• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I am super disappointed that not only did they get the bpm wrong, but they used the most generic-ass General MIDI patch set that gives the music all the energy and passion of a volunteer church band.

The most iconic version is probably the OPL2 SoundBlaster synth version, and the Roland synth version is just about definitive. Both of which sound better than what we currently have in the rereleases.
Lol. Other than the tempo, it sounds exactly how it did for me when I played it at launch. But then I had a crap PC!

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Lol. Other than the tempo, it sounds exactly how it did for me when I played it at launch. But then I had a crap PC!
Yep, I'm not surprised.

Doom was created back in the early days of digital audio, and especially MIDI-based music quality was largely dependent on what sound hardware you had.

Now that decoding an MP3 is no longer a CPU-intensive task, the need for those high-end sound cards is basically gone and music is a million times more consistent.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I'm not surprised.

Doom was created back in the early days of digital audio, and especially MIDI-based music quality was largely dependent on what sound hardware you had.

Now that decoding an MP3 is no longer a CPU-intensive task, the need for those high-end sound cards is basically gone and music is a million times more consistent.
Yup. In fact, I think the first PC I ever played it on didn't have a sound card, so it was probably silent initially!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You know what's a really cool, underrated thing Doom 3 does? Sometimes they will throw an enemy (or more) at you in a place where you can either tackle them head on and get some damage, or you can retreat to get a better shot. Then if you retreat, a demon will spawn in the place the game knows you're going to try retreating into.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Doom 3 is such a nostalgia trip. I remember when it came out in 2004, I was 15 trying to brute force that shit to run on my PC.
I'm about half way in and it's so good, just as good as I remember back then.

Really nice playing on Switch at night in bed. Game still scares me with some of those behind the back spawns.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I was so annoyed with the Doom port for PS4 constantly nagging me to sign in after waking the console from sleep that I bought it for PC from GOG for £1.65 and installed Crispy Doom and just played that instead.

I've gone from being annoyed with the PS4 port to being annoyed with myself.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You know what's a really cool, underrated thing Doom 3 does? Sometimes they will throw an enemy (or more) at you in a place where you can either tackle them head on and get some damage, or you can retreat to get a better shot. Then if you retreat, a demon will spawn in the place the game knows you're going to try retreating into.

Playing all three games in succession, Doom has so many "Why I oughta" moments.

Somebody needs to make a Doom game from the demon's perspective, where it's all about demons placing guns or keys on conspicuous pedestals and then going and hiding in nearby closets.

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation isn't better than the original, but I'd be lying if I said didn't enjoy it. Love that atmospheric OST and revamped sounds.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I am super disappointed that not only did they get the bpm wrong, but they used the most generic-ass General MIDI patch set that gives the music all the energy and passion of a volunteer church band.

The most iconic version is probably the OPL2 SoundBlaster synth version, and the Roland synth version is just about definitive. Both of which sound better than what we currently have in the rereleases.

You know, why can't developers use a quality midi box when doing these rereleases? If it were through software I could understand but because these engines tend to use .ogg files, are there still rights issues?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Finished DooM3 on Switch. This game was hella long for an FPS. Kept on dragging. Started Ressurection of Evil. Works smooth. I wonder how Lost Levels is. Never played it.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
I´ve never really been a Doom fan. I like the first two, thought they where pretty neat, but hot damn is 3 a mess. (Slowly) walk into a room, lights dim, monster spawns in front, kill it, monster appears behind you, awkwardly (on the Switch) turn around and kill it, rinse and repeat in an incredibly bland looking facility. Of course while flicking your flashlight on and off all the time, as if it makes the game any scarier or tense (it isn´t any of those things to begin with). Couple this with the paperthin, dragged out story that gets the amount of screentime as though it´s an actual interesting story.
The atmosphere is great, the whole game is filled with great premises, but it just never comes together at all.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious of doom 64 , I hope they release it as well. Was there anything in that rumor that circulated?

Was heretic and hexen based on the same engine? Heretic seemed almost like a reskin of doom if I remember correctly. They should port them as well, seems like easy money?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
an incredibly bland looking facility

Oh not this again.

B-B-BUT ENEMIES SPAWN BEHIND YOU LULZ!!

THAT'S BAD CUZ REASONS! THAT'S NOT DOOM EVEN THOUGH EVERY OTHER DOOM GAME DOES THE EXACT SAME THING!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The SNES and 3DO soundtracks own yeah. SNES port was my first exposure to Doom too since my family didn't own a PC yet at the time.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I don't remember when I first heard this, maybe back during the early Napster days, but this is the real soundtrack to Doom in my eyes.

Why can't I play Doom with this music? This is perfection.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
So I've heard that they're intending to patch out the login problem, but is there any intention to touch the music that we've heard of? More than the login, more than the framerate, it's the music that would really bug me and are keeping me from just grabbing Doom and Doom II on the Switch.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember when I first heard this, maybe back during the early Napster days, but this is the real soundtrack to Doom in my eyes.

