• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): antagonistic/drive-by trolling, very recent warnings for same behaviour
Keep up the good work Epic by putting guaranteed money in the devs pockets. Don't mind the man children here on this website. They'll still buy your game a year later for full price. Jokes on them.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the end of the day, the developer making enough money to continue to do business is the most important thing here, not how that game is delivered to the customer. Customer's rights are second here, then the important of the publisher is third.
Well I hope they don't complain about sales.

Keep up the good work Epic by putting guaranteed money in the devs pockets. Don't mind the man children here on this website. They'll still buy your game a year later for full price. Jokes on them.
I bet we won't see anything about how successful sales are which will be the most telling part. When the game comes out next year on other platforms, I bet the games will have big discounts because of the lack of sales from epic and to get people to actually support the game.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
These aren't exclusives right? Mostly worried about The Outer Worlds. I see it listed on Steam.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic following the ms strategy of buying their way to a monopoly I see.

What a shitty practice. If epic really cared abut the industry they could just buy dying studios or fund their own games not buy up the competition.

Disappointed in devs taking blatant bribes but I guess the figure free money why not?

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just continuing to cross games off my list I guess.

Not exactly hurting for games to play so it just saves me a bit of money.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Control, my most anticipted game of the year, becoming EGS-exclusive is a big bummer. I´m really pissed.
Sorry Remedy, won`t buy it then.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think we all know what the obvious, and more sensible/likely alternative is. Even if Valve makes a new release, that's only one or two games every 5-6 years. Valve will simply start moneyhatting their own exclusives, making the situation worse.

Valve's solution might just be a change to their publisher agreements. They could lock them into a day and date release. Right now its seems be pretty lax.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
These aren't exclusives right? Mostly worried about The Outer Worlds. I see it listed on Steam.

They are for a year or at least The Outer Worlds is. You can get it sometime this year on EGS, EDIT forgot that it is also on the Windows store this year as well, you have to wait a year after that if you want it on Steam.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Regarding Metro.
Epic used these numbers most likely:

unknown.png

Not these:

unknown.png

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Steam isn't doing enough for the developers is the problem. Let's give a hypothetical here, if you're a dev and Epic offers you $4000 up front, and 90% of revenue on $8000 of sales, would you rather have that or 70% of $10000 of sales on Steam? I know which I would choose.

I'm, not a developer so I can not speak to what steam is not doing enough of but I mean the fact they are as big as they are is not because they paid off publishers its because they offer a good store. I see what your saying man and you gotta eat so I get it but it's not helping the PC market in the long run thats for sure. consumers matter too.

I mean your on this website so are you then also a man-child? and who said I will buy the games at full price on PC in a years time? It's not about hurting developers you realize? it's about telling Epic that PC is an open platform of choice not paid off walled gardens with almost no features.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you proud of spreading misinformation that was gathered by someone who claimed they have no expertise in it? Unless there's actual evidence of data being sent to epic, steam is actually more at fault there. They are like facebook who made your personal data accessible. Unless there's actual proof that epic did something wrong (sent data outside of your machine), they aren't at all like Cambridge Analytica and didn't violate your privacy.

And yes, I hate steam and love that someone is actually doing something to get bigger market share to be able to compete with steam in the long run.
It's Steam's fault for storing personal data about Steam on your personal computer? Are you fucking serious?

Do you understand what Spyware is? Do you understand that just because the data's there, Epic can't legally take it?

And are you serious with this shit about no evidence of them taking it? That's not how proving illegal activities works. Ideally one would be hired to look through their code and ensure they're not taking it. Orrrrrr.... They could fucking not harvest that data and just use the API like all the other actual competition.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to have a snowball effect as more devs and pubs report success from these exclusivity deals. And if people are migrating to Epic to play new game after new game, they're going to stay there.

Valve needs to do something to stop their platform becoming the sales rack of PC gaming.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
That's not even remotely true.

