• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Looks interesting AND is releasing on Steam?

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'd love to see a AAA take on Pillars of Eternity as well, with the budget to really allow Obsidian to do what they dream of doing and maintaining their creative freedom. Not sure if I want Outer Worlds as a franchise yet, have to see how compelling the lore and world is to me. Not a huge fan of the retro futuristic aesthetic to be honest.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
That 15 minute slice was somehow really jarring, especially when one of the conversations ended with 'before I forget, Auntie Cleo's is the real stuff, not that Spacer's Choice shit' line. I get it's a company town and this is partially about space capitalism run amok, but I gagged a bit reading it. Even the air belongs to Auntie! I do go for that kind of satire but in moderation. That felt laid-on-thick, but I wonder how representative this clip is.

And then, when it's time to subdue the rapticon, you use a computer terminal... and it looked like the Fallout 4 terminal with a nicer typeface. A bit of deja vu there, aesthetically. #GiveUsGUI

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Your companions don't have separate inventories. Taking companions with you just gives you more inventory space to work with yourself

THANK YOU.

I have yet to see a different 'good' way of having to sort through a companion's inventory that isn't tedious.

I can also agree on the lack of romance - New Vegas didn't need them, and given how blank-slate you appear to be as the protagonist, I can see them not wanting to have to balance that lack-of-characterization (outside of player choice/headcanons) with the trickiness of structuring a relationship system that is meaningful (unlike Fallout 4's, in which someone loves you if you lockpick enough things).

The only real downside I see so far is the lack of intrinsic mod support in the same way that New Vegas had.....but here's hoping!

edit:

Wait a second - weren't 'flaws' basically present in New Vegas? Like having the 'four eyes' selected, and having -1 perception until you picked up (and wore) some glasses....

I guess flaws are a bit different here in that it's an explicit drawback with getting a 'different' free perk, but the intent seems similar.

Apr 21, 2018
Maybe it's been discussed, but can someone explain to me why Microsoft doesn't just cancel the PS4 version? Even if it's deep in development, this seems like a game that would be a really attractive exclusive. I figured that's why they bought Obsidian in the first place...

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Maybe it's been discussed, but can someone explain to me why Microsoft doesn't just cancel the PS4 version? Even if it's deep in development, this seems like a game that would be a really attractive exclusive. I figured that's why they bought Obsidian in the first place...

That's not something Microsoft does, thankfully. I really appreciate their stance on this, because now they own the IP. I do expect future sequels to be exceptionally more polished and actually exclusive, however.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Because Microsoft is not publishing the game, Private Division is. They will let the game get done and have the game release on all platforms as agreed just as they did with We Happy Few and as they are doing with Wasteland 3 from InXile.

Secondly, there is a benefit to this game being multiplatform seeing that the IP is owned by Obsidian. If it is a critical and commercial success, it forms a key title that Microsoft could publish if they can get the publishing rights conundrum figured out.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
No lockpicking mini-game is a dream come true and I hope it doesn't change. Those fucking mini-games are probably the worse thing Bethesda inflicted on RPGs. After Oblivion every big RPG had to have lockpicking and/or hacking mini-game. Even the decent ones got annoying as shit after a while.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft isn't the publisher.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people keep saying it.
It doesn't resemble modern Fallout that much, and it surely doesn't resemble the Fallout games Tim Cain actually directed.
That said, both the directors for this game were also the lead for Vampire Bloodlines, and GOD if I'm hoping some of that will show in this one, way more than I care about any Fallout resemblance.

If they manage to capture some of that same magic in this game I will lose my mind. i have waited over a decade for a game to hit the highs of Bloodlines.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any word yet from Obsidian on whether or not it'll have a third person mode/toggle? I really need to know this before I get hyped. I want one last Obsidian game to enjoy before they go exclusive, but first person only is an instant dealbreaker for me.
is there some reason u can't play their games after they go Microsoft?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
yo is that scientist fucking ian mcshane

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
The stars aligned with the timing of this game footage / announcement and the unfortunate disaster that is Fallout 76. I feel like this shit is going to sell boo-koo partly due to the fact that people will purchase it as a big 'fuck you' to Bethesda. I'm curious.

