• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Mine lasted 4 years before it got the yellow light of death, great system but they are ticking time bombs.
Sadly this. I still have one, but I don't use it.
My launch Fat PS3 broke, I got it repaired by Sony. While it was in repair I bought a Slim which I use to this very day. I sold my replacement to a colleague when it came back and it broke I think 2-3 years later.

But yeah otherwise it was a great system. Never regreted spending 600€ on it (albeit I have to admit that I got a really good deal at launch with a free second controller, a free game of choice and a blu-ray of Kingdom of Heaven).

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I regret never getting one of these (even if it was the cut-down euro version without the full capabilities). Didnt expect PS1 and PS2 back compat to ever fully dissapear like it has now, and with most modern games doing nothing for me, the urge to go back to some classics is higher than ever. Wouldnt be so much of a problem, but running old consoles on HDTV's (without expensive upscaling stuff) looks like ass, the OG PS3 did upscaling right?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
If only it didn't YLOD... repaired mine multiple times for backup but died anyway... RIP.

[btw it read even Super Audio CD, incredible]

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
1024px-PS3Versions.png

The Original 60GB model:
PS3_60gb_front.jpg

I mean, yeah...Sony almost went bankrupt. Yeah...that thing was expensive. Yeah...almost no one knew how to tame that beast. Third party games were running like crap at first, Sony's first party studios took years to actually take advantage of it to the point it went from those bad first year games to masterpieces like MGS4 just 2 years later and then God Of War 3 or The Last Of Us. But let's leave aside those initial, tough years of development. That thing could do EVERYTHING.

It was compatible with PSOne and PS2 games. (basically Sony's entire catalog of games)
It allowed Wi-FI (yeah no cables to me was enough to be amazed at that point), it included 4(!!!) USB ports, an HDD of 60GB, multiple flash card readers (SD/MultiMedia Card, CompactFlash Type I/Type II, Microdrive, Memory Stick/PRO/Duo). Fully compatible with CD, DVD AND Blu-Ray. I remember literally putting a CD in there and the console asking me if i wanted to rip it to the HDD with the full tracklist, CD cover etc. This was the PS2's successor.

It was even compatible with other OS like Linux. The console literally had the Cell processor AND a PS2's Emotion Engine processor inside of it. All that with no brick included. Everything was inside the damn thing.
All that with a rather humble and simplistic OS look after you turned it on, totally costumizable.

Talking about that original PS3 console, everything looked so premium and amazing to me.
This was a 2006 console and it just blew me away.

A lot is said about the Sixaxis controller...and Sony's performance that generation in terms of consoles sold, and...you know...almost dooming Sony. All that is true...but am i the only one looking back to that piece of hardware and still amazed by the fact we actually got something like that in 2006?

The YLOD kinda makes it hard to agree. My poor lauch PS3 still has many save files stuck on it forever

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It was kind of amazing.

And the reason that it was amazing is that it was futureproofed against a future that never existed.

You can see that in the hardware, where there was support for lots of memory card types because Sony didn't know which memory card would dominate. It turned out to be just USB storage plus SD and the PS3 would have been fine with none of those ports. The USB ports themselves were overkill, probably only a tiny fraction of PS3 owners ever had more than two things plugged in at the same time, but Sony were imagining people connecting tons of devices to the PS3 so they threw in four and did things like give it keyboard and mouse support on the XMB level and add printer support later.

You can see it with the XMB, a vision of the future, circa 2003 when the XMB first appeared, imagining a media universe divided neatly into music, pictures, videos and games, everything stored locally, all playback and additional features handled by the system itself. No such thing as an app. No way to perform multiple things at the same time, such as playing music in-game. There wasn't even in-game XMB until 2008.

You can see it in the amount of features the system has for media. Ripping CDs is the one that everyone brings up - it didn't just rip them, you could pick the format, pick the bitrate, and pick album art. You could group songs by genre and artist and year and add playlists, and the PS3 would look up the track listings so you didn't have to name them yourself. It does all this because Sony genuinely thought people would sit there listening to music on their PS3. The photo handler was beautiful - still one of the best-looking photo viewers ever created, with your photos mocked up to look like real photographs falling on to a scrolling timeline. It has a little photo physics simulator built in and it silently recognises faces and zooms in on them, because Sony genuinely thought people would sit there looking through years of photos on their PS3.

