• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Doom 3 takes the creepier vibes of the PS1 port and the N64 sequel and runs with it. Whilst most of the horror elements boil down to

Yeah, i dont agree there. Doom 3 takes after the console port of Doom 1? Neah. It maintains the run and gun, shooting demons core of the series and takes vast amounts of influence from Half Life, System Shock and a touch of Undying for the Hell levels.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I've been wanting Doom 1 and 2 on Switch since the system launch. Sad to hear about the music and whatnot. I'm hoping it is all fixed soon.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why would they save a Doom 64 announcement for later in Quake Con?

I feel like way to go would be to drop them all in 1 go and say "all the classic Doom games are out on modern consoles, And for the first time the cult classic DOOM 64 is available on modern platforms."

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
The game had the IDCLEV code originally. Somebody mentioned a cheat menu in the game here; is the level cheat in there?
Doesn't seem to.

On another note, I forgot just how fun this game is. Levels that aren't carefully disguised corridors are such a refreshing change. This is what games have been missing. Other than the awesome Arkane stuff.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Does Quakecon / Doomcon even have a closing ceremony to announce DOOM 64? Just seems odd why it wouldn't be announced with the rest.

I do hope the music gets fixed on the ports, I've played so much DOOM in my life that seeing gameplay with the slower music irks me a bit. Fix that and the weird DRM and I'll purchase them all.

If DOOM 64 is legit, I hope the same issues don't plague that as well, though I do feel like Nightdive would be handling that game instead.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to play the old doom games online on PC? I remember using zdaemon I think years and years ago. Is it still the defacto program to play online? Also if anyone could recommend some good coop wads

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
For somebody wanting to catch up on PC, what's the best version of Doom 3 to pick up? I like the idea of the horror elements and flashlight management, should I just go with the original, or the BFG edition? I already have the classic games, so those aren't much of a bonus for me when it comes to the BFG edition.

I did go ahead and pick up D1 and D2 on Switch, though. The handheld thing is just really cool. I played a bit of D1 and it feels great. Need to get used to stick-aiming again.

Do yourself a favor and turn on "Always Run" in the options. Gives it that necessary frenetic feeling.
The original, even just for mods, Perfected Doom 3, The Dark mod & Doom 3 Phobos are all great to name a few.
Doom 3 Phobos is laughably superior to the original despite being made by a few people in their spare time, if Phobos was the Doom 3 to come out in 2004, Half Life 2 would have had more competition for FPS of the year.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok I wasn't sure if I'd need edited/scripted wads for multiple player spawn points or such
Pretty sure Doom 1 and 2 can use any level as an MP map. Already prebaked I think.

Also note that Zandronum is a source port, meaning extended support past the official timeline of the Doom engine. It should sort things out for you,

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Doom with headphones on Switch is so good. Having never played through the original PC version, I'm really enjoying bopping through this one. Will likely grab Doom II and hoping for 64.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Haven't played doom 1 since the 90s and I can't believe how well it holds up today. Having a blast and being portable is awesome.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
why would they save a Doom 64 announcement for later in Quake Con?

I feel like way to go would be to drop them all in 1 go and say "all the classic Doom games are out on modern consoles, And for the first time the cult classic DOOM 64 is available on modern platforms."
Yeah it's weird but hopefully it actually does re-release and the whole thing wasn't a mistake.
Also need Final Doom.

BFIB Issues aside with the SNES port...i'll stan it's music forever as the best version of DOOM's music.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
As someone who never played D64, what's so great about it? Is it Doom 1 "Remastered" or is it a completely different game?
Different game, but it's nostalgia mainly imo, it starts off strong (which is what people remember), but the later levels have some painful level design & puzzles, i dunno what it is with the 90's, but devs really thought people wanted frustrating puzzles mixed with maze level design in their action FPS.
It's still good though, but people go overboard & claim it's the best Doom game ever & the real Doom 3, i think that's where nostalgia comes in.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Different game, but it's nostalgia mainly imo, it starts off strong (which is what people remember), but the later levels have some painful level design & puzzles, i dunno what it is with the 90's, but devs really thought people wanted frustrating puzzles mixed with maze level design in their action FPS.

