• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are ever playing any Bethesda game again—DOOM, Wolfenstein, RAGE, Prey, Dishonored, The Evil Within, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, any of that—you need a Bethesda account. Not really a "random site" there.
This is like complaining you need a uPlay account for Assassin's Creed. You make the account once and you move on and forget about it. I'm really not seeing the outrage here.
I will never play any of those games.

Look I'll probably get the game it's just annoying.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The Doom 1 and 2 ports are garbage. Stretched sprites, no way to turn off the side bar art, lack of customizable controls, etc. These are not hard things to get right, I don't understand how they get this shit wrong.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Bought and tried doom 1 on the switch. Version is worse than the xbla version you can play on xbox one. Lacking any online at all. Not even leaderboards. Think il get doom 3 on the xbox one. Hoping its 60fps

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I keep seeing people say you have to sign in? Is it an actual signin with Beth account information? I just started Doom 1 on PS4 and mashed few a through things and it brought me into the game? If there is a sign in on PS4, it's not account based?

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Also the iOS version sucks. The controls are garbage and I don't get it. The very original release from like 10 years ago felt great but now, not so much. I guess the silver lining in all of this is I have Doom on my Switch? 🤷‍♂️

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, DOS ran at 70Hz
In the 90's (and early 2000's), Yes.

Last time I had a CRT monitor there was a 70hz option available for it in the settings, and I think even an LED screen I used had a 70hz mode as well.
Wolfenstein 3D was 70Hz, yes, but Doom was more complicated so they halved the framerate.
Wow, I had absolutely no idea this was ever a thing. Always thought it was really odd, but no idea that DOS was 70Hz and CRT was as well for a while. That's really interesting!

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
How are the ports compared to bfg? Bfg was wonky on PS3, Doom 1 and 2 had frequent framerate issues and 3 had a very aggressive dynamic resolution because ps3's took weak for 3.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Doom and Doom 2 on the NS. I have to say, the lack of gyro aiming REALLY sucks. I have a hard time aiming at stuff and end up doing the strafe aiming which feels terrible. I wish they gave us the option to have gyro because as it stands now I don't know how far I'll be able to go in the game. Game runs great, though.

Oct 29, 2017
NL
tenor.gif

So they are just shitty ports? No 4K or other upgrades?

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the DF review of the PS3 and Xbox 360 ports for anyone that's interested.

I still haven't gotten home yet to try these out.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Doom 1 and 2 ports are super basic. And the music is slowed down. Still worth buying, but these ports are disappointing.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Booted up Doom 3 on Switch and was surprised to see it 60fps. Seeing Panic Button during the opening splash screens gave me hope, but it it was still a nice surprise. Hoping the framerate holds up through the experience.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Panic button will prob fix the issues fast

I don't think Panic Button did the ports of these for the NS. At least I didn't see their logo anywhere like the other games they've worked on.

Also, gonna add that I think these ports are super basic and obviously done on the cheap. Not being able to get full screen is a serious oversight. Oh well, I'll work my way through the games anyway since the last time I've messed with the originals was on the original Xbox.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I bought Doom and Doom 2 on the NS. I have to say, the lack of gyro aiming REALLY sucks. I have a hard time aiming at stuff and end up doing the strafe aiming which feels terrible. I wish they gave us the option to have gyro because as it stands now I don't know how far I'll be able to go in the game. Game runs great, though.

Why do you need gyro aiming? There's no Y axis in these games.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I need footage of Doom 3 on Switch asap! It's killing me being at work.

It looks really clean portable, dare I say native res. If its not native, then its pretty close because it has that crisp look of a native res game. Some of the posters/billboard textures look lower res than you would expect, but the screens that you interact with look nice and clean so far.

Really hoping DF does a deep dive on this.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
The Doom 1 and 2 ports are super basic. And the music is slowed down. Still worth buying, but these ports are disappointing.

I've been trying to get an answer to this for awhile, since it seems you've actually been able to play them both, does the DOOM II port on Switch include No Rest for the Living ?

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Why release these the same day as Fire Emblem? I have limited spending allowance each month.
Eh I'll get these later.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Over the last few years I've made my way through the Doom games again, mainly on Xbox BC. Lots of fun! I've still got Doom 3 BFG disc sitting there to play... wonder if I should get it on Switch instead now? :D

Also, you have no idea how much I wished this news was Doom 64! Would love to play that again on a console with the usual dual stick etc enhancements. Going back to stock N64 ver is tough and I don't want to play on PC.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Being able to fine tune the horizontal shooting would mean strafe shooting would be much better. Much like playing with a mouse/keyboard. The NS should allow for this fairly easily.

And it's a shame because the Wolfenstein arcade machines in the two Switch ports have gyro controls, and they work beautifully.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah. Being able to fine tune the horizontal shooting would mean strafe shooting would be much better. Much like playing with a mouse/keyboard. The NS should allow for this fairly easily.

DOOM 1 and 2 were designed to be played with just a keyboard though, you don't even need to use a mouse on the PC versions.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks really clean portable, dare I say native res. If its not native, then its pretty close because it has that crisp look of a native res game. Some of the posters/billboard textures look lower res than you would expect, but the screens that you interact with look nice and clean so far.

Really hoping DF does a deep dive on this.
Yeah, looks native 1080p on a TV to me, but I'm no expert.

Runs at 60fps but has some drops when lits of lighting effects are going on.
Game has flashlight shadows turned off by default. It is smoother with them turned off but it's still not locked 100% of the time.

Seems like a cool way to play the game. I haven't tried portable yet.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
After playing a bit more of Doom 1, the game is way too bright. You can't be in the dark. :( Like they really fucked this up. I ducked back into the XBLA port of Doom and it is way better. I'm hoping they did better with Doom 3.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM 1 and 2 were designed to be played with just a keyboard though, you don't even need to use a mouse on the PC versions.

It's funny because I don't think I've ever played DOOM with just a keyboard. Not saying it can't be played with dual analog, but the aiming REALLY feel clunky and not so smooth, which is the nature of dual analog in the first place. I'd like to play it with better control when aiming horizontally...if possible.