• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Three things that I think might be hot topics

- There's no third person mode.
- Companions can't be romanced.
- Player character isn't voiced, but can be customized (can be seen in inventory screens, in the panning idle camera , etc).
I'm fine with all of that, really. I'd love the option to change between third and first person, like in Skyrim, but eh, I can live with that.

I'm more on the fence that it's hub based rather than being open world.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to self-promote, but I don't get opportunities like this often so I'm gonna do it anyway (Sorry, mods let me know if this is not kosher), I got to write a preview of the game for RPG Site after visiting the studio last week. We also have an interview with the Senior Narrative Designer.

- Player character isn't voiced, but can be customized (can be seen in inventory screens, in the panning idle camera , etc).
Good stuff man! Reading this now at work.

Third vs. first-person I'm honestly neutral about. I'm cool with either, and with something like Fallout I usually just stay in first-person anyway.

Same with having a voiced protagonist. I don't mind it either way, though I may have a slight preference towards no voice when you have dialogue trees. One of the things that bugged me in Fallout 4 is that the dialogue options didn't always match what your character would actually say. So there was some weird dissonance there from time to time. With the no-voice route, you know exactly what the game is using as your response (and it helps speed things up a bit when you don't have to wait for your character to verbalize what you just read).

Oct 27, 2017
London
I hate to self-promote, but I don't get opportunities like this often so I'm gonna do it anyway (Sorry, mods let me know if this is not kosher), I got to write a preview of the game for RPG Site after visiting the studio last week. We also have an interview with the Senior Narrative Designer.

Lack of third person and companion romance is a slight negative for me. Third thing is a strong positive. I never really use 3rd person but I want to take a look at my character and their look and outfit occasionally which is the only thing I've used it for in these kinds of games. I seem to be in the minority with the companion romance thing though, people on Obsidian forums strongly dislike romances in RPGs. Didn't really miss the lack of romance in Pillars of Eternity though and I felt that it was lame in PoE 2 because of being poorly done so I felt that if they were gonna half ass it they should have left it out.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I liken it more to like an evolution from the things you saw in Fallout: New Vegas," Boyarsky said, "where the characters are much more integrated. [...] I don't want to necessarily make comparisons between the two, but they're both from the same DNA. Let's put it that way."
giphy.gif

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm personally more than fine with how the game looks. Obsidian was never going to jump from isometric to AAA world-beaters. And I think the art direction is pretty good.

A graphical note though. Seems like out in the field NPCs will have a slightly less detailed model, and then this is swapped with high-quality one once you engage in conversation with them. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. Like this part in GI's footage.

Oct 27, 2017
London
In theory I am fine with companion romance. In practice though I find that it turns out to be awful the majority of the time.

Odd argument they're using where they argue that it actually increases roleplaying potential though by 'not being tempted to bend to every character's whims'. If anything it reduces the roleplaying. If I want to roleplay a flirtatious space captain for lolz ('report to the ship, we'll bang OK') then it's odd that the designers won't let me.

The biggest concern I have, though is that the game world and story will be much too whimsical. Good story telling doesn't go with a world and lore that doesn't take itself seriously at all. Case in point: Divinity Original Sin 1.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Odd argument they're using where they argue that it actually increases roleplaying potential though by 'not being tempted to bend to every character's whims'. If anything it reduces the roleplaying. If I want to roleplay a flirtatious space captain for lolz ('report to the ship, we'll bang OK') then it's odd that the designers won't let me.

I can see that argument. Deadfire's romance had its problems but i tried to play a flirty captain and was very happy when the person i was romancing pretty much told me to fuck off when I sided against her faction. I just think most people hate the Bioware way of doing it where your companions throw themselves at you regardless of anything else. Well that and the cringey way most companion romances are written.

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of third person and companion romance is a slight negative for me. Third thing is a strong positive. I never really use 3rd person but I want to take a look at my character and their look and outfit occasionally which is the only thing I've used it for in these kinds of games. I seem to be in the minority with the companion romance thing though, people on Obsidian forums strongly dislike romances in RPGs. Didn't really miss the lack of romance in Pillars of Eternity though and I felt that it was lame in PoE 2 because of being poorly done so I felt that if they were gonna half ass it they should have left it out.
How long ago did mom give me away brother? I feel the same as you.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Romances have never once ever been interesting once in the dawn of video game "fuckable computer AI".

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
The only downside I see to this game is lack of third person, but even then it's not enough of a downside to weigh down all of the cool stuff they're putting in. Can't wait.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
The Outer Worlds |OT| A Star in Another Field
The Outer Worlds |OT| Starfield New Vegas
The Outer Worlds |OT| This Fallout is Unreal

Too soon?

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So people are taking the "created by/developed by" to be some kind of insult against Bethesda. Should they have used Temple of Elemental Evil and Dungeon Siege 3 instead for the kind of game The Outer Worlds is?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This is the most exciting "mainstream" game announcement for me in a long time.

Well, we see why MS bought them now. Looks like they may still have it.
"Looks like they may still have it" is a somewhat weird statement given that Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 are some of Obsidian's most recent games, and also their most highly rated releases ever. (And for good reason)

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So people are taking the "created by/developed by" to be some kind of insult against Bethesda. Should they have used Temple of Elemental Evil and Dungeon Siege 3 instead for the kind of game The Outer Worlds is?
It's a strange sentiment for sure. Citing past accolades as being the original creators of the beloved Fallout and the developers of fan favorite New Vegas when revealing your brand new RPG is exactly what I would do as a marketer. I highly doubt it's intended as some kind of ding, it's just great marketing.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
"Looks like they may still have it" is a somewhat weird statement given that Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 are some of Obsidian's most recent games, and also their most highly rated releases ever. (And for good reason)
Its been almost a decade since New Vegas. For a lot of people im guessing Obsidian just totally fell off the radar after that.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad there's someone making games like these. Top-down throwbacks are nice and all but this kind of RPG with some AAA production value (almost at least) is something I really want. It's nice to see Obsidian make a game like this since AP/Fallout: NV.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

I suggest you dive into the thread reporting they've been sold. In that thread I learned that obsidian lost all their talent long ago and can no longer make good games.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

Many (most?) of the people on this site are only interested in AAA console games. Isometric CRPGs might as well not exist in their minds.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
It's a strange sentiment for sure. Citing past accolades as being the original creators of the beloved Fallout and the developers of fan favorite New Vegas when revealing your brand new RPG is exactly what I would do as a marketer. I highly doubt it's intended as some kind of ding, it's just great marketing.
Agreed, and I think a big reason people are thinking its a dig at Bethesda is largely due to how poorly Fallout 76 has been received and is still very fresh in everyones memory.

Of Machines

Jun 30, 2018
Unreal 4.

Just for reference, they used Onyx (proprietary) for Stick of Truth, and of course Unity for Pillars/II/Tyranny. Alpha Protocol was Unreal 3.

Edit: Era bugged out on me and this post was only a short scroll up, didn't realize it was from way earlier today, sorry.
Thanks for the reply,friend!

Yeah you're absolutely right. They also used Onyx for Dungeon Siege 3. Wonder if they'll move forward with UE for their future projects as a Microsoft Studio or stick with their engine.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The use of color in the game to change theme and atmosphere was incredible in the demo. And not in the pink Rage2, Far Cry splashes kind of way.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally! New Vegas is easily my favorite RPG off that Bethesda engine (as much as I enjoyed Oblivion), I can't wait to try this out. I wonder if any sequels will be exclusive with Obsidian being bought out or if somehow this franchise will still be independent of that.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
This was my most anticipated game before the reveal and even more so now. Looks like everything I was hoping it would.