• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling melancholic due to the fact that this move made me realize that I have to start buying games on Epic Store.
giphy.gif

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I dread to think about what E3 will be like

2019 is just a total fucking write off at this point.
Welp no chance Epic Store isn't my nod for Fail of the Year
Tim and Sergey have quickly cinched my personal most hated personalities in gaming for sure.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Rain
Beyond Two Souls
Detroit

I can't wait to enjoy these at 60FPS.....two of them for the first time.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
These were the same people mad and hand waving when I brought up Fortnite profiting off black creatives with no credit nor monetary compensation

Now they mad that Fortnite money is fucking up their game accessibility

PRIORITIES

Well yeah, something that affects them personally is going to take the priority, regardless if it looks silly or not.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Glad to see more competition in the PC platform space. Also happy to see developers getting what I assume to be good minimum sales deals for the exclusivity window.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Outer Worlds went from a day 1 purchase to a 'wait until $10 purchase' for me. Unless I misunderstood the OP. Is it coming to MS Store day 1? Even so, that store is terrible so I'll probably still wait.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Since i cant buy a key elsewhere for Outer Worlds it looks like ill wait till it hits Steam, shame

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointed to hear that these games have all been delayed a year, however I'm liking Epic's new spyware-free web client and pricing model for early access:

epic-games-bay-v5k9m.png

This is obviously a joke, not an endorsement or promotion. Don't pirate games.

I wonder if the games going to the Microsoft Store will be on Game Pass, and if there will be new hardware to run RTX games at high frame rates by the time Control is released on Steam.

It's also one thing to be paying for exclusivity, but another to be paying companies specifically to not do business with one another store. I wonder about the legality of that - it reminds me of Intel paying companies to not carry AMD hardware, for example.
And Steam really needs to add some kind of clause to prevent companies from advertising their game on the service for months, only to sell exclusivity to someone else.
Funnily enough, this "client" you mention has less spyware than Epic Store.

Oct 25, 2017
Epic must be shelling out so much cash. Fortnite will probably allow them to keep doing it for a good while but I wonder how long they'll keep doing it because there's no way I can see this as a good business strategy.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I guess my question is this: if Epic did not money hat these exclusives, what would it take (if anything) for you to use EGS over Steam? Would more features be enough?
Matching the basic features Steam had 10 years ago would be a decent start.

What needs to be made clear here is that we aren't talking about a platform that doesn't support some obscure features.
We are literally talking about something that's far worse -- in terms of feature set -- than fucking Games for Windows Live was in 2008.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but looking through this thread sure is interesting.

I guess my question is this: if Epic did not money hat these exclusives, what would it take (if anything) for you to use EGS over Steam? Would more features be enough?

I'm just wondering, since Steam is a borderline monopoly, how another company could really get into the PC gaming storefront and start seriously competing. I know most people would agree healthy competition is good for consumers, but most seem to think Epic is going about it in the wrong way.
It's simple, offer a service with features comparable to, or surpasses, Steam while not being spyware.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to feel like an idiot for spending a huge sum on my new PC. Good one Tim Sweeney... so much for him being such a friend to the PC gamer.

I guess its consoles now and steam sales in the future. Fuck this is so upsetting. I now actively hate fortnite for what it's allowed Epic to do.

Glad to see more competition in the PC platform space. Also happy to see developers getting what I assume to be good minimum sales deals for the exclusivity window.

What's the competition of store exclusives in the PC space again? I'm talking for consumers, not developers. At least Steam isn't spyware.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gabe Newell:

"In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the U.S. release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty."

I do sadly think piray will increase when it comes to games being EGS exclusive until they are released on Steam. It's not something I want to happen as piracy is not a good thing, but Gabe is on point with that quote.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I buy games for the games, not the delivery system, I'll be fine either way.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Good job Epic Games Store. Steam encouraged me to become a predominantly PC like 10 years ago and Epic Games Store is pushing me back to consoles. What a fucking joke.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Ok I snapped out of it. It's just a year. Anything I want to play I'll buy on my Xbox instead.