I'll just go down the Wikipedia List of game releases for a few titles. I only quickly checked for each title so errors are more than possible:

InnerSpace - Steam exclusive
Street FIghter V Arcade Edition - Steam exclusive
Iconoclasts - Not Exclusive
Lost Sphear - Steam Exclusive
Subnautica - Not sure, but i think until EGS deal it was Steam exclusive
Celeste - Not Steam exclusive
Dragonball FighterZ - Steam Exclusive
Railway Empire - Not Steam Exclusive
We Were Here Too - Steam Exclusive
Aegis Defenders - Not exclusive
Civilization 6 - Steam exclusive
Octogeddon - Steam exclusive
Rust - Steam exclusive
Dynasty Warriors 9 - Steam exclusive

Out of the first 14 games in the List, 10 of them are exclusively on Steam and are unplayable without a Steam Account and the Launcher. That's the thing. You may be able to buy keys from different stores but the in most cases, all of them just send you right back to steam.
If you want to play games on PC, you have to own both Steam and a Steam Account. Most developers only release their games exclusively on Steam and have been doing so for years and years now.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to have a snowball effect as more devs and pubs report success from these exclusivity deals. And if people are migrating to Epic to play new game after new game, they're going to stay there.

Valve needs to do something to stop their platform becoming the sales rack of PC gaming.
Where are these reported successes? I sure haven't seen them if you can point me to someone talking about how the epic game store helped their sales I would love to see it.

Out of the first 14 games in the List, 10 of them are exclusively on Steam and are unplayable without a Steam Account and the Launcher. That's the thing. You may be able to buy keys from different stores but the in most cases, all of them just send you right back to steam and the money goes to Valve either way.

If you want to play games on PC, you have to own both Steam and a Steam Account. Most developers only release their games exclusively on Steam and have been doing so for years and years now.
The money doesn't go to valve if you buy a key elsewhere. That's the thing and I know it's hard for you to understand, Also none of those are games valve paid to keep off other platforms.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
We already knew that Epic would go all out with their moneyhats in an attempt to gain a userbase as fast as possible. Sweeney, Galyonkin and everyone else involved in these deals on the Epic side are trying, hoping and anticipating that the amount of anticipated new games becoming timed exclusive will sway customers and convince them to spend money on the Epic Games Store. If you're a gamer and some of these games interest you so much that you're willing to buy them through Epic, I'm not going to tell you not to do that. Life can often be sad and tough, if playing a game brings you joy and makes you forget the troubles of the real world, by all means go for it.

However, if you identify as a PC gamer who enjoys the unique facets of the platform or as a customer who cares about consumer rights and customer-friendly business behavior, I would ask that you think long and hard about what spending money on these games would mean for the platform and what kind of business behavior you are encouraging. Ask yourself if you really want to support the practice of 'competing' for customers, not by giving more to them but by limiting their options and forcing them to a specific service. Ask yourself if you want to encourage developers to take those deals, safe in the knowledge that their sales will not be significantly impacted.

Most of all, think about the future. Think about a future in which different services will set securing exclusives as a priority and customer choice will go out the window and decide if you really want to support this. If playing a few games right now is enough of a reason to potentially screw yourself over for years to come. PC gamers made their voice heard and forced the entire industry to change its 'PC gaming is dying' tune a decade ago. Don't let anyone tell you that complaining and voting with your wallet is pointless. Take a stand and tell everyone that will listen why taking that stand is important.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Fucked if I know. I just don't think that making Half Life 3 solves the problem either. I don't think one thing has much to do with the other.
It's a first step though. Not an end-all solution. Valve needs to staunch the bleeding here and exclusive Valve games are a step toward a solution.
Dig into your gigantic coffers and make some games to draw people to your platform (or buy them). Or give developers the same deal your competition is giving them.
The issue there is that then everything just devolves into both platforms running around trying to scoop up as many exclusives as they can, which still leaves users unable to stick to a single distribution platform.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just go down the Wikipedia List of game releases for a few titles. I only quickly checked for each title so errors are more than possible:

Rust - Steam exclusive

Out of the first 14 games in the List, 10 of them are exclusively on Steam and are unplayable without a Steam Account and the Launcher. That's the thing. You may be able to buy keys from different stores but the in most cases, all of them just send you right back to steam and the money goes to Valve either way.

