• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Oh yeah I couldn't play Doom 1 at work today even though I already did the sign in thing when I first got the game.

I thought it was supposed to be a one and done thing?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3 has the same content, the only difference is the higher resolution.
Doom 1 is the same.
Doom 2 no longer has the No Rest for the Living episode, it has the Master Levels instead.

The trophies/achievements for Doom 1 and 2 are also completely different from the challenges in the BFG edition.
What resolution is each game at? BFG on ps3 was very poor on the technical side so I'm hoping for an upgrade here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Also I geek out every time about the visuals and color palette as the game advances. Really channels early Doom super hard. I always get a craving to replay Doom 64 after playing Doom 3. They share a lot of DNA.

Likewise. This game is a dream come true for an atmosphere whore like me.

Correctomundo.

Indeed the brightness settings only affects the brightness of actual lighting. Shadows stay inky regardless of how that's set

Ah, I was wondering about that. Isn't the flashlight just brighter in BFG as well?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Indeed the brightness settings only affects the brightness of actual lighting. Shadows stay inky regardless of how that's set.

So following up on my previous post, I can confirm from my own experience now that these suggestions are roughly accurate.
I compared between OG Doom 3, PC BFG, and Switch (BFG).

To make your visual experience closer to the original release:
Set your FOV to 100 (max).
Set your brightness to zero (all the way left).

Comparison

Vanilla Doom 3:
(different aspect ratio)
crJAe96.jpg

BFG default
j8hSeuf.jpg

BFG adjusted 100FOV/0Brightness:
JqORtOk.jpg

Switch Handheld adjusted 100FOV/0Brightness:
PhDlsKb.jpg
Nice work. I've been playing it with the FOV at 100 and it's much better, the default 80 feels like I've got my face pressed up against the screen.
On home consoles too? It's not on PSN yet. If Doom 3 is not Native 4k 60 FPS on PS4 Pro then it's not worth it. I hope it's the BFG Edition too.
It's been a consistent 60fps for me so far on the Pro, can't say if it's 4K or not, but it looks like it's above 1080p. I'd be shocked if it isn't, looks very clean and sharp.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
im quite surprised to see DOOM3 get a bunch of attention like this

while not as good as its predecessors i still appreciate what it tried to do

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I was just hopping back and forth between the XBLA release of Doom and the Xbox One version and these new releases of Doom and Doom 2 are broken. They are literally like playing the game with the lights on. This along with the busted sound which I'm not talking about the music issues but put on a pair of headphones and you will understand what I'm talking about make these ports utterly broken. There are just too many better ways to play Doom and Doom 2 over these garbage ports. Don't waste your money on these unless you have to have this game on the Switch. I feel like they ran into issues using Unity for the port.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Nice work. I've been playing it with the FOV at 100 and it's much better, the default 80 feels like I've got my face pressed up against the screen.
It's been a consistent 60fps for me so far on the Pro, can't say if it's 4K or not, but it looks like it's above 1080p. I'd be shocked if it isn't, looks very clean and sharp.

Good news. It was released for few days and I didn't spot until I saw this thread. I really hope all 3 games are native 4K.

Nov 6, 2017
doesn't have to be in one go [...] Can probably be done in co-op too.
Thanks. It's exactly it. The game records all this and you can play & match however you want.
It's only missing some sort of overview for the individual level times. Got the speedrun achievement yesterday in coop.

Now only episode 2 & 3 on nightmare are left. Sadly nightmare coop is not that great. UV solo would be a better & fun challenge.

Never played Doom 3, is it worth checking out?
It's a good game, it has a lot of content and the price is not bad.
If you like the setting / gameplay (watch a yt video for 1-2 minutes) you should buy / play it.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Indeed the brightness settings only affects the brightness of actual lighting. Shadows stay inky regardless of how that's set.

So following up on my previous post, I can confirm from my own experience now that these suggestions are roughly accurate.
I compared between OG Doom 3, PC BFG, and Switch (BFG).

To make your visual experience closer to the original release:
Set your FOV to 100 (max).
Set your brightness to zero (all the way left).

Comparison

Vanilla Doom 3:
(different aspect ratio)
crJAe96.jpg

BFG default
j8hSeuf.jpg

BFG adjusted 100FOV/0Brightness:
JqORtOk.jpg

Switch Handheld adjusted 100FOV/0Brightness:
PhDlsKb.jpg
Damn, thank you!

