• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This rumour started here

I have some unfortunate news for fans of The Orville. Hulu has decided to cancel the show and will not return for a fourth season.

I am still trying to get more details on the situation but from my understanding, the intention was never to make a fourth season. However, we will still be getting the third season.

After the third season of The Orville finishes production, sets and props will be dismantled and the studio space of The Orville will be used by another Hulu show, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Even though the show is cancelled, it is still possible for fans to get a fourth season. These networks and streaming services cancel shows all the time, but series like Lucifer, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and The Expanse have all found their homes somewhere else. Seeing as how The Orville already moved once, it can easily do it again. But I do have to stress that at the moment, I am not aware of Hulu being in talks with any other streaming services or networks about moving the show elsewhere.

www.thecinemaspot.com

Exclusive: 'The Orville' Cancelled at Hulu, Season 3 Becomes Final Outing For Seth MacFarlane Sci-Fi Series

Exclusive: Hulu has decided to cancel The Orville after three seasons!

The Escapist said they'd independently verified the rumour

The report comes from The Cinema Spot, but we've been able to independently verify this as well.

www.escapistmagazine.com

Rumor: The Orville Season 3 Will Be the End of the Series - The Escapist

The Orville season 3 will be the end of the Star Trek-adjacent Seth MacFarlane science fiction comedy series on Hulu, it has been revealed.

Then one of the Orville's producers pushed back with an ambiguous tweet before settling on a firmer statement.

But then The Cinema Spot pushed back against the push back

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait and see if this is true but that tweet from Emre talking about the producer is nonsense. A show can not be cancelled but still have an uncertain future. It comes off as very defensive and makes me disinclined to believe him. However, the show has always felt like it's on borrowed time so I could see it being done soon. If they can produce a season 3 that gives us a good ending I'm totally fine with this.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It was expected, the first season was good, the second season was rubbish and I didn't hold much hope for season 3.

Also I wonder how badly they will butcher Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched some S1 episodes, but it was a lot like Star Trek TNG at a time where we have modern sci-fi shows like DIS and The Expanse. The Orville was nice for nostalgia, but stretching it to three seasons was perhaps a little much.

I'll be surprised if anyone picks this up.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Orville is my favorite show on television. We're in the middle of a pandemic, the website is often not updated, and the producers said that it isn't cancelled. Shows typically don't get renewed until the season is over, and this one isn't even done filming. I'll trust them over some site no-one ever heard of.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
Super sad about this. The Orville really turned into something special.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Interesting show while it lasted. A sci-fi, parody, comedy? Orville was unique.

It did look like it was a fairly high budget. I wonder how much cost factored into the cancellation.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that "Star Trek with dick jokes" made it past 1 season, let alone 3 is a miracle.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Every I get invested in a show, the plug is pulled. Every. Single. Time.

My tastes clearly don't align with the average consumer.

I actually loved The Orville and was waiting excitedly for the series to return. It's the best pure episodic Trek in years. I enjoyed both seasons and it's really a shame that for whatever reason, there's just no space for episodic Trek anymore. And yes, I know that it's not 'real' Trek...

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I actually prefer The Orville to ST: Discovery but sadly this seems perfectly plausible to me.

MacFarlane moved his deal from 20th to NBCU (and has already set up a thriller there that he'll star in and produce IIRC) so it's obvious that was one of the reasons that Orville moved to Hulu in the first place. Now the question is will he 're-up' his deal for Family Guy and American Dad (which both got multi year renewals I believe) when they expire.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Oh ok, but we're getting The Orville: The Next Generation soon after, right? Right?!

I am going to be very let down if this is true. Discovery and Picard are unwatchable trash so this is the only Trek show available. And it's legitimately a good and fun show that often gives me the TNG feels.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh ok, but we're getting The Orville: The Next Generation soon after, right? Right?!

I am going to be very let down if this is true. Discovery and Picard are unwatchable trash so this is the only Trek show available. And it's legitimately a good and fun show that often gives me the TNG feels.
I kind of like the colors in discovery, as it is like they are spoofing the colors in TOS :P. Which were more or less added to sell color TV sets :P. They went on STEROIDS with Discovery in that regard, it's like a Skittles invaded the federation :P.

But yeah Orville became the Trek most trekkies wanted, no surprise considering Seth McFarlane (Hope I spelled that right,I'm horribad with names) and all, but if it gets cancelled it's another kick to the shins :(.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to be very let down if this is true. Discovery and Picard are unwatchable trash so this is the only Trek show available.
The Orville isn't Star Trek and if it was everyone would bitch and moan that it brings nothing new to the franchise.

But yeah Orville became the Trek most trekkies wanted, ...
Most? I doubt that. And no one cares what trekkies want, as a group they're a bunch of crybabies who hate every new Star Trek because it's either too different or not different enough. Even favorites like TNG and DS9 were despised by huge parts of the fandom when they started.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Orville isn't Star Trek and if it was everyone would bitch and moan that it brings nothing new to the franchise.

Most? I doubt that. And no one cares what trekkies want, as a group they're a bunch of crybabies who hate every new Star Trek because it's either too different or not different enough. Even favorites like TNG and DS9 were despised by huge parts of the fandom when they started.
ERm... not every trekkie is a idiot. I mean that is like calling all board gamers crybabies due to some idiots that can't deal with women and minorities in their space weaponized by rather extreme right wing political forces.

Most of the Trek fans I know, the ones I got to know in the university, are also a fan of other scifis. All this crap about Star Trek DS:9 vs Babylon 5 is tiresome for us as we just like to see both. Even though we prefer STar Trek. And YES I know they did not like DS:9, hehe, It's my favorite show and I got a lot of crap for it by the online idiots.

That said, offline most are normal human beings that just enjoy Star Trek, of course they have a favorite... and most don't like Abramstrek... but they hardly hate on what you like. Why? Because they are real human beings... not the fan idiots you have online in little fan groups that are courted by extreme right wing forces and deal in nothing but negativity.

And yes, like said, I also enjoy Discovery. I love the color use, it's like a parody on TOS :P!

PS: We also enjoy Star Wars and even the prequels.... LE GASP! ;)

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even favorites like TNG and DS9 were despised by huge parts of the fandom when they started.
yep
P2SIn6o.png

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they even made it that far tbh.

Seriously. I've really enjoyed the show but just assumed it would get cancelled before too long, it took a bit to find it's footing (some of the earliest episodes are ROUGH), seems to have a big budget, and while I've had a blast I know the average Fox viewer probably isn't into it.

Didn't even realize it got moved to Hulu, either way I'm glad to get 3 seasons out of it, hope they're able to end it properly if they know it's truly ending.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
They haven't finished like half of season 3 filming yet and no idea when they will go back to work. I mean wouldn't that lead to them possibly wanting to use the sound stages for other things right now instead of holding the sets and space for who knows how long?

They also still got to finish the show, they confirmed the show is not filmed in order so even though they filmed half the season, it's not filmed as complete episodes and is all chopped up, so they don't really have any completed episodes possibly even so they will have to also scrap season 3 completely or eventually have to go back to work at some point.