What's maybe even more amazing is that the actual PS3 that released was the result of someone in Sony looking at the original design and saying "that's too expensive, tone that down a bit". Look at what they originally wanted the back to look like:

jpg

Two HDMI ports. Another two USB ports. Three ethernet ports, because they wanted it to be a router as well. If Kutaragi hadn't gone unchecked it'd probably have cost about twice what it actually launched for.

I've still never understood why it had two HDMI outputs, lol.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
- a die-shrinked Gamecube with more memory
Selling your last gen console for 2.5x the price isn't what i would call "best piece of hardware".
The Wii was a considerably more capable machine than the GameCube. This is like saying the Switch is just a Wii U with more memory.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
OP, totally agree. Still have mine and it works perfectly. I've replaced the power supply to a later revision (because I could) and added an SSD.

It's a glorious way to play PS2 games in HDMI and wireless controllery.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
In a "what's in the box" kinda way, sure.

But design wise, PS2 slim is still the GOAT.

cnbsVH6.jpg
As someone who tried to get into the PS2 library in, like, 2017. These things barely work for me

Like I would put the disc in and.... nothing happens. I ended up having to put tons of weight on it to get the disc to start spinning and even then that could've been unreliable

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, fantastic piece of hardware. The build quality is insane, makes the launch PS4 models seem like cheap toys to be honest, though as others have already mentioned it certainly had the price tag to match...

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
My BC PS3 died (YLOD) and had to be replaced with another crappier version

If the PS5 is truly BC and manages to really improve the experience like PS2 did to PS1, It will be immense. A complete game changer.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Here's my butt-ass naked phat PS3 playing Red Dead Redemption while clinging to life, staying just cool enough to keep the GPU from separating from the board and having to be stripped down and reflowed again. I loved this thing, but the shitty-ass solder, hot chips, and bad motherboard flex meant that something like the YLOD (and RROD for 360) was inevitable.

tZzjz8z.jpg

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Loved mine until the inevitable YLoD came along... it's kinda sad because it has the whole package. Hardware emulation, card slots, great design etc. and all other versions lack many features of the 60GB model.

I actually thought the dev kit would be a good compromise (just lacking the design) but it turns out even that one is only capable of software emulation. Due to its enormous size I'd imagine it's not as prone to thermal issues like the standard console.

PS2 emulation and preservation seems to be a pain In the ass to begin with. The original consoles can fail easily, PS3 fat eventually dies and PCSX2 can only play the most popular titles with mixed quality.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You know how dev kits for consoles always have way more ports and parts and always look kind of weird and beastly?

That's what I always think of when I see the original PS3. It's just so far, far removed from what I associate with a consumer electronic gaming console. It feels like a "kitchen sink" dev kit full of features that will never make it to release.

And yet it exists.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
Backwards compatibility was a cool feature on a bullet point, but the way backwards compatibility was implemented on the 60 GB PS3 was awful. The video feed was dim, there was no upsampling or improvements to PS2 games the way the PS2 improved PS1 games, and you had to reboot the damn thing when you were done playing. There was no way to account for the visual/input lag introduced by HD TVs.

Also, that console was a energy monster. 190 watts made it the most power hungry console ever made.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
For those that still have a broken YLOD PS3 laying around, the system can be fixed if you're willing to pay a repair service with the right templates to do a full re-ball (solder replacement) on the chips. I considered it for mine, but ultimately just ended up getting a used Slim.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fresh outta school back then , I couldn't get two jobs as Kutaragi wanted as I was studying and my parents were convinced that price point was insane.. But my goodness I wanted one.

Got a 360 in 2006 but damn did I want that beautiful black box.. by the time I got a PS3 in 2008... it was still phat and beautiful.. but didn't have backwards compatibility, SD card readers or anything :(, I still have my working phat... but also still envious of those with the launch units.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved mine until the inevitable YLoD came along... it's kinda sad because it has the whole package. Hardware emulation, card slots, great design etc. and all other versions lack many features of the 60GB model.

