• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll sooner buy it on the Windows store before giving Epic a dime. I hope Valve has an answer for all this exclusivity. Its eventually gotta start hurting their bottom line if all these big titles are aren't coming to Steam for a good while.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
It's not really a siren... it's a gigantic bag of money. Publishers aren't selling their game to customers on EGS, they're selling exclusivity to EGS. Game sales don't matter in this equation. It doesn't matter if people actually buy the game on EGS, at least not to the publisher.

I was talking about me lol

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't play games on PC so I'm not attuned to Steam (don't even have it installed) or GOG or anything, but is so many people's disappointment simply down to having one more launcher/store on their desktop? Does it take a massive amount of space or something? Genuinely wondering if I missing something.

I'd think this was a joke coming from an admin but I can never be sure. It has been explained countless times in countless threads even this one.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
I'm sure it's nice to get a fat stack of cash from Epic, but you don't have to insult people too.

I apologize if that came off as an insult to anybody that was not my intention but it is kinda of frustrating seeing the greedy devs take on these deals , the same way I am sure its frustrating as a consumer to see the deals.

Also if I had a nice fat stack of cash from Epic I certainly wont be here posting on forums :)

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play games on PC so I'm not attuned to Steam (don't even have it installed) or GOG or anything, but is so many people's disappointment simply down to having one more launcher/store on their desktop? Does it take a massive amount of space or something? Genuinely wondering if I missing something.
The 12% instead of 30% cut means that even were Epic to start making these games available on third party key sites, there's no room for any discount in a store cut. So this shit is more expensive for consumers. Epic's feature set is smaller. There's no family sharing on the Epic store. No achievements. No in-home streaming. It's very barebones. EGS is just a crummy experience in comparison to Steam, and being strong armed into using it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that the vast majority of complaints are leveled at Epic and not the developers, though. It's the developer's prerogative to take a better deal if they so choose, but it's Epic that's at fault for trying to circumvent legitimate competition this way.

I'd have no issue at people taking jabs at a massive company like Epic because I couldn't care less about them, but yeah no there's a flood of people calling the developpers cheap cashgrabs or that kind of stuff on era (and elsewhere to be honest).

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has more to do with feature set. EGS does not offer as much as Steam. If EGS offered a comparable suite of features I doubt people would care as much, then again if EGS did offer enough they wouldn't need to moneyhat exclusives.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only buying Epic Store games if they're announced as Epic exclusives upfront. If Borderlands 3 gets announced as an exclusive next week, sure, I'll get it. The Outer Worlds and Control had pages on Steam ready, so I'm not touching those until they actually show up there.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian games will get my money where ever they sell. If they released as a Switch Exclusive, I'd be buying a switch right now.

Goodluck with your boycotts

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The day EGS dies like GFWL, it will be glorious. Fuck Epic and fuck Swenney. In less than a year, that fucker is trying to screw other storefronts and the PC Space.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
And consumers are not mischaracterizing developers ? I see quite a bunch of greedy developers comments here. Yes the developers are looking for money because you know they have a studio to run, people to pay. The Epic deals are too good to pass on. And its not like they are asking you to pay more or there is any other barrier of entry to EGS other than downloading a client.

Are the games free? Because other than "We spending money so you can only buy them through us" there is no reason for me to invest in their ecosystem.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EGS is missing many features I use when I game on PC on Steam. I want the choice to buy it and play it on the launcher I desire.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Lock down the publishing contracts. Drop the cut to 18%. Incentive publishers to stick with Steam. Valve is sitting on a massive pile of money and doing nothing with it. Epic is sitting on a massive pile of money and doing something with it.

Yeah, SteamVR, their internal network announcement, Steam Proton, Source2... Not doing anything

Oct 25, 2017
That's a solid take... if you completely skipped all discussions of this so far.

If so, here, to bring you up to speed:
perspectivesv6e5w.png
this valve loyalist bullshit is infuriating. INDEPENDENT GAME DEVELOPERS ARE NOT SWIMMING IN MONEY jesus christ

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
It's not really a siren... it's a gigantic bag of money. Publishers aren't selling their game to customers on EGS, they're selling exclusivity to EGS. Game sales don't matter in this equation. It doesn't matter if people actually buy the game on EGS, at least not to the publisher.
What

EAs entire catalog is exclusive and they have more pull than basically all of these times exclusives that that are picking up. Origin still isn't really a steam competitor. Not really seeing their point but they can keep on trying i suppose. People use their launcher for these exclusives and then nothing else.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outer worlds looks too good to pass. Sorry going to EGS. Unfortunate but I am a gamer first brand loyalty later. I gotta go where the games I want to play are at. Or better yet if the game performance is good then will skip PC and get it for Xbox one X. Atleast won't have to give EGS money.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018

no it really dosnt, its inconvenient in the sense it takes a little more amount of effort to open up and close the launcher. Yes you will lose some great steam features that epic does not have but the game will be completely playable start to finish without any real difference for most. I think this epic vs steam thing is getting really overblown and im sorry to say this but if your having problems with it now, expect it to get worse. Epics not going to let up and developers arent going to say no to the money, they are a business at the end of the day through and through.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

It's not that, it's just that some people like all their games in one place rather than scattered about on other launchers.

I don't game much on PC either so in regards to myself, it's not really a hassle or annoyance, but I have a few PC friends who only buy games on Steam so they can take advantage of all the features and have all the games right there.

Hopefully everyone buys it on MS Store just to show them all.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft just announced their biggest IP on Steam.

And you think it's not an epic money hat?

When every game by Private Division is going Away from Steam?

I think you misunderstood me, I'm just trying to clarify confusion on the original posters comment. I meant that Epic moneyhatted their way to a one year exclusive deal and it'll also be available on the MS store, but after the one year point it WILL be on Steam. OP thinks that it's not coming to Steam at all.

Fuck Epic. I wish that was my sig.

It's not that, it's just that some people like all their games in one place rather than scattered about on other launchers.

I don't game much on PC either so in regards to myself, it's not really a hassle or annoyance, but I have a few PC friends who only buy games on Steam so they can take advantage of all the features and have all the games right there.

Hopefully everyone buys it on MS Store just to show them all.

It goes beyond that, it's also about Epic taking away choice. PC gaming was never about walled garden until these assholes decided to throw their moneybags into the game.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy
Hope you devs are happy by having your games pirated, if you sign epic contract your deserve it.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
No problem? Just playing a fun game and all. :P

These were the same people mad and hand waving when I brought up Fortnite profiting off black creatives with no credit nor monetary compensation

Now they mad that Fortnite money is fucking up their game accessibility

PRIORITIES

I wasnt bothered by the EGS gameplan but I can see why it annoys some. Im not a huge PC gamer either but I have built up a nice steam collection and it does have nice features like the achievements or control mapping. IDK if EGS supports modding? So to see EGS barebones at the moment, you don't really know what the service will provide before you start investing in a collection with them.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
EGS fanboys and steam's detractors are always quick to point out that there are a whole host of games that you can only get on Steam. But many of those are there simply because it was convenient for the developer. I'm also referring, though perhaps not wording it well, in particular, to third party exclusivity. I have less moral objection to first party exclusivity, where games are often made with some degree of responsibility on the part of the publisher to advertise their own platform.

Yes, because Steam is pretty much a monopoly on the PC market. If you're game is not on Steam, it pretty much doesn't exist and Valve can do wherever the fuck they want to devs because they have anywhere else to run. That's why devs are happy with EGS, Steam's been pretty crappy for most developers in the last few years and now they have competition.