• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It does eventually unfreeze after sleep if you wait a bit. It could be attempting to reconnect to the servers. I've had it happen in CTR as well.
I waited for at least a minute and the game didn't resume from deep sleep. It was still frozen with no input response.

Speaking as someone that loves Doom but did not like 2016 Doom, I'm frustrated that this port feels pretty half assed.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I waited for at least a minute and the game didn't resume from deep sleep. It was still frozen with no input response.

Speaking as someone that loves Doom but did not like 2016 Doom, I'm frustrated that this port feels pretty half assed.
Lol, you gotta wait long than that. When it happened to me earlier, I just let it sit there out of curiosity after reading about this. It took several minutes, but eventually got going.

And then proceeded to throw up the offline warning every few seconds, so I had to restart it anyway!

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Just want to say that this is the first time I am playing the original doom as intended, without mouse-aiming and the brutal doom mod and it is simply a phenomenal game. It holds up incredibly well.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Well it is a ps360 game there is no reason it shouldn't be running on switch.

Its not a ps360 game, itn not even available on those consoles in its original form. It was a pc only game that required the most cutting edge hardware. Gpu's that werent even invented yet. Loterally giving a warning when ultra details were selected. It required hardware outside of what ps360 had. Thats why the actual console ports arent the original game but tweaked bfg editions.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
and the day still is not here for a port of doom that can play pwads still sour still not a thing.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
With the login nonsense dealt with and the XBLA versions available again all that needs doing is fixing Doom and Doom II.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Its not a ps360 game, itn not even available on those consoles in its original form. It was a pc only game that required the most cutting edge hardware. Gpu's that werent even invented yet. Loterally giving a warning when ultra details were selected. It required hardware outside of what ps360 had. Thats why the actual console ports arent the original game but tweaked bfg editions.
They did release the original version on the OG Xbox. They did have to cut some corners obviously.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
But isn't this Port based on the BFG Edition? A PS360 game?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just want to say that this is the first time I am playing the original doom as intended, without mouse-aiming and the brutal doom mod and it is simply a phenomenal game. It holds up incredibly well.

Brutal Doom is a really neat thing but it isn't really Doom.

The purest Doom is 35 ticks per second logic output to CRT at 70hz 320x200 (double scanned to 320x400). And that's still one of the ways I play to this day, 70hz CRT, on both a vintage Pentium 100 with vanilla VGA and also on a much newer i3 + GTX 460.

And the first time I beat Doom, it was Doom 1.0 on my 486SX and it was 1993. My life changed a whole lot for the next two years as I went really, really hardcore into PC gaming to the point of even almost entirely ignoring consoles...until the PS1 launch, where things got a lot more balanced again. But it was that Doom 1.0, played with *keyboard only*, that ramped up my prioritization of PC gaming to the point that I spent the next decade maintaining a bleeding edge PC with the latest graphics and sound cards, and a whole lot of overclocking.

But these days I play with a mouse, even when I play Doom 1.9 on real MS-DOS on my real Pentium 100. Mouse is legit. Mouse has *always* been supported, and iD was using mouse as one input method while developing the game.

Lots of evidence here including original manual scan.

VKwYGFP.png

And now I'm off to hack my Switch. Certain legally owned WAD files of mine will end up on there...

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Went digging through my PS1 collection, and sure enough, there's a copy of Doom in there. :)

The only psx game to make me motion sick :-/. It was weird as it never happened for months..... I played it system linked with a friend had a bit of screen glare via a window and the motion sickness started. Oddly each time I played it from that point on I felt ill (regardless of where I was at the time).

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
So if you try to put your switch on standby while playing this, when you start it up again you won't be able to press any buttons for a good 30 seconds, and then when your buttons work, you will get an online disconnection error message every 10 seconds until you force close the app.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only psx game to make me motion sick :-/. It was weird as it never happened for months..... I played it system linked with a friend had a bit of screen glare via a window and the motion sickness started. Oddly each time I played it from that point on I felt ill (regardless of where I was at the time).

