• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't think there was an original. Take a look at the rocket blast marks on the wall behind the cyberdemon. No official version of Doom had anything like that - the screenshot was taken with a modern source port like ZDoom.
Daaaaaamn! I pride myself on my attention to detail, but somehow in all these years I never noticed that! I mean I noticed them, but for some reason my brain never said "you know, something is off about that screenshot". I guess maybe I figured it was a beta version feature that was removed? Because I damn well knew they didn't exist in the original.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, dont mention the new enemies in Doom 2 at all but you probably have some reason to hate them too.

And? I don't think the addition of a few new enemies makes the game distinctly better. You keep gasping at straws when you fully know that I dislike Doom 2 because of it's enemy placement and level designs. How about you just accept I don't like the game?

The Pain Elemental and 'Chaingun Dude' (I don't know their true name) are fine additions but they don't make the game any better for it. The game barely uses Pain Elemental enemies anyway, they often still just use Cacodemons, so the idea that these new enemies give the game more enemy variety isn't true in practice most of the time. The other enemies are all dumbed down versions of enemies from Doom 1 (less health, etc., such as the Barons of Hell) and so they don't stand out to me, but again, they're not bad.

But, at the end of the day, new enemies don't outweight bad map design and enemy placement, in my view. But you keep doing you, I suppose. Rather than engage, just say I hate the game and hit 'Post', that'll work.

There is this mechanic called "monster infighting" in Doom. You are not supposed to fight every enemy by yourself.

Thank you for being so condescending about it. 90% of the time, the infighting doesn't make much of a difference, especially if it's a miniboss vs. a normal enemy (like an Imp). Only a few instances I can recall it actually was useful (such as that room with the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, or the entirety of Map 8).

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
DOOM 3 looks great somehow on the switch screen. Obviously some textures are bad, but the atmosphere and lighting blow my mind with this game on the Switch.

Makes me wonder what a dev could do making a tight corridor shooter on the switch. I guess I'm super curious what the next Metroid Prime will look like. Hell, port over the Trilogy.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
And? I don't think the addition of a few new enemies makes the game distinctly better. You keep gasping at straws when you fully know that I dislike Doom 2 because of it's enemy placement and level designs. How about you just accept I don't like the game?

The Pain Elemental and 'Chaingun Dude' (I don't know their true name) are fine additions but they don't make the game any better for it. The game barely uses Pain Elemental enemies anyway, they often still just use Cacodemons, so the idea that these new enemies give the game more enemy variety isn't true in practice most of the time. The other enemies are all dumbed down versions of enemies from Doom 1 (less health, etc., such as the Barons of Hell) and so they don't stand out to me, but again, they're not bad.
Don't forget the Mancubus. Arch-Vile, Revenant and Arachnotron.
Thank you for being so condescending about it. 90% of the time, the infighting doesn't make much of a difference, especially if it's a miniboss vs. a normal enemy (like an Imp). Only a few instances I can recall it actually was useful (such as that room with the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, or the entirety of Map 8).
Infighting can be useful in a variety of ways. Weaker enemies can soften up stronger ones. Stronger enemies can destroy scores of weaker ones to save the player the effort of doing so. More open levels make infighting so much fun.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yesssssssssssss :D

Congrats! You're now the proud owner of an EXCELLENT videogame!

Enjooooooooy. Play with headphones. Play it loud. Soak in all the sound and atmosphere. Take your time.
I did all of these things, played for about one hour I think (back on my way from the incident) and this game is really much more interesting than I thought it would be. Love the logs and story bits so far, reminds me way more of Doom '16 than I thought it would be lol. The atmosphere seems great, sound is fantastic and the graphics still hold up, sometimes the lighting is actually really impressive. Also, all around 60fps on Switch is still a rare sight lol.

Can't deal with the sensitivity so far, I'll have to look into that. Also didn'T really notice a huge difference with flashlight shadows on.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I did all of these things, played for about one hour I think (back on my way from the incident) and this game is really much more interesting than I thought it would be. Love the logs and story bits so far, reminds me way more of Doom '16 than I thought it would be lol. The atmosphere seems great, sound is fantastic and the graphics still hold up, sometimes the lighting is actually really impressive. Also, all around 60fps on Switch is still a rare sight lol.

Can't deal with the sensitivity so far, I'll have to look into that. Also didn'T really notice a huge difference with flashlight shadows on.

Glad to hear it!

