• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I liked it, especially the art style and some other elements. Wouldn't mind a more polished and expanded follow-up. But, well, same goes for Ryse. Both need work, but I would appreciate a 2nd game of both. Maybe MS could buy Crytek? ;) I mean they need money anyway...

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
No matter the length, it felt like a fuckin' eternity. For all the visual splendor, I didn't really care about anything else, but I felt obligated to keep going because I spent money on it and it was supposedly short. An absolute slog of a game.

What exactly is the "harmful narrative" here? It's a bad game. The only thing being harmed is anyone having to play it.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
How about we stop the narrative that The Order was some misunderstood gem.

It wasn't just it's length that the game was bashed. It's also because nearly half it's length was cutscenes, the boss battles were repetitive and dull, and the story, while well acted and voiced, was mediocre for game that relies so heavily on cutscenes.

All of that with a $60 price point. Now that's it's lower priced, yes I'm sure it's easier to enjoy.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
Lol. I forget the name of the dev who used to hang around the old place before it came out.

Has he personally worked on anything since, sorry not that in tune with the industry to know names of everyone.

Game was stunning to look at and people still say that. It's worth the price IMO

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How was the gunplay in The Order? Did the firearms feel satisfying to shoot with respect to mechanics, hit reactions, and audio; or were they standard TPS fare, i.e. mediocre and forgettable?

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked it up for 2 bucks on psn, still want to give it a go. It sadly looks like a game that had promise for a good sequel if lessons were learned after its initial release

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How was the gunplay in The Order? Did the firearms feel satisfying to shoot with respect to mechanics, hit reactions, and audio; or were they standard TPS fare, i.e. mediocre and forgettable?
The actual shooting part felt good but the AI and encounter design was so rudimentary and repetitive that it never felt interesting. Note, I mention the shooting part specifically. As in, pressing the shoot button felt nice.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed it and have kept it ever since I got the steelbook version at launch. Been back to it a couple times. Other than the boss battles it's a fun romp in an interesting world. Not sure why people can't accept a cinematic game unless it's telltale. They were perfectly clear about what you were getting from the start. It's also the first game where I legit didn't know it had started because the graphics were so amazing I thought it was still a cutscene

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Everything about Order's gameplay is as forgettable and mediocre as humanly possible - in the best of times.

I'm pretty sure those are literal copy pastes from the old place's disaster of a review thread
Legitimately one of my favorite review threads of all time. You could practically smell the booze coming off of that thread from all the heavy drinking that occurred once it became clear that folks were better off putting their faith in Bloodborne to deliver the PS4's first great first-party exclusive.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please stop the narrative that The Order was a dreadful 5 hour glorified tech demo?

In reality it was a dreadful 8 hour glorified tech demo.

Jun 22, 2018
I couldn't imagine spending another 2-3 hours considering just how uninteresting and unfun it was in almost every aspect.

There is absolutely no way it took me 8 hours to beat it.

An 8 hour average is more meaningful than a 5.5-6 hour anecdote.

Having a short playtime didn't make it a great or even good experience.

TBH, I prefer shorter experiences these days

I beat it in like 5 hours 10 minutes. It's not some lie.

I can't ignore the fact that it was short as hell. Like, I knew it was short going into it but I was still shocked by how abruptly and quickly it ended.

More volume wouldn't have fixed it's problems.

It was a mediocre affair.

It takes a long time to start, the intro sequence is so long it takes away from the already short runtime.

Aren't absolutely all "how long to beat" submissions anecdotal?

Will produce nosebleeds and dangerous time distortion fields around even the most resilient person.

I can't comment my own opinion as to the length and quality but what killed it for me was when Jim Sterling weighed in.

tenor.gif

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Legitimately one of my favorite review threads of all time. You could practically smell the booze coming off of that thread from all the heavy drinking that occurred once it became clear that folks were better off putting their faith in Bloodborne to deliver the PS4's first great first-party exclusive.
But resogun was out on release. Besides infamous was pretty awesome and killzone was a nice shooter

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Yes the playtime was the problem and not the sub par shooting, shitty boss fights, and ending the game on a cliffhanger( an unearned cliffhanger I might add).

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I really enjoyed the game. Guess I was expecting it to be really bad cause GAF was destroying it when it released. Glad I didn't listen. Just a damn shame we won't be getting a sequel tho.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the combat becoming monotonous pretty quickly (mainly due to the shitty encounter design), some of the guns felt really good to use. The Coach Gun was particularly satisfying. The Thermite Rifle was also pretty cool, but you only got to use it for about 15 minutes.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The 8 hour number is an average. You're just one variable.

I don't think it's a great game but I'd much prefer more short, super well made games over all the million hour long open world games that I never finish.

