• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to do anything really.

Exactly so I don't really see the problem bringing that stuff up.

I mean sure if you'd rather the devs get paid significantly less and maybe can't fund their next game because of "steam community pages" and shit, sure

Lol yes I'm sure the developers of Pillars of Eternity (literally crowdfunded by their fanbase and just bought by Microsoft), Detroit (multi million seller from last year at $60), Assassin's Creed and the like are having trouble finding an audience.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Was about specking put a new rig but forget it I'll just build one with a mid tier gpu I refuse to deal with epic just going to stick with console

tsmike

Oct 27, 2017
"Welcome to the future. Try not to break it."

The fucking theme of the game is corporations buying everything and they sold out.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's a lot of money saved on not buying all these game at full price this year! Thanks, Epic.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

dhMeAzK.gif

Spot on. Sure, some developers may not be flush with cash, but neither is the consumer, I pay more money for a game with less clientside features? My money slides right back in my wallet for the eventual universal client release a year later, and I'll probably wait another 6 months or so to get it at a vastly discounted price.

We average joe workers aren't just SWIMMING IN CASH you know?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very disappointed to hear that these games have all been delayed a year, however I'm liking Epic's new spyware-free web client and pricing model for early access:

epic-games-bay-v5k9m.png

This is obviously a joke, not an endorsement or promotion. Don't pirate games.

I wonder if the games going to the Microsoft Store will be on Game Pass, and if there will be new hardware to run RTX games at high frame rates by the time Control is released on Steam.

It's also one thing to be paying for exclusivity, but another to be paying companies specifically to not do business with one another store. I wonder about the legality of that - it reminds me of Intel paying companies to not carry AMD hardware, for example.
And Steam really needs to add some kind of clause to prevent companies from advertising their game on the service for months, only to sell exclusivity to someone else.

Hope you devs are happy by having your games pirated, if you sign epic contract your deserve it.

Good to see where the priorities of certain Era users are. If I can't get it on my storefront of choice I'll just LITERALLY FUCKING STEAL IT.

Fuck off with this.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but looking through this thread sure is interesting.

I guess my question is this: if Epic did not money hat these exclusives, what would it take (if anything) for you to use EGS over Steam? Would more features be enough?

I'm just wondering, since Steam is a borderline monopoly, how another company could really get into the PC gaming storefront and start seriously competing. I know most people would agree healthy competition is good for consumers, but most seem to think Epic is going about it in the wrong way.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I gave up PC gaming because of Steam fifteen years ago but wanted to return this year. Now I'm not so sure anymore. I'll need to buy a new PC because my PC is too slow for Windows 10 and Windows 7 won't get any support next year, but it doesen't have to be a gaming PC.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This thread is a prime example of the "gamers" going too far to think developers and this industry are their "friends"

This shit has always been a business since Day 0. Developers are going to what's in their best interest to remain profitable and stay afloat in a competitive marketplace. EGS is providing the money to do that, its really simple.

Your job as a consumer is to judge what you find as valuable, do what you can to take advantage of discounts or offers to buy what you want at the best price possible. If something bothers you about the product, you have full 100% rights to not purchase it. Nobody forces you to do anything.

Posts in here act like you NEED these games to live. On Day 1, with not a second to waste. Like you dont have an assload of games to go back and play while you wait for the year period to expire and have more options or better pricing. Like have some common sense here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play games on PC so I'm not attuned to Steam (don't even have it installed) or GOG or anything, but is so many people's disappointment simply down to having one more launcher/store on their desktop? Does it take a massive amount of space or something? Genuinely wondering if I missing something.

We had discussions about it. It's rather easy to follow, really.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
So, when in a year all those things will be available on EGS store, will you be fine with it ?
At least I'd be. Although I still prefer the choice of launcher/PC platform.

Outer Worlds looks amazing. Too bad I will wait until it's on a huge discount at Steam. Good thing though my backlog's still piling up, so I won't be in need of playing it at launch. Epic's forcing me to wait, save money and buy a patched product. At least the one positive thing about that.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I said it before and will continue to say it. On a site so progressive in so many great ways, CorporateEra is the weirdest fucking Era of them all.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that it appears to be getting a mostly negative reaction on Twitter and here. Hopefully sales of the game on the Epic Launcher are low and deter them from continuing to moneyhat.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but looking through this thread sure is interesting.

I guess my question is this: if Epic did not money hat these exclusives, what would it take (if anything) for you to use EGS over Steam? Would more features be enough?

I'm just wondering, since Steam is a borderline monopoly, how another company could really get into the PC gaming storefront and start seriously competing. I know most people would agree healthy competition is good for consumers, but most seem to think Epic is going about it in the wrong way.
Bette prices, which they have, but giving people the option to buid their libraries on the clien of their choosing.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I was eating a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie from Insomnia before I opened this thread
Those were happier times
I want my cookie back

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Epic is really coming out swinging.

But what I REALLY want to know is a release date for Outer Worlds.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointed to hear that these games have all been delayed a year, however I'm liking Epic's new spyware-free web client and pricing model for early access:

epic-games-bay-v5k9m.png

This is obviously a joke, not an endorsement or promotion. Don't pirate games.

I wonder if the games going to the Microsoft Store will be on Game Pass, and if there will be new hardware to run RTX games at high frame rates by the time Control is released on Steam.

It's also one thing to be paying for exclusivity, but another to be paying companies specifically to not do business with one another store. I wonder about the legality of that - it reminds me of Intel paying companies to not carry AMD hardware, for example.
And Steam really needs to add some kind of clause to prevent companies from advertising their game on the service for months, only to sell exclusivity to someone else.

Poster literally said don't pirate. Mods I think you should revisit this.

Will be buying TOW a year later on steam. Disappointed for sure.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
And consumers are not mischaracterizing developers ? I see quite a bunch of greedy developers comments here. Yes the developers are looking for money because you know they have a studio to run, people to pay. The Epic deals are too good to pass on. And its not like they are asking you to pay more or there is any other barrier of entry to EGS other than downloading a client.

The best part is that most developers just see a wad of Epic short term cash. Given the employee churn in the industry, I really don't blame them. Pump out a game, grab the cash and move onto the next game. The game industry in general has always been short-sighted with the exception of a few companies like RockStar. Last year, I spoke at length with C-Levels and upper management at a few events. Virtually none of them cared about customer lifetime value or retention. It was mind blowing. We as gamers think of loyalty to game companies as "fans". Rest assured, most game devs have no such feelings about consumers. A lot of the blame lies with the "loyal" gamers themselves who get outraged at every little thing.

A shit situation all around.

I'm just waiting some some devs to call me a liar and that they "truly" care. Whatever. Maybe in the past, not anymore as a general rule.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Big oof. Bigger oof for those with their panties in such a twist they're actually talking about pirating the game.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
If Metro Exodus sales are anything to go by, the vast majority of people don't care which launcher a game is on. PC is PC.