• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how excellent source ports of Doom 1 and 2 are, I find it baffling that Bethesda's own software teams can't provide a decent official port. Hopefully they don't find the need to screw with the PC versions so the original WADs and all that are always accessible.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Good to hear. Is it 4K?

I wonder how it is on PS4 Pro.
Any guess on the resolution?
Hard to tell, my TV isn't 4k. The edges' seem to look smooth so either downscaled from 4k or AA applied. But for sure it's 1080p. Here's two screenshots, hope you're able to view them.

7-26-2019_1-13-37_pm-16jdh.png

7-26-2019_1-13-43_pm-nnk4y.png

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, the music sounds kinda off, like it's a PAL version or something, but gameplay feels fantastic.

Surely it'd be a simple fix though.

pukadon

Oct 27, 2017
Just so you know, the xbla version of doom are gone. licence revoked. you cannot download them even ifyou bought the games. wtf bethesda?!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the music sound a bit slow (in the Switch version at least)?
Yes, it's slowed down and some instruments sound very off. It's very similar (if not the same?) to the PS3 version, it sucks... Tho I played so much of these on PS3 that by now I'm used to these borked soundtracks lol. Still, I really hope they fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Other than that, these ports run and control excellently and the HD rumble is pretty neat.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Outstanding! Lets get Doom!

/me Plays Doom

Well, I'm still not great at it, and I keep trying to figure out why I can't look up.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I played about 30 minutes of Doom 3 on Switch in handheld mode.
Overall it looks really solid and plays well, however the game does chug a bit when there's a lot of action on the screen.
Edit: Tried docked mode and performance was about the same, hopefully further patches can optimize the performance.
Still, not a bad port and it's nice to have Doom 3 on the go, which I assume would be the main appeal of the Switch version.

Last edited:

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Yes, it's slowed down and some instruments sound very off. It's very similar (if not the same?) to the PS3 version, it sucks... Tho I played so much of these on PS3 that by now I'm used to these borked soundtracks lol. Still, I really hope they fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Other than that, these ports run and control excellently and the HD rumble is pretty neat.
Fuck, the xbla versions had the same problem. Hopefully they fix that.

Damn, the music is such an integral part of the game for me... What are the chances of them fixing it? :(

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Looks like it's not correctly darkening textures are they go into the distance too.

Honestly this is the biggest problem with the port. I could live with it being a tiny bit stretched but this is unacceptable. By the way it was Nerve Software that handled the port which is strange as I thought they handled the XBLA ports too.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Jeezus, the PS4 version moves slower than all other versions. How the hell they mess this up. I'll pass.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no Y-axis camera movement, gameview not fully stretched to 16:9 and tacked-on DRM for the Switch version

wow id, wow

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked it up for switch and get greeted by "Log into BNet".

First off, don't call it BNet, that's taken already.
Second of all, why in the world do they need me to log in to this?

Something about this really irks me even though I know it's not a huge deal. I don't even have a Bethesda account so I guess I gotta make one now.

no Y-axis camera movement, gameview not fully stretched to 16:9 and tacked-on DRM for the Switch version

wow id, wow

No vertical look is just DOOM baby. Allowing vertical look really fucks with the illusion (DOOM isn't a true 3d Game). Having to log in is a load of garbage though. I don't think id had anything to do with this port.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No, haven't played Doom since it's original PC release back in...Christ, 2004?

Assuming you mean Doom 3, yup 15 years - same year as Half Life 2!

As for the flashlight, I think they rebalanced the game as BFG is still great, even if it feels more action-ey. I loved Doom 3 when it originally released, but the flashlight mechanic even at the time felt pretty silly (particularly with the pistol!). Like this space marine can't figure out a better solution than this?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Assuming you mean Doom 3, yup 15 years - same year as Half Life 2!

As for the flashlight, I think they rebalanced the game as BFG is still great, even if it feels more action-ey. I loved Doom 3 when it originally released, but the flashlight mechanic even at the time felt pretty silly. Like this space marine can't figure out a better solution than this??

