• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Based on 1200 playthroughs recorded, the game averaged 8 hours among all play styles. https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=20067

And it was gorgeous. Still one of the most CGI looking experiences in gaming.

Now we'll never get a sequel with fleshed our gameplay in this engine because some of y'all suck

Buy the game since it now goes on sale regularly for $4-8 on PSN. A great 8 hour game to witness.
2541627-3612963682-iFq6x.gif

2541632-8881436559-ibimo.gif

2429434-0506425036-order.gif

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed it a week ago. It's a horrible game. Was blurry and had terrible post processing.

That said Galahad's outfit is cool AF and I don't think I wasted my time due to how short it was.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I timed my play through when it came out because of the '5 hour narrative'. It took me 5h36m to finish it and another 30/40 minutes to get the last few collectibles for the platinum.

Can we stop this 'it takes 8 hours' narrative?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
How do they determine the differences between "Main Story", "Main + Extras" , and "Completionists"?

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
"Harmful?" The game is straight trash regardless of how long people played it for.

Also, it's not based on 1,200 playthroughs, but 665.

Did you make this game? Who "hurt" you by saying it's a 5-hour game?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lycan fights were dull but otherwise really enjoyed it. Shame we'll never a sequel.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Agree that it wasn't some 4-hour game unless you played on easy and just ran through it as fast as possible, but a game that you can finish in only a few hours doesn't get finished that quickly if there's actually 8 hours worth of content to play through.

And besides, the playtime wasn't why people shat on the game from a great height.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The game's like four years old. Whether or not the message was harmful, the damage has been done.

There is absolutely no way it took me 8 hours to beat that game, btw.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I've got it but yet to start it, I take longer than normal to finish games so it will probably take me a few days. Looking forward to it.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I timed my play through when it came out because of the '5 hour narrative'. It took me 5h36m to finish it and another 30/40 minutes to get the last few collectibles for the platinum.

An 8 hour average is more meaningful than a 5.5-6 hour anecdote.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
Liked the look (victorian steampunk) and the lore
Disliked nearly everything else
It was a standard covershooter and more of a showcase of ps4's power but not more
Probably the most forgettable game I own (I seriously forgot that I own it)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
TBH, I prefer shorter experiences these days. I rarely have the time for 40 hour+ playthroughs. 8 is just about perfect. I am interested in this game at least, will try it out at least.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the game and wish that we'd get another one but I can't ignore the fact that it was short as hell. Like, I knew it was short going into it but I was still shocked by how abruptly and quickly it ended.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Liked the look (victorian steampunk) and the lore
Disliked nearly everything else
It was a standard covershooter and more of a showcase of ps4's power but not more
Probably the most forgettable game I own (I seriously forgot that I own it)
It was an exquisitely produced empty shell.

More volume wouldn't have fixed it's problems.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Length wasn't the problem. It's was just a dull boring game. Good graphics doesn't make a game good.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game in 5 hours and it was a mediocre affair.

The idea that we should be nicer to it because your average player took longer to beat the game and it had good graphics is hilariously stupid.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Also the issues is that it takes a long time to start, the intro sequence is so long it takes away from the already short runtime.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
An 8 hour average is more meaningful than a 5.5-6 hour anecdote.

Aren't absolutely all How Long To Beat submissions anecdotal? There's no game timer in The Order. I had to literally time it with my phone while I played it. It took exactly 5hr36m. But don't believe me if you don't want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a 2 hour game for me, as that's when I finally deleted it off my PS4 based on how boring and dull it was

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

OP provided data from 1200 playthroughs (which from another poster sounds more like 665), while you countered with a single data point.

OP stands on a lot stronger ground with his claim. Maybe you should stop with your own narrative.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter when you just average them, and hell, the average main story playthroughs are still respectably long
Well, it matters because people who are obsessed with achievements and trophies will contribute to the average length of a game. Yet, I dont know how the website is able to differentiate that information.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played it admittedly so I can't comment my own opinion as to the game's length and quality but what killed it for me was when Jim Sterling weighed in with his opinion on this 'controversy' re how long should $60 games be in the context of him giving Dying Light a 5/10 review and even though he argued in favour of shorter games like this one over slogs like DL even he still couldn't recommend it due to its quality being far from satisfactory.

So yeah for me at least the length was never the issue, it's bad by all accounts. REVII is about the same length and it's fantastic and sold quite well for example.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
We won't get a sequel because it was a boring repetitive corridor shooter, not because people falsely called it a short game. I dropped it very quickly despite agreeing it looks nice. Came free with my ps4 along with gow3 remastered, so I didn't feel robbed which I would have done buying at launch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The 5-hour thing was because of the amount of cinematics it (supposedly, I haven't played it) has.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I enjoyed the game very much, the ONLY issue I have with it are the QTE stuff which this mechanic needs to just die.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't absolutely all How Long To Beat submissions anecdotal? There's no game timer in The Order. I had to literally time it with my phone while I played it. It took exactly 5hr36m. But don't believe me if you don't want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An average of anecdotes is more meaningful to a discussion than a single anecdotes

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It probably took me 8 hours to platinum.

And while the game is absolutely gorgeous and the design is great...the gameplay is just okay, the werewolf fights suck, and the story fizzles out without going anywhere. It'll never feel like more than a game missing the second part.

Deleted member 59

I loved the game, still one of my favourite experiences of this gen. Loved the design, the visuals, the story and the lore, which made up for the weakish gameplay.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
This is a game that was absolutely killed by exaggerated criticism you could find on forums, specifically the "old place." The Order was certainly not perfect from a mechanic standpoint, but I still feel it should have been given a sequel to fix things a la Uncharted.

One of this generation's biggest shames.