• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's awesome. I just finished a huge Doom Marathon where I played every official release (including Master Levels and Final). These will fit wonderfully on the Switch library.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Doom 64 is the only official Doom game I never played. I never owned an N64, only some friends of mine did but none of them had it. At this point I don't think I'd bother looking for (legal or otherwise) ways to play that game, but I'd throw down even 15-20 Euros for a proper high resolution port of it. I know some dudes on PC have enhanced ports and whatnot, but still. The game looks so good, a weird mixture of Doom and Quake that looks strange, but also better than both in some ways (and I adore both). I wonder if there's licensing issues with that game because they keep "forgetting" to port it when they're releasing this kind of stuff.
D64 is secretly my favourite doom game in many ways - I just cannot get enough of its look and sound.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I love Doom 2016 but it feels like a sequel to Brutal Doom, not the original Doom. Doom 3 captures the dread that the original Doom had. I love Doom 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome.

Would have been even better had Doom 64 been included. I wonder if this will be a different port than the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions that have been recycled for a while now.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Not the best day to stealth drop 3 eShop games ...

After the keynote, developers from id and Bethesda will revisit the past 25 years of Doom. The roundtable will include id creative director Hugo Martin, MachineGames executive producer Jerk Gustafsson, Bethesda senior VP of development Todd Vaughn, Bethesda Game Studios studio co-director Tom Mustain, and id senior producer Kevin Cloud.

Stream of Eternal today

Of course its the best day to do it !

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's a myth, it had mouse support when it launched and the demos the game runs all use the mouse for input as confirmed by Romero
Yeah, but mouse input in the original DOS version is pretty lousy, I feel. It doesn't really work or feel like modern mouse/key combinations.

DOOM 64 is what DOOM 3 should have been. It was super dark with a strong horror vibe which made it unique, but it also felt like classic DOOM at the same time. Such a gem.
I don't really think that's fair. You can't look at these games through the lens of 2019 and decide what they should be.

For 2004, Doom 3 was the right kind of experience. I don't think a Doom 64 style game would have done all that well - it would have been considered dated even if it was awesome. That was already true of Doom 64. I think it's one of the best games on N64 but it was viewed as old and uninteresting when it launched.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
How's the actual gunplay in D3? I don't mind a slower pace than D00M 2016 but I still want the shooting to be decent

Oct 27, 2017
Can DOOM/2 even have gyro?
Can? Probably. Is there any need for it though? I don't see how it would improve the game in anyway. The game is desig ed around auto aim and no up down aiming so you don't need precise aiming to play it. Biggest things you need to learn to be able to play it is dodging and thinking fast. That includes needing fast aim (and again the game auto aims so there is no need for precision).

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but mouse input in the original DOS version is pretty lousy, I feel. It doesn't really work or feel like modern mouse/key combinations.

I've been able to get it close to feeling like a modern shooter control scheme, but the mouse always feels really sluggish. When playing in DOS the best I've found is go with a WASD for movement, and then the arrow keys for turning and shooting.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pumped for some portable classic Doom outside of the GBA

I set up gyro on Doom 2 a few months ago for a LAN party and it was surprisingly intuitive so I'd say yes.
Can? Probably. Is there any need for it though? I don't see how it would improve the game in anyway. The game is desig ed around auto aim and no up down aiming so you don't need precise aiming to play it. Biggest things you need to learn to be able to play it is dodging and thinking fast. That includes needing fast aim (and again the game auto aims so there is no need for precision).
Fair enough. I'd say DOOM 3 is the one that would stand to benefit the most from gyro.

How's the actual gunplay in D3? I don't mind a slower pace than D00M 2016 but I still want the shooting to be decent
Kinda mediocre, tbh. DOOM 3 excels at atmosphere and world building, as well as exploration, more than anything.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be included with Nintendo Switch Online: Nintendo 64 when it launches in September 2021.

Seriously though, I want Doom 64 bad. It was one of my most-played third party N64 games back in the day (not that there was a heck of a lot of competition).

Definitely grabbing Doom and Doom 2 though. I might give Doom 3 another try too, though I remember dropping it pretty fast when I got it for PC.

I absolutely love Doom 3 but it's closer to FEAR than Doom which is why people hate it.

Kinda like if the originals were Army of Darkness, then Doom 3 is more the original Evil Dead. Except in this scenario, Army of Darkness is the greatest movie ever made.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is for sure a surprise multiplatform release, after the Doom eternal multi release

Hopefully you're right, although Xbox One already has the X360 versions of these games running through backwards compatibility. And the descriptions for these don't mention online multiplayer, something you did have on X360. We'll see how these ports are in an hour or two at this point probably.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
Seperately, and not as a package? That's outstanding. Essentially Doom Classic Collection on Switch. Get the hell out of here!

(or into my Switch at least)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Doom 3 but it's closer to FEAR than Doom which is why people hate it.

Kinda like if the originals were Army of Darkness, then Doom 3 is more the original Evil Dead. Except in this scenario, Army of Darkness is the greatest movie ever made.

how is it anything like fear? I love both games but they are so dissimilar. Fear is about bullet time and tactical shooting which are not aspects of doom 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Seperately, and not as a package? That's outstanding. Essentially Doom Classic Collection on Switch. Get the hell out of here!

(or into my Switch at least)
It is probably not even that. Final Doom and the Master Levels don't seem to be included. (I am not sure about No Rest for The Living episode though. I hope it is included because it is an awesome and very well designed episode).

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Oh hell yes!

DOOM 3 ain't great, but it's ok, and I want to see it in handheld mode for sure.

DOOM and DOOM II for sure.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think that's fair. You can't look at these games through the lens of 2019 and decide what they should be.

For 2004, Doom 3 was the right kind of experience. I don't think a Doom 64 style game would have done all that well - it would have been considered dated even if it was awesome. That was already true of Doom 64. I think it's one of the best games on N64 but it was viewed as old and uninteresting when it launched.

That's not what I'm doing though. I've been saying that for as long as I can remember.

DOOM 3 was a colossal disappointment to me, even back when it was fresh. DOOM 64 on the other hand was special when it launched and remains special to this day.