These are not exclusives Valve has paid for, so I'm not sure what point you're making. These developers can sell their games wherever they want.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think I'm mostly done with PC gaming now, thanks to Epic. Really hope this comes back and bites those devs/publishers in the arse big time.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This has nothing to do with cut. Developers and publishers are going for the money Epic pays upfront. Proof for that is 1 year exclusivity and from today deal with Humble where cut between developers and humble will probably stay the same as it was for Steam games.
That too

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Lets hope Outer Worlds is far enough out that Achievements and Cloud Sync would have made it to the store in time for release.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Where are these reported successes? I sure haven't seen them if you can point me to someone talking about how the epic game store helped their sales I would love to see it.

The money doesn't go to valve if you buy a key elsewhere. That's the thing and I know it's hard for you to understand, Also none of those are games valve paid to keep off other platforms.

That was a brain fart, yeah, you're completely right. I do understand and know that, edited the post.

These are not exclusives Valve has paid for, so I'm not sure what point you're making. These developers can sell their games wherever they want.

So...it's just a matter of principle? Because I've been reading A LOT about PC being an "open platform" and why this is so important to the users and market. It's been more than a decade since that was a case, though.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
One year to clear backlog and do a quick replay of Psi-Ops, at least.

It is when everything you do is against the consumers.

My choice of controller? Gone.
My choice to share my library with my wife? Gone.
Choice to play it on Linux? Gone.
Choice to play it as a Chinese? Gone.
Choice to easily play it on my TV without duplicating my screen or doing something else? Gone.
Choice to stream it to an android device and play it in my bathtub? Gone.
Choice to buy it on authorized 3rd party websites that compete with each other to get a good price? Gone.

I mean the client doesnt even have cloud saves and achievements yet? So tell me please, how is it good for me as a consumer, when I could get all the features on another client?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like PC gaming is being attacked.

Rust - Steam exclusive

Out of the first 14 games in the List, 10 of them are exclusively on Steam and are unplayable without a Steam Account and the Launcher. That's the thing. You may be able to buy keys from different stores but the in most cases, all of them just send you right back to steam.

What the fuck are you doing. None of these are exclusive due to Valve's involvement, that's disingenuous.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I fear for Bronson's (and other mods) sanity in the coming months.

tenor.gif

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
It's Steam's fault for storing personal data about Steam on your personal computer? Are you fucking serious?

Do you understand what Spyware is? Do you understand that just because the data's there, Epic can't legally take it?

And are you serious with this shit about no evidence of them taking it? That's not how proving illegal activities works. Ideally one would be hired to look through their code and ensure they're not taking it. Orrrrrr.... They could fucking not harvest that data and just use the API like all the other actual competition.
Do you understand what GDPR is and how it actually works? Or how security in general works?

Epic is using open source code for tracking usage and that code specifically was misreported as "spyware". A lot of the things that the program was doing was just how javascript code runs. The only thing that they probably shouldn't have done is make a copy of steam file, but until they have actually sent that data outside of the machine, they haven't violated anything. Everything else was just internet mob being mad about EGS and confirming their bias.

On the other hand why would you cache supposedly sensitive user data that you have available from WebAPI in an unencrypted file rather than encrypting it or at least storing it in memory? Even epic at least hashed it, rather than storing as plain text.

Also, reading a file that's in plain text is so much easier than using an API that requires OAuth (I assume). It's probably at least order of magnitude difference in implementation time. Should they do it properly through API? Sure, eventually, but when people are crying about lacking features, you have to deliver something that works, the worry whether it's the best approach.