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I remember Doom 3 being more focused on horror than the action of Doom 1 & 2, right?
I'm really tempted to get it on Switch. Like, almost definitely going to get it.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm baffled that this is such an issue. I've played Doom offline in the garden outside, why is everyone having trouble with this. :/

It's really not baffling -- people don't want to fuss about going in and out of airplane mode just to accommodate a really shitty bug in one game. It's cool that you don't find it a hassle, but it's much more baffling that the bug made it to release.

Seraphic

Oct 29, 2017
Doom 3 has the same content, the only difference is the higher resolution.
Doom 1 is the same.
Doom 2 no longer has the No Rest for the Living episode, it has the Master Levels instead.

The trophies/achievements for Doom 1 and 2 are also completely different from the challenges in the BFG edition.

I see. Thank for breakdown.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's really not baffling -- people don't want to fuss about going in and out of airplane mode just to accommodate a really shitty bug in one game. It's cool that you don't find it a hassle, but it's much more baffling that the bug made it to release.
There's no hassle even. You don't even need airplane mode. I did that just to test it. I explained that before. You just press B or cancel on whatever screen pops up and then you start playing and that's the end of it. I've never had any other screen bother me afterwards. Just "okay, no, no, cancel, bla go away screen" and done.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I know it's cliche, but Doom 1 and Doom 2 really are "perfect for Switch." I find myself impulsively picking up the Switch to try and knock out another mission. Also, I really like running with ZL, and playing this portable with rumble is a joy.

Also, god-tier icons.
It will truly be "perfect for Switch" when I can suspend the game in handheld mode and have it not freeze!

Really though, I hope they fix this ASAP. I'll be done with OG Doom soon enough, but if they can fix it before I get to Doom 2 that would be great.

$5 per game, and then $10 for Doom 3, is essentially $20 for a "complete" Doom package. Not bad; 2016 was my first game in the series and it's been fun to go back and play the original titles to see the series' roots. The excellent level design paired with shocking and fast-paced violence make it so easy to realize why the game was so popular back in its heyday!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Well yes, we're assuming you're not on an island right now and have at least once logged into your account. I'm not saying you don't need an account, I'm saying you don't need be connected/logged into it to play.
I'm still having the problem someone mentioned before where;

• I'm connected to Wi-Fi
  • My Switch has been in sleep mode
  • I get the "Disconnected from Bethesda.net" message every 10 seconds or so and it won't stop going awya
  • I can only make it go away by closing & reopening the game
Pretty bad it's been out 4 days already and we've got no patch. Really disgusting actually.

May 18, 2018
It will truly be "perfect for Switch" when I can suspend the game in handheld mode and have it not freeze!

Really though, I hope they fix this ASAP. I'll be done with OG Doom soon enough, but if they can fix it before I get to Doom 2 that would be great.

$5 per game, and then $10 for Doom 3, is essentially $20 for a "complete" Doom package. Not bad; 2016 was my first game in the series and it's been fun to go back and play the original titles to see the series' roots. The excellent level design paired with shocking and fast-paced violence make it so easy to realize why the game was so popular back in its heyday!

It doesn't include Final Doom though and imo, that is the best!

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so Doom 3 might be my number one single player FPS out there. I've now beaten RoE too and currently on level 3 of Lost Mission. The atmosphere and sound is delicious. Level design is perfect, its not too linear but not too bloated either. You get lost sometimes, but never for too long. The enemy spawns I kind of hated when the game launched first, but its just classic Doom. They can spawn everywhere and you have the tools to quickly strafe and shoot around. Never stand still I guess.

Its just very, very solid. It says enough that I am gonna beat this content back to back.

The reason I pick this above 2016 is not only because RoE and LM are also very good (too bad that 2016 only got MP DLC, like wtf), but its because it has decidedly better atmosphere and perhaps controversial but I prefer the enemy designs of 3. Doom 2016 kind of funnels you to closed off arenas where enemies spawn from weak to very strong and where you can go crazy until they're all dead and you'll advance. This did get about tiresome for me some 75% in.

Doom 3 never becomes too hectic but enemies can gang up on you every second, it gradually increases the pacing and demon tiers but it never becomes exhausting.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aw, shit, I just realized the PDA has different tabs for email, video and such. I probably missed out on opening a ton of safeboxes.

I'm seriously tempted to just restart. I only have 2 hours on my savefile (probably a bit more due to dying/reloading and load times.) Decisons, decisions...

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Fucking do it. DO IT NOW!

Woah, I didn't remember BFG toning down the jumpscares that much.

In Vanilla DooM3 the structure where the armour and shotgun are lying lowers in a split second taking you offguard completely if you didn't expect it. In BFG it kinda lowers slowly like a lift and that's it.