Actually this was the best part and one of the primary reasons Doom 2016 isn't as good as it could've been.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I admittedly chuckled :)

Thanks for the answers! I always thought it's "just" Doom 1, with upgraded graphics and maybe a few levels thrown in to look the part on N64.
Nope! Completely new levels and 1 new weapon. It's lot more atmospheric than the older doom games, gone is the buttrock music instead it reuses the PSX music and sound effect but considering the look of the levels it fits perfectly. Really the only unfortunate thing is it's missing like...4 enemies but oh well.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I know they said they will be removing it, but is doom 3 also affected by the Bethesda account requirement? Thought I saw someone say they just clicked cancel and it let them play.

Oct 25, 2017
Fun Facts about connections between 1+2+Doom 64>Doom 3>Doom 2016

Following Doom 1&2, Doom 64 ends with Doomguy deciding to remain in Hell to ensure that demons never rise again.

In Doom 2016, the Doomslayer is stated to have "chosen the path of perpetual torment...to end the dominion of the dark realm. The scribes carved his name deep in the tablets of Hell. Blinded by his fervor, the lure drew him in. The priests brought down the temple upon the Doom Slayer, and in his defeat entombed him in the cursed sarcophagus. "

A 2016 character bio describes UAC later discovering his sarcophagus: "The UAC's most remarkable discovery was in Hell's Kadingir Sanctum. Surrounded by nearly impassable terrain, the team discovered a sealed tomb."

In the last portion of Doom 3, you play in UAC excavation Site 03. The artifact dig area in site 03 is where the Soul Cube and stone tablets can be found, and a room called the Chamber of the Hero featuring a large sarcophagus.

At the start of Doom 2016, the Doomslayer wakes from his sarcophagus in Site 03. The player's first objective is, "Find the Site 03 exit."
The Soul Cube can also be found later in the game inside a UAC office.

Doom 64:
qInXHtv.png

Doom 3:
ofQzS0Y.png

1smO1u4.jpg

Doom 2016:
1C3VdUr.png

jdNMU7n.jpg

Last edited:

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know they said they will be removing it, but is doom 3 also affected by the Bethesda account requirement? Thought I saw someone say they just clicked cancel and it let them play.
You can skip it in Doom 3 which is what made the requirement for the first two even more puzzling

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Honestly I think I like Doom 3 better than HL2. And HL1 is easily one of my fave games of all time. And it strongly influenced Doom 3.

I mean Doom 1 was a fucking maze too. I got lost again playing the like 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels already.

That's not exclusive to the N64 game.
Doom 64 goes overboard with some of the later levels, to the point where it's just not fun.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Can we just appreciate for a moment how damn good the first two Doom games are. Like, never again shall we see their like.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Can we just appreciate for a moment how damn good the first two Doom games are. Like, never again shall we see their like.

Every Doom game has been amazing. Hasn't been a single bad one yet. I don't think there's been a single one where the quality has dipped at all.

My personal favorite is probably Doom 3 though.

As a total sound design and atmosphere whore I cannot begin to tell you how much I love what they did with Doom 3. There are only a few games ever made with atmosphere this good. And this one might just take the cake. I'd say it's between this and Dead Space when it comes to a fully realized world, one where every virtual inch of space has details in the sounds and visuals. Black Mesa is another. I love being completely enveloped in game worlds like this.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Every Doom game has been amazing. Hasn't been a single bad one yet. I don't think there's been a single one where the quality has dipped at all.

My personal favorite is probably Doom 3 though.

As a total sound design and atmosphere whore I cannot begin to tell you how much I love what they did with Doom 3. There are only a few games ever made with atmosphere this good. And this one might just take the cake. I'd say it's between this and Dead Space when it comes to a fully realized world, one where every virtual inch of space has details in the sounds and visuals. Black Mesa is another. I love being completely enveloped in game worlds like this.
I have such fond memories of loading up Doom 3 on the family computer and wincing at the screen every time anything made any noise.

Playing it on a smaller screen helps a lot.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Their strategy all along on pricing has been great (for them). Their games maintain their original MSRP and they continue to sell. People realize these games don't go on sale so they buy them when they want. Not like with other consoles where people KNOW a game will be half priced in a few months.

Although with my GCU subscription ending it's gonna be more painful buying Nintendo games.
Indeed. How many 26 year old games could you still play, and enjoy today?

Nothing against Doom 1 & 2 because they're amazing, but there are hundreds of games that are 26 years old and older that I would happily play.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Fun Facts about connections between Doom 64>Doom 3>Doom 2016

Doom 64 ends with Doomguy deciding to remain in Hell to ensure that demons never rise again.

