• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Back in 1995, these were mind blowing graphics, but it's not the actual graphics that make me like it so much. The big mood with the first Panzer Dragoon is this feeling of vast, endless desolation. Oceans that span multiple times over the horizon, deserts that extend for hundreds of miles. The title screen captures that well, not just with the visual, but also the music. The theme captures the essence of what you're supposed to be going through at the beginning of the game. The horns sounding triumphant as the Dragon chooses you and bonds, followed by a tumbling, tumultuous feeling as you take flight before finding your bearings, at which point the song becomes calm and soothing. It's a song that very honestly captures the feeling of being on a dragon and soaring through the sky.

The effect of the title screen morphing from low resolution 3D textures to high resolution 2D background is also really cool, especially for the era.

One of my favorite title screens by far.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats pretty solid but nothing tops this for me.

Easily my favorite title screen

This is also one of my favorites, I remember I used to leave the N64 running and just watch it loop through. I like it more than the Majora's Mask title.

But it doesn't have the grand sweeping music of the PD title screen which is my favorite part.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to recall title screens from that era. I guess the one stands out to me us the original Tomb Raider.

I can't find video of it, but here is the song.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Already really good menus in this thread. I'd like to add MGS1 to the list, very iconic too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is also one of my favorites:

This title screen is a bit of demoscene, too. The Amiga only has 4 sound channels, 2 left speaker, 2 right speaker. This song, however, uses 7 different instruments at once. It does this through software, mixing the sound on the CPU then piping it to the sound channels. It's so well coded that it can do this, while still running a mario 3 style demo title screen, and still cutscene images.

And, as is always important, the actual music RULES.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
[

NINTENDO... PRESENTS...

... A RETRO STUDIOS... GAME.

It's always going to be this or Halo 1/2 for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid, sometimes I'd use my Game Gear like a walkman and go around listening to the Chuck Rock title screen, haha:

To this day, as an adult, this song will still pop into my head randomly and I'll start whistling it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The actual in-game opening to Panzer Dragoon Saga is incredible for all the reasons I talked about in the OP, that sense of awe the music inspires. I played Panzer Dragoon Saga last, after having played the entire rest of the series, only in 2012 after searching for it for a long time. I got the original Panzer Dragoon with my Saturn in 1995, so I had been a very long time fan of the series and had been dying for PDS for ages. A big, dramatic moment in every Panzer Dragoon game is when the Dragon chooses their rider, and Panzer Dragoon Saga does this scene way better than any other panzer dragoon game:

The bit where Edge says "Incredible, you've chosen me!" and the Dragon perches for him to get on, then the music swells as the dragon slowly begins to take off, that's great stuff right there.

An aside, but Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of those times where games live up to their insane hype. Even after a decade+ of build up, Panzer Dragoon Saga blew me away.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is also one of my favorites:

This title screen is a bit of demoscene, too. The Amiga only has 4 sound channels, 2 left speaker, 2 right speaker. This song, however, uses 7 different instruments at once. It does this through software, mixing the sound on the CPU then piping it to the sound channels. It's so well coded that it can do this, while still running a mario 3 style demo title screen, and still cutscene images.

And, as is always important, the actual music RULES.

And actually, that same year OctaMED released for Amiga - a MOD music tracker with 8 channel support which worked in the same way across the 4 independent channels.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Let's not forget the Goat RPG Chrono Triggers title screen.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget the Goat RPG Chrono Triggers title screen.

I don't care much for CT's title screen, but the opening "cinematic" and theme?

vWt1ji5.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The anime intro they made for the ps1 version is simply divide imo.

I agree! The first time I played Chrono Trigger was on the PSX. People really hate on that port for the load times but they don't bother me much. The anime intro is great. But I'll admit I like the SNES rendition of the theme more, personally. They're both so good, which I guess really owes to the actual composition of the song being outstanding.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
The actual in-game opening to Panzer Dragoon Saga is incredible for all the reasons I talked about in the OP, that sense of awe the music inspires. I played Panzer Dragoon Saga last, after having played the entire rest of the series, only in 2012 after searching for it for a long time. I got the original Panzer Dragoon with my Saturn in 1995, so I had been a very long time fan of the series and had been dying for PDS for ages. A big, dramatic moment in every Panzer Dragoon game is when the Dragon chooses their rider, and Panzer Dragoon Saga does this scene way better than any other panzer dragoon game:

The bit where Edge says "Incredible, you've chosen me!" and the Dragon perches for him to get on, then the music swells as the dragon slowly begins to take off, that's great stuff right there.

An aside, but Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of those times where games live up to their insane hype. Even after a decade+ of build up, Panzer Dragoon Saga blew me away.

Indeed - I think you've perfectly described the great achievement of this intro sequence. In one short (ok, not so short) FMV, the bond between rider (player) and dragon is set in stone for the the rest of the game.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Back in 1995, these were mind blowing graphics, but it's not the actual graphics that make me like it so much. The big mood with the first Panzer Dragoon is this feeling of vast, endless desolation. Oceans that span multiple times over the horizon, deserts that extend for hundreds of miles. The title screen captures that well, not just with the visual, but also the music. The theme captures the essence of what you're supposed to be going through at the beginning of the game. The horns sounding triumphant as the Dragon chooses you and bonds, followed by a tumbling, tumultuous feeling as you take flight before finding your bearings, at which point the song becomes calm and soothing. It's a song that very honestly captures the feeling of being on a dragon and soaring through the sky.

The effect of the title screen morphing from low resolution 3D textures to high resolution 2D background is also really cool, especially for the era.

One of my favorite title screens by far.

I was devasted when I found out Yoshitaka Azuma, the composer for Panzer Dragoon died back in 2012.