I remember being caught completely offguard, and disoriented plus surronded by zombies. Freakin' Doom3

Another unfortunate change in this release, the removal of the Nine Inch Nails easter egg:

941.gif

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

In Vanilla DooM3 the structure where the armour and shotgun are lying lowers in a split second taking you offguard completely if you didn't expect it. In BFG it kinda lowers slowly like a lift and that's it.

I remember being caught completely offguard, and disoriented plus surronded by zombies. Freakin' Doom3

941.gif

Maybe you just remember wrong? Doesn't seem all that different to me. And I was definitely expecting it :p

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fucking shame DOOM 2016 didn't continue where DOOM 3 left. DOOM 3 is a grounded scary horror game with some realism to it (reloading weapons for example), just like DOOM should be. DOOM 2016 is an arcadey not to be taken serious jump around fest with silly and lame game mechanics (gore nests, platforming, no reloading, not scary). It's more Serious Sam/Duke Nukem than it is DOOM. I'm affraid Eternal will continue this downward spiral.
I don't understand, I thought DOOM 3 itself represented a bit of a departure from DOOM's original style. I knew some DOOM fans of that era IRL and they definately felt that way (not that they minded much considering they were really in it to play the best looking, most advanced video game of the day)

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I don't understand, I thought DOOM 3 itself represented a bit of a departure from DOOM's original style. I knew some DOOM fans of that era IRL and they definately felt that way (not that they minded much considering they were really in it to play the best looking, most advanced video game of the day)

It did represent a departure as in it wasnt a 1:1 copy of the old games. But the doom spirit was there regardless. It was an enriched experience, with cues takes from games that came out between Doom 2 and 3, like Half Life, which is the main influence for Doom 3, System Shock 2 and the Hell level is inspired by a specific level in Undying.

Doom 16, i dislike and i have trouble understanding the amount of people liking it. I mean, there have been similar games in the past and i always felt like i was one of the few who apreciated them, because most would dismiss them - Serious Sam, Painkiller. They were a specific type of fps and a lot of people claimed just shooting around is boring. I was absolutely sure Doom 16 would get the same reception, but somehow it didnt. Im baffled actually. I dont think Doom 16 is a return to form at all, its a hack thats mostly like Serious Sam or Painkiller and nothing like the structure of Doom 1 and 2 other than shooting demons

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Maybe you just remember wrong? Doesn't seem all that different to me. And I was definitely expecting it :p

I have just watched a playthrought at that exact moment to make sure... and you're right!

Man, my memory of this game is very sketchy. It's been a long time and perhaps I was so tense and frightened playing it back then that my mind built an image of the game that is way more exaggerated than what i actually played lol

It did represent a departure as in it wasnt a 1:1 copy of the old games. But the doom spirit was there regardless. It was an enriched experience, with cues takes from games that came out between Doom 2 and 3, like Half Life, which is the main influence for Doom 3, System Shock 2 and the Hell level is inspired by a specific level in Undying.

Doom 16, i dislike and i have trouble understanding the amount of people liking it. I mean, there have been similar games in the past and i always felt like i was one of the few who apreciated them, because most would dismiss them - Serious Sam, Painkiller. They were a specific type of fps and a lot of people claimed just shooting around is boring. I was absolutely sure Doom 16 would get the same reception, but somehow it didnt. Im baffled actually. I dont think Doom 16 is a return to form at all, its a hack thats mostly like Serious Sam or Painkiller and nothing like the structure of Doom 1 and 2 other than shooting demons

The arenas in DOOM16 were supposedly necessarily built around the size of the levels and console limitations. Nevertheless some parts of the maps had enemies roaming like in classic Doom, but I still don't get why DOOM16 gets so much flack over its arenas when most of the encounters in DOOM3 are Imps and other enemies spawning out of thin air, with a limited amount of enemies roaming the maps (as in DOOM3).

Compared to DOOM3, DOOM16 nailed some core mechanics that played a big role in the Classic Doom;

- Very fast movement and player movility (DOOM3 is too slow, even BFG with its faster speed pales in comparison to the player speed in DOOM2016)

- Verticality in level design
- Much bigger maps and less reliability in tight corridors
- very tight and rewarding controls
- Excellent gunplay. The shotgun in DOOM3 is very lacking whereas the shotgun in DOOM16 is a very versatile weapon. You need to be very upclose to the enemy in DOOM3 in order to maximize damage output making it a very risky weapon to use.
- The player does not have its field of vision all jungled when hit. It's a very frustrating feature that ruins the combat for me in DOOM3 when your screen begins moving everywhere when the enemy hits you, making your cursor to lose its target

I appreciate DOOM3 for what it is, but DOOM16 is, in my humble opinion, a great sequel which deserves the amount of praise it got

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
DOOM 3 answered the question of what DOOM as a "modern shooter" would be like. DOOM 16 came to the conclusion players just want to run around and shoot shit

IMO the latter is more in line with what the first two games were about but i wouldn't begrudge anybody for thinking it should've gone the other way. neither are particularly a 1:1 transition

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

I have just watched a playthrought at that exact moment to make sure... and you're right!