In Doom 2016, the Doomslayer is stated to have "chosen the path of perpetual torment...to end the dominion of the dark realm. The scribes carved his name deep in the tablets of Hell. Blinded by his fervor, the lure drew him in. The priests brought down the temple upon the Doom Slayer, and in his defeat entombed him in the cursed sarcophagus. "

A 2016 character bio describes UAC later discovering his sarcophagus: "The UAC's most remarkable discovery was in Hell's Kadingir Sanctum. Surrounded by nearly impassable terrain, the team discovered a sealed tomb."

In the last portion of Doom 3, you play in UAC excavation Site 03. The artifact dig area in site 03 is where the Soul Cube and stone tablets can be found, and a room called the Chamber of the Hero featuring a large sarcophagus.

At the start of Doom 2016, the Doomslayer wakes from his sarcophagus in Site 03. The player's first objective is, "Find the Site 03 exit."
The Soul Cube can also be found later in the game inside a UAC office.

Doom 64:
qInXHtv.png

Doom 3:
ofQzS0Y.png

Doom 2016:
1C3VdUr.png

jdNMU7n.jpg
This is very cool. So Doom 3 and Doom 64 definitively both are canon to Doom 16, which I never even considered. Might have to catch up on both games.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thread on Twitter about Doom

apparently the game was made and distributed with an unlicensed version of unity, which goes against their TOS

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Some solid ports here, login shenanigans aside. I found the thread where I begged for this. a while back. Good things come to those who wait.

Doom 1 & 2 are tried and tested masterpieces, as ever. It's particularly great to finally have a proper portable Nintendo version of Doom. The GBA version, whilst incredibly impressive at the time, contained 23 levels and cut a lot of content/monsters.

Doom 3 is an excellent counterpart to the direction that Doom 2016 took the series in a few years back. Where Doom '16 develops the action-packed explosive reverie of the original titles, Doom 3 takes the creepier vibes of the PS1 port and the N64 sequel and runs with it. Whilst most of the horror elements boil down to monster closets, those monster closets are pretty damn scary. Also £8 is a pretty great price when you have shysters like Capcom and others charging way more for older titles.

Can we also just talk about how awesome it is that Doom 3 is running on a handheld? I remember when your computer had to be top of the range to run Doom 3 competently. 14 years later... geez.

Glad someone mentioned about DOOM 3. While it should run well on the Switch given the performance profile, DOOM 3 was a state of the art game upon release, and you really had to own top tier equipment to play it with good performance back then.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It's great that they are removing the bnet login requirements on the DOOM games. Now I really hope they do the same for Wolfenstein; Youngblood and DOOM Eternal.
And please add local wireless MP to Youngblood while you're at it, it boggles the mind why it doesn't have it.

Collated FAQ

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

OP, mind updating your post with some basics that get asked again and again?

FAQ

## DOOM & DOOM II ##
- ported by Nerve Software
- requires a one-time login with a Bethesda account on all platforms. Crappy servers are causing problems. A fix to make sign-ins fully optional is in the works. FIXED ON AUGUST 15, 2019 (version 1.0.2 for both games)
- Despite confusion, the sign-in requirement is a one-time thing and all the games can be fully played offline still (skip the sign in screen).
- have slower MIDI soundtrack playback than they should
- display in a stretched aspect ratio with rock-textures at the sides filling the rest
- does not include "Final DOOM" or "No Rest for the Living" content
- UPDATE: Login issue fix released on August 15 without addressing any of the other issues, it only fixed the login to be entirely optional as originally intended

## DOOM 3 ##
- ported by Panic Button on all platforms
- is based on the BFG Edition, is 60fps on Switch as well (with dips during heavy action)
- does not include DOOM and DOOM II for obvious reasons
- does not support gyro/motion aiming on Switch (or anywhere)
- PS4 (and Xbox?) version patched on August 15 with "various bug fixes" (version 1.20) Switch version patch released a day later.

## General ##
- do not include any online multiplayer
- all three support video capture on Switch
- native 4k res on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro (downsamples automatically on 1080p displays).

Digital Foundry special on the ports:

RE: XBLA license fix

Last edited:

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Mh.

Good if they fix it.

Probably won't get it anyways. Not really interested in playing the iwads again. Except for maybe Plutonia but that isn't here. The community is the entire point of Doom for me these days. I miiight get UD on Switch just 'cause, but let's wait and see them fix it first.