• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I know running a modern game like Doom '16 on the Switch is much more of a technical feat than getting Doom 3 on it but I remember the leadup to and release of D3, when the computer I had at the time would've melted at the thought of even trying to load it and the only way I could play the game was on my brother's behemoth of an original XBox, so the idea of having the game on this device that I can pack up and fit in my handbag is absolutely amazing.

I've played about an hour and a quarter, have met the first couple of Pinkies and found the minigun and I still really enjoy the game. Maybe it's just how easily spooked by horror stuff I am, but I think the game's atmosphere is still really effective and scary even when I can have the flashlight and a weapon active at the same time.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So it seems if you have the chainsaw and pickup a Berserk Pack, if you switch weapons you can't go back to the fist. That really sucks
Yeah I noticed that too. Once you get the chainsaw you can't go back to fists again. I don't remember this in any other version. I could just me being forgetful though.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Why can't you switch back to fists after you grab the chainsaw? Makes the berserker packs useless.

These releases need a huge update to match the 360 Doom 2 port.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Fun Facts about connections between 1+2+Doom 64>Doom 3>Doom 2016

Following Doom 1&2, Doom 64 ends with Doomguy deciding to remain in Hell to ensure that demons never rise again.

In Doom 2016, the Doomslayer is stated to have "chosen the path of perpetual torment...to end the dominion of the dark realm. The scribes carved his name deep in the tablets of Hell. Blinded by his fervor, the lure drew him in. The priests brought down the temple upon the Doom Slayer, and in his defeat entombed him in the cursed sarcophagus. "

A 2016 character bio describes UAC later discovering his sarcophagus: "The UAC's most remarkable discovery was in Hell's Kadingir Sanctum. Surrounded by nearly impassable terrain, the team discovered a sealed tomb."

In the last portion of Doom 3, you play in UAC excavation Site 03. The artifact dig area in site 03 is where the Soul Cube and stone tablets can be found, and a room called the Chamber of the Hero featuring a large sarcophagus.

At the start of Doom 2016, the Doomslayer wakes from his sarcophagus in Site 03. The player's first objective is, "Find the Site 03 exit."
The Soul Cube can also be found later in the game inside a UAC office.

Doom 64:
qInXHtv.png

Doom 3:
ofQzS0Y.png

1smO1u4.jpg

Doom 2016:
1C3VdUr.png

jdNMU7n.jpg

Fucking dope post! :D

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Why can't you switch back to fists after you grab the chainsaw? Makes the berserker packs useless.

These releases need a huge update to match the 360 Doom 2 port.
It still auto switches to fists when you pick up a berserk pack, but once you switch back to another weapon you can't go back to them. It seems this is how it was in the original vanilla Doom, but I'm so used to all the other version and mods that I forgot.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It still auto switches to fists when you pick up a berserk pack, but once you switch back to another weapon you can't go back to them. It seems this is how it was in the original vanilla Doom, but I'm so used to all the other version and mods that I forgot.
You can go back to fists in the 360 version, and since the berserk damage boost will last the entire level, it's a good strategy to grab a pack early to take care of pinkie rooms without wasting ammo.

It's been awhile, but I remember being able to switch back to fists in the PC version if you press the number assigned to chainsaw/fists twice.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
You can go back to fists in the 360 version, and since the berserk damage boost will last the entire level, it's a good strategy to grab a pack early to take care of pinkie rooms without wasting ammo.

It's been awhile, but I remember being able to switch back to fists in the PC version if you press the number assigned to chainsaw/fists twice.
Yeah, that's how I remember it too (pressing 1 twice). I remember when I found out the Berserk packs lasted the entire level despite the screen effect going away it like... changed my opinion about them lol.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

The newer versions allow you, but the very vanilla Doom doesn't. The version on Steam doesn't let you either.

I dunno why Bethesda decided to go with the most basic ass version of Doom for this port.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The newer version allow you, but the very vanilla Doom doesn't. The version on Steam doesn't let you either.

