• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Find the user who made the original, see if they're here, PM them. It's highly unlikely you'll get a useful response here otherwise unless they randomly check in here.

That makes a lot of sense, should have though of that myself.
YsFaEJz.png

Can't seem to PM him though, let's see if a summon works.

crazy monkey

Are you making a Bollywood tread?

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there any thread to discuss DVD/Blu-Ray releases? Not for any specific movie, just general talk.

I did a quick search with some keywords, but didn't see anything in the OP.

Edit: I just realized there's another OT for Hangouts. Sorry about that. (also found a thread that matches what I wanted, so it's all good anyway!)

Last edited:

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Has anyone ever wanted to share or compile a list of tips and tricks for creating OTs? We could maybe add it to the OP, or create a separate thread, to give people some more guidelines or direction. It might encourage more people to create, or give longtime creators new ideas.

I was just starting to streamline a common visual format I liked back on the old forums with my Housemarque OTs. I found a nice balance for both desktop and mobile with stuff like banner pixel dimensions and the subdivisions of visual elements into columns to make everything uniform. Most of it seems to translate here, other than a few small quirks.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just wondering if anyone plans to do a thread for AGDQ? It's a week away and I think the crowd that did the threads in the other forum didn't migrate here.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is there any thread to discuss DVD/Blu-Ray releases? Not for any specific movie, just general talk.

I did a quick search with some keywords, but didn't see anything in the OP.

Edit: I just realized there's another OT for Hangouts. Sorry about that. (also found a thread that matches what I wanted, so it's all good anyway!)
reminder that the OP is for future claims, this thread is not for listing threads that exist.

Has anyone ever wanted to share or compile a list of tips and tricks for creating OTs? We could maybe add it to the OP, or create a separate thread, to give people some more guidelines or direction. It might encourage more people to create, or give longtime creators new ideas.

I was just starting to streamline a common visual format I liked back on the old forums with my Housemarque OTs. I found a nice balance for both desktop and mobile with stuff like banner pixel dimensions and the subdivisions of visual elements into columns to make everything uniform. Most of it seems to translate here, other than a few small quirks.
Been wanting to add some more tips and stuff for a while, but I would want to keep it general and not get too specific into numbers or anything.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Been wanting to add some more tips and stuff for a while, but I would want to keep it general and not get too specific into numbers or anything.

I was going to make an in-depth, number-centric post on how I like to format pictures in OTs. It's still a bit specific, but the general theory can help create nice looking posts.

The short version is that if you design each line to be 1020 pixels you can divide that up into equal columns nicely to give everything a clean look. You could even get really crazy with the math as long as everything adds to 1020. This all works really well if you want to make rows for screenshots, gifs, pictures with text, or any combination of those. Granted, larger resolutions will allow typed text to extend past the pictures, so it might be better to start with a larger number, but then you'll need to combine each row into a single picture so that it scales correctly for everyone on desktop or mobile.

Long story short, math is your friend. If you work around a large number that is divisible by 2, 3, and 5, you can keep everything symmetrical:

RFTXbfs.png

The one quirk I've noticed is with spacing:
  • You can't post pictures on multiple lines without there being a small space between them.
  • You can't make a picture into a link without it adding small space on all sides. I played around with this last night, and found a way to still make nice rows, but it only works on desktop, so I'll spare the details there.
In both cases, you can no longer crop up a large picture and have it reassemble as a uniform picture.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Personally, I'd really appreciate this. Especially since I'm new to creating OTs myself.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
############## DECEMBER 2017 ##############
[ETC] Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror Fiction |OT| by Redcrayon (November 1 2017)
December 31 2017

[ETC] Social Science |OT| Everything is a social construct by ItRhymesWithDoom (october 26 2017)
11:59:59pm 12/31/17

I'm taking these off the list now, guys. You can just post them whenever you're ready but there's no point in having claims for them that I have to check on again and again for months.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I would like to make a Ratchet and Clank OT. I can't make threads until the 4th of January since that is when I would no longer be considered a junior member I believe.

Can I claim this or do I have to wait until then?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
How do I get the ability to make threads in EtcetEra?
Same as games section, you need to not be a junior anymore.
From the FAQ:
In order to move from being a Junior Member to a full Member, two conditions must be met: (1) 60 days must have passed since your account was approved and (2) you must have made at least 100 posts. Once these two conditions are met, your account will automatically be upgraded to Member status.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
sorry if this is the wrong thread, but do we have a thread to report "bugs"? for some reason, my alerts are not showing up when people quote me? I don' tknow what is going on.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So anyone want to work together making a Community topic for the Wheel of Time series? I mean, its pretty big, there is loads to discuss, and we are on the cusp of seeing a huge tv series being announced.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How far in advance can an OT for EtcetEra be posted? Kinda wanted to knock one off and be done with it a bit earlier than normal.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to create a new OT named "DesignEra: Graphic Design in Video Games". The aim would be to show how video games aproach grapic and UI/UX design, discuss and talk about the topic.

How should I proceed?
designera_bannerpqrl4.png

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to create a new OT named "DesignEra: Graphic Design in Video Games". The aim would be to show how video games aproach grapic and UI/UX design, discuss and talk about the topic.

How should I proceed?
designera_bannerpqrl4.png
You do not need to claim threads that are just random threads about a thing or an issue or an idea. If you want to post a Salami OT, or your local bathouse, or about jaywalking while cosplaying as a pixel art frog, just go ahead and do it. No need to go through this procedure.
Just make it and post it like a normal thread. :)

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make an in-depth, number-centric post on how I like to format pictures in OTs. It's still a bit specific, but the general theory can help create nice looking posts.

The short version is that if you design each line to be 1020 pixels you can divide that up into equal columns nicely to give everything a clean look. You could even get really crazy with the math as long as everything adds to 1020. This all works really well if you want to make rows for screenshots, gifs, pictures with text, or any combination of those. Granted, larger resolutions will allow typed text to extend past the pictures, so it might be better to start with a larger number, but then you'll need to combine each row into a single picture so that it scales correctly for everyone on desktop or mobile.

Long story short, math is your friend. If you work around a large number that is divisible by 2, 3, and 5, you can keep everything symmetrical:

RFTXbfs.png

The one quirk I've noticed is with spacing:
  • You can't post pictures on multiple lines without there being a small space between them.
  • You can't make a picture into a link without it adding small space on all sides. I played around with this last night, and found a way to still make nice rows, but it only works on desktop, so I'll spare the details there.
In both cases, you can no longer crop up a large picture and have it reassemble as a uniform picture.
Maybe I can make some "standarized" banners and make some tricks here and there, maybe we should make an "OT Workshop" for people who want to make OTs but lack experience, it's often a very hard task and I think it could improve not the quality of the OTs but the frequency people get out of their comfort zone in order to make these.

It could also have a way to have a post to practise and see how everything is fitting together, often people need to go to older posts to make OTs and see how is everything fitting.

Why not adding that? You say

This post is going to be my draft for this OT (linked to your claim) and then you make everything isnide of a Spoiler to not deform the general Workshop