• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is why there are people who "can't tell the difference." As someone who doesn't have 4K/HDR but may be upgrading this year, I expect a night-and-day difference between my 1080p PS4 Pro experience and my 4K HDR experience, based on how many people on ERA say that it "BLOWS THEM AWAY!"

The last time I was blown away was when I watched sports in HD for the first time. I'm expecting something like that, based on the reactions since HDR was implemented.

Depending on what kind of TV your coming from, I wouldn't expect those changes or you may be disappointed.

Unless your getting an OLED. That will be my next TV. OLED is a huge jump. Just waiting for variable refresh rates to come to market. Like G-sync but for your TV.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's Crazy OP
I currently have a "FAKE HDR" (Samsung 2015 Edition which got a HDR firmware patch later on.

Games like Uncharted,Gears, Horizon, etc all look insane with HDR enable.

I have no idea, but there's something wrong with the TV for sure.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's not mindblowing OP but it's a good improvement particularly combined with 4K. The Insects demo on Xbox and the ability to take a screenshot in HDR and switch between HDR/SDR when viewing the screenshot on an Xbox goes a long way in highlighting the difference.

I'm saying I think that's the problem. That's like, too high.

Not for HDR as far as I'm aware. My B6 OLED will set the Contrast to 100 when in HDR.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The HDR in Horizon is magnificent, but the real showcase is in UHD movies imo.

I went from a non-HDR 4K tv to an mid-range HDR 4K tv and the difference is clear and staggering. It's much more of an upgrade than 1080p to 4k.

What's weird is that I did the exact same thing you did, switch HDR on and off in Horizon, and there were very clear differences... dunno what's going on with your setup.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Vizio P65 blows everyone away when they see games like Horizon in HDR, and movies like Dunkirk and Wonder Woman.

I turn it on and off, and there is a massive difference.

HDR is like taking off a pair of grayscale sunglasses.

More colors. Brighter colors. Darker shadows.

It's amazing!

Maybe it's just your settings?

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the TV and depends on what's being shown.

Horizon for instance looked way more vibrant, but it's already a vibrant game. I feel like the results would be obvious, but i can (sort of?) understand people not immediately seeing them.

FFXV on the other hand was a significant difference, during pretty much every time of day, but especially at night where the benefits of the HDR spectrum are made obvious.

But again i'm not that surprised. I feel like the difference between 30 and 60 frames is extremely obvious but many people claim they can't tell the difference.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This is actually incorrect - OLEDs are not as good for HDR because they are generally darker displays. Something like the Sony X930E and the ZD9 are much better for HDR than any of the OLEDs. 4K resolution is a different topic though, as OLEDs tend to be the best for native 4K resolution.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't comparing a hdr and sdr picture on a 4k hdr tv kind of pointless? The tv will make the sdr image look far more impressive than it would ordinarily be on a non hdr tv. That's the case with the Sony x900e at least.

Yeah, not sure about other sets, but on the 900e, if you want a closer example of SDR to compare to HDR, you need to make sure you also turn of X-tended Dynamic Range (which is on by default in game mode) when in SDR mode. Otherwise, it's simulating HDR. Honestly, it does a good job of simulating HDR (in games, doesn't look as good in movies/TV). Compare HDR to SDR with X-tended Dynamic Range on to SDR without X-tended Dynamic Range. The first two are relatively close, with the HDR having a bit more depth. The latter looks very flat.

wicko

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see if you posted what content you were testing this on, OP, but the content needs to support it. For example, when I was testing FFXV, it wasn't some setting on the TV I was changing, but an in-game option.

It was a very noticeable difference in some scenarios, and less so in others. The biggest thing I noticed was during night time in-game. With SDR, characters were mostly visible, and brightly lit things were visible, but everything else was pretty much black. With HDR, you could still see details in the dark, but bright things still felt brighter. It looked far closer to what actual night looks like, without washing things out/looking like daytime. It was a big improvement. I noticed other little things like much brighter combat effects but night time was the biggest improvement in IQ.

So I'd say if you didn't notice a difference, then you weren't actually turning it on, or the content couldn't effectively use it.

I'm using an LG B6, btw.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I'm with you, OP, right down to the KS8000 ownership. Never noticed a notable difference in games like Horizon and UC4. Hugely disappointing given all the praise I saw for HDR online.

Maybe I'm the problem, idk. I've been gaming portably for the most part lately and I can't even recall the last time I booted up a game that would support HDR on my PS4. It's been months for sure.

I should probably find a good showcase game and give it another try.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely could. The first time I got the KS8000, I tried the opening boat sequence in Uncharted 4 with and without HDR, and the lightning storm on the water was incredible.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This is actually incorrect - OLEDs are not as good for HDR because they are generally darker displays. Something like the Sony X930E and the ZD9 are much better for HDR than any of the OLEDs. 4K resolution is a different topic though, as OLEDs tend to be the best for native 4K resolution.
Actually it's more about contrast ratio than peak brightness. Since OLED has infinite contrast due to perfect blacks, it doesn't need to get as bright.

