• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh...they said Fallout: NV meets Mass Effect meets Bioshock

Day fuckin 1
tenor.gif

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so good.

There is definitely a little bit of jank to it, but I don't really care considering how promising everything else looks

Oct 27, 2017
London
Only gripe is whether I can see the protagonist's face and outfit on occasion as well like in a mirror or something.Video said there would be CC so I hope this isn't going to be a NMS perma helmet ambiguous protagonist. I will Day 1 this for sure. Obsidian needs that support.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I love how the glove has no body attached to it and it's just floating in the bottom right corner.

Yeah, it bugs the fuck out of me honestly. One of those things I can never not notice.

Not gonna lie, it's bugging me that you have your gun pointed out with your arm while just running around the world and talking to people. RDR2 really made me rethink video game presentation.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Only gripe is whether I can see the protagonist's face and outfit on occasion as well like in a mirror or something.Video said there would be CC so I hope this isn't going to be a NMS perma helmet ambiguous protagonist. I will Day 1 this for sure. Obsidian needs that support.

Yeah, I hope that you get to see your character more often in the final game. I'm fine with it being 1st person during the majority of the gameplay, I just would like more shots of my created character during gameplay.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The world looks super interesting with the right amount of wackiness. Combat didn't wow me but it might just be one of those things where it is boring watching someone else do it

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Yep, this is picking up all the Fallout/Arcanum game philosophy tenants. I was already in, but yeah, finally seeing it makes me giddy. And the "flaw" system seems like another fantastic adition to the traits/perks.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hope that you get to see your character more often in the final game. I'm fine with it being 1st person during the majority of the gameplay, I just would like more shots of my created character during gameplay.

I believe the pcgamer article says that you can see your character in the inventory screen, and if you let the game idle

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super into the art style, but it's great to see someone taking a crack at a Bethesda-style rpg. I've never understood why other, more technically competent developers, haven't tried.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
was the gamespot write up posted?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/t...ut-that/1100-6463757/#comments-block-33447900

The Outer Worlds, we're told, keeps track of your interactions, mistakes, and tendencies. When the background computations identify that you've experienced a specific event repeatedly, it will give you a chance to incorporate that experience into your character's mental state. If, for example, you are attacked five times by a specific type of wild animal, the game will ask you if you'd like to accept a phobia of said creature. This opportunity is two-fold: accepting the phobia will result in a debuff of specific stats when you come near that species in the future, but by accepting it, you will get the chance to pick up an extra advantage too.

In the example we saw, signing up for a fear of Raptidons afforded you an extra perk. While it was confirmed that you will be able to respec your character at any time, flaws are permanent. You could decide to take on a fear of the dark, fear of ledges, and a fear of fire, and wind up in an unexpectedly sticky situation further down the road. It's the sort of thing you want to think twice about before making a call, but the potential for personal playthroughs feeds into the role-playing experience and may be difficult to ignore.

Im fascinated by this. Only thing that disappointed me is that your ship will act like a base and not something you can control and get into ship battles with :/

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So you aren't voiced, have real dialog trees, get two companions, and the game has VATS?

Super sold on this game.

Does it have V.A.T.S.? They were talking about time dilation, which isn't quite the same thing since you don't essentially pause and select specific body locations. Time dilation...or bullet time, has been done to death since Max Payne and F.E.A.R., but it's better than nothing I guess.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
A voiced protagonist is likely of the reasons why Fallout 4 lacked real role playing. A voiced character would make it much harder for a developer make several different choices because they have to pay a voice actor to say all those things which costs a lot of money. It's easy to add and change the dialogue options in development when you don't have to get them voiced. On top of that a voiced protagonist sucks in a game like this because you can't make any character you want. A voiced character will alway sound a certain way and you can't imagine otherwise. With a non-voiced protagonist you can imagine your protagonist sounding how ever you want. That matters more than most people realize. This was probably one of the biggest factors in why Fallout 4 was a step back in the role playing department. That decision to have a voiced main character has several little consequences that trickle down into the rest of the game.

Plus it's really dumb to read out everything your character can possibly say only then for the voice actor to say exactly what you just read word for word. It's just redundant. We know what you said, bud. We just read it. You don't need to say it again.

I think Divinity 2 strikes a really good balance with this - their six origin characters all have voices in incidental dialogue and certain sequences, but not so much in dialogue options, so you manage to get the best of both worlds and for me, it's excellent - when I read options, I read it in the character 'voiced' voice so, in an odd way, you don't need it all voice acted.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it have V.A.T.S.? They were talking about time dilation, which isn't quite the same thing since you don't essentially pause and select specific body locations.
Not exactly VATS but slowdown enhanced targeting. Which frankly is needed for these games as they have a large audience of people who aren't great at shooters but love the RPG stuff, like my wife.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Really looking forward to this, love the original Fallouts and NV and the Flaw system sounds interesting

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly VATS but slowdown enhanced targeting. Which frankly is needed for these games as they have a large audience of people who aren't great at shooters but love the RPG stuff, like my wife.

I don't have issues with shooters, but I like these kinds of options just so the game doesn't feel so bland and exactly like just another first-person shooter. This kind of stuff prevents me from being bored to tears by the gameplay.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
yeah I was just hoping for more. If they gave me a Rebel Galaxy type of ship control, I'd love the shit out of them lol
I'm sure the idea ran through the team's heads, but with a budget already set and the scope of the game as it is already, adding in a whole new system of ship flying and ship combat, QA'ing that and making it feel right likely would have been a nightmare in itself and taken a long ass time. It still looks great!

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Looking great, I hope its not too difficult to mod as well. That made Fallout New Vegas enjoyable even many years after release. (When I played it for the first time.)

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
O also hoping they allow for mods and the FO/Skyrim Mod community comes over with them, need me my crazy player mods