I dunno why Bethesda decided to go with the most basic ass version of Doom for this port.
Oh wow, I guess maybe I never tried going back to fists back in the day after I got the chainsaw but you're totally right.

You can't even switch back to fists after you get the chainsaw in Chocolate Doom. I guess you gotta keep it on fists the rest of the level if you find a berserk pack and want to conserve ammo.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
All of these Doom 3 videos, jeez! It looks so good, but I'll probably pick it up later next week or so after I get some things done.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm going to check out Doom 3 in a bit, will be a bit disappointed if it isn't much better than the 360 version that I last played.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I got a full refund from Nintendo if anyone was wondering. I had a few naysayers in this very thread.

Response By Email (07/27/2019 05:22 PM)
Hello,

In regard to the recent issue you reported to Nintendo, I'm emailing you to let you know that we've processed a refund for your digital purchase by adding $4.63 and 36 gold points to your account. You should see the funds available the next time you log in with your Nintendo eShop account.

We consider this matter resolved and have closed the incident. If you have any additional questions, please contact us via our online webform (http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask).

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Just because refunds aren't a policy doesn't mean you can never get one. You just have to know how to ask. I'll fix my Doom cravings with some Gzdoom tonight instead.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered before but are there any major performance differences between versions? Are xbox/ps4 4K?

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up Doom 1 & 2 the other day, but I couldn't resist Doom 3 any longer. I had to get that also. When I was big into PC gaming, it was when HL2 and Doom 3 were released. I used my HS graduation money, and money I'd been saving up to build the best PC I could. It was well worth it.

Playing Doom 3 with the setting completely maxed was mind boggling. It was PS3 level graphics and beyond in a ps2 era. Seeing a game where enemies waiting to burst through a wall, where that wall looks totally normal and not noticeable that it is different than the rest, really amped everything up. Everywhere was a trap. Everywhere was dark, with only your flashlight, your muzzle blast, or the demonic summoning to illuminate the environment. I only played it at night, with headphones. I explored every bit of that game, I loved it so much. OG Doom 3 is miles above any mod or rerelease of the game, IMO. Doom 2016 is my favorite hands down, but Doom 3 is second only by a minute margin, in my book.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up Doom 1 & 2 the other day, but I couldn't resist Doom 3 any longer. I had to get that also. When I was big into PC gaming, it was when HL2 and Doom 3 were released. I used my HS graduation money, and money I'd been saving up to build the best PC I could. It was well worth it.

Playing Doom 3 with the setting completely maxed was mind boggling. It was PS3 level graphics and beyond in a ps2 era. Seeing a game where enemies waiting to burst through a wall, where that wall looks totally normal and not noticeable that it is different than the rest, really amped everything up. Everywhere was a trap. Everywhere was dark, with only your flashlight, your muzzle blast, or the demonic summoning to illuminate the environment. I only played it at night, with headphones. I explored every bit of that game, I loved it so much. OG Doom 3 is miles above any mod or rerelease of the game, IMO. Doom 2016 is my favorite hands down, but Doom 3 is second only by a minute margin, in my book.
Yeah, I finally pulled the trigger on Doom 3 just today. Bought the OG version for PC. Only messed with it enough to make sure it's running at the right resolution and all (takes some CFG tweaking), but yeah, you can tell right off this is one that's meant for playing in the dark with headphones.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Man, I just can't see how people really think Doom 2 is leaps and bounds better than Doom 1. Have ya'll sat through the tedium of Levels 11-15? It's just big open areas with a few enemies that spawn in groups here and there, and then super crowded areas spammed full of enemies. 'The Courtyard' stands out as one of the worst.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I bought the original Doom, logged in, played for a while. Not unplayable, but not the best port. Then I put my Switch to sleep.

I awaken it, buy a game on the eShop, go back to Doom, and now the damn Bethesda.net pop-up shows up every 10 seconds of game play.