Hear, hear. Despite of its flaws, il enjoyed the 10 hours I spent with The Order much more than the time I spent with Witcher 3, which I"ll never finish. Now, that was money down the drain. Hell, its combat was so bad it made The Order look good.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's the definition of wasted potential.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

It's honestly pretty good. There are a lot of good weapon designs, fun alt-fire modes. There's this one triple-barrel shotgun that fires such a huge blast of death that you not only smoke the dude in front of you but every destructible object in the environment around him.

The problem is that the game around those weapons doesn't complement them at all. The camera is so close to your character, environments are so cramped and your movement so slow and clunky that you can't really do anything beyond stop-'n-popping. You typically walk into a room from one entrance, shoot a handful of guys who come in from the other side, and then move on. There's no consideration given to replay value, no option to load up a specific checkpoint just to fight some guys, no kind of unlockable weapon select option to play around with the fun stuff on repeat playthroughs; if you ever want to replay a certain moment of the game you have to start the whole chapter from the beginning, watch the unskippable cutscenes all over again, then just use whichever guns spawn at that point in the game.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Did you make this game? Who "hurt" you by saying it's a 5-hour game?

I was gonna ask the same thing; why are that concerned about this, OP? I can only imagine you're a stakeholder? And as stated multiple times before me, that wasn't the issue with the game (though it took me just under 6 and a half to beat... no rushing).

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
What amazed me about The Order is that they managed to turn a fight with werewolves in to the most boring encounters in the game.
And if I recall correctly, they gave you the same shitty werewolf fight twice.

I bought this game full priced at launch and am still pissed as hell. The graphics were great, story was decent, but the gameplay was meh and the werewolf fights are rubbish.

When I finished the game I was like "Thats it? THAT was the final battle?"

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
What's disappointing is the fact that RAD had the awesome GOW Ghost of Sparta before this. A GOW game that I would put up right along with the main titles.

I fully expected them to just burst out of the game with a hit game full of their own creativity. Unfortunately, while there were some aspects I liked the final product was mediocre to bad all the way around.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

It wasn't just it's length that the game was bashed. It's also because nearly half it's length was cutscenes, the boss battles were repetitive and dull, and the story, while well acted and voiced, was mediocre for game that relies so heavily on cutscenes.

All of that with a $60 price point. Now that's it's lower priced, yes I'm sure it's easier to enjoy.
Who is saying this though? Even the positive posts are saying it had a lot of flaws.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's unfortunate cause there was a lot of great plans for the sequel, just getting the engine together and working was a huge under-taking. And I felt for building a Third-Person shooter from scratch it handled pretty well.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, it took me just over 14 hours to complete the game on hard with aim assist off. Good 7.0/10 game for me but im still hoping for a sequel. The world, story and characters were just too good to be a one and done.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Don't care, I lost interest before any trophy pops up.

My first trophies were:

Modern Marvels
Kill 40 enemies with science weapons
Collateral Damage
Kill 3 enemies with a single explosion

They both popped during the latter half of the game.

lmao I got the platinum in 6 hours without even trying.

The 8 hour average has to be a mistake. Maybe calculating idle time on pause screens?

***The length of the game doesn't matter one bit. But let's not pretend that The Order is an 8 hour game please

It's not a mistake. It took me over 10 hours, when I inspected every nook and cranny, read through all the information that's provided, took in the atmosphere, and used the photo mode, just like I do in all games. If anything, a 5-hour playthrough is a rushed one, just like the player data clearly points out.

dPUgD4V.jpg

TL;DR, eh?

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
The reason this game will never get a sequel is because of the product the developers released, not because "some of y'all suck"

And I don't think you need to ask for this "harmful" narrative to stop. It's 2019, I don't think anyone has talked about The Order for at least 2 or 3 years

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
People who say "length wasn't the problem" should check old thread on old forum, because outrage happened before release and reviews.
And none of that outrage or whatever would even matter if it was actually a good game and people liked it after it was release. Look at all the shit Titanfall 2 got prior to release. Yet it remains at the top of most "best single player FPS campaign" lists today. Oh and I think it was only 4-5 hours long too.

There's a ton of outrage over Rockstar's working conditions too. Doesn't stop RDR2 from being GOTY everywhere. In the end quality talks the loudest, especially in the long term. The fact that people still dislike The Order today means the quality just wasn't there.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Great game, shallow but very fun, beautiful graphics, fun shooting, nice controls

Very much enjoyed it

Also loved the old british backdrop and the South Asian representation, very cool in my book

I think it would've served the game well to start selling @ 30 to 40 dollars and I wish Sony opened up a double-A studio selection from Evolution and these guys instead of shuttering them

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big advocate for consistent, concise games. But I didn't even bother finishing this gorgeous game. It was just too flawed IMO.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

damn someone took care of business already.

also for a game that relied 100% on visuals, the enemy designs were terribly dull and everything was too drab. it wasn't even the best looking game the year it released.