• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question. What's the story behind the pills on the first aid kits? I've only ever played the original on different source ports
The red cross is a protected symbol under the Geneva convention, that's why it was removed. Been like this since the first time it got released on 360, IIRC. I assume the wolfenstein levels will also be changed in Doom II.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
So doom 1 and 2 on switch are as good as a port can be with HD rumble? Need to know before I buy.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Got the game for Switch, wanted to play on the way to Uni. Can't play because of DRM.

I can't play Doom, a 25 year old game on the go because of DRM. How fucking hard can I refund this?

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and purchased and downloaded Doom 1 and 2 just a moment ago. The BC 360 versions that are better ports than these and are based on the PC versions, as well as no DRM bullshit. I can't support it even if it's a 'minor inconvenience'. There's still a way to do it.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Man, there's some bad framepacing in Doom 3 on Switch. I refuse to believe the framerate is actually dropping below 60, but it looks choppy a lot of the time. Kinda surprised, especially after seeing Panic Button's name on it.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Bought all 3 version of Doom 1. I own Doom on every system it's been on except the Tapwave Zodiac, so why stop now?

Doom 64 would be the real treat, though.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The Shield TV has a Doom 3 BFG edition port which does occasionally drop a frame here or there. The Switch is the same silicon running at lower GPU and CPU clocks, but without Android overhead, so it really could go either way.

Ah, well it feels like bad framepacing more than frame drops, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough. I bet John from DF will do an analysis lol

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda never cease to surprise me...
In this re-release of Doom and Doom II, once you get the chainsaw you cannot use your fist anymore. Sure you switch to your fist if you get the berserk pack but if you switch out of fist (and have a chainsaw) weeeeell you can use your fist anymore.

I bet it happens in Doom II too.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Too bad this re-release seems to be missing Final Doom. Playing The Plutonia Experiment on Ultra Violence is the real deal.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Doom 2016's relationship to the other games is pretty nebulous. There's some loosey goosey lore stuff that sort of kind of maybe suggests the character in it could perhaps be the guy from the older games, but the actual story isn't a continuation of either the 1/2/64 or Doom 3 stories and is kind of a reboot again.
I like to think for head canon that dr.betruger would report to samuel hayden back when mr hayden had a body

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
While people are melting down, I'm having a great time playing all these Doom games on my Switch. Especially with 3 which is surprising to me, already put a few hours into it and it's better than I remember.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think I'm gonna have to pass on DOOM 1 and 2 here. That login DRM bullshit is unacceptable, the slowed down music sucks, removal of the Nazis is complete bullshit in an age where we should be shooting the fuck out of Nazis and have like 4 brand new Wolfenstein games but they can't keep them in two levels that are literally Wolfenstein levels, and also I hate that you can't use the red cross on health packs anymore, but that's a small thing.

If they ever remove the DRM and fix the music I might consider it again. Those two things are complete fuckups. Also give us widescreen. Source ports of DOOM have been around for 20 years. You can keep the game vanilla while still tweaking some things to make it feel and play more modern. I want widescreen with the limited HUD as an option so the entire view is just the game.

Then again I just watched the guy from GoNintendo play the game and just as I feared the controls are gonna suck. The jerking of the view from left to right is just like I feared. Is there sensitivity controls on this? I can't play FPS games with a controller anymore. I'm still interested in DOOM 3 but I'm worried I can't control it anymore. Yeah, I'm also watching GameXplain and the same view jerking is there. I can't stand watching that. Also is there an autorun option? Everyone's walking through these levels. No one walks in DOOM! You RUN EVERYWHERE in these games. Can you even run at all? No one is doing it at all. Maybe I'm biased because I play these games like a speed runner (Without the speed running part) so I'm bouncing off the walls all the time.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I got the game with gold points but when I try to make an account for their stupid DRM it's giving me an error screen.

Any advice?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think I'm gonna have to pass on DOOM 1 and 2 here. That login DRM bullshit is unacceptable, the slowed down music sucks, removal of the Nazis is complete bullshit in an age where we should be shooting the fuck out of Nazis and have like 4 brand new Wolfenstein games but they can't keep them in two levels that are literally Wolfenstein levels, and also I hate that you can't use the red cross on health packs anymore, but that's a small thing.

If they ever remove the DRM and fix the music I might consider it again. Those two things are complete fuckups. Also give us widescreen. Source ports of DOOM have been around for 20 years. You can keep the game vanilla while still tweaking some things to make it feel and play more modern. I want widescreen with the limited HUD as an option so the entire view is just the game.

Then again I just watched the guy from GoNintendo play the game and just as I feared the controls are gonna suck. The jerking of the view from left to right is just like I feared. Is there sensitivity controls on this? I can't play FPS games with a controller anymore. I'm still interested in DOOM 3 but I'm worried I can't control it anymore. Yeah, I'm also watching GameXplain and the same view jerking is there. I can't stand watching that. Also is there an autorun option? Everyone's walking through these levels. No one walks in DOOM! You RUN EVERYWHERE in these games. Can you even run at all? No one is doing it at all. Maybe I'm biased because I play these games like a speed runner (Without the speed running part) so I'm bouncing off the walls all the time.
I think i saw the auto run option in the settings watching the Gamexplain video.

Oct 27, 2017

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Was excited to see this this morning on the eShop. But after reading about needing to make an account and seeing no 3, I think it just hold onto my money.

Nov 8, 2017
How in the hell do you agree to the ZeniMax Code of Conduct? I've scrolled to the bottom and pressed every button and nothing allows me to select "Agree". This is just hilariously awful. Refund please.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I know it's only a one time thing like dozens have mentioned here, but, there REALLY shouldn't be an online check at all. Especially not for these games which were made years ago.

Either way I'm more concerned with the music lag and other issues that plague the original 2 Dooms.
Oh wow