Man, my memory of this game is very sketchy. It's been a long time and perhaps I was so tense and frightened playing it back then that my mind built an image of the game that is way more exaggerated than what i actually played lol

What if everyone were right? :)

You were seemingly thinking of a different shotgun (earlier, secret) pick-up with the same basic setup.

As a bonus, we all now get to watch a GameXplain video from over 10 years ago XD

Oct 27, 2017
Bought Doom 3 last night on PS4 - it's great, as good as I remember it being back in 2004, with the same irritations;

- Graphics look great for a 15 year old game. The lighting remains spectacular, it's dark and incredibly atmospheric and still manages to put the frighteners on me.

- Shoulder mounted light is probably better than the "switch to the torch' mechanic, but I rather liked having to decide on light or gun.

- Shotgun still sounds crap and takes too long to reload.

- It's still annoying getting hit and the camera lurching throwing off your aim.

- I'd forgotten how little enemies react to being shot, it feels a little weightless.

- You seem to be able to move faster now, sprinting around the levels is fun.

- Runs really well on PS4, feels really slick.

- Fucking monster closets everywhere.

One bizarre thing, the torch shadows were disabled by default in my settings. Doesn't appear to be any performance hit from having them on and they're a big part of what makes the game look so pretty so obviously make sure they're enabled.

So yeah, fun game, just as awesome as it was 15 years ago.

Jun 18, 2018
Would someone with Doom 3 on the Switch be able to do me a favour please?

I'd like to know if there's a controls option, usually referred to as 'Southpaw' that allows me to look with the left analogue stick and move with the right stick. I'm a lefty and that's how I play all shooters with joypads.

Also, what's the res and framerate like for Doom 3 on the PS4Pro and Switch?

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
The arenas in DOOM16 were supposedly necessarily built around the size of the levels and console limitations. Nevertheless some parts of the maps had enemies roaming like in classic Doom, but I still don't get why DOOM16 gets so much flack over its arenas when most of the encounters in DOOM3 are Imps and other enemies spawning out of thin air, with a limited amount of enemies roaming the maps (as in DOOM3).

Compared to DOOM3, DOOM16 nailed some core mechanics that played a big role in the Classic Doom;

- Very fast movement and player movility (DOOM3 is too slow, even BFG with its faster speed pales in comparison to the player speed in DOOM2016)

I suspect most of Doom 16's design is as it is in order to work around the limited abilities of gamepads. The game doesnt have very fast movement, its as fast as Doom 3 sprint or a bit slower and is as fast as Half Life 1 speed is. And much, much lower than Doom or any other classic fps. Reality is you cant do this shit on gamepads, cause it doesnt work. Its faster than regular games, but its nothing crazy.

The arenas get flack because they're shit. Complete opposite of Doom's gameplay. The game is just damn boring. You go a bit, the area gets closed off and the weak enemy apears, then the slightly stronger one then the big guys and the area opens. Its a one trick pony that repeats its loop until the game's over. The movement and air control and ledge mantling are so fucking automated and magnetized for controllers they take every skill out of them.

I just literally dont see how this game is liked. Maybe these exact automations? People play, the game does 80% of the job behind the scenes and the player feels good? I dont know

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
One bizarre thing, the torch shadows were disabled by default in my settings. Doesn't appear to be any performance hit from having them on and they're a big part of what makes the game look so pretty so obviously make sure they're enabled.
Yeah it is odd that it's disabled by default, considering that the BFG edition removed the dynamic lighting of the torch and now just adds a slight thick black border around character/enemy models and objects when you shine light on them, so it's hardly anything widely technical.

Also, something interesting I noticed is that your character model is casting dynamic shadows which you will notice if you look in a mirror, but they've just disabled them when viewed through the first-person camera.

It would have been nice if they could have added some of the missing features of the original version back in, considering that current consoles are far ahead of the Xbox 360 and PS3 on a technical level.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I just literally dont see how this game is liked. Maybe these exact automations? People play, the game does 80% of the job behind the scenes and the player feels good? I dont know

the glory kill "you're totally fucked" to rising phoenix within less than a second is what makes it shine. regardless of whether it's a good or bad doom game it was IMO ingenious