I actually thought the dev kit would be a good compromise (just lacking the design) but it turns out even that one is only capable of software emulation. Due to its enormous size I'd imagine it's not as prone to thermal issues like the standard console.

PS2 emulation and preservation seems to be a pain In the ass to begin with. The original consoles can fail easily, PS3 fat eventually dies and PCSX2 can only play the most popular titles with mixed quality.
Yeah, I don't know how PS2 is going to be preserved. I gave it a try the other day and my PS2 still hangs in there. I think installing a hard drive 12 years ago and playing everything from there helped a lot.

Then again, if PS2 is a preservation nightmare (like Saturn was), I feel PS3 is going to be that much worse.

Also, that console was a energy monster. 190 watts made it the most power hungry console ever made.
Yeah, power sinks are a disqualifying flaw in hardware for me. I just spent two generations complaining about Nintendo's home hardware designs, but they're really good at this.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The first and last console that felt like a premium home theatre piece. I still have mine even though it yellow-lighted right before GT5 came out (so fall of 2010).

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Yeah, I don't know how PS2 is going to be preserved. I gave it a try the other day and my PS2 still hangs in there. I think installing a hard drive 12 years ago and playing everything from there helped a lot.

Then again, if PS2 is a preservation nightmare (like Saturn was), I feel PS3 is going to be that much worse.

Yeah, power sinks are a disqualifying flaw in hardware for me. I just spent two generations complaining about Nintendo's home hardware designs, but they're really good at this.
Exactly, at least there are more than enough manufactured PS2s out there for many years to come but the limited amount of working fat PS3 consoles will dry up rather quickly. Though PS3 itself (not sure if you were referring to 3 or 2) is safe thanks to the slim models.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing piece of hardware, but man if it's not poorly produced. They're literal ticking time bombs and it's such a shame. Even had Super Audio CD support (and it's the best way to rip those as well), which is mind of crazy.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really do miss hardware BC though. Handily the best part of the 20/60GBs. PS3 was guided through early-mid 2000s dream of set-top boxes that started with the PSX. I think for a fleeting time a machine like the OG PS3 could have made sense; where smartphones were not quite the way we handle media as we do today, but digital content handling was important enough to matter to some consumers. I can appreciate the OG PS3 for trying to meet that. But as with the typical history of these sort of things, technology miniaturized and it became more convenient to have multiple devices that share the same basic functions with specializations for specific tasks. Think about how many smart devices there are in your house that have some sort of computing power. Motors, heating, cooling, etc all went through the same phases.

The PS3 initially was Sony thinking they can control that space with a monolithic device. Despite so, so many examples that it wasn't the way - Sony's own PSX a case in point. The initial 60GB PS3s might have had a ton of hardware capability, but it took Sony till the Slim to refocus on what the PS3 should be to show us what the console could be.

Oct 31, 2017
It was and still is one of the most disgusting piece of hardware ever released.

The Slim is better but still not that good.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who tried to get into the PS2 library in, like, 2017. These things barely work for me

Like I would put the disc in and.... nothing happens. I ended up having to put tons of weight on it to get the disc to start spinning and even then that could've been unreliable

That sounds like a bad unit to be honest. I had a slim PS2 for so many years (hell, I had it a good ways into my 360 era too) and outside of some DRE's from wear and tear, it worked great till the day I gifted it to a nephew.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a bad unit to be honest. I had a slim PS2 for so many years (hell, I had it a good ways into my 360 era too) and outside of some DRE's from wear and tear, it worked great till the day I gifted it to a nephew.
I would agree if I didn't get three of them with the same problem :/ thank god they were cheap

Though of course they were used, I'm sure a new one would've worked fine for a good while like you're saying. But I did look it up and seemed to be a problem other people had too with the disc reader not registering

Oct 25, 2017
I still loath that Spiderman font, but yea everything else about it was great. I want Ken Kutaragi back. I want exotic hardware back.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I never had one but yeah it was damn cool and always wanted it but the yellow light of death keeps it from being the best of the best. Had it been reliable then it would win everything.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty awesome, until their cheap solder jobs always failed after cracking and you had to do a heatgun fix to get a few more uses out of it to avoid ylod. That generation of consoles had one of the worst build quality problems in terms of reliability.