Also, OP we need to know your SDR settings too

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Are you going directly from your console to your TV, anything in between like A/V Receiver?

I think they way that the light and colors pop out on HDR are pretty awesome.

BTW I have the same TV as you do.

Edit: Nvm you just answered.

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Sony 900E and the difference is definitely noticeable. For me it has been an upgrade similar to the jump to HD. After all of the threads like this one and people downplaying it, I was shocked at how good it actually looked. I still have those "How does this look so good" moments.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Strange. I feel like HDR is a much bigger deal than 4K, yet 4K this and checkerboarding that is all people are talking about.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What do you know old man!
tenor.gif

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I think the difference is fantastic. Sure, it's not VHS to DVD, or DVD to BluRay, but it is a richer experience, and it's one that I can feel the benefit of from across the room. 4k versus 'faux-K' is practically invisible to me like two feet from my TV, and 1080p vs 4k I can't tell from six foot away. HDR remains visible at any distance.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Ok here is another... are you getting the HDR signal? When you are in Horizon, press the Home button on your Samsung remote, and just select the same HDMI input your PS4 is in, the info banner will come down, do you see HDR UHD with aspect ratio next to it in the top right?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have the US version of the OP's TV and I pretty much feel the same. I wonder if it's a settings thing. I adjusted based on the Samsung 4K TV thread back on GAF last year. Is there somewhere else you guys recommend for getting settings suggestions?

Oct 27, 2017
The movie IT on UHD-ray (the new metal gear), is a really good showcase for HDR, it has really vivid colors without the colors popping to much.

And HDR is more an improvment then 1080->4K for me at least.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
65 inch LG B6 owner here, if you can't tell HDR content from SDR it must be your tv config. Playing forza 7 in 4K looks absolutely bonkers in HDR.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, there is still a chance that you have some setting wrong, but maybe you (and your friends) just don't see it really. (which is totally okay)

i know enough people, that cant tell the difference between high end and low end headphones/speakers, or a good/bad calibrated display.
Most people don't even know that most TV Programs are still not 1080.

For me, i see the difference between 1080 and 4k, but its not relevant for me, but HDR is the reason why Im thinking of getting a new TV. (Except that a Monitor would make more sense, and there still aren't many of them)

We are getting in a place of diminishing returns for not enthusiasts with 4K/HDR.

By the way, if you have a Camera were you can fix everything manually (ISO, white balance, stop, shutter, picture mode), even if it cant record HDR, it should interpret the colors and contrasts differently. So if you put a cam in front of your tv, fix everything, and record SD and HDR, there should be a difference. If not, then there is something with your setup.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm convinced people who say they can't see a difference or even saying HDR looks worse just have bad TVs, crap calibrations, or both.

I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled because I'm seeing it on an LG 4K OLED, but games like Horizon are jaw dropping with it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I have a X900E (49 inch) and the games I've played so far have looked incredible. The difference is pronounced, obviously there will be some implementations that aren't as good as others.
From the games I have played, the ones which really stuck out to me were Gear 4, Witcher 3 and Destiny 2. All looked superb in UHD/HDR.

Obviously HDR is still new tech being learnt by developers, but I'm sure future games will really shine with it. I mean, if the above games didn't wow you at all, just look at Horizon Zero Dawn for a reference quality implementation of it.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
OK another thing to try is to change the picture setting in sound/Screen from automatic and for YUV420.

Sometimes the auto does not work and display wrong image type.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
HDR is largely a marketing gimmick like 3D, curved displays, and all that other stuff manufacturers have attempted to make their televisions more appealing.

That's not to say it doesn't improve the image, don't misunderstand me.

Unlike 3D though, there's no additional hardware required so it'll stick around longer.

We live in a world where folks couldn't tell the difference between DVD and BR and willingly bought full frame, pan & scan films. People don't care.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

That is not true.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/hdr
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...nates-latest-public-tv-shootout/#6556eb5e5b3e
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/lg-oled-sweeps-2017-tv-shootout

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably just going to turn HDR off altogether. It's not worth the hassle and either doesn't look any different or makes things look worse.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max Fury Road is the biggest and most mind blowing HDR I've ever seen on my Samsung KS9000 tv. Try that one. Whoever doesn't notice HDR on that movie is completely blind.

To me, Games have a less noticeable HDR than movies too.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I saw gran turismo on a 40" hdr tv from 50 paces in a flourescent-lit best buy and it stopped me in my tracks.

Oct 28, 2017
That's weird, I have an entry level 4k tv with HDR described as 'not proper' and although I can't tell a major difference I can still see that the image in general is much nicer, more realistic.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on a significantly lower spec TV (Sony X800D) and it blows me away so much in games like FFXV, GT Sport, Gears 4 and a ton more. What games/movies have you tested on your set? I am absolutely floored that you and your friends cannot see a difference!

I have even crappier version of that (X720E) and I'm still incredibly impressed by HDR in games like AC Origin and GTS. Yeah your eyes will eventually get used to anything, but once you do just change setting to SDR and see how everything gets smeared by Vaseline.