• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
The X360 ports of the original games are excellent, proving that Doom games with a controller are actually very enjoyable. This likely won't be different.

They're not. Gamepad in pc designed games are hacks. You cant optimally tackle the large mobs that come with higher difficulties. You cant react properly. You cant move as well. With the speed of the game, you cant even go through a door without bumping into three walls until you succeed.

I remember watching some Halo video long time ago, where it mentioned how one of the good points of Halo was that it made an fps game tailored made for what consoles are equiped with. It felt right and that it belonged on a console. Whereas until then you had fps games on consoles, but they were almost all of them ports of PC tailored made games. So they never felt right. They never felt finely tuned for the platform because they were always shoehorned into platforms that didnt have tools for which the games were tailored made for

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
This is so awesome! I'll buy all three! Doom 3 was actually my introduction to the franchise and while I get that it is looked back on pretty poorly nowadays, I still think it's a great game in its own right.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
It is probably not even that. Final Doom and the Master Levels don't seem to be included. (I am not sure about No Rest for The Living episode though. I hope it is included because it is an awesome and very well designed episode).

Yeah, you're right. I didn't notice Final, but the less I have to go through one more damn room with chaingunners on some high platform, the better. It's not a huge loss. But I definitely saw Master Levels in the description for Doom II.

Oct 25, 2017
For the record I was fine with Doom 3 atmosphere and take on the series. Both the PS1 Doom and Doom 64 go for a more horror focus than the PC originals and it's still great because the gameplay was still good.

Doom 3's game play turns into a boring corridor shooter about two hours in and the environment feels copied and pasted together and quickly loses appeal and feeling of dread with monster closets. You quickly learn to always anticipate to look behind you in new rooms because of the spawning monsters and it becomes old fast.

Not mention the gun play itself is just too weak and water-downed compared to the originals.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please stop the the Doom 64 talk for my sake. Probably my second favorite Doom game ever. I'd love it on Switch ;_;

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does this port even have Y-axis aiming? It would be cool to just get a straight gzdoom port, but I'm not expecting it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you're right. I didn't notice Final, but the less I have to go through one more damn room with chaingunners on some high platform, the better. It's not a huge loss. But I definitely saw Master Levels in the description for Doom II.
I didn't like Final Doom much either (but It would have been great to be included anyway). Good to see Master Levels seems to be in. That means No Rest for the Living has a chance!

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I don't really think that's fair. You can't look at these games through the lens of 2019 and decide what they should be.

For 2004, Doom 3 was the right kind of experience. I don't think a Doom 64 style game would have done all that well - it would have been considered dated even if it was awesome. That was already true of Doom 64. I think it's one of the best games on N64 but it was viewed as old and uninteresting when it launched.

Thats extremely accurate. A game like Doom 16 would have been market as primitive and an involution. A year where Far Cry was doing large open areas with phenomenal AI and multiple ways of tackling situations and Half Life 2, with its setpieces, variation, sophistication and physics - a Doom 16 style game would have been panned to oblivion. They would've said its a game that presents itself as if the last 10 years never happened. As if games like Thief, Delta Force, Half Life, System Shock 2, Deus Ex or No One Lives Forever didnt happen. A simplistic, one trick pony game that is out of place in todays market.

Doom 3 was just right. It came out with the form it should have.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying them all. What's price ?
I wish it would come in one package though. For just one icon. Switch UI is so bad

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Doom 64 is more relevant to the plot of the modern Doom games than Doom 3 is.
Bring Doom 64 to Switch plz.
Also give me Doom Slayer in Smash.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's not what I'm doing though. I've been saying that for as long as I can remember.

DOOM 3 was a colossal disappointment to me, even back when it was fresh. DOOM 64 on the other hand was special when it launched and remains special to this day.
Well, if that's you're feeling only, that's totally fine obviously.

I definitely do not agree, though. Not even a little. I love both Doom 64 and Doom 3. Would have been a shame if Doom 3 didn't exist as is.

...and a Doom 64-like Doom 3 in 2004 would have been panned and considered a failure even if it were revered years after its release.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Great games at impulse prices! If Doom 3 is 60 FPS I'm all over that noise.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Well, if that's you're feeling only, that's totally fine obviously.

I definitely do not agree, though. Not even a little. I love both Doom 64 and Doom 3. Would have been a shame if Doom 3 didn't exist as is.

...and a Doom 64-like Doom 3 in 2004 would have been panned and considered a failure even if it were revered years after its release.

Is there such thing as a 'bad' Doom game? They're all pretty much benchmarks in the FPS genre. Hence why, an announcement of a 25 year old game on a handheld system can generate 8 pages on a forum post after 1 hour!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
is doom 3 good? never played it. should probably be worth one playthrough at that price.

If you go into it expecting something different from Doom you'll dramatically increase your chances of enjoying it. It's much more in the vein of a survival horror or immersive sim game than it is a fast paced Doom game.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Final DOOM on PS1?

Yes.

51P2DRQ76FL._SX342_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I'm doing though. I've been saying that for as long as I can remember.

DOOM 3 was a colossal disappointment to me, even back when it was fresh. DOOM 64 on the other hand was special when it launched and remains special to this day.

Doom 64 is great, but sadly most people looked down on it when it came out. I very much remember it being made fun of for being so close to Doom 1 and 2 and using sprites for enemies.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! Gonna be a day one purchase for me!

I've been waiting for these games to come to Switch. This makes me happy.