• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It looks really clean portable, dare I say native res. If its not native, then its pretty close because it has that crisp look of a native res game. Some of the posters/billboard textures look lower res than you would expect, but the screens that you interact with look nice and clean so far.

Really hoping DF does a deep dive on this.

Thank you for the impressions. Sounds like Panic Button did well.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I played all of these in the Doom 3 BFG edition leading up to the 2016 game's release, so I'm not quite ready to play these again yet, but I'll probably get them in the future.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Any screen shots by chance? This is a big deal for me.
Here's a screenshot I took of it on PS4:

doom_20190726194743lzj8k.png

And what it usually looks like today when at 4:3:

wsCXbNJ.png

I think they were trying to emulate the original resolution in 1993, but it just looks odd now on modern TVs.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Holy shit that 3D scene outtro is amazing lol

edit oh my it's negativity all around, isn't it. I had absolutely no issues with the port, the stretchyness is minor, controls are fine after one level. Didn't notice slower music either, but that might be my mind playing tricks on me. I do think though some tracks sounded better on Gen Midi.

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Did Doom 3 always have these hard pauses for Auto Saves? Its annoying on Switch when things just stop and an auto-save bar pops up. It looks like you can disable auto-saving in the menu's if it gets too annoying.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I was ready to write these off for later because it's motherfucking Fire Emblem day, but $5 a pop on Switch? I'm in. Don't think I'd have noticed the stretching.

Never played Doom 3 and might do it on a whim down the line at that price, but surprised that it's a 7.6GB download.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
OK so I am incredibly excited to be able to play MOTHERFUCKING DOOM without homebrew on Switch BUT

why is the music speed incorrect? it honestly has this really weird effect of changing the game's mood for me because imo the music is such an integral part of the classic Doom experience

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The lighting still looks really impressive to this day.

Just played docked for a bit and was thinking the same thing. We may have more accurate realtime lighting not, but for the look they were going for, its really effective and still impressive considering the age of the game.

That being said, framerate definitely has hitching at times. I'm not sure how the game handles streaming, but it feels like it has a hard time keeping up at times.

May 18, 2018
What's the difference between Final Doom (ps1) and Doom 1 & 2 (this release)? I loved the music in Final Doom and still own it with a ps2 slim!

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Never played Doom 3 and might do it on a whim down the line at that price, but surprised that it's a 7.6GB download.
Pretty standard for a last gen game. Usually don't get much bigger than 15GB and early gen were around usually 3-4GB. 7.6GB is exactly the same as the Steam install I think.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between Final Doom (ps1) and Doom 1 & 2 (this release)? I loved the music in Final Doom and still own it with a ps2 slim!
Final Doom is two expansion packs for Doom 2 and the version you played had a more horror vibe, lighting and music.

This is vanila Doom 1 and Doom 2. Both of these have midi metal music and are lighter in tone. They also don't include Final Doom with this.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this tweet about them being ports to Unity and the possibility these will be brought to mobile. Can anyone else verify?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying unsuccessfully to find it in the thread, so apologies in advance if this has been beaten to death already: Does this version of DOOM 3 have simultaneous flashlight and shooting or is like the original where it's one or the other?

EDIT: ^ so it is BFG?

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Played DOOM 3 on Xbox One X. It's 60fps, very smooth all around. So glad there's FOV option. I'm going to install BFG on PC (and vanilla DOOM 3 too) to compare which build Panic Button used to port.

Oct 27, 2017

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Do you really need to log in with Bethesda account to start games?
For Doom 1 and 2, yes, but you only have to do it once. After the initial log in you never have to do it again. Dunno if Doom 3 needs it.

Doom 3 has the option to log in, but its not required. I was able to play through the intro without having logged in first. After I went back to the main menu, I dug up my password and logged in. Didn't seem to make a difference either way.