Day 1, btw - just the fact that it's F: NV team / Obsidian.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Microsoft isn't the publisher, Take 2 has had publishing rights agreed for a long time. Not fulfilling the contracts would be a really shitty thing to do and wouldn't help the future relationship between Microsoft and Take 2.

Also, this exact situation has happened before: Microsoft acquired Bungie in 2000 and then Bungie released Oni on PS2 in 2001, again fulfilling their publishing agreement with Take 2.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Who must I speak to to confirm that Al Swearengen is in this (space) frontier town

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
What's the structure like? Is it fully open world? It doesn't seem like it is. Looks to be more hub-based areas?

Apr 21, 2018
Microsoft isn't the publisher, Take 2 has had publishing rights agreed for a long time. Not fulfilling the contracts would be a really shitty thing to do and wouldn't help the future relationship between Microsoft and Take 2.

Also, this exact situation has happened before: Microsoft acquired Bungie in 2000 and then Bungie released Oni on PS2 in 2001, again fulfilling their publishing agreement with Take 2.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense and is very interesting. I wonder how that might affect DLC or future releases in series (wonder if take2 owns the rights to the franchise)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Because I don't own an XBOX and I don't have a gaming PC. And I don't get paid nearly enough to rectify either of those things.

What if I told you that starting in like a year, you'll just be able to stream those games and still get to experience them? No need for Xbox hardware or a beefy PC.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It leaned way too hard into Borderlands territory for my taste, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. The pedigree is undeniable.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I hate to self-promote, but I don't get opportunities like this often so I'm gonna do it anyway (Sorry, mods let me know if this is not kosher), I got to write a preview of the game for RPG Site after visiting the studio last week. We also have an interview with the Senior Narrative Designer.

Three things that I think might be hot topics

- There's no third person mode.
- Companions can't be romanced.
- Player character isn't voiced, but can be customized (can be seen in inventory screens, in the panning idle camera , etc).

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
With MS/Obsidian keeping the IP this feels like weird publishing deal for Private Division. I guess originally the thinking was if the game was a hit maybe take two could make an offer on the studio or something? I went back and re-read Gameinformers article and still don't fully grasp what step two would have been once the game releases and is a hit or not. I guess they can still hope its a big hit and make money.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to self-promote, but I don't get opportunities like this often so I'm gonna do it anyway (Sorry, mods let me know if this is not kosher), I got to write a preview of the game for RPG Site after visiting the studio last week. We also have an interview with the Senior Narrative Designer.

- Player character isn't voiced, but can be customized (can be seen in inventory screens, in the panning idle camera , etc).
Thanks, I'm reading it now.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense and is very interesting. I wonder how that might affect DLC or future releases in series (wonder if take2 owns the rights to the franchise)

I believe Obsidian owns the franchise — so Microsoft owns it — given that's Private Division's purpose. Take2 may have publishing rights, tho the way Outer Worlds was introduced as a new universe — if I'm remembering correctly — then I think Microsoft will work out a deal with Take2 to get the next games published. Similar to Mass Effect being published by Microsoft but then going to EA when BioWare was purchased.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Day one on PC. Surprised they haven't already announced exclusively for the Epic Game Store since it's looking like an Unreal Engine title. That 88%+ share has to look real good for Obsidian and 2k.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles

These are all positives for me.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden

Also no dialogue wheel.

Weeeeee!

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Anyone know how much of the staff working on this actually worked on New Vegas?

I know its the same developer but haven't a large number of the staff left Obsidian since then?

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I am sure this was likely in the legal documents when MS acquired Obsidian. This may very well be their last multi-platform release.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for clarifying. At least they're honest about it. It's still incredibly, incredibly disappointing, but at least they didn't build my hopes up the way CDPR did.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hey Era I've been curious as to what engine Obsidian is using for the Outer Worlds. Is it Unreal 4 or their own proprietary engine?

Unreal 4.

Just for reference, they used Onyx (proprietary) for Stick of Truth, and of course Unity for Pillars/II/Tyranny. Alpha Protocol was Unreal 3.

Edit: Era bugged out on me and this post was only a short scroll up, didn't realize it was from way earlier today, sorry.