Thanks Epic

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man, I hate the EGS and what it wants to do to PC gaming but FUCK this talk of Piracy. You pirate something, I hope you get fucking cryptoware that spreads to your weekly back up drive in addition to your boot and storage drives.

I was wrong before. The devs/publishers don't force us to buy anything and we owe it to them not to steal from them. Add that to my other post.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda funny how consoles are becoming more democratized (Microsoft publishing on Nintendo, Nintendo letting indie devs use their IPs) while PC is becoming more like console wars.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
The best part is that most developers just see a wad of Epic short term cash. Given the employee churn in the industry, I really don't blame them. Pump out a game, grab the cash and move onto the next game. The game industry in general has always been short-sighted with the exception of a few companies like RockStar. Last year, I spoke at length with C-Levels and upper management at a few events. Virtually none of them cared about customer lifetime value or retention. It was mind blowing. We as gamers think of loyalty to game companies as "fans". Rest assured, most game devs have no such feelings about consumers. A lot of the blame lies with the "loyal" gamers themselves who get outraged at every little thing.

A shit situation all around.

I'm just waiting some some devs to call me a liar and that they "truly" care. Whatever. Maybe in the past, not anymore as a general rule.

Even if the devs do most publishers dont .. For a publisher a game is an investment and they expect returns on it, whether its come from Steam or EGS or some other deal ..

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just wondering, since Steam is a borderline monopoly, how another company could really get into the PC gaming storefront and start seriously competing. I know most people would agree healthy competition is good for consumers, but most seem to think Epic is going about it in the wrong way.

Steam is not, nor ever has been a monopoly.

Epic could offer the games at a discount over Steam where devs get the same total revenue comparatively and generate interest in their store organically as cost conscious gamers check it out. This achieves the same goal while also generating goodwill with the customers.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: drive-by trolling
Is this why Gabe teased a new Half Life game? I guess Valve actually has to start making games now.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I've commented on the arrogance that Epic have been running with recently before, and moreso then the moneyhatting the one thing that is illustrating that most is their refusal to acknowledge peoples expectations when it comes to well established features, ones that Steam have had for over a decade in some cases.

If you're gonna irritate the shit out of people by forcing them onto your platform, you had better make damn sure it is at least competitive with their preferred platform, instead of just giving them the finger and effectively saying "you buy on our platform or you don't play the game you want to play for 12 months". It stinks of punishment for wanting to use a different service.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, the devs (read: publishers) already get paid. We get the games (all fixed up with patches) a year later for 50% of the price. Not a huge issue imo. There's more than enough good games coming out on other non EGS platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's simple, offer a service with features comparable to, or surpasses, Steam while not being spyware.

Pretty much this, Don't force users to use a subpar service due to the fact that you got exclusivity in terms of games. I mean really, what motiviation does EGS have in really making a robust service when all they just have to do is get exclusivity? Its bullshit really.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with games going exclusive for a year or whatever, because when they do show up on Steam they should be at 50% off or lower, my typical buy point.

Got plenty in my backlog to play through anyways. Thanks for saving me money!

Oct 26, 2018
Completely and utterly fuck Epic and fuck Obsidian
I genuinely wanna see how much these 1 year agreements do for sales. I havent seen any numbers yet for the ones already out.

Outer Worlds especially youd think Obsidian would value the sales theyd get from multiple services but i guess the fat paycheck was too hard to resist.

....y'all do know that obsidian have nothing to do with this, it was their publisher

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this why Gabe teased a new Half Life game? I guess Valve actually has to start making games now.
No conceivable half life game would change anything about this situation.

It wouldn't stop EGS from buying exclusives.
It wouldn't make devs and publishers stop taking exclusive deals.
It wouldn't keep consumers from going to the EGS for those exclusives.

This is a really weird red herring.