• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rx9twtc.png

Reuse if old

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I bet this happens a lot. Especially among the same writers, something might not work in one setting and you remember it when you need to kludge something together

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately can't tell if Cryer just improvised an incredibly well-thought-out bit or this was actually in the original concept for the movie.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this was well known. But Jon Cryer is so lovable retelling it that he gets a pass.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I saw a Behind Closed Doors feature about BTTF recently. It was very interesting. Look out for it in your cable guides, REELZ channel. There are other similar features for Ghostbusters, Top Gun and others.

Anyway, yeah iirc that fridge and nuke stuff was in an early script and that's as far as that got. I also didn't realize until seeing this feature that they shot a bunch of the movie with Eric Stoltz in the lead role, before replacing him with Michael Fox. Another funny was that the studio producer person wanted to call it, "Spaceman from Pluto", because the studio was afraid after seeing other time travel movies bomb. Spielberg said he'd deal with that, and he called the exec to say, "Good one! That was funny, we love your sense of humor.", knowing he'd be too embarrassed to push that he was being serious.

They also didn't plan for a sequel, despite the way the ending looked. And if they had planned ahead, they wouldn't have had the girlfriend in the car, whom they quickly dumped in an alley at the start of the second movie.

www.youtube.com

Eric Stoltz as Marty Mcfly in Back to the Future!

Back to the Future: 25th Anniversary Trilogy Blu-ray will be released on October 26. The Hollywood Reporter has our first look at one of the special features...

Last edited:

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly w/o terrible CG that burdened Indiana Jones this would have worked in a adorably kitschy way.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
This immediately reminded me of that great story Kevin Smith told. Some people just can't let go of their ideas.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
From reading the title I was thinking of Raiders and the mental image of Biff melting like wax and then exploding was not what I expected to have in my brain today.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
From reading the title I was thinking of Raiders and the mental image of Biff melting like wax and then exploding was not what I expected to have in my brain today.
When i read the title I thought the Time Machine was going end up in a warehouse waiting for "Top men"

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Really smart of them not to use the fridge thing for their family movie.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i watched the inndiana trilogy for the first time like 2 weeks ago

and i really can't fathom why people hate the refrigerator scene in crystal skull, mind you i haven't seen crystal skull

but with everything that happens on the original trilogy, i dont know how can you have a problem with tha refrigerator scene lol

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
the nuclear test site scene is one of the few purely enjoyable sequences in Crystal Skull. Started from a good source, apparently.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny people made fun of the fridge scene in Indiana Jones despite it actualy being one of the better scenes.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Also does anyone know that if you already own the BTTF trilogy digital version on iTunes-will it be updated to include these new features? The current digital version is bare bones and has no extra. I got it from a digital download code in the Blu Ray box set.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Turns out in the final cut it wasn't Coke that Doc needed to power the Mr. Fusion. It was Miller Genuine Draft.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Spielberg want the do the Fridge scene for years and Lucas wanted to do ancient aliens for years. Their passions finally crossed and audiences were blessed with the majestic 4th Indy movie.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
This reminds me of the Back to the Future novelization by George Gipe where the world ends in a nuclear Holocaust in the very first scene.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Being near an atomic blast to power a time machine sounds like that time traveling ferengi episode of DS9.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Wikipedia says 100 days filming, which appears to be from when Fox joined. Before that, about 6-7 weeks with Stoltz.

Another anecdote is that Marty's girlfriend got fired before she filmed a single scene, only because she was considered too tall to play opposite Fox. Since she hadn't filmed anything yet, I assume they didn't have all that much footage with Stoltz.

Btw, Stoltz is still in the movie. When Marty punches Biff in the diner, that fist is Eric's. You can't see his face though.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the indy 4 opening. Its a really fun adventure movie up until the end of the college chase where it shortly shits the bed after.

Glad the scene was repurposed for indy instead of bttf. Preferred the more quaint vibe that it ended up having.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
i watched the inndiana trilogy for the first time like 2 weeks ago

and i really can't fathom why people hate the refrigerator scene in crystal skull, mind you i haven't seen crystal skull

but with everything that happens on the original trilogy, i dont know how can you have a problem with tha refrigerator scene lol

This was always my take on it. It's stupid, sure, but is it really that much more stupid than jumping out of the plane with the raft? Neither are survivable in real life. Action/Adventure films are full of cartoonish stuff like this.

I had some issues with the ending myself, but the fridge never bothered me.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

Page 1

If you were writing the first words of a novel version of Back to the Future, how would you do it? Maybe you'd introduce the concept of time being important, like the film did with all them crazy...

Here, in the living room of a peaceful house in the suburbs, a typical family sits quietly. Dad reads the evening paper, unaware that disaster is about to strike. Mom cleans the dinner dishes, oblivious to the fact that in a few seconds their world will be reduced to a whirlwind of splinters and atomized debris. The children are in their rooms, doing their homework, little knowing that only a few moments of life are left to them, that they will never have to worry about homework again. The mightiest force ever created by man is about to be unleashed on them and there is nothing on earth they can do about it…

Five…four…three…two…one…

A second later, there was a flash of white and the unnamed family were enveloped in a surge of power that tore their tiny frames to pieces, bending them curiously out of shape before separating bodies from heads, arms from torsos, legs from abdomens. The solid-looking house simply crumpled into thin shreds of pulp and instantly ignited into raveling avalanche of flame. A wind-tunnel effect then whisked the body parts and wreckage of furniture and plaster into a horrible whirling mass that was sucked into the tortured atmosphere.

I read this Tumblr a long time ago and it made me remember I had actually read the novel as a kid.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was always my take on it. It's stupid, sure, but is it really that much more stupid than jumping out of the plane with the raft? Neither are survivable in real life. Action/Adventure films are full of cartoonish stuff like this.

I had some issues with the ending myself, but the fridge never bothered me.

The fridge scene is something you would see in a Looney Toons cartoon. The raft scene, not so much.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
The only scenes with Stoltz that I have seen (clips or pictures) were the diner scene and the mall parking lot. Have more been released?