• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
The majority of the programs you use scrape data off your PC, it depends on what it's used for, who it's being uploaded to. And yes, I read that thread. I tend to try and stay away from being a "reactionary". And no, being on 100 storefronts and selling 1 copy on each is not as good as being on one storefront and selling 1000.

Well, it caused enough reaction that steam is now encrypting the data so it has to be somewhat serious, its also super anti-consumer to do it.

I mean selling 100 copies across 100 stores, of course, is not as good as selling 1000 copies in that specific situation but you're assuming that buying off a publisher is going to make that 1000 copies on one store happen? I mean is not selling 1000 copies on 100 stores just as good? Does the consumer at all matter here?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That's shitty. That said, because I'm not in a region with shitty pricing, it's a simple double click of a different launcher away, so I'll probably just make my purchases on the Epic store instead of Steam. So far I haven't had any issues with the launcher or store, despite the stupid and awful exclusivity deals. I understand that this is a deal breaker for some, and I'm glad there are people principled enough to delay their purchases to show their displeasure with this practice.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Maybe that will force Valve to create first party content that incentivizes and drives consumers onto its platform...or wait. Shoot. Did that make too much sense?

I think we all know what the obvious, and more sensible/likely alternative is. Even if Valve makes a new release, that's only one or two games every 5-6 years. Valve will simply start moneyhatting their own exclusives, making the situation worse.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Valve has their work cut out for them if they want to compete with Epic's burgeoning status as a platform for new games. Devs and pubs know that first week sales are lucrative and are looking to maximise their revenues with both paid exclusivity deals and the higher sales cut that EGS offers.

If the Metro Exodus sales are anything to go by, most people don't care about what launcher they have to use. They just want to play games and they already have a PC. Platform features like communities are secondary or even irrelevant when there are so many other services that offer the same thing (eg Discord, Reddit, Era).
What? Did Epic share the sales numbers for Metro Exodus on their store?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Check out a list of game releases of last year and see how many PC games were released on anything but Steam. I'll spoil the result for you: It's a small minority.

Most PC games are Steam exclusives.

Are they paid to be exclusive to Steam? Does Steam create a deal or something special locking those releases from only being on Steam? The issue many have is that Epic is creating timed exclusive deals that lock the game out of possibly being on any storefront but EGS and or the Storefront of the dev.

Steam does not do this.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This was bound to happen. I am curious how fast EGS is burning through money for those exclusives.
What I'm curious is what sales do all these games even expect to get in EGS? I mean, they obviously don't expect a lot as otherwise why the 1-year exclusivity clause instead of full exclusivity?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Legally theft needs a physical thing. Morally you can easily argue it is theft or something similar to it. Legally it is not. It is copyright infringement and then there are certain cases when you duplicate it or share a copyright protected product. Downloading something is also a different thing than uploading it.

Hach :D

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, more games for me to ignore for at least a year.
Check out a list of game releases of last year and see how many PC games were released on anything but Steam. I'll spoil the result for you: It's a small minority.

That's not even remotely true.
Not that I've seen. I would like to see those sales numbers.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, it caused enough reaction that steam is now encrypting the data so it has to be somewhat serious, its also super anti-consumer to do it.

I mean selling 100 copies across 100 stores, of course, is not as good as selling 1000 copies in that specific situation but you're assuming that buying off a publisher is going to make that 1000 copies on one store happen? I mean is not selling 1000 copies on 100 stores just as good? Does the consumer at all matter here?

I mean at the end of the day, the developer making enough money to continue to do business is the most important thing here, not how that game is delivered to the customer. Customer's rights are second here, then the important of the publisher is third.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Hey epic, still ain't buying a single game on your launcher. Y'all can fuck on outta here, and to the devs accepting these exclusivity deals- y'all losing your game purchases from me full stop.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to wait for a sale for Outer Worlds, but now probably day 1 unless it gets horrible reviews.

EGS exclusives keys on Humble is also huge.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss something? I know people aren't fans of having another launcher, especially one with less functionality but totally writing off a game you were previously excited for over it?

They're still coming to Steam, but just later.

Source for that Valve paid for each of those?

Or maybe devs just didn't want to release on paltforms other than Steam?

Just vague "Metro Exodus sold 2.5x in first few weeks compared to Last Light Steam Sales".

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell remedy. How can you do me like this? My own countrymen. This one hurts the most as it was my most hyped single player game for the year. I trusted you Sam.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
I'll remember every developer taking the Epic cash and make sure to not support them in the future. I also care about money and more importantly the integrity and business practices of those I hand my money to.

The Epic store is a disgusting piece of spyware, but hey fuck consumers / potential customers over a bag of money, that has a really nice look to it!
you can definitely take that stance, but these decisions usually come from the publisher, not the devs

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all know what the obvious, and more sensible/likely alternative is. Even if Valve makes a new release, that's only one or two games every 5-6 years. Valve will simply start moneyhatting their own exclusives, making the situation worse.
I don't really see a point in moneyhatting games vs the EGS when they don't really get many games outside of the exclusivity deals.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Are they paid to be exclusive to Steam? Does Steam create a deal or something special locking those releases from only being on Steam? The issue many have is that Epic is creating timed exclusive deals that lock the game out of possibly being on any storefront but EGS and or the Storefront of the dev.

