• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well yes, I played Doom back when it came out too and pinkies and barons were very scary, but I'd still say calling it a straight up horror game is kind of a stretch.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have time to be scared with that rocking soundtrack. Doom was always tongue and cheek until about the Playstation version and then Doom 64 which I like for different reasons.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's literally the classic HUD face but with 2019 technology
Doom-Eternal-Battle-Mode-Preview.jpg

giphy.gif

Please don't use these cheap internet fakes.

Here's the real screenshot:
doomguisaime8cjcg.jpg

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Still not patched? Just got the plat for Dragon Quest Builders 2 and was hoping to play this next, guess I'll play Crash instead.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I've always seen the PSX version as the greatest Doom of all time, absolutely outstanding.

Nah, wouldn't go that far. It does have a number of the usual console doom problems, like significantly simplified level geometry carried onward from the jaguar version, missing levels, enemies (no cybie, no spiderdemon)... the frame rate is playable but not exactly great as well.

It's a cool curiosity though, because of its ambience and general weirdness.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Nah, wouldn't go that far. It does have a number of the usual console doom problems, like significantly simplified level geometry carried onward from the jaguar version, missing levels, enemies (no cybie, no spiderdemon)... the frame rate is playable but not exactly great as well.

It's a cool curiosity though, because of its ambience and general weirdness.

Nah, easily the greatest ever. Calling it a "curiosity" is doing it a total disservice!

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017

This was the realization of a dream. I remember reading the instruction booklet to DOOM on the SNES and it described how the Marines were screaming on the radio for hours.

Fucking dream come TRUE Doom 3 was.

Unbelievable.

Whoah. It's like I wrote this post. I think about that instruction booklet into all the time, and Doom 3 was my imagination turned into reality.

Oct 28, 2017
Why was Final Doom not a part of this? It's the same wad code as Ultimate and Final Doom. Has there been any reasoning? I bought Doom 1 and 2. I'm at Map 25 in Doom 2 and The Shores of Hell in Ultimate Doom.

Nov 8, 2017
It's a shame that we're probably never going to get a modern remaster with all the enhancements of the PS1 version like the vastly improved music and sound effects, and the coloured sectors. PC version just isn't on the same level.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
They're kind of crap, especially TNT.

Plutonia is fantastic though, once you vibe with its gameplay style. It's Doom distilled down to almost an arcade game. Probably the iwad I would most likely want to replay these days.

TNT has it's share of cool maps as well. Lot of dross too, unfortunately, but hey.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this and hate how you can't remap the controls or modify them at all. The acceleration, deadzones, and feel is just off on Switch. Very disappointed.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
It's a shame that we're probably never going to get a modern remaster with all the enhancements of the PS1 version like the vastly improved music and sound effects, and the coloured sectors. PC version just isn't on the same level.

You're right about the pc version. Its not even a version, thats the game. The original. Thats how it should look and play and sound. PSX "ehancements". lol. They should remaster the missing levels and reduced geometry and changed lighting that was there because the console was too weak, right

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they fix audio and visuals at the same time.
I'm hoping this is the reason it's taking so long. I'm aware certification is a thing, but surely for a publisher like Bethesda it wouldn't take much longer than a week to put out a patch that only gets rid of the login.

All I want is to play Doom on console without botched music, man, come on.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Do any of the doom 3 versions have co op? I loved the co op on original Xbox which was (afaik) at the time the only version to offer it.

Nov 8, 2017
You're right about the pc version. Its not even a version, thats the game. The original. Thats how it should look and play and sound. PSX "ehancements". lol. They should remaster the missing levels and reduced geometry and changed lighting that was there because the console was too weak, right
Eh. The music and sound effects in the PC version are barely better than place-holder assets for the awesome work that would eventually replace them in what became the PS1 version. PC version had some advantages due to hardware limitations of consoles, but aside from that, the PS1 version represents the way DOOM was meant to be as far as I'm concerned.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. The music and sound effects in the PC version are barely better than place-holder assets for the awesome work that would eventually replace them in what became the PS1 version. PC version had some advantages due to hardware limitations of consoles, but aside from that, the PS1 version represents the way DOOM was meant to be as far as I'm concerned.

PS1 Doom is a good alternative put the only real way DOOM was supposed to be is how it is on PC.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Gonna have to ask you to pass me the brand of what you're smoking. It seems to be some hardcore stuff.

Nov 8, 2017
PS1 Doom is a good alternative put the only real way DOOM was supposed to be is how it is on PC.
Gonna have to ask you to pass me the brand of what you're smoking. It seems to be some hardcore stuff.
You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. If you think that unfitting bad soft rock MIDI is better than a proper atmospheric soundtrack that actually fits the horror and story of the situation, and that stock asset sound effects are better than remastered ones with added effects, then that's fine by me, because that's just your opinion.

Also, my guess is that the PC version is how it is because the developers didn't have or weren't willing to put in the budget to make it better like the PS1 version until the game became a huge success, by which point it was already a done thing on PC. I honestly think most people who prefer the PC version only do so because it's the first one they played, and thus they have nostalgia for it.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. If you think that unfitting bad soft rock MIDI is better than a proper atmospheric soundtrack that actually fits the horror and story of the situation, and that stock asset sound effects are better than remastered ones with added effects, then that's fine by me, because that's just your opinion.

Also, my guess is that the PC version is how it is because the developers didn't have or weren't willing to put in the budget to make it better like the PS1 version until the game became a huge success, by which point it was already a done thing on PC. I honestly think most people who prefer the PC version only do so because it's the first one they played, and thus they have nostalgia for it.

The music is iconic and amazing in the PC version. Far better than the PSX game.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Playing through Doom II now, haven't played past the first few levels in ages. It's interesting to see them try and create cities with the limited tech on hand, it also throws so many enemies at you now, which can be a fun challenge, although frustrating at times. I still quite like it, but it can get quite tedious trying to figure out where to go because of the level design. I was on level 13 Downtown for quite a while, ended up having to look up where to go, never had to do that on the original.

Feb 10, 2018
Is doom trilogy out on switch Web shop? I cant seem to find it.

Edit - found on Nintendo.co.uk but not the m.store.nintendo.co.uk, weird.

Last edited:

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018

This guy knows what's up. The PSX version was the Doom they always wanted to make but couldn't at the time.