• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We still need an answer on the XBLA versions which got pulled from Xbox live.

A Bethesda representative confirmed to IGN that players who purchased Doom and Doom II via the Xbox 360 Xbox Live Arcade should still be able to download those versions of the Bethesda shooters and do not have to buy the newly re-released versions specifically for Xbox One.

"Players who own and previously installed the Xbox 360 XBLA backward-compatible version of the games on Xbox One will still find those games in their Game Library and will be able to reinstall that version of the game," a Bethesda representative told IGN via email.

"There was an error with this functionality today, but we expect it to be remedied very quickly."

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Some solid ports here, login shenanigans aside. I found the thread where I begged for this. a while back. Good things come to those who wait.

Doom 1 & 2 are tried and tested masterpieces, as ever. It's particularly great to finally have a proper portable Nintendo version of Doom. The GBA version, whilst incredibly impressive at the time, contained 23 levels and cut a lot of content/monsters.

Doom 3 is an excellent counterpart to the direction that Doom 2016 took the series in a few years back. Where Doom '16 develops the action-packed explosive reverie of the original titles, Doom 3 takes the creepier vibes of the PS1 port and the N64 sequel and runs with it. Whilst most of the horror elements boil down to monster closets, those monster closets are pretty damn scary. Also £8 is a pretty great price when you have shysters like Capcom and others charging way more for older titles.

Can we also just talk about how awesome it is that Doom 3 is running on a handheld? I remember when your computer had to be top of the range to run Doom 3 competently. 14 years later... geez.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
For somebody wanting to catch up on PC, what's the best version of Doom 3 to pick up? I like the idea of the horror elements and flashlight management, should I just go with the original, or the BFG edition? I already have the classic games, so those aren't much of a bonus for me when it comes to the BFG edition.

I did go ahead and pick up D1 and D2 on Switch, though. The handheld thing is just really cool. I played a bit of D1 and it feels great. Need to get used to stick-aiming again.

Do yourself a favor and turn on "Always Run" in the options. Gives it that necessary frenetic feeling.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
For somebody wanting to catch up on PC, what's the best version of Doom 3 to pick up? I like the idea of the horror elements and flashlight management, should I just go with the original, or the BFG edition? I already have the classic games, so those aren't much of a bonus for me when it comes to the BFG edition.
If you want it for the horror element then it's defo the original version you want.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Do yourself a favor and turn on "Always Run" in the options. Gives it that necessary frenetic feeling.

I prefer to just hold L2 to run instead, and leave always run off. It just makes more sense to me personally to hold a button down to 'accelerate', so to speak.

But yeah, you definitely need to treat it like classic Mario and be running constantly lol.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Damn shame the switch doesn't have more proper FPS games. Playing doom 3 has been great. I actually enjoy the slower pace and horror elements compared to 2016. 2016 is still a better game, but I like the zombies in the shadow approach too lol.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So I just tried it again on Switch. Went out into the garden where there is no wi-fi anywhere. Booted DOOM, it yelled at me that there is no internet, I kept pressing B aka the "don't bother me" button and eventually hit OKAY on the "you're not getting these sweet online features whatever they are because we have not tied anything in Slayers Club to it yet" screen and then I just play and play without interruptions. I still don't see what is causing the problems.

That's a licensing issue I think since it was developed and published by Midway Games.
Co-developed. The classic main team at id did all the design.

Is doom 3 the bfg version or not? That might be the only one I'll buy.
BFG (obivously without old DOONs included)
YES

I didn't know this was the case, thanks for sharing.
(ignore the platforms in the title, it's gonna land everywhere just like these did, too lazy to explain again why)

That's because they made it up to cover their ass in response to the "overreaction"
They didn't make it up, they just didn't bother having that ready because it makes complete sense and explains the wording "online features." They just didn't have it ready or whatever for this release which is annoying af.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
So if you already own the BFG Edition and originals on 360 - is there any reason to bother with these? (i.e. any resolution increases, better frame rates, etc)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, if you are going to pick up vanilla Doom 3 on PC (Steam), buy the game and the expansion separately instead of buying the "pack" that contains both. It's like a buck cheaper to buy it separately. It's weird that even the original prices were like that. Five bucks for D3, three bucks for the expac, but ten bucks for both in a bundle. Stupid. Sale price is less than three dollars for D3 and the expac, I'm okay with that.