The game runs at 15 ticks per second with the player's perspective refreshing a maximum 30 ticks per second though of course framerate drops in areas/situations (regular Doom on PC was 35 ticks for both).

Anyhow, that might explain the motion sickness.

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised to see John say it's 4K on X, when the store page doesn't say anything about being X enhanced.

Even though I've already got the Switch version, I went ahead and grabbed it on Xbox too, and yep, it is certainly 4K. Now I have to decide if I want to play portable or in 4K.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
You should get a sourceport on PC like GZDoom and try the PS1 doom conversion, it includes every single levels from Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, Master levels, TNT, Plutonia and also includes the levels that were excluded from the PS1 version (and a PS1 conversion of the "No rest for the living" chapter that came with Doom 2 on 360/PS3) that's like at least 120 levels of fun. It also runs at uncapped FPS.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sooooooooo... literally ANY news about Doom 64 from today's con? I know Hugo mentioned how much he loved 64 at the Doom's influence panel, and folks were speedrunning it. I'm THIS close to grabbing EX on PC, I'm so hyped.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
The game runs at 15 ticks per second with the player's perspective refreshing a maximum 30 ticks per second though of course framerate drops in areas/situations (regular Doom on PC was 35 ticks for both).

Anyhow, that might explain the motion sickness.

I just found it weird how I owned the game for months and it never happened. Then that one day I system linked with a friend (having already done so before) I got motion sickness and I'd continue to get it each time I played it days/weeks/months after (be it single player or system link once again. And also regardless of room lighting).

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ohh man...these Games aged like fine wine. Playing the original doom again after over 20 years and it is still a awesome Game.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I really hate the difficulty divide between Hurt me plenty and the easier one, it goes from overbearingly difficult to piss easy with full ammo 24/7. What the hell is the easier version like, at that point? I want a challenge without being cheap and frustrating.

God, DOOM 2016 was so good, this makes me extra excited for Eternal

Oct 27, 2017
I've been going back and forth between versions of Doom 3, and I like a lot of the changes they made to this one. Movement speed is faster, crouching and running are both a toggle instead of having to hold the sticks in like on 360/PS3, and running doesn't bob the camera as much and cause you to lower your gun. They're small changes, but it feels more enjoyable to play in my opinion. I'm curious if there are more changes that I'm just not noticing.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing a good bit of Doom on PS4 for the first time, so let me know if these aren't bugs and that I'm missing an obvious control thing. I asked a Doom fan friend about losing the ability to punch enemies once I picked up the chainsaw and he said the original game lets you switch between the fist and chainsaw, but that's not possible here as far as I can tell. There are also constant issues with whether the game respawns you at the beginning of the level or not when you die, as in sometimes it just says at your dead body watching enemies move around and others move you back to the beginning of the level. I could be missing the logic for why it respawns you or not, but it seemed random to me. It also seemed like the map should have a zoom option from what I've heard, but it's not available here on PS4 unless I missed something.

If I could ask for a feature from Nerve in an update, I'd love to have the touchpad be used for a quick save/load feature so I don't need to keep going back to the menus to reload a specific save whenever I die, as I gave the harder difficulties a shot for a bit and experienced how brutal they can be. They could just have the left side be quick save and the right side could quick load that quick save.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I have the DOOM Classic Complete package on PS3, which I still have hooked up to main living room TV. Other than portability, is there any reason I should look at buying DOOM 1&2 on Switch? Seems like the PS3 package is both more accurate and complete.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Anyone know if it's got a res boost on PS4 Pro?

Damn, now I'm not so sure if I even want the Switch version anymore.

You know what? When they are forcing us to connect these games with a Bethesda account (yes I know you can skip it on D3), then why not doing something good with it and adding cross progression/save? Then I would easily buy both versions.

Oct 27, 2017
I have the DOOM Classic Complete package on PS3, which I still have hooked up to main living room TV. Other than portability, is there any reason I should look at buying DOOM 1&2 on Switch? Seems like the PS3 package is both more accurate and complete.