This game deserves way, way more love. It was critically acclaimed when it came out but then the public said it was disappointing? I know this game has a lot of fans but it still seems to be a rather large portion of people said it was bad. And how Doom 2016 "got it right", implying this game did something wrong.

Blew my mind how anyone could be disappointed by something crafted with so much love and attention to detail.

ID went all out with this game and it shows.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
For whatever reason I still have a decent amount of nostalgia for Doom 3 but after playing a hour my feelings from 2004 just flood back to me. How this game was 3 years after Halo: CE and 3 months before Half-Life 2 is just baffling. Easily in the discussion for most disappointing games ever.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I don't know how you fuck up the shotgun in a Doom game but 3 managed to do it

I'm hating it less than the last time I played it this go round, but it's probably because I'm not playing it with any expectation that it resembles a Doom game

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
For whatever reason I still have a decent amount of nostalgia for Doom 3 but after playing a hour my feelings from 2004 just flood back to me. How this game was 3 years after Halo: CE and 3 months before Half-Life 2 is just baffling. Easily in the discussion for most disappointing games ever.

It's (probably) better than both. HL2 is mad overrated, and don't even get me started on Halo being overrated lol.
And I say this as an HL2 fan.

If you said Half-Life 1 I mighta agreed with you. HL1 is way better than 2.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
don't even get me started on Halo being overrated lol.
uduAMnG.gif

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear it!

This game deserves way, way more love. It was critically acclaimed when it came out but then the public said it was disappointing? I know this game has a lot of fans but it still seems to be a rather large portion of people said it was bad. And how Doom 2016 "got it right", implying this game did something wrong.

Blew my mind how anyone could be disappointed by something crafted with so much love and attention to detail.

I'm in your camp. Playing through this now on X I love it even more than I did back at release on OG XBox.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because back when Doom 3 released, the linear, story-focused gameplay was really off-putting to fans of the first two games - and understandably so, it's just really a different type of game all together. People playing it for the first time now, though, are probably baffled because it IS a pretty good game, and that type of single-player campaign is pretty much the standard now. The game was ahead of its time, really.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, couldn't resist and after beating Doom again I decided to buy Doom 3. This has been the first time I've played it since I built a computer for it back in 2004. I honestly only remember two moments so this should be an interesting replay. I remember having a lot of fun with it.

However, I got the shotgun and I HATE IT. Why does it fire so slow and do next to no damage? How can a Doom game screw up the shotgun? After powering thru Doom 1 it's pretty easy to understand why fans of the first two kinda disparaged this one (and why I was so lukewarm on it). It's slow, weapons seem weak, and it's much more interested in jump scares than gunplay. I know it picks up, I just can't remember when. At least I just got the Assault Rife and this thing finally seems to do something.

Glad to hear it!

The deal with that is that Doom 3 is rather spectacular on it's own merits. The graphics were crazy good, the atmosphere was second to none, it succeeded it being VERY creepy, and it nailed the lighting effects. The problem was.... it wasn't really a Doom game. It's a slow, moody, scary, self-serious shooter that's more interested in freaking you out than straight combat. The most obvious example was the Flashlight and forcing people to choose between having it out or shooting your gun. What Doom 2016 "fixed" was bringing back the running like hell "combat puzzle" and goofy tone that Doom and Doom 2 had. Doom 3 is a hell of a game that everyone really should play, but if you go into it expecting more Doom (or Doom 2) it's pretty disappointing.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The deal with that is that Doom 3 is rather spectacular on it's own merits. The graphics were crazy good, the atmosphere was second to none, it succeeded it being VERY creepy, and it nailed the lighting effects. The problem was.... it wasn't really a Doom game. It's a slow, moody, scary, self-serious shooter that's more interested in freaking you out than straight combat. The most obvious example was the Flashlight and forcing people to choose between having it out or shooting your gun. What Doom 2016 "fixed" was bringing back the running like hell "combat puzzle" and goofy tone that Doom and Doom 2 had. Doom 3 is a hell of a game that everyone really should play, but if you go into it expecting more Doom (or Doom 2) it's pretty disappointing.

This is the only take that makes any sense.

But people aren't saying that. Some people are saying it's just a bad game.

And if it's bad Doom game then RE4 is a bad RE game, and that is a much better argument considering it was much more of a full departure than Doom 3 was.

Like I said, Doom 3 still retained numerous aspects of Doom.

I mean, sure looks like Doom to me.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I totally agree with the take that Doom 3 is an excellent game in of itself, just not a great "Doom" title.

