• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That is really bad hot take / bait from verified developer.
What are you the lead developer of? Just curious.
Developers that don't understand why we're having a problem with this

I feel for you

iXMaUIi.gif

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to play Sinking City, Control, and Outer Worlds...

tenor.gif

Fuck me...
2019 is going to be the year of the backlog then

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really hope people do not jump with theses timed exclusives. Halo MCC and Apex Legends should help reducing the Fortnite incomes. That should make this madness stop in some time.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well at least I can buy it on the Windows Store. Not a sentence I thought i'd be typing in the year of our lord 2019.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
So wait

Borderlands 3 gets announced next week and all signs point to that being EGS exclusive as well. Then there's Metro Exodus and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw which are also exclusive.

Their siren song is working

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And consumers are not mischaracterizing developers ? I see quite a bunch of greedy developers comments here. Yes the developers are looking for money because you know they have a studio to run, people to pay. The Epic deals are too good to pass on. And its not like they are asking you to pay more or there is any other barrier of entry to EGS other than downloading a client.
They actually are asking me to pay more, though. Lots of key selling sites, including official ones, had discounts on preorders and new games. Epic Game Store ensures this doesn't happen. Division 2 was the first PC game I've bought at full price on launch in a long ass time.

EGS costs me money.

(I didn't buy Division 2 from EGS, though, and wouldn't have bought it at all if not for the social pressure of playing with friends. Fuck EGS.)

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
They get paid upfront

Damn, so its a true gamble for the to see if they are really eliminating sales or fully profiting over wide distribution.

Honestly, if the moneys right, the smart choice is to take the check. Every sale after the exclusivity period is only going to put you over. And we're seeing alot of Devs taking that money so its gotta look nice.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Enjoy your PC console wars for the next 5 years.

Again its super fucked up Durante of all people has to explain to devs/consumers why this is bad but here we are as usual.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And consumers are not mischaracterizing developers ? I see quite a bunch of greedy developers comments here. Yes the developers are looking for money because you know they have a studio to run, people to pay. The Epic deals are too good to pass on. And its not like they are asking you to pay more or there is any other barrier of entry to EGS other than downloading a client.

Subpar feature set and anti consumer tactics are barriers of entry for me.

But yes I'm sure Ubisoft are Take Two were really hurting for money. After all, RDR2 and AC:O only sold dozen millions of copies.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So wait

Borderlands 3 gets announced next week and all signs point to that being EGS exclusive as well. Then there's Metro Exodus and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw which are also exclusive.

I would assume all of the games Gearbox is announcing next week are EGS timed exclusives

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't play games on PC so I'm not attuned to Steam (don't even have it installed) or GOG or anything, but is so many people's disappointment simply down to having one more launcher/store on their desktop? Does it take a massive amount of space or something? Genuinely wondering if I missing something.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I can't possibly fathom ignoring a game I was previously excited for because I'll have to click on different desktop icon to launch it. Baffling.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Epic is doing a fine job at splitting the developer and gamer community. Thank you Tim Sweeney for your fine and non greedy contributions to gaming! /s It's one thing to offer a higher cut to developers which is something all storefronts should do, including Steam. But timed exclusives should not exist in the gaming industry.

Let the developers make the decision as to where they want their games to end up and don't force it on them with stupid contracts promising money up front, that is anti-consumer and anti-competitive.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I'm really curious about how much money theyve spent total on all these exclusives. This stuff is really going to add up, especially with bigger titles.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't play games on PC so I'm not attuned to Steam (don't even have it installed) or GOG or anything, but is so many people's disappointment simply down to having one more launcher/store on their desktop? Does it take a massive amount of space? Genuinely wondering if I missing something.

I'm more worried about my data being put onto a Chinese server courtesy of Tencent.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much the only kind of exclusivity.
EGS fanboys and steam's detractors are always quick to point out that there are a whole host of games that you can only get on Steam. But many of those are there simply because it was convenient for the developer. I'm also referring, though perhaps not wording it well, in particular, to third party exclusivity. I have less moral objection to first party exclusivity, where games are often made with some degree of responsibility on the part of the publisher to advertise their own platform.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So wait

It's not really a siren... it's a gigantic bag of money. Publishers aren't selling their game to customers on EGS, they're selling exclusivity to EGS. Game sales don't matter in this equation. It doesn't matter if people actually buy the game on EGS, at least not to the publisher.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume all of the games Gearbox is announcing next week are EGS timed exclusives
Yup, and people can't use the "Take 2 said putting exclusives in the Epic Store is not good business" card because the Private Division deal shows that was bullshit. It's happening, and it probably will be permanent exclusive, even.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Said in a thread amongst a sea that freely insults developers trying to get a better part of their own cake by going to the EGS.

I would argue that the vast majority of complaints are leveled at Epic and not the developers, though. It's the developer's prerogative to take a better deal if they so choose, but it's Epic that's at fault for trying to circumvent legitimate competition this way.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
And do what? Also start purchasing exclusives?
Maybe a tiered cut? Its just a flat cut right now right? i mean, besides the newly implemented mega sales one. The majority of games on Steam are single player and dont need leaderboards or matchmaking or cheat detection or workshop yet they still get charged the same right? If thats not the case already it should be changed.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know guys. I may drop my standards for some of these.
I can deal with the sub part features if it is just a single player game like Control.