No, the version you have is better in pretty much every way.
The exception is if you really want a portable way to play Doom.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to know the answer to this as well Edit: was answered while I posted

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Quake 4 and Prey used the same engine, and ran horribly on the 360 by comparison. The fact id got DOOM 3 running at 60fps was kind of mind boggling, and really showed the impressive amount of work that had been done.

Nov 6, 2017
Has anboydy done the speedrun achievements / trophies for Doom 1 / 2. Is this solo only or can it be done in coop too? Has this all to be done in one go and every level (what about the secret level)?

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Switch version

Waiting for digital foundry analysis but i can already tell this game has dynamic resolution and drops to about 30-35 fps when heavy lighting effects.

Still very playable and enjoyable, 3 hours so far and having a blast, havent played this game since OG Xbox release and im enjoying it a lot, that atmosphere is something many games still dont know how to replicate.

Great game, one of the GOATs

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh... was hoping to wake up today to news that Doom 64 had dropped. Oh well. Guess I'll look into EX then.

Oct 27, 2017
Question! Doom 3 is one of my favourite games, do I buy it on PS4 for £7.99 or do I wait until the Switch Lite drops in September and buy it on there (price unknown?

Decisions. Leaning towards both really, I want to play it now and on the toilet later.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Question! Doom 3 is one of my favourite games, do I buy it on PS4 for £7.99 or do I wait until the Switch Lite drops in September and buy it on there (price unknown?

Decisions. Leaning towards both really, I want to play it now and on the toilet later.

Yeah do that. I've bought RE4 on everything, why not do the same for DOOM 3. At least Bethesda is pricing it reasonably.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This fucking game never stops does it. 30+ hours of amazing visuals, atmosphere, and sound.

It's a fucking shame DOOM 2016 didn't continue where DOOM 3 left. DOOM 3 is a grounded scary horror game with some realism to it (reloading weapons for example), just like DOOM should be. DOOM 2016 is an arcadey not to be taken serious jump around fest with silly and lame game mechanics (gore nests, platforming, no reloading, not scary). It's more Serious Sam/Duke Nukem than it is DOOM. I'm affraid Eternal will continue this downward spiral.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Waiting for digital foundry analysis but i can already tell this game has dynamic resolution and drops to about 30-35 fps when heavy lighting effects.

Still very playable and enjoyable, 3 hours so far and having a blast, havent played this game since OG Xbox release and im enjoying it a lot, that atmosphere is something many games still dont know how to replicate.

Great game, one of the GOATs
What system is that?

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Is Doom 3 a good game to start playing if I missed Doom and Doom 2? I platinum'd DOOM 2016 and loved it, but I just couldn't get back into those really old games like the first 2. Doom 3 looks alright though.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah do that. I've bought RE4 on everything, why not do the same for DOOM 3. At least Bethesda is pricing it reasonably.

I agree. Gotta wait til payday on Wednesday though.

Edit: question again (may have been answered already), is this basically the original PC version I loved in 2003? I assume it is, only asking as one version I played (the original Xbox version maybe) was structurally different in areas which was a shame.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up buying Doom 3 on friday, even though i had Three Houses waiting for me at home. I was wrong, good move Bethesda, good move.

I remember, Doom 3's original release was the last time i made my own PC, and i went in hard to play the game the best possible way back then. And now, i play it on mobile hardware while lying in bed ... technology is awesome.

Jun 2, 2019
It's a fucking shame DOOM 2016 didn't continue where DOOM 3 left. DOOM 3 is a grounded scary horror game with some realism to it (reloading weapons for example), just like DOOM should be. DOOM 2016 is an arcadey not to be taken serious jump around fest with silly and lame game mechanics (gore nests, platforming, no reloading, not scary). It's more Serious Sam/Duke Nukem than it is DOOM. I'm affraid Eternal will continue this downward spiral.

But Doom 64 and Doom 3 are the only games that go that route. I doubt that a series whose ost is mostly composed of rock and has big, bright colors was intended to go that route.

Doom 64 and, from what I read, Doom 3, are another flavor of Doom, leaning to terror instead of furiously shooting demons at the rhythm of heavy metal.

By the way I'm getting Doom 3 later, I need some portable space horror