• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, I just figure if you're friends you probably have a better way to chat or message each other than on the Switch.

Well sure, but when you're playing Zelda or Mario it would be fun if a friend messaged saying "How you liking (insert game)?"

I'm talking mostly online friends here.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
lol nintendo is more likely to take away the dark theme and just leave us with the one before actually adding anything.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
I actually really like how clean and snappy the main OS is (i wish eshop was snappier when browsing the deals section tho) so really all I want is folders and I'm good, themes would be nice but not a big deal to me.

Oct 28, 2017
That's what parents are for

Parents don't want the extra responsibility and they are the ones buying the system for young children.

Nintendo is like Disney is that if you stick to first party games your kids won't run into anything objectionable and you don't have to monitor their content. It's like a parenting shortcut.

Reggie said it clear as day years ago: they focus on young children and families and they don't care if gamers leave them in their teens chasing more violence and communications because eventually nostalgia brings them back when those gamers get older and become parents.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
aren't a lot of these limitations because the memory allocated to the OS is very little? i doubt they can add anything that uses extra memory since they'd break games.
themes and shop music shouldn't need that so i guess they really dropped the ball there.

also, how come they haven't added any new character icons in so long? weren't the newest ones from Captain Toad?

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Parents don't want the extra responsibility and they are the ones buying the system for young children.

Nintendo is like Disney is that if you stick to first party games your kids won't run into anything objectionable and you don't have to monitor their content. It's like a parenting shortcut.

Reggie said it clear as day years ago: they focus on young children and families and they don't care if gamers leave them in their teens chasing more violence and communications because eventually nostalgia brings them back when those gamers get older and become parents.

sounds like a bs excuse considering they are set it and forget it settings and Nintendo already has parental controls through the app

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand why people ask for messaging on Switch. If there were proper game invites it might be needed, but why do you want to text chat someone on your Switch? Just because DMs have been a common feature of consoles since 360, doesn't mean Switch needs them. Or am I missing something?

One of my long-term internet friends from the furry fandom who I added in the 3DS days, moved from 3DS to Switch and I got to add him via the Nintendo Account link. We hadn't talked in nearly three years, but there was *zero* way to contact or do anything to him unless I got Splatoon 2 like he did and pinged him in the NSO app when he happened to be online. It was beyond infuriating as I wanted to catch up with a longtime friend.

Thankfully I somehow found him on twitter due to one of those bots that RT certain game posts and we reconnected there and on discord but good god it would have resolved many months prior if I could have just sent him even a basic pre-made hello. There's no excuse to not have messages in 2020, or an achievement system for that matter.

I easily think the biggest sin of the awful Switch OS is the lack of folders, though. We're nearly 36 months into the Switch's life, and by this point the:

3DS got folders in 14 months of launch
Wii U got folders in 22 months of launch
PS4 got folders in 34 months of launch (Around the same time Switch is now, but we still don't have them)

There's literally, 10000% ZERO excuse for why Switch doesn't have folders by this point. I'm a reviewer. I have over 300 icons on my Switch's home screen by this point and it's a fucking mess to keep track of all of them. I wanna sort my Arcade archives games by their original release year but the closest I can do is a stupid alphabetical format via the publisher sorting feature. I'd also love to put all my retail games into one folder, as would I with retro compilations and the like. How on earth has no major publications in contact with NOA PR brought this up yet? At least Netflix was asked about several times even if the closest we've gotten was "Factor 5 tried contacting Nintendo about Netflix, Nintendo wouldn't budge year one so now nobody gets it". I'm glad we got youtube on the thing, but still... It's dumb I can't watch prime video or netflix on Switch.

Do not even get me STARTED on the switch's eShop and how it screws over small indies harder than any Nintendo storefront beforehand. The lack of music is one thing, but... the fact publishers of shovelware and good meaning indies have to discount their games to under a dollar to get them featured is just an example of how badly it the eShop is for discovery as a whole. You see so many awful games get discounted to pennies, so people buy them, hate them as they suck, and then as a result never buy anything else on sale for that cheap again, even if some legitimately amazing hidden gems like A Hole New World also get dropped to a dollar but don't make a dent due to this trend.

It's almost insulting that Qubicgames ended up gaming the system last month by basically making a bunch of games they dumped out free for 12 days in a row, and thus caused them to jump up to the top of the eShop charts... However, while some of their games are truly entertaining indie games (I love their Airace series on 3DS/Vita), a few of the things they published for Switch are absolutely awful, and I know quite a few people who downloaded the freebies from their little promotion, and barely touched the games and got a bad taste over these eShop discounts as a result. Forever Entertainment is another company that discounts a lot of their titles to pennies, and gets a bad rep due to some of their games being pretty fun, but most of their other ones being really mediocre/awful. The eShop desperately desperately needs not only personality, but categories like the Wii U, 3DS, DSi, and the Wii so indies can get the discovery they need.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding themes, what gets me is that the theme selector looks like it was designed to accommodate more. If light and dark is all they've ever planned to do, I don't think the word "theme" is appropriate either!

hac-screenshot-systemsettings-themes.jpg

From what it sounds like with people hacking the system, the OS does support it, just they... didn't do anything with it. Really weird thing, honestly.

