• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Agree with what most others are saying here. It's an ok game that wouldn't have been so hyped if FO76 hadn't happened. Outer Worlds is sort of like a diluted Fallout game. Everything feels static. There's not enough variety locations/items/enemies/places to really encourage me to go and explore. Combat is ok. Perk/Looting is kind of ok. Writing is really good though, and I felt that my choices did matter for the story. Had a lot of fun by maxing out my dialogue skills.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I enjoyed it for what it was. I liked having an rpg that didnt take 50+ hours to finish. I think I just missed this style of game done well, aka bethesda style game since Fallout 4 and 76 were misfires for me. So yeah that definitely colours my views on this game to liking it more than most seem to.

I thought some of the side quests were really enjoyable and I liked all three of the female companions though didnt like either of the male companions.

I mainly liked how intelligemce and charm actually mattered in this unlike fallout 4 which had like no personality checks.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Dropped it due to there being zero threat. You just stomp everything really early on and it became a cakewalk mid way through. Don't know if they patched it, I know I wasn't alone in feeling that way, but I only played the release month so I don't know (or care.)

I hope the sequel is better I guess.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
The weapons sucked the loot sucked but I loved the game but Bethesda isn't doing anything like it anymore I guess.

I did like the companions, story & world.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You can thank FO76 for that. If you didn't like the first world, you definitely won't like what comes after that since the pacing gets a lot worse.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people think the writing is any good. It's a trite experience with shallow environments and characters. The biggest problem I had was that it was embarrassingly easy.

I was annoyed that it lacked proper 21:9 support and kept waiting for a patch fix. Meanwhile, so many commented on the relative ease of the game, even on the highest difficulty, that I just stopped caring and waiting to play at all.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot personally, I think the trick is to keep your expectations in check. The writing took the game pretty far for me.

I'm more excited for a sequel with a bigger budget.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Its definitely a good game but not like a 9 or 10 out of 10. I laughed reading your post though because you said it was easy on hard. I thought the first planet was quite hard on hard and thought "cool, that's what I want". It gets waaaaay easier after that!

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Man I remember when it came out and after playing for a few hours I was just really bored with this game.
I also remember looking at Resetera what people were thinking of this game immedietely afterwards and everyone was praising the shit out of it, something I just couldn't understand or agree with.

Now before I entered this thread and only reading the title I was like: "Yes, so much this! But I'm sure the people won't agree with you" - seems like I was wrong tho? It's kinda weird seeing so many people that agree with OP, considering it felt like the complete opposite when the game just came out.

With that being said: I'm with you, OP. It's a heavily flawed game and the only thing I really liked more than Fallout 4 for example was the story and that it was more polished.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's more of a well written game than a well designed one.

Through out my time with the game I keep saying ''this is better, f*ck Bethesda'' to myself but honestly I enjoyed Fallout 4 like 10 times more, it really solidifies my belief that story & writing doesn't really matter as long as you have good game design & good gameplay.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
If you approach it as a mid to low budget game it's cool.

Game definitely lacks variety especially if you try your second pass. It's almost impossible.

Idea and World is great, but it lefts a lot to be desired. I hope that sequel will have more time, ambition and bigger team.

It has potential to be pillar of Obsidian, but it's not there atm.

They need to add more desolation and points and more crowds at points, also balancing is the biggest issue.

That's the points where New Vegas shines the most.

Last edited:

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
It's very underwhelming. Story isn't that interesting and it's way too easy (even on the hardest difficulties). Got to Monarch and realized it wasn't getting any better. Haven't picked it up again and have no desire to. I was quite disappointed in it.

I enjoyed Fallout 4 much more than this personally.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
None of their games are bad, though, not even Dungeon Siege 3 because it offered what only a handfull other games, if any, up to this date, ARPG offers: full coop experience with up to 4 people. Hack and slash with fully voiced dialogs and heroes, and decisions to make while supporting 100% coop, that means even your buddies engage in conversations, like in Star Wars The Old Republic. It's also not just hack and slash where you stand opposite an enemy and hack away and almost automatically heal all the incoming damage. It requires effective blocking and dodging and timed attacks.

Hell yeah. I genuinely like DS3. It does things I wish more ARPGs would adopt and refine. In addition to the things you listed, I loved the almost MMO-lite bosses with multiple phases and alternating between having to attack or outmaneuver or change targets.

Also anyone negatively comparing it to the first two games are straight up off their damn rockers. Those games were braindead easy and were (rightfully) criticized at the time for being too simplistic.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
This game seems to have an overall tepid reaction everywhere I look: Here, Gamefaqs, Reddit, /v/ (lol), Something Awful, YouTube, Twitter, and random RPG sites.

I think the one two punch of people wanting to stick it to Bethesda after Fallout 76 pissed the bed and TOW introducing itself as being made by the same people who mad Fallout 1/2/New Vegas got people hyped up.

I disagree, I think the game mostly gets 'great' ratings and high praise, but the reception acknowledges the the games difficulty, combat and art style let it down. Some people are put off by how dated it feels, others are less bothered by the narrative and just want good gameplay, which TOW isnt the game for; so it definitely has a target audience.