Oct 26, 2017
Doom 3 on Switch has some bizarre frame rate drops in places where nothing happens. Like in some basic ass corridors and rooms, while some big demon ambush runs fine... Weird.

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently the guy who created Doom 64 EX (which is basically a remastered PC port of the game), Samuel Villarreal, is also the same guy who worked on Turok/Turok 2 remastered (for steam/xbone/switch), and is the senior programmer at Nightdive Studio.

He's currently retweeting the PEGI Doom64 rating:
AWH9bvs.png

And the studio is currently present at Quakecon retweeting images he takes referencing Doom 64:
9e5yRS0.png

PLEASE PROCEED TOWARD THE HAPPENING BUNKER

C2m9Ep3.gif

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently the guy who created Doom 64 EX (which is basically a remastered PC port of the game), Samuel Villarreal, is also the same guy who worked on Turok/Turok 2 remastered (for steam/xbone/switch), and is the senior programmer at Nightdive Studio.

AWH9bvs.png

And the studio is currently present at Quakecon retweeting images he takes referencing Doom 64:
9e5yRS0.png

C2m9Ep3.gif

Hype.

banter

Jan 12, 2018

AWH9bvs.png

9e5yRS0.png

C2m9Ep3.gif
This is awesome because I never played DOOM 64.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to hear they're fixing the login thing, and that the 360 version redownload issue is being resolved. I don't for a second believe that it was unintentional, but whatever.

Now if they can just fix the music slowness, the fist bug, and give it the proper aspect ratio, then it will be fine.

Also if Doom 64 is really happening, and it's based off of Doom 64 EX, then I don't have any worries about it being good.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017

AWH9bvs.png

9e5yRS0.png

C2m9Ep3.gif
Oh snap. When can we expect an announcement?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Does Doom 3 have the require Bethesda login thing? Probably the only one out of this batch that I would consider checking out.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doom64 getting an official, digital release would be huge. But I really want it to have online multiplayer instead of local... ffs.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad to see an explanation, but I literally don't believe that it was originally intended that way, considering that feature isn't reflected in the Slayer's Club. And I know testing instances of a game (in a QA setting) is more difficult with mandatory login steps like that, which is among a practical reason they're uncommon. Someone wanted that to be a mandatory first step, and the considering the Slayer's Club implementation wasn't part of the original surprise announcement, and isn't included among the current features, I have to assume this was just a convinient explanation.

It's fine in the end, so long as they make that adjustment, but it stretches credibility to my eyes just that tiny bit more. At best, it's notably bad communication and implementation.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Doom 3 for $10 seems to be pretty damn sweet. This is the BFG version right? Cause this would be cheaper than on steam even (well not now, cause that version is currently on sale).

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Both jump and y axis aiming are disabled by default in GZDoom, though, as it comes when you start it for the first time is pretty "Doomthentic", right off the bat. In fact it's very rare for jumping to be used, there is a setting that basically only enables it if the map you load has a flag that allows jumping, but >90% of the time level designers disallow it.

Y axis aiming is definitely enabled by default. I had to scour the net and learn that I needed create a custom cfg file to launch the games with x axis only aiming. Inconvenient for a layman like me.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
If I put my PS4 in rest mode with Doom 1 on screen, when I try to resume i get disconnected messeages from Bethesda. Have to close doom and open it again.

This is horseshit.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So if you already own the BFG Edition and originals on 360 - is there any reason to bother with these? (i.e. any resolution increases, better frame rates, etc)

Don't listen to the other response. Doom 3 is definitely improved. 1080p, better shadows and possibly higher resolution textures. Not to mention the rock solid frame rate and the field of view options.

As far as Doom 1 and 2, I think the XBLA ports are better. The only positive about the new ports is a noticeable bump in resolution but that is dragged down by messed up lighting, a slightly stretched image, sidebar art that won't go away and music that plays slower than it should.