Speaking of great Doom titles, I'm nearly done with the original Doom, and it never fails to catch me out how TOUGH the first two maps of Thy Flesh Consumed are. Like seriously, Perfect Hatred is something else.

Nov 8, 2017
Doom 3 is not that far from being a really good game but it's too repetitive and the combat areas are too small for how fast you can move and how the enemies target you. The mechanics suggest a fast paced run and gun but the levels are cramped, poorly illuminated (less of an issue in bfg), and encourage you to slow down in other ways too (little ambushes, puzzles, pdas, etc). It often feels like the game is at war with itself, design wise.

It took me until this year to beat Doom 3 for the first time. Half Life 2, FEAR, RE4 I all games I plowed through multiple times but Doom 3 runs out of tricks fast. Somewhere around 3 hours it kind of runs out of gas (this is where I stopped in previous play throughs) and it's not until maybe Hell it gets interesting again.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
No. It's a photoshopped image made to look like it's from GamePro.
I could have sworn it was real like I'd seen it before.

Is there an original? What did it originally say?
I noticed EuroGamer did an article on it and the guy who made it left a comment explaining what really happened. Funny how there's a lot of misinformation going around about it.

Hi, this article is about me. For posterity, the fake protip was created on March 7, 2004, and originally posted in this post here. It was not an "April Fools prank", and it wasn't even a "prank" per se - I made a couple of what I thought were obviously fake protip images and posted them in a thread for people to have a sensible chuckle at. I didn't think anything more of them, until a couple of months or years later when I started seeing the Cyberdemon one spreading around the internet and turning into what we nowadays would call a meme (although no one called it that back then). At that point, there was no way to put the genie back in the bottle. So that's basically the whole story. If Mr Matulef had tried to contact me, I could have explained the whole backstory to him personally.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
the combat areas are too small for how fast you can move and how the enemies target you. The mechanics suggest a fast paced run and gun but the levels are cramped, poorly illuminated

There's almost always cover/space for you to use. It's not that hard to goad enemies into attacking you, dodging that attack, and punishing them with a close range shotty blast or peeking from cover with the rifle.

I came up with a few examples just playing the last 15 mins.
You pretty much always have a chance of evading attacks or killing enemies before they can hit you.

And this is on the harder difficulty where enemies take more hits. AND it would be even easier with a mouse.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having just played through (most of) the original Doom again, I'm reminded of all the ways it plays with lighting, jump scares, sound, etc.

From what I recall, Doom 3 leans heavily into these under-appreciated aspects, so I couldn't get behind the whole "good game; not a good Doom" take back in the day. It is very much Doom, it's just coming at the property a little laterally and putting much more of an emphasis on the spookier bits.

I'll see if it holds up once I finished OG and II.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Hard to pick between DOOM 3 OGPS4 version (I guess locked 60fps? also trophies) and Switch version (being on switch... but performance is real scary tho)

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It almost feels like the sector-based lighting in the maps was lost in the porting of Doom 1 and 2. That's the big thing that makes the games look significantly worse to me. All the nuance and contrast that set the mood is just gone.

It's like the Silent Hill ports that just got rid of the fog.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only take that makes any sense.

But people aren't saying that. Some people are saying it's just a bad game.

And if it's bad Doom game then RE4 is a bad RE game, and that is a much better argument considering it was much more of a full departure than Doom 3 was.

Like I said, Doom 3 still retained numerous aspects of Doom.

I mean, sure looks like Doom to me.

That's the thing, Resident Evil 4 is easily one of the best games ever made and it IS a bad Resident Evil game. The similar argument there is that, to fans of RE1-3, RE4 was so mega popular it "ruined" the franchise until RE7 came along. While it shares much of the same DNA it absolutely plays and feels differently. While Doom 3 has a lot of trappings of Doom (as you showed in your Twitter videos) it just doesn't feel right compared to the first two. The disconnect here may be the word "bad". "Bad Doom" doesn't mean a bad game. In my mind I rationalize it as the difference between the movies Alien and Aliens. They are two of my favorite movies of all time, but Aliens is a poor sequel to Alien and hits a completely different tone (I will always love Bill Paxton screaming "GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!")