Steam does not do this.

People also don't mention that even if a game is only on Steam there are dozens of offical third party sellers fighting it out you can buy from. On EGS it is only EGS and Humble, they just announced Humble as a partner right?.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Welp. I just removed Outer Worlds from my Steam wish list. No use in having on there now. Maybe if I remember about the game in a year I'll look into it then.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Did you intentionally miss the spoiled part of his post?

You mean the part that is not actually put as a spoiler, and that appears as a slightly darker bar over slightly less dark background if you use the Era Dark theme? I mean, it took me a good 20 seconds to find it even after you pointed out there was a spoiler.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Epic is expecting to pound PC gamers into submission by reaching some kind of critical mass.

This is all really quite unfortunate.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm okay with a few games every 5-6 years. Sure as hell beats 0.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I mean at the end of the day, the developer making enough money to continue to do business is the most important thing here, not how that game is delivered to the customer. Customer's rights are second here, then the important of the publisher is third.

Well, that's just sad, I often stand up for developers and apparently I a consumer of products they make don't matter.

I would have hoped that a store that supports consumers would be positive in the eyes of developers simply because people are willing to spend money in places they trust that have features they want.

EGS features are lacking for a store released in 2019.

But apparently who cares I'm just a person that buys games.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Epic, you're not going to win me over with moneyhatted exclusives. It's one thing where consoles do it because first-party studios or hyper focusing on one console for performance, but this is strictly execs in an office trying to make the most money possible.

Provide a real, material selling point to me as a consumer.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like games taking free promotion and months / years of free alpha testing on Steam and taking the Epic moneyhat shortly before release becomes The Cycle. The game had some nice potential but I doubt that it can build a user base in the EGS.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I can wait. It's not like there are decades of games and movies I can play/watch instead in my backlog.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's possible to sticky a post about the common sentiments against the Epic Game Store and maybe even a general FAQ about PC Gaming because I'm seeing the same tired conversation play out over multiple months.

The way that I will cope with all these games being unavailable on Steam is just to pretend that they would've never come to PC otherwise. I remember when Steam was starving for games and multiplatform didn't typically include PC. So in a way, it's fantastic that pubs/devs are rabid to get their games on here now. Not here for the attempts to price gate PC games. That's the real burden of exclusivity.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, that's just sad, I often stand up for developers and apparently I a consumer of products they make don't matter.

I would have hoped that a store that supports consumers would be positive in the eyes of developers simply because people are willing to spend money in places they trust that have features they want.

EGS features are lacking for a store released in 2019.

But apparently who cares I'm just a person that buys games.

Steam isn't doing enough for the developers is the problem. Let's give a hypothetical here, if you're a dev and Epic offers you $4000 up front, and 90% of revenue on $8000 of sales, would you rather have that or 70% of $10000 of sales on Steam? I know which I would choose.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
And that came from Epic?

If games were actually more successful on Epic than Steam, they wouldn't have to moneyhat them.

Thats why they said Metro Last Light, not Redux.

Last Light has 20k-50k sales on Steam. Last Light Redux 2m-5m on Steam.

Having your sequel sell 2.5 times the previous title is a massive success, no matter how vague the numbers are.

The prequel would be "Last Light Redux", not "Last Light". Redux was far more sucessful than the original Metro versions.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
People that think this is a sound business decision on both ends are only fooling themselves. The developers included. This is not something that promotes a prosumer attitude for having healthy competition.

How epic can stregthen their store is to do it the way valve started out which is have games from your own publishing that you own on your storefront. They don't own anything they just are making a storefront exclusive deal.

Valve started out with Half-life, Halflife multiuplayer that they then expanded when they got counter strike on there. Then had the orange box with team fortress 2 which blew up, followed by left for dead 1 and 2, portal 2, dota.

That's what they need to do, locking games for 1 year exclusivity is a shitty thing even if developers are getting good deal, it's not a long terms good idea to force people to come to your store because you locked a game that originally was going to be on multiple storefronts, or at least sold key wise on different sites.

All this does is show they are trying to force you not compel you to buy games on their store. They should have just concentrated on making a bunch of really big interesting games on their store specifically MP games.

Hope steam soon responds with better deals, or unionization for studios happens where they can make their own terms of distribution.

They own literally the biggest game on the planet...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who stopped gaming on PC regularly around the time Steam started turning things around and gaining traction, this is all incredibly fascinating to watch play out. Reminds me of when Microsoft burst on to the console scene buying up content left right which spawned all the 'M$' and moneyhat jokes/memes.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you proud of promoting moneyhatting and spyware?
Are you proud of spreading misinformation that was gathered by someone who claimed they have no expertise in it? Unless there's actual evidence of data being sent to epic, steam is actually more at fault there. They are like facebook who made your personal data accessible. Unless there's actual proof that epic did something wrong (sent data outside of your machine), they aren't at all like Cambridge Analytica and didn't violate your privacy.

And yes, I hate steam and love that someone is actually doing something to get bigger market share to be able to compete with steam in the long run.