I understand the logic of it was flawed, but having to choose between being able to see your environment with no defense and access to weapons while being cut off from seeing your environment made things really tense.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You need to sign in with a Bethesda account to play these games? Why?! I wouldn't want to create it before, but after the 76 shit storm, like hell I'm supporting that...

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I already had a Bethesda account somehow but some cynical part of me thinks all these new users are gonna show up in some graph somewhere patting themselves on the back for all these new Bethesda.net users...

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Just picked it up for switch and get greeted by "Log into BNet".

First off, don't call it BNet, that's taken already.
Second of all, why in the world do they need me to log in to this?

Something about this really irks me even though I know it's not a huge deal. I don't even have a Bethesda account so I guess I gotta make one now.

No vertical look is just DOOM baby. Allowing vertical look really fucks with the illusion (DOOM isn't a true 3d Game). Having to log in is a load of garbage though. I don't think id had anything to do with this port.
Agreed. Having to log in is a load of fucking trash even if it really isn't much of a pain. online DRM on fucking doom is indefensible.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Utterly baffling that an XBLA port from 2006 gets this right but a multiplatform re-release in 2019 can't.

screenshot-original14c1py6.png

I'd argue that this isn't necessarily the best, either. There's been dozens source ports for billions of years now where you can keep the graphics vanilla but properly scaled for widescreen. No reason for this to have been 4:3 in 2006 or these new ports to have stretched widescreen.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
They key is in your post: Multiplatform vs decidedly single platform-focused version created to highlight all the strengths.

The strength of no forced wallpaper?

I'd argue that this isn't necessarily the best, either. There's been dozens source ports for billions of years now where you can keep the graphics vanilla but properly scaled for widescreen. No reason for this to have been 4:3 in 2006 or these new ports to have stretched widescreen.

Oh, for sure a native widescreen is prefered 99% of the time. Just if the screen isn't going to be filled I'd rather not force my TV to display a static image.

Oct 27, 2017
So not only did they take away the Xbox version (thus not allowing people to play it even though they own it) and delisted the PS3 collection that had everything. But they gave us a worse version?

God damn.

Who's "They" here?
The XBLA version was published by Activision and was taken down due to them no longer having the license iirc.

I just played a few stages on the Switch. Plays well, but I really hope they fix the music tempo, it's weird. SE fixed the music in the FF7 port, so anything's possible I guess.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, I got so excited for these but hearing all the crap actually killed this for me. How do you screw up Doom :/

Oct 27, 2017
Who's "They" here?
The XBLA version was published by Activision and was taken down due to them no longer having the license iirc.

I just played a few stages on the Switch. Plays well, but I really hope they fix the music tempo, it's weird. SE fixed the music in the FF7 port, so anything's possible I guess.
Bethesda.

And no, they had it on the Xbox Store. After they bought Doom and Id the rights transfered to them. They even made them backwards compatible.

Also if it is as you say (which I doubt), what about the PS3 version, why did they remove it?

Oct 27, 2017

I think proper 16:9 with the correct scalling for the sprites is best, but 4:3 is second best. The option to switch between those would be nice.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the logic of it was flawed, but having to choose between being able to see your environment with no defense and access to weapons while being cut off from seeing your environment made things really tense.

Agreed. I always felt like I was one of the few people that actually liked the dumb trade off between having to have the flashlight up or weapons. It didn't always work great but it was a fascinating mechanic that I think helped elevate the game past just a dark corridor monster closet romp.

Oct 26, 2017
Step 0. Get a pc
1. Buy Doom 2 for 2€ on steam, in offer right now
2. Download GZDoom
3. Configure the way you prefer. modern aiming or classic? software look or filtered textures and 3d lightning? wasd or classic strafing controls?
4. Download ZDL launcher.
5. Download from misc mods like better music and better textures, to utility mods like custom super granular difficulty, or autosave feature (edit: or maybe new weapon packs! or maybe an AI director mods! or a randomizer of enemies with dozens of new monsters!)
YyneBXk.png

6. Download any wad of the highly polished and mature mod scene, see https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/
7. ???
8. Profit!

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Who's "They" here?

They is Bethesda. They originally released under Activision but got re-released under Bethesda. This has zero to do with Activision.