As for people saying it's a bad game, I feel like that's just whatever the opposite of "rose colored glasses" is (seeing thru half empty glasses?). It's Doom 3 being overshadowed by other FPS games that came out around the same time and blew people away. For me, that was F.E.A.R. I have very fond memories of F.E.A.R and can remember several parts of that game but can almost remember nothing of Doom 3. Well, except that I spent a hell of a lot of money I didn't really have building an awesome PC that could play it on the best settings. Man, that was a fun time :)

All that being said, can't wait to keep playing Doom 3. Gonna knock some out on my lunch break today. I really want to make it to Hell and see that again. Also, can't wait to try the DLC I never played.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
DOOM 3 was so ahead of its time in terms of presentation. The way it plays with lighting after shit hits the fan reminds me a lot of Dead Space.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I revisited GZdoom last night on PC and it highlighted what a fucking shambles these Doom 1/2 ports are.

GZdoom runs at a silky smooth 60fps (or even 120fps), native 4K with proper 16:9 support, vertical look controls, and a plethora of graphics, HUD and gameplay options. Why is it Bethesda can't do as good a job with Doom 1/2 as a small open source project?

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's two ways to view the original Doom, and Doom 3 and Doom 2016 just took the different views.

Doom 1 does have aspects of horror to it. It used to scare the crap out of me when I was younger. But at the same time, it's very much a fast action game.

I think these days when I play Doom it's mostly muscle memory, so it's 100% a goofy action game with fun rock music, which makes it line up more with 2016 Doom to me.

20 years ago I probably would have felt the horror of Doom 3 lined up more with my experiences.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
They're all scripted, but I forgot how many destruction events were worked into the level design.
SpotlessSeparateKestrel.gif

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

I'm hating it less than the last time I played it this go round, but it's probably because I'm not playing it with any expectation that it resembles a Doom game
They had to drop the trent reznor sounds, the shotgun feels weak because of that, the alpha soundpack is one of the best mods because of this.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
There's almost always cover/space for you to use. It's not that hard to goad enemies into attacking you, dodging that attack, and punishing them with a close range shotty blast or peeking from cover with the rifle.

I came up with a few examples just playing the last 15 mins.
You pretty much always have a chance of evading attacks or killing enemies before they can hit you.

And this is on the harder difficulty where enemies take more hits. AND it would be even easier with a mouse.

I beat the game last night on XB1X. Yeah, it's still fantastic, and even better than I remember considering I can play in 4K at 60fps on a tv that has excellent black levels. You know it was just released because every achievement was super rare, one even being .5% of gamers, lol.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I'm playing through the Xbox 360 version now (kinda close to getting the new version of 3) and while I'm generally having a better time than I expected, one thing that's stuck out to me is how much the shotgun sucks in this game.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Almost finished up Episode IV of Doom last night and maybe it's because it's what I've played the most recently, but I can't help but feel like I've enjoyed it the most of the bunch. Maps seem less labyrinthine, more interesting and just better designed in general. There's a few bullshit moments where you're faced with almost insurmountable odds, but overall it's a good time.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Doom 3, yay or nay?

I am on PS4 Pro (so it'll be native 4K according to DF), and i have never played Doom 3...

I loved Doom 2016 by the way

Last edited:

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Doom 3 is as Doom as Doom 2016, it's just focus on different aspects of the original franchise (like the original Doom).
If you have played Doom 1 (especially) and 2 when it was released, the game always had that "survival horror" vibe, with dark environments, lots of gory and hellish landscapes. It did scary me when I was 5 lol

The survival horror atmosphere was reinforced when Final Doom got released on PSX and also with Doom 64 on N64, with new sound effects and soundtrack (much more atmospheric, although I enjoy much more the originals). Doom 3 was just a natural evolution of the previous games/re-releases.

Of course, nowdays no one gets scared of pixelated monsters, and the classic games grew into a different beast, focusing much more on action instead of spook-stuff/atmospheric or IWAD-based content. The community created Brutal Doom among with other mods which is a more "modern take" and is full focused on action/more violence, which was certainly one of the main inspirations of Doom 2016. (I don't like any mod except PWADs, though lol)

Oct 25, 2017
This is me after an hour of playing Doom 3 again last night.Weak map design where I'm constantly walking in circles due to the samey environments and lack of clear direction of where to go. The weapons are just as weak as I remembered. The BFG version changes to make it more like an action shooter reveals how weak the actual gameplay is without the survival horror elements incorporated.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm jelly. Especially the black levels part. I'm obsessed with good black levels.

Nothing worse than green or white looking blacks.

Which TV do you have?

Sony 900E. It's fantastic. OLED isn't for me, considering I have young kids and the tv can be left on channels with logos and such for long periods of time. It drove me bonkers with Plasma for years, even though I loved my Kuro and Panny ST50. You should look into the TCL 6 Series. I hear they have excellent picture for the price.