• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This really sucks as Linux user.

I don't play games on PC so I'm not attuned to Steam (don't even have it installed) or GOG or anything, but is so many people's disappointment simply down to having one more launcher/store on their desktop? Does it take a massive amount of space or something? Genuinely wondering if I missing something.

EGS doesn't work on Linux.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play games on PC so I'm not attuned to Steam (don't even have it installed) or GOG or anything, but is so many people's disappointment simply down to having one more launcher/store on their desktop? Does it take a massive amount of space or something? Genuinely wondering if I missing something.

No.

The point is people like the Steam client because it has further advanced the way people game on PC...the hell you can now play PC games on a couch as if you were playing a console. Also, it's not just people want a game only on the Steam service...devs can put their game on any storefront and/or service they want as many times. People want choices...choices is what brought piracy down in the PC gaming landscape. However, Epic is throwing bags of money on games to "stall" their game coming to other services or to be frank, Steam, so they can have it on the Epic store. It's robbing people of choosing where they can play.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Steam needs to lower their cut.

Also TOW having 0 mod support and store exclusivity sucks.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
this valve loyalist bullshit is infuriating. INDEPENDENT GAME DEVELOPERS ARE NOT SWIMMING IN MONEY jesus christ
I'm a developer, but I don't pretend that my personal income should change the perspective of my customers.

I don't have a problem with developers making whatever decision they want.
I have a huge problem when they pretend they are doing it for their customers (or act confused as to why anyone would care).

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
this valve loyalist bullshit is infuriating. INDEPENDENT GAME DEVELOPERS ARE NOT SWIMMING IN MONEY jesus christ

And it's a consumer facing business at the end of the day, that's the market they're in.

I don't like their shit, and plenty others don't. We're perfectly entitled to not buy things on this basis.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017

For me it's the fact that I end up having to pay more for these fucking games because of the Epic store, I had to cave and get The Division 2 on GMG for the discount hours before the official launch date, otherwise I would have had to pay full price.

Also the fact that Epic is doing shit like mining Steam friend info and play history and the fact that their accounts keep getting easily hacked. I wouldn't be surprised if we're months away from seeing articles saying "millions of Epic accounts hacked" but sure, like everyone likes to say in their hot takes, "it's just another launcher tho."

Edit: From just a couple of months ago.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vba5nb/fornite-login-hack-epic-games-website

Bugs on Epic Games Site Allowed Hackers to Login to Any 'Fortnite' Player's Account

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sucks to see so many games getting their PC version delayed by a year.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, when in a year all those things will be available on EGS store, will you be fine with it ?
They've come out very openly in opposition to some of those things, so in a year the chart may look a little more balanced, but I doubt it'll be "all those things." I doubt, for instance, they'll ever institute family sharing or anything like it. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy
Very disappointed to hear that these games have all been delayed a year, however I'm liking Epic's new spyware-free web client and pricing model for early access:

epic-games-bay-v5k9m.png

This is obviously a joke, not an endorsement or promotion. Don't pirate games.

I wonder if the games going to the Microsoft Store will be on Game Pass, and if there will be new hardware to run RTX games at high frame rates by the time Control is released on Steam.

It's also one thing to be paying for exclusivity, but another to be paying companies specifically to not do business with one another store. I wonder about the legality of that - it reminds me of Intel paying companies to not carry AMD hardware, for example.
And Steam really needs to add some kind of clause to prevent companies from advertising their game on the service for months, only to sell exclusivity to someone else.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What would really be brave when you have a verified tag is put what game studio you work at. I wonder if the antagonistic commentary would be different

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
And consumers are not mischaracterizing developers ? I see quite a bunch of greedy developers comments here. Yes the developers are looking for money because you know they have a studio to run, people to pay. The Epic deals are too good to pass on. And its not like they are asking you to pay more or there is any other barrier of entry to EGS other than downloading a client.
Wrong on all counts. You are paying more money, Steam codes are free to put on 3rd party sites by the publisher, so you have properly licensed codes selling on 3rd party sites with 8-25% discounts at launch depending on the publisher /store. With EGS, the keys aren't free for 3rd party sites and only Humble is allowed to sell so far.

