• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Just bought doom 3. I had to, because that was the game that made me and many others buy a new pc to run it.
It might sound repetitive, but playing this on a handheld device, would have been magic for me 15 years ago.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
EAapKlbUcAAfjIk

Wow, all 5 games in this image have Doomguy!

(please)

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wow. As a DOOM fan of the series I am actually surprised. I just added them all to my Wishlist and will think about purchasing them later. For now I want to do research before I spend my money right away.

My initial reaction however is that I assume the DOOM and DOOM II ports are just normal 4:3 aspect with no up and down aiming (Yes I know the game didn't have or need it, but it feels weird for me when I play without the view looking up or down. It's a turnoff) which I'm not sure about. Also I'm so used to playing on a source port GZDoom where the weapons can be aimed properly and the screen is wide and I can use Brutal DOOM to make it more fun. I haven't played "vanilla" DOOM in decades nor have I enjoyed it since the creation of BD. I'd be happy if it were just widescreen and had vertical aiming.

DOOM 3 however, I've been wanting to play that again for a while. I owned it on Xbox way back in the day in the limited edition metal casing and haven't played it since I beat it then. Never owned the expansions. My Xbox doesn't play it anymore. And I own it on Steam but never owned a machine that can actually play it. So this might be my only way to play it again. So that's probably a definite purchase.

Also, I still haven't bought DOOM 2016 yet. I want it physical but am waiting for a good price for the Switch version.

I'm just worried I won't be able to play with a controller period. It's been years since I actually played FPS games on a console with a controller. I'm used to using the arrow keys and my trackpad on my MBP. (Yes, you read that right. No, don't bother telling me I'm playing wrong. I'm not having this conversation again.) And they work so well for me, I can't use any other control schemes. I can never get the "look sensitivity" right on the control sticks. Either I turn too fast or I turn too slow and I can't do it. So that's the only thing keeping me from buying or playing any of these games. On the other hand, a controller is the only way I ever played 3 so I might still be able to do that.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
DOOM 3 is nothing like the other games in the series. It went for a slower, more tense pace, focused on a horror game like atmosphere and world building. The gunplay is fairly mediocre, but the game is more than worth it, imo.
Thanks. I love the OG and the fast pace of their last release. The idea of a slower DOOM is interesting. I'm in. :^D

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Cheat menu is nice. The vibration feels different to other games, I kind of like it. I just wish I could turn off the border, one of my pet peeves.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Doom 1 is still such a fantastic, well designed game. Man, this really is on my alltime favorites and it's not JUST nostalgia. It's still so much fun.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the original DOOM actually run at 35fps? That's one jankyass frame rate. Was 70Hz ever a thing?

In the 90's (and early 2000's), Yes.

Last time I had a CRT monitor there was a 70hz option available for it in the settings, and I think even an LED screen I used had a 70hz mode as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Never played 3. Am I in for a treat?
If you expect a moody horror game that's more about tension than it is action, then I think you're in for a treat.
If you go in expecting face paced action excitement like other Doom games then you're in for an unpleasant shock instead.
Going in with the right expectations is key. I like Doom 3.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a Switch yet, but I've always felt that every console should have the original Doom games available for them. When I get a Switch I'll be playing through the first episode of the first Doom a lot, at least.

Man, I wish they put Classic Doom on the Vita, I might've played the damn thing then...

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM is just so intelligently designed and fun to play, it's like Romero and Carmack are American Miyamotos or something

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If you are ever playing any Bethesda game again—DOOM, Wolfenstein, RAGE, Prey, Dishonored, The Evil Within, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, any of that—you need a Bethesda account. Not really a "random site" there.
This is like complaining you need a uPlay account for Assassin's Creed. You make the account once and you move on and forget about it. I'm really not seeing the outrage here.

Does everything have to be measured in outrage? I don't think anyone is outraged. People are annoyed. I'm annoyed. It's annoying and doesn't do anything to enhance the experience whatsoever. It's not a dealbreaker (for me anyway), but I absolutely would be happier if it didn't have it.

This is like complaining you need a uPlay account to play a 1:1 port of Rayman '95.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Expected nothing less from our friends at Panic Button.

Also, idTech 3 is a real workhorse
You need to validate once. Upon first startup, you need to login.
One and done. You never need to do it again.

So that's certainly not a dealbreaker for me but I can see the problem here. Having said that, I would feel worse about this if these games were:
A. Not so widely available.
B. If there were some Switch or PS4 exclusive features with these games. Upon first blush it seems like there's nothing special about these versions.

I know those aren't relevant considerations to archivists and such so I understand the frustration here but I don't think anything of real value here is lost if these versions are ever rendered unplayable.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
This is a silly question, but I'm assuming there's no technical problems with the Switch or PS4 versions of Doom 1/2? The whole bethseda account thing has me concerned lol.

This is gonna be super wild, but I'm asking because *I've somehow never played Doom 1/2*. I didn't have a PC back at the time when those were out, and we haven't actually even owned a PC in years. I just somehow never got around to it or really though about it much for whatever reason, so I want to remedy that now. I was actually talking with some friends like 2 months ago about how if they got ported to PS4/Switch (which I own) I'd grab them to finally do it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I also would not hate having a Wolfenstein 3D port. Just throwing that out in to the universe.
I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D at my grandpa's house on his computer when I was a wee lil' Neiteio. My grandpa, who is German, would comically pretend that he was being shot as I ran around shooting videogame Nazis. I still remember my mom coming down the stairs and staring slack-jawed in horror, going, "Dad what the hell are you doing," lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is DOOM the feature complete version, as far as like official stuff goes, or is it missing anything?
Couldn't give a damn about 2 or 3, but DOOM on PS4 sounds mighty tempting. If the PS3 port had more content, I'll stick with that though.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is DOOM the feature complete version, as far as like official stuff goes, or is it missing anything?
Couldn't give a damn about 2 or 3, but DOOM on PS4 sounds mighty tempting. If the PS3 port had more content, I'll stick with that though.
If you have the Classic Complete version then ignore this. It is a barebones version.

But if you are specifically talking about Doom 1 then the four episodes are here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is like complaining you need a uPlay account for Assassin's Creed. You make the account once and you move on and forget about it. I'm really not seeing the outrage here.
Is a Ubisoft Club / Uplay account required to play at all though? Even for offline content? If not, it really isn't comparable.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
We need Quake 1-3 ports on modern consoles. PLEASE

I just want Quake 1 with the original Trent Reznor OST.

Somewhat related: nin.com has had a preorder page for a vinyl version of the Quake OST for a couple years now but they're yet to take any preorders on it! It drives me nuts every time I remember this! lol

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3 being the BFG edition is an easy pass. The brightened lighting takes away the only appeal of that game for me. The PC mod had a nice compromise with the flashlight.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Depends, is it the original Doom 3 or the BFG edition? I assume it is the latter.
The BFG edition is a travesty similar to the Silent Hill remakes on PS3/360.

That's a tad hyperbolic. lol. They definitely retooled the game more than a bit to where I could see how fans of the original version don't like it as much but none of what they did is even close to equivalent to the absolutely abysmal/botched SH HD Collection.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Does this new release of Doom 2 actually have both official "episodes"?