That said, I'm hoping they fix the eShop stuff. While that's more network/browser side, it's absolutely starting to get more sluggish. I think clearing the cache will fix it a bit, but definitely feels like it's gotten worse over time, maybe due to how it loads the page into memory, perhaps. Plus, I just don't like how difficult it is to find anything on it. Though a little more bloated, the other eShops at least made it clearer how to find things.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
The Switch os is my favourite console os. its clean compared to everything else.
themes and a way to display all games by default and resize would be nice, but i don't think id care for anything else

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I wish there was native themeing on Switch. The main reason I switched over to CFW was so I could theme my Switch, still not a perfect solution by any means though.

wqnzont0v9821.jpg

naruto-min2-jpg.167410

OP
OP
starblue

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why people ask for messaging on Switch. If there were proper game invites it might be needed, but why do you want to text chat someone on your Switch? Just because DMs have been a common feature of consoles since 360, doesn't mean Switch needs them. Or am I missing something?

If I meet someone playing online and I want to add to my friends list and ask for a better way to communicate I can't. When I started to play online on Xbox 360 I met a lot of people by just texting them to play..., on Switch I can't.

Nintendo probably wants it that way. Private message systems bring a lot of risk and abuse.

That's why exists the parental control and options to don't get message from people you don't know...

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
imo it's better than Wii U and 3DS ever were because it's clean, slick, fast, and aesthetically pleasing

but it is indeed anemic and in need of a beefy update
I like that it's clean, but the fact that you could have folders and place them wherever you wanted on different screens made them superior. I can't remember what the Wii U had theme-wise (if anything), but the 3DS's was pretty robust. Certainly better than the whopping two we get to choose from currently. I really wish they'd at least give basic color themes that matched the various Joy-Cons and Lite variants.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Oh shit neat
How does it run?
Perfectly fine, I've never noticed a performance impact or any slow down. There are even animated themes now though pretty much all of them are ugly. I personally use the Minimalist Megumin theme. I don't have my Switch with me at the moment, so I can't take any proper screenshots so this is the best I can find of it online.
screen.png

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Give me netflix and a browser. I loved how on the WiiU if I needed help on a game I could just switch over to the browser and look up game tips

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Perfectly fine, I've never noticed a performance impact or any slow down. There are even animated themes now though pretty much all of them are ugly. I personally use the Minimalist Megumin theme. I don't have my Switch with me at the moment, so I can't take any proper screenshots so this is the best I can find of it online.
screen.png
oh man that's so sick. personally I'm not into console themes but it's so cool they've been added

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This excuse goes out the window when kids are more likely to get a smart phone than a handheld device.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
You know that "view entire library" button at the far right of the game carousel? Is there a way to make that the default view?

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The absence of support for Bluetooth headsets is what hurts me the most . Nintendo can be so damn backwards sometimes.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I actually like the Switch's OS quite a bit. It's clean, straightforward, as well as being easy to use. It could use folders and some more features but I wouldn't dramatically overhaul it.

The eshop is hot garbage though. Everything from the design to finding games is terrible. It discourages me from just browsing because there seems to be little organization to the madness.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish it had USB expandable storage support. So if the Switch is docked I have access to more games. Maybe allow me to sort games best played docked or something like that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
imo it's better than Wii U and 3DS ever were because it's clean, slick, fast, and aesthetically pleasing

but it is indeed anemic and in need of a beefy update
So it's not better than those is what you're saying.

I don't know if I should give up, no basic online features like messaging and inviting people to lobbies/games is baffling. No folders so far is incredibly even more baffling.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It needs themes like the 3DS, folders like the Wii U and 3DS, activity tracker like the 3DS, and an overhaul of the eShop and the webstore so that they both have the same games on each and shows the same information on each. That would negate the need to browse the eShop to see when games on sale end and keeping track of your purchase history on the webstore for all systems. It also needs messaging between friends so you can set up MP sessions without going through outside services. And an option in the settings to set the controller to automatically turn off after X amount of time like they offer for the Switch itself.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the thing about themes that surprises me is it seems like easy money for them. Outside maybe basic color themes, I'd fully expect them to charge for most game specific themes (or include them as a part of a pre-order bonus, which essentially functions as a cheap freebie to toss in to encourage a game's preorder sales). Of course I don't know how much Sony makes selling themes on their platform or how difficult themes are to incorporate into the Switch's OS, but on the surface at least, it does feel like an easy revenue stream for Nintendo that they simply aren't interested in.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
So it's not better than those is what you're saying.

I don't know if I should give up, no basic online features like messaging and inviting people to lobbies/games is baffling. No folders so far is incredibly even more baffling.
nah, the others didn't have competent online features either

edit: hell, the features you listed are the ones I meant, and they weren't on Wii U or 3DS, right?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
The number of times I've had to wait 10 seconds or more for PS4 to move between screens in a menu makes me very happy with the Switch OS exactly as it is

I imagine that a lot of issues with the PS4 OS speed is due to the 5400 RPM hard drive. I don't know for sure but I would guess it's a lot better if you have an SSD installed.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed 🤷‍♂️

Folders would be nice, but in honesty it's really nice just to be able to boot into games. The PS4's UI is so damn sluggish when I try to do anything from launching a game to visiting the store.