Why can't I play Doom with this music? This is perfection.
Man, same, these are my favorite way to experience the soundtrack. Faithful enough to the original to not deviate too much, but distinct enough to sound more "enhanced". It's pretty disappointing that they aren't an option, seeing as Bethesda doesn't seem capable to emulate the midi correctly to save their lives lol.
So I've heard that they're intending to patch out the login problem, but is there any intention to touch the music that we've heard of? More than the login, more than the framerate, it's the music that would really bug me and are keeping me from just grabbing Doom and Doom II on the Switch.
They haven't said anything on the matter, but I have a silver of hope that the reason they're taking so long is that they're addressing all the issues and not just the login. It's by far my biggest problem with the ports too.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
It would be great if that turned out! I've never played any of the classic Doom games for any real length of time, and this would be a fun, easy way to do it

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played through the first episode of Doom in one sitting when it hit the Switch, but I'm holding off on playing anymore until they fix the music. I regret buying them in this state, but Doom is one of my favorite games of all time and I didn't wait for reactions before I grabbed them. Really thought they'd be able to not fuck this up. Bethesda is just the worst.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played through the first episode of Doom in one sitting when it hit the Switch, but I'm holding off on playing anymore until they fix the music. I regret buying them in this state, but Doom is one of my favorite games of all time and I didn't wait for reactions before I grabbed them. Really thought they'd be able to not fuck this up. Bethesda is just the worst.
Yeah it's outright disgusting.

It did push me to jump on my GZDoom game though, so I'll give them that.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Alright i beat all of Doom and im on Doom 2. So far it feels easier and i made it past the pit.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I finished doom 2 for the first time. And am 5 levels into the master levels. Theres a lot of game here for 5 dollars.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
They'll never fix the music, even on PS3/Xbox it sounded like that.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Still the best music to me
EDIT: JuicyPlayer You should listen to the 3DO music, E1M1 especially.
Never heard the 3DO soundtrack before, sounds pretty awesome.

Also, finished Doom II last night, it improves on gameplay I think, and the super shotgun is my fave, but the level design is a bit of a step down from the original.

I checked out the Master Levels and not really feeling them, some are just stupid difficult.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard the 3DO soundtrack before, sounds pretty awesome.

Also, finished Doom II last night, it improves on gameplay I think, and the super shotgun is my fave, but the level design is a bit of a step down from the original.

I checked out the Master Levels and not really feeling them, some are just stupid difficult.
Super shotgun is your best friend in Doom II! : D But yeah the level design definitely isn't as good as DOOM, there's a few standout but in general I remember Doom II for the SSG and the new enemies moreso than it's level design.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm almost done with Doom II and now I just wish I could roll right into Heretic and then Hexen.

If anything I have more nostalgia for those titles than Doom actually.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The people criticizing Doom 3 for monster closets and enemies spawning behind you while praising Doom 1 (dunno about 2 yet, been forever since I played it) are just full of it.

Doom 1 has way cheaper things in it than anything in Doom 3. The game throws entire rooms filled with enemies, enemies behind you, etc and it is soooo cheap. There are also walls that activate when you step on them that straight up crush you to death.

How dare any of you criticize Doom 3 for spawning enemies behind you when Doom 1 does the exact same thing but far cheaper.

Doom 1 does this constantly.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 Final Doom was my Doom. The only version I ever owned, played the crap out of it.

But it's also when I realized something must be wrong with me. It's the most atmospheric, scary version of the game, yet here I was, playing with cheats on and laughing like a mad man at the carnage unfolding before my childish eyes.

... Where did I go wrong, mommy?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The people criticizing Doom 3 for monster closets and enemies spawning behind you while praising Doom 1 (dunno about 2 yet, been forever since I played it) are just full of it.

Doom 1 has way cheaper things in it than anything in Doom 3. The game throws entire rooms filled with enemies, enemies behind you, etc and it is soooo cheap. There are also walls that activate when you step on them that straight up crush you to death.

How dare any of you criticize Doom 3 for spawning enemies behind you when Doom 1 does the exact same thing but far cheaper.

It's not monster closets if it's a walk-in closet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished Doom 1 today and loved it and I want to buy another one. Is Doom 2 just more of the same? Should I get that or 3 first?

Oct 25, 2017

Probably because Doom 1 is an arcade-like action game that has actual gun play mechanics that aren't crap. Doom 3 is a game that only survives on it's aesthetics alone.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I finished Doom 1 today and loved it and I want to buy another one. Is Doom 2 just more of the same? Should I get that or 3 first?
Doom II adds a new weapon (Super Shotgun), new item (megasphere) and some new enemy types. I'd say it feels more like an expansion pack than a fully fledged sequel, so if you would like more of what you just played in the original Doom then get it, it's a lot of fun.