• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I say that I want to recast Black Panther and I get looked at like I've got three heads.

Someone thought up THIS SHIT and this somehow got through how many people for approval without someone stopping to think "Hey, maybe a stupid crypto CGI thing of a dead man's disembodied head is kinda fucked up?"

Jesus CHRIST.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I don't understand what NFTs are, so I just wiki'd and read the article for NFTs and... I still don't understand what NFTs are.
They're dumb is what they are. It's (at least in the sense that it's usually being discussed at the moment) essentially digital art transferred via blockchain like cryptocurrency. The "draw" is that in being (as in the name) non-fungible, they're technically the "original" work, so you're buying ownership of the piece rather than a copy, like you would if you downloaded it. It's basically the world's lamest form of art collecting, and it's pretty goddamned awful for the environment.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
They're dumb is what they are. It's (at least in the sense that it's usually being discussed at the moment) essentially digital art transferred via blockchain like cryptocurrency. The "draw" is that in being (as in the name) non-fungible, they're technically the "original" work, so you're buying ownership of the piece rather than a copy, like you would if you downloaded it. It's basically the world's lamest form of art collecting, and it's pretty goddamned awful for the environment.

So it's like everyone is buying a tiny piece of the ownership of a piece of artwork?

Oct 29, 2017
Utterly tasteless garbage.

the best ("best") part of this is that people have already found the actual original model, which appears to have been purchased from a CG asset site for a cool 50 bucks. shameless

And there's the cherry on top of the shit sundae.

I am entirely convinced that interest in NFTs is largely being driven by shit like money laundering.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
How does this happen?

The expression reads as 'I don't want this'.

Why would this get over every internal hurdle?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
So it's like everyone is buying a tiny piece of the ownership of a piece of artwork?
Generally it's more like you literally buying the piece itself, but I'm no expert on the details, honestly.

Here's an article that kind of breaks down the whole concept in a comprehensible manner. It doesn't get too much into the nitty-gritty of the environmental impact, but it should help on a more basic level.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to feel more awkward now, if it's an 'upset' and Hopkins wins instead of Boseman. I find something really uncomfortable about competing with someone who sadly passed away, even though he deserves it as much as anyone.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Wtf.

NFTs are literally killing the planet by forcing people to create a bullshit currency through computing power that now rivals the electrical output of an entire country.

Gift bags not associated with The Oscars

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
As if the Oscars couldn't get any lower! I'm still trying to grasp my awareness to NFTs, but this is a horrid way to pay tribute to a late actor!

These gift bags are not given away by the organisation behind the Oscars. They've even sued the company who puts together these bags:
variety.com

Academy Sues Over Oscar Gift Bags That Include Sex Toys, Vaporizers

Academy sues over Oscar gift bags from Distinctive Assets.

www.forbes.com

Inside The $205,000 Oscar 2021 Gift Bag: From A Spa Retreat To ‘Poetry For Neanderthals’

Every year, celebrity and product-placement marketing company Distinctive Assets puts together a gift bag that the 25 nominees for best actor and director awards take home with them, whether they win or not.

Every year, celebrity and product-placement marketing company Distinctive Assets puts together a gift bag that the 25 nominees for best actor, actress and director awards take home with them, whether they win or not.

"We did want the bags to feel like they had a bigger purpose than just, 'Here's a bag full of free stuff,'" said Distinctive Assets 49-year-old founder Lash Fary, whose marketing company takes pains to make it clear the Academy has no association with the freebies.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
Generally it's more like you literally buying the piece itself, but I'm no expert on the details, honestly.

Here's an article that kind of breaks down the whole concept in a comprehensible manner. It doesn't get too much into the nitty-gritty of the environmental impact, but it should help on a more basic level.
This is so weird. It's not like the artist (setting aside that tweet that looks like he just bought an existing model) sat down and created 50 different heads. It's 50 copies, each one exactly the same as the other. There's nothing 'original' to NFT.

EDIT:
More like you're buying a limited edition baseball card that's not really limited.
This sort of makes it make a little more sense I guess.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It's going to be doubly disgraceful if they give this man out in the form of a bunch of tacky NFTs and then snub his for Best Actor. And I say that despite loving Hopkins' and Ahmed's performances better.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
This is pretty terrible and tacky and NFTs suck,

but I thought the whole point of NFTs are that there is only ONE in existence and the NFT verifies you are the sole owner of something. If they are giving every person a copy of it, how does that even work? Is it like limited editions where it's "1 of 500" or something?

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty terrible and tacky and NFTs suck,

but I thought the whole point of NFTs are that there is only ONE in existence and the NFT verifies you are the sole owner of something. If they are giving every person a copy of it, how does that even work? Is it like limited editions where it's "1 of 500" or something?
They 'ran' the environment destroying 'certification' 50 times on the same file.
Gives you 50 codes of authenticity.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's impressively tacky.

Imagine thinking it's a good idea to create an NFT of a dead black man which will likely be traded and sold by the recipients for profit?

"We're profiting off of his death and now you can too!"

Just incredibly gross.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I can't think of a less dignified way to honor someone outside of just giving everyone a black pather happy meal toy.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

Omg fuck this. I mean you guys are all already saying what Im thinking so I will just contribute this as a reaction:

Also, another great example of how to make alot of money you dont have to work hard, you just have to do the right kind of work. Imao.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like his head is in a jar. This is in poor taste, why not a painting or something?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be doubly disgraceful if they give this man out in the form of a bunch of tacky NFTs and then snub his for Best Actor. And I say that despite loving Hopkins' and Ahmed's performances better.
And I'm not sure anyone else in the category would even want to win.

I'll be happy to see Boseman, his family/widow receive an oscar, but there's an air or utter awkwardness, competing with the predicted favourite of what is considered the biggest film award, when unfortunately it's someone who has passed away.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I truly thought I'd not become my parents and get too old for new technologies, but goddamn NFTs showed up and I can feel myself getting crochety every time I see them/read about them

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If it was that it would at least be something. But you're buying a link to a piece of art on someone's server (like website.com/mynft.jpg). If it goes down, you're out the money.

not only that, there's no legal stake in any of this and tons of NFTs are being sold by people who aren't the original owner or just thieves.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If it was that it would at least be something. But you're buying a link to a piece of art on someone's server (like website.com/mynft.jpg). If it goes down, you're out the money.

not only that, there's no legal stake in any of this and tons of NFTs are being sold by people who aren't the original owner or just thieves.

But... why? What is the point of that? lol