd be putting up an insane amount of fuss if it was the other way around...

Guess this news got em a bit too excited to keep up the act.

Yuuuup, it's hilarious to see. Watch them all conveniently regroup in the Xbox OT later.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
So MS acquired this developer and paid for this to come to gamepass despite not being the publisher. They could have also bought out the PS4 version entirely from private division I would imagine. Or they could have pulled a COD/Destiny and done exclusive content or items on Xbox.

I think the situation could have been more heavy handed if MS wanted to commit to it. We are in uncharted territory here. The only real response to this news would be to ask if the game would have been enhanced for either console if they had not been purchased by MS. I'm inclined to believe that it would not have. If anything I'll attribute this to a "win" from them
Being acquired and MS funding an enhancement-I certainly don't think they purposely held anything back.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least it's coming to other platforms. They could have pulled that too I guess. Plus I'm pretty sure they'll have a Pro patch, but they probably figured that X + Game Pass entices more people right now along with the whole Microsoft owning them.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get these mid gen refreshes. The whole point of it was to offer enhanced graphics. This being a relatively big release and it has no enhancements on Pro is just dumb and stupid. Shame on Sony.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying a Pro patch some time later after release is probable? Why would Microsoft bother making one at a later date?

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Not pretty for PS4 users. If you make a game multiplatform you should treat every version with the same care.
Tell that Activision, Bungie and Remedy. I hate these kinds of exclusivities, be they content or visuals related. It's the reason why I won't buy Control until there's a complete edition for Xbox One. (Disclaimer: I hate them both ways, what MS did with CoD last gen also sucked, although it wasn't nearly as aggressive as what Sony is doing this gen.)
Anyway, the PS4 Pro should obviously be capable of handling some enhancements.

That being said, let's not jump to conclusions here. For all we know, a patch might be on the way.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The devs have no obligation to them.

The devs have no obligations to customers who paid $60 for their game?

This has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Obsidian IS Microsoft. Anything and everything they do has to do with Microsoft.

Just a reminder that Bard's Tale IV didn't have any X enhancements at launch.

The Kickstarter project? Outer Worlds wasn't crowd funded. It was financially backed by one of the most profitable publishers in the industry and now Microsoft. They can't plead poverty on this one.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Yuuuup, it's hilarious to see. Watch them all conveniently regroup in the Xbox OT later.

And watch the old PS die-hards like you two come in here Pearl clutching on cue. Goes both ways. I don't like these kinds of things although we don't even have any facts as to whose decision this is. But we know who's decision COD and Destiny money hats are.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asking them not to do it maybe, but if they just asked them to prioritize or gave them extra resources to do the One X enhancements there's nothing really wrong with that.
Yeah, I dont think it's that. Again, the One X and Pro are architecturally similar, so similar that this doesn't make sense. Bussiness sense or hardware sense. Business sense because games sell most on PS4, even if it looks better in Xbox One X. So..Private Division and Obsidian are gambling on their sales with this little stunt. Maybe they think people like me are the minority? But... yeah, but Im massive Fallout/RPG fan... but especially New Vegas that I played to death. I bought Greedfall on launch to support "the little guy", Spiders, so goodwill means alot to me. This little stunt though, Obsidian's output is dead to me. They wont get goodwill from me.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
What a "surprise" that there are a few folks in here actually happy about this when they'd be putting up an insane amount of fuss if it was the other way around...

Guess this news got em a bit too excited to keep up the act.

The CoD timed exclusive PS4 thread topped at 9 pages. This one is 17, and going. What fuss?

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Judging from the responses in this thread, it sounds like Obsidian stands to lose a lot of sales thanks to this!

I'd say a dozen at least.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Too much drama over some minor feature that will be patched or fixed, or maybe is already there.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I really don't think it will stay that way, but you never know. New Vegas is the only Fallout game I liked, and I was also a fan of KOTOR but The Outer Worlds really came out of nowhere for me, I hadn't heard of it and then all of a sudden it's ready to be released. Finding out it wasn't on Steam until 2020 was a huge bummer and if it won't be enhanced on PS4 Pro then it looks like I'll cop it on a sale down the line on Steam. I have Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon coming up but I was really itching for a good RPG.

Also, to vent really quick... I fucking hate all these exclusive content deals companies have in general, it's just so annoying. Sony did the same thing with Destiny/COD and I hated it even though I didn't care about those games at all. Having an exclusive in-house made game is one thing, but tiny annoyances like these get old quick.

there are no exclusive content deals in this game.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
So will this show the Xbox Game Studios logo before it starts? Thats super weird on a PlayStation device.

Status
Not open for further replies.