Plus... And i'm going to say it... Knowing that the sequel is going to be an Xbox exclusive garners a lot of negative user feedback form...some people.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Feel like opinion massively shifted on this game. Starts off strong but it really funnels you down a rather linear narrative by its end. Which is a shame.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I haven't tried it, but early impressions suggested it wouldn't be for me. I really just can't get along with first-person RPGs (especially the Bethesda-style ones). I will never not be aware that my character is walking around with a weapon held bolt-out in front of them and how ridiculous that would actually look if I pulled the camera back.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thoroughly enjoying it at the moment together with Ori. The quests are much more interesting than the last fallout I played and the banter is also quite amusing. I understand people finding it repetitive in a sense though and I must say that the perks aren't really all that interesting to me personally. But a very good basis for a new series.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
It wasn't bad, but really bland and boring IMO. Felt very by-the-numbers for the kind of game it was, and further drove home something I've felt for a long time: the reactivity of NPCs/world in Bethesda's titles (and New Vegas) is crucial for these kinds of things to grab me.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can see the hype after fallout 4 and fallout 76 usually avoid non kill quests and have very drab writing. IMO outer worlds also has much better world building and if you are reading the texts you can infer a lot of what is going to happen to the storyline.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
One of my friends said it perfectly as it feels more like an expansion to another game that doesn't exist.

That being said, I still enjoyed the game enough to finish a playthrough but I pretty much lost the plot less than halfway through and none of the characters other than Pavarti are actually interesting. By the credits I really didn't care what was going on storywise.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I wish people realized that most narrative games have bad gameplay because it's not their focus. Regardless - the gameplay is better than fallout 4, which is their only competition in the genre. Additionally, what they really focused on, game choices and story , is better as well.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Swimming in sevens baby.
Nothing wrong with that.
Game is decent but nothing more.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's a good game that looses its lustre about half way in when you're doing the same thing over and over and doesn't really elevate sadly.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I would definitely agree it's a 7/10, but was still enjoyable and worth playing.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
It's downhill from there.

I hate to second this sentiment, but yeah. The writing is good, but this definitely feels like a game constrained by budget not by talent. The different worlds feel so disjointed and you REALLY start to miss the open world go anywhere connectedness of New Vegas or Fallout 4.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
World, characters, and writing are fun and carry the game. Game itself is clearly limited, and not meant to be a Fallout-scope experience. Difficulty is also trivial (though this isn't really much different than Fallout 3 or 4 - you eventually become an overpowered destroyer-of-worlds).

I'd like to see an Outer Worlds 2 with time and AAA budget behind it. I think a sequel with that kind of scope and depth really could eat Fallout's lunch, so to speak.

As it stands, it was a fun time, with some clear limitations due to budget. I'd probably give it an 8/10. I think a 7 is too low, but I also think some of the breathless 9s and stuff were too high. But most importantly coming off finishing a game - I'd like to see MORE of it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I loved the game, especially its characters, and really hope they make another one.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I hated the Hardcore mode (I can't drink from... rivers and lakes?) and the Combat (we need pauses, not that slowmo shit).

Stil waaaaaaaay better than Fallout 4, tho.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I wish people realized that most narrative games have bad gameplay because it's not their focus. Regardless - the gameplay is better than fallout 4, which is their only competition in the genre. Additionally, what they really focused on, game choices and story , is better as well.

Maybe, but it was released at the same month as Disco Elysium, that has one of the best narratives ever.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I loved the Outer Worlds. That being said it suffered from being made to be a game similar to fallout without the budget.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
It's ok. I lost interest after a few hours (completed the first major settlement quest line). I think, as some have said, it was too easy and therefore no tension.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a pretty good game and better than recent Fallout games. Considering the people involved with it, though, I feel it was a mild disappointment.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I played through the first planet and ready to go the second one.

it's been ok so far I guess but also a bit boring and bland. Everything just seems really focus tested and cookie cutter? The controls etc are decent as well as the gameplay including the combat. The skills and levelling up all seem interesting in regards to skills and bonuses you can unlock. I like the open ended nature of how you develop your character.

however I can't quite put my finger on why exactly there is nothing remarkable or special about this game?

like it hasn't grabbed me in any way. Should it have? I sidedbwith the greenhouse people and routed power to them but I really didn't care for either side if I'm honest. I just didn't care for any of the characters. It feels like the game is trying too hard with the characters dialogue. The character models also look like Skyrim levels too.

also the premise is odd..you reach your destination but it all seems a bit bleh as if you might as well not even have had the backstory to begin with as no one really knows anything about you or cares.

the gameplay loop isn't engaging me either. All I seem to be doing is hoovering up items so I constantly break them down and it gets old and boring fast
The weapons hardly seem to make any difference and the game seems far too easy as well. I'm playing on hard.

there's a lot of crap you collect in your inventory and I'm getting tired of looking through it. Most of the items are just trash even the food and water seem useless as I never need to use them. Managing weight is annoying too as you accumulate that much stuff in minutes you're always being encumbered.

don't get me wrong these problems aren't unique to this game even fallout had them but it feels gameplay wise I'm playing a game from like 11-12 years ago.

Does it get better and did anyone feel the same about it?
its not bad, it's not great either. Tbh, if you have completed the first planet, everything else is the same, no rise in challenge level either.
My recommendation is that, just stop there, and play other games.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Played for 4 hours and stopped. Shallow, easy gameplay with no meaningful rewards. The story after the world is buillt up as "corporation own everything" is only ok, voice acting is good, ost and sound FX are ok. If the backstory doesn't grip you after the first hour, there's very little about the game that rises above mediocrity.

Only way I'd finish the game is if it was filled with NPC's voiced by Keith David, Katey Sagal, Tony Jay, Simon Templeman and Anna Gunn hamming it up, but it isn't.

Corporations own everything is a portion of the story, not the whole story, the actual meat of the story is presented a bit later.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Though I felt ripped off buying this for $60 at launch, I enjoyed playing but had to stop due to one fatal flaw. The game was insultingly easy. Has the difficulty been patched up or rebalanced at this point? I stopped playing Thanksgiving '19.