Did the Wii have any issues or was it mostly spared?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The YLoD eventually comes for all fat PS3's like the grim reaper. Mine made it until 2011 before it gave up the ghost. It and the original 360 were doomed from day one.

Did the Wii have any issues or was it mostly spared?

My Wii fell prey to the black dots twice due to the wifi getting hot when the Wii was in sleep mode. Nintendo fixed it for free both times.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Not in terms of design or reliability, but absolutely with regard to its ridiculous library thanks to full backwards compatibility with the previous two generations. I bought a refurbed 60GB model a few years back for that very reason. I love it to death, and it's definitely the best way to play ps2 games on a modern display.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
It looks nice and has good features, but the hardware failure issues guarantee that it can't be "the best". Still, I love the OG PS3.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Not in terms of design or reliability, but absolutely with regard to its ridiculous library thanks to full backwards compatibility with the previous two generations. I bought a refurbed 60GB model a few years back for that very reason. I love it to death, and it's definitely the best way to play ps2 games on a modern display.

The PS3 is a terrible way to play PS2 games. It's blurry and has 3+ frames of lag before your display even comes into play.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The Wii was a considerably more capable machine than the GameCube. This is like saying the Switch is just a Wii U with more memory.
No it's not.
The Wii basically is a die shrinked version of the Gamecube. The cpu and the gpu are clocked 50% higher than their Gc versions due to the shrink.
When you play a Gc game they are downclocked back to the Gc level.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got a 40gb phat version Christmas 2007. I was always curious about the SACD playback since I first read about it, but had to wait until I got an OPPO dvd player off ebay in 2009 to try those discs haha.

Every now and then I power on my ps3 to listen to music off there. Shame Sony skipped out on visualizations on PS4's media player. The Earth one always syncs with any track I play and is so relaxing to watch.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
I really do miss hardware BC though. Handily the best part of the 20/60GBs...
Agreed. I picked up a PS2 quite late in the system's life. I wasn't a big fan of it (which was probably more to do with my familiarity with the GameCube and the Xbox than any failing on behalf of the PS2) but there were a handful of games that I really liked.

When I heard that PS3 backwards compatability was going to be scrapped, I eBayed my silver slimline and rushed out to buy an original model so that I could continue playing those games - only to find that those were pretty much the only thing I used the console for. Biggest case of buyer's remorse that I've ever experienced.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
I still have mine up and running. It's amazing that I can pop in any PS1, PS2 or PS3 games.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's my butt-ass naked phat PS3 playing Red Dead Redemption while clinging to life, staying just cool enough to keep the GPU from separating from the board and having to be stripped down and reflowed again. I loved this thing, but the shitty-ass solder, hot chips, and bad motherboard flex meant that something like the YLOD (and RROD for 360) was inevitable.

tZzjz8z.jpg

Is ... is that a shoelace?

Impressive.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was crazy expensive but well worth the price for everything you got out of it out of the box. A premium device through and through.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
For those that want to play PS2 games in the best way possible on a modern display, the best current option is a PS2 with component cables and either a retrotink2x or an OSSC (open source scan converter). The OSSC is a much more thorough solution, but it's also much more expensive. There is also a PS2 HDMI mod in the works that should be fantastic when it's completed.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Funny, just yesterday I thought to myself, in less than a year we will probably find out ask about the PS5. Then I had the thought, too bad it won't be as different as the PS3.

I get that it had its flaws, well documented and often rightfully criticised, but it also was special in a way that I think will never exist again. I love my PS4, and I expect I'll love the 5, but it will likely just be mostly a beast mode PS4.

Three took risks and had that Sony willingness to try new things.

The virtual online world and the ideas they pushed with it. How cool it was that you could have a house to hang with friends, casual game areas, go to a movie theatre and watch trailers.

Built in ability to let the machine contribute is computing power with folding@home. News and info from Life with Playstation.

Fortunately Sony is still willing to try new things with its games and perephrials, but I'll always see the PS3 as the death of it doing the same with its consoles..well that and the VITA.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Mine lasted almost 10 years after finally giving in in 2017. Never did any fancy shit like installing linux. Played a few PS2 games on it though but most looked shit on a hdtv anyway.