Other barriers for EGS include no freaking cloud saves for your games, no controller APIs so good luck using PS4/Switch controllers without 3rd party hacks, and many many other features it lacks like no achievements, no built in mod support, no message boards, no proper VR support, etc.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also we can agree that the time to react from Valve is getting tighter by the moment?

They need to do something, and no the lowered cut they did months ago is not nearly enough and effective.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Afterparty: Oxenfree devs, I gotta have it 99x
Control: Remedy, I gotta have it
Dauntless: f2p Monster Hunter, was great when I tested it
Spellbreak: Gotta have it
Outer Worlds: Gotta have it

I'm toast

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Very disappointed to hear that these games have all been delayed a year, however I'm liking Epic's new spyware-free web client and pricing model for early access:

epic-games-bay-v5k9m.png

This is obviously a joke, not an endorsement or promotion. Don't pirate games.

I wonder if the games going to the Microsoft Store will be on Game Pass, and if there will be new hardware to run RTX games at high frame rates by the time Control is released on Steam.

It's also one thing to be paying for exclusivity, but another to be paying companies specifically to not do business with one another store. I wonder about the legality of that - it reminds me of Intel paying companies to not carry AMD hardware, for example.
And Steam really needs to add some kind of clause to prevent companies from advertising their game on the service for months, only to sell exclusivity to someone else.
Did you make this image? Lol.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Thankfully I'm not interested in any of these games. Outer Worlds wouldn't have been a buy until it's like $15 anyways so not within the first calendar year in theory.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Said in a thread amongst a sea that freely insults developers trying to get a better part of their own cake by going to the EGS.
They can get an up to 18% better part of their own cake without taking the one year exclusivity bribe.

Or are they afraid customers would opt for the better service that results in 70% per unit?

It's much easier to stifle competition rather than offer a better product/service.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about half of steam's features or installing another launcher, plus devs get a better cut. Sounds just fine to me. Can't wait to play The Outer Worlds. I don't care what platform it's on.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Won't pretend that it's not disappointing, 'cause it is.

But if anything it's cemented the fact that I will never touch the EGS.

I'll live. And I'll still have plenty of games to enjoy either way, so it's all good.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I'm not a valve loyalist.

I have over 50 PC games, in boxes. Yes for real.

Devs don't owe us shit. Not ports, not our preferred storefronts, not our preferred platforms, nothing. We owe them NOTHING in return.

Once money changes hands, we don't owe each other shit.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Chines gamers cant use EGS.
Linux gamers cant play games on EGS if there isnt a linux version.
I cant share games from EGS with my wife.
I cant use a steam Pro controller if I want.
I cant easily play the game on my TV if I want.
I cant check out guides on the overlay.

etc.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Steam needs to lower their cut.

Also TOW having 0 mod support and store exclusivity sucks.

This has nothing to do with cut. Developers and publishers are going for the money Epic pays upfront. Proof for that is 1 year exclusivity and from today deal with Humble where cut between developers and humble will probably stay the same as it was for Steam games.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For different people it's different reasons. For me personally, I use some Steam features like Steam Controller, Big Picture, In-Home Streaming and such, so I like to keep my games on one client. Some games are easy to add to Steam as Non-Steam Games, especially DRM-free ones, but games on other clients like Origin and EGS add DRM to the game which makes launching them through Steam more difficult, meaning I lose all those Steam platform features.

The community have made workarounds for a lot of clients through apps like GloSC. Battle.net, Origin, and even EGS games can be added to Steam without too much difficulty nowadays, but it's still a nuisance and you do lose functionality. Plus, if Epic changes anything on their end, it could break in an instant. It's far from ideal.

The other issue is more of a philosophical one. I have less of an issue with buying games from other clients assuming I can use my preferred Steam features with them, but I disagree with Epic carving up the PC gaming landscape with console-style exclusives that stifle competition on the platform.

Hope that helps!

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

I have more games on GoG than on Steam. But i value developers not only for their talent but also for their principles. Announcing your game on Steam and GoG and then making it a timed exclusive means that the devs that pull this do not care about the same values as me. And it is ok.

Their games will either happen to my backlog free, used or after a deep sale from a store front that does not spy or moneyhat.