• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
that's no excuse. plenty of great shooters are even older and are holding up well.

looking at the GLOWING reception from around release really confuses the shit out of me. i would say people were blinded by the graphics, but that cannot be, since the game is all shadows :o)

Doom 3 was a way different game than Doom 1/2, but it got good toward the end. Plus it had full two-player co-op, which is how I played it on the original Xbox with my brother via XBL. Those late weekend nights playing through levels are awesome memories...

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice thank you just tried DOOM TC, the atmosphere is way darker and more horror like.
Interesting take to be honest.
I will look into Doom 64 as well.
You are welcome.

PSX Doom is perfect for anybody who want's to replay the games in a very different way. I love both of them.

If you want to play Doom 64 on PC, look into this:

It is the perfect port of the game for the PC.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
You are welcome.

PSX Doom is perfect for anybody who want's to replay the games in a very different way. I love both of them.

If you want to play Doom 64 on PC, look into this:

It is the perfect port of the game for the PC.
That is really cool, that Doom 64 had also a PC release by fans.
It even uses the KexEngine for that. That is sweet.
Thanks for the links :)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
you can read it on wikipedia. It was made by midway. It wasnt even called Doom, they put the name for brand recognition. They wanted it to be a launch title, but id software who were supervising the project said the game was shit so they reworked the levels.
Doom 64 indeed started off as a completely different game.
The absolution was its codename during early prototype phase which stuck in development hell then the project evolved in what is currently known as Doom 64.
Funnily enough the planned sequel of Doom 64 that got canned in 1997 was called Doom Absolution.

As for id software saying the game was shit, here the source cited by Wiki (Next Generation #20):
FrYjPj5.jpg

Notice how the journalist worded the sentence ("evidently id software"), it was speculation on his part after hearing the delay from the planned release date.

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Do the 1 and 2 ports let you save and load anywhere? Or is it limited to only saving per level. And does it autosave when you start a level so if you die you just restart like you were or is it plain vanilla and you start over empty when you die? (Which never made sense at all)

As long as you can save manually whenever you want.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Do the 1 and 2 ports let you save and load anywhere? Or is it limited to only saving per level. And does it autosave when you start a level so if you die you just restart like you were or is it plain vanilla and you start over empty when you die? (Which never made sense at all)

As long as you can save manually whenever you want.
yes
AFAIK It was made by Midway (Netherrealm Studios)
was answered in more detail already

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, are there any other hardly played games in massive series that are technically mainline entries like Doom 64?

(I always thought of Metroid II in GB as something like this)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Wow - I never realized that wasn't part of the standard game. Crazy they never ported that mode to any other platforms/versions!
I thought they might add it alongside the other BFG Edition improvements. A shame really, given the series history of co-op. I was similarly disappointed that 2016/Eternal don't offer campaign co-op.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how's the Doom 3 port? I'd prefer to play it on PC but my BFG version has a microstuttering issue I've been umBls to ever solve.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how's the Doom 3 port? I'd prefer to play it on PC but my BFG version has a microstuttering issue I've been umBls to ever solve.

I'm playing it on X and it's fine. Control feels nicer than the 360 version. Loading is fast.

I've heard there's some performance issues on Switch but nothing wild.

Last edited:

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Ended up getting Doom on Switch and God it still feels amazing. It's pretty damn perfect. And I actually didn't notice the music thing that's been discussed, the tracks are still bangers.

Will def be getting 2 and 3 now.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I've yet to properly get into the action packed parts of Doom 3, but still super impressed that this actually is running on a portable.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Watching DF Retros review of all Doom ports reminds me how awesome the music was in the Saturn/PSX port.

Remember hearing this when a level was cleared?

Damn that's good.

Edit:

Oops. Stage cleared music is actually this.

It's still awesome.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Watching DF Retros review of all Doom ports reminds me how awesome the music was in the Saturn/PSX port.

Remember hearing this when a level was cleared?

Damn that's good.

Edit:

Oops. Stage cleared music is actually this.

It's still awesome.

So apocalyptic and cool; particularly the title theme. Damn.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow - I never realized that wasn't part of the standard game. Crazy they never ported that mode to any other platforms/versions!
I remember that port had originally edited the original level design to make room for two players and I believe certain sections were cut out or reduced.

I remember that Doom 3 came out while I was in high school after being hyped for so long and people called it pretty, but dull gameplay wise even for the time it came out. I got it on PC first and my PC was so crap it couldn't play it well with constant suttering and freezing when enemies came on screen. I eventually just settled on the original Xbox port and played it mostly there when it was on sale

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
How's the performance for doom 3 on switch?
60fps with dips

summary again:

How's the performance for doom 3 on switch?
60fps with dips
FAQ

## DOOM & DOOM II ##
- ported by Nerve Software
- requires a one-time login with a Bethesda account on all platforms. Crappy servers are causing problems. A fix to make sign-ins fully optional is in the works.
- Despite confusion, the sign-in requirement is a one-time thing and all the games can be fully played offline still (skip the sign in screen).
- have slower MIDI soundtrack playback than they should
- display in a stretched aspect ratio with rock-textures at the sides filling the rest
- does not include "Final DOOM" or "No Rest for the Living" content

## DOOM 3 ##
- ported by Panic Button on all platforms
- is based on the BFG Edition, is 60fps on Switch as well (with dips during heavy action)
- does not include DOOM and DOOM II for obvious reasons
- does not support gyro/motion aiming on Switch (or anywhere)

## General ##
- do not include any online multiplayer
- all three support video capture on Switch
- no X/Pro enhancements

RE: XBLA license fix

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I might just get the Doom collection on Steam after hearing the slower music in videos. Plus the Steam collection has Plutonia and other things these games don't, I think.

Just one question for those of you who have the original Doom games through steam: Can I easily use my game pad or controller? I don't want to use M&KB but I know the games are so old and have no idea if there's controller support.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I think I might just get the Doom collection on Steam after hearing the slower music in videos. Plus the Steam collection has Plutonia and other things these games don't, I think.

Just one question for those of you who have the original Doom games through steam: Can I easily use my game pad or controller? I don't want to use M&KB but I know the games are so old and have no idea if there's controller support.
When you get the Steam release you can use the wads with GZDoom, I think that is the better choice than using the DosBox variant.
GZDoom has Controller support for XInput and DInput.

Oct 25, 2017
So does any one have any screen grabs of the video comparison between this new port and the old Xbox 360/PS3 ports?

I remember reading that this one looks worse and has slowed down music in comparison?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Doom 3 is a fucking classic. Already sank 7 hours into it. I almost exclusively play it at night due to heatwave, but its the way you should play it anyway.

The sound and atmosphere are flawless. Its just the shooting and AI that feels kind of bland nowadays, but its a 15 year old game. I think I prefer the OG release though, it was certainly tougher and nastier and I never really minded the flashlight mechanic. But this is a good romp for 10 bucks.
Even back in 2004 the gunplay felt weak and the AI subpar. I like the game, but I think all it really had going for it was it being a tech showcase. It's still cool to look at today.
I like the music in the PSX Doom, but I can't stand how dark it is. I like to see what is killing me. :P
It's the version I grew up with. Aubrey Hodges did a great job on the soundtrack and I loved the new sound effects. The framerate makes it hard for me to play these days though.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. Long time ago bought the IOS version, it reappear on the IOS store and i can download it for free!

But a freakin Bethesda account required.... Will wait for a patch to fire it up to see if they improve some stuff in it.