This is some of the worst suspension mode related bug I have ever seen, and I have experience working in QA on both tester side and developer side on over 10 projects. Absolute travesty.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just can't see how people really think Doom 2 is leaps and bounds better than Doom 1. Have ya'll sat through the tedium of Levels 11-15? It's just big open areas with a few enemies that spawn in groups here and there, and then super crowded areas spammed full of enemies. 'The Courtyard' stands out as one of the worst.
I loved Doom 2 when I was kid and liked it more back then, but in those days I always... always played with cheats. Nowadays whenever I play Doom II, I usually play up to Tricks and Traps before I'll just stop (I'll beat Tricks and Traps that is, I guess I'm stopping on The Pit).

I don't really play Episodes 2 and 3 of Doom 1 all that much either. I play Episode 1 a freaking lot though. If I'm playing on PC then with the 2 new Romero levels (I still need to try out SIGIL...).

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are really hyping up Doom 3 for me. It's the only major game in the series I've never played and it sounds super interesting.
I've never really understood why it's usually held as the perfect Doom game. I found the levels later in the game straight up miserable and many of the new enemies more annoying than challenging (though this point probably just means I'm bad at it). Doom 1 on the other hand is just extremely fun the whole way through; absolute perfection.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Playing Doom 3 now, and just using the naked eye it seems to be running at a pretty decent resolution on the PS4 Pro, if it's upscaling 1080p to 2160p then it's upscaling it quite well.

Will be interested to see a detailed breakdown of it. Definitely the cleanest version I've played of it so far.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Doom 3 now, and just using the naked eye it seems to be running at a pretty decent resolution on the PS4 Pro, if it's upscaling 1080p to 2160p then it's upscaling it quite well.

Will be interested to see a detailed breakdown of it. Definitely the cleanest version I've played of it so far.

Playing on X it looks very clean too, but certain surfaces show some aliasing. Performance has been rock solid though, even with flashlight shadows on and a higher FOV. It's a damn solid package.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, while I could never really get into DOOM 2, I have to say that I really don't care much for the original DOOM once you get past the second episode. That's why I've always actually been kind of partial to the Jaguar version of DOOM, as it had an abbreviated level set.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Got Doom 3 on PS4 today and played the first three or four hours. I was really interested since it's the only Doom I have not played and figured the new ports were the perfect excuse to do so.

Performance is rock solid across the board and I haven't noticed any significant framerate problems and does not look bad for a game its age. Not a shocker seeing how much of a showstopper it was when it came out. I'm sure someone like Digital Foundry will do a breakdown of it as I'm super curious what this is running at. Fantastic porting work done here.

The game itself... is just okay so far. Aside from a couple cheap jump scares, the game really fails at being a horror game. It is way too predictable and it's hard to feel threatened when your walking around armed to the teeth. The guns feel fine except for the shotgun which lacks any kind of impact or satisfaction from blasting a demon to bits.

The atmosphere is incredible however. All the little details, excellent sound design, the great use of lighting, all of it comes together to create a lonely, almost claustrophobic tension that never really let's up. I just wish the game was more scary to really take advantage of it.

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm a little bummed that Bethesda went through the trouble of updating some of their Doom iOS apps for 64bit, but didn't do the RPGs. I have DOOM II RPG just sitting there and I can't play it anymore :(

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Unless there's a trophy or achievement for opening them I say keep going. Most of the time it's just health and ammo inside them. Mostly.
Cool. I'll keep going then. I'm playing on Switch so no trophy to care about. It's more about the experience.

It's so interesting to me the direction they went with 3. I'm liking it for what it is. That being said I am super pumped for the direction they are currently heading. The fast pace and enemy dense environments are sooooo much fun.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Playing on X it looks very clean too, but certain surfaces show some aliasing. Performance has been rock solid though, even with flashlight shadows on and a higher FOV. It's a damn solid package.
Yeah, I haven't noticed any slow-down yet. Also, I don't remember the flashlight shadow option before on consoles. I remember the original Doom 3 had it so dynamic light came from the flashlight (and enemy light sources) which looked really cool and much more impressive, shame that the BFG edition still has that removed.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Also, make sure do adjust the HUD Inset in Doom 3 so the HUD is nicely tucked into the lower corners of the screen.