• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The screen real estate is taken to by black bars. The image is squished between them on your screen. Again, it doesn't matter how many tries you make at making this seem like this doesn't gave an impact on visuals because it does. Otherwise why are companies even able to sell larger screens at all? They look better.

Forcing a lower screen size on users = squished, nothing you have said changes this.

This is a decision made to include things they thought made the image look better than having the full image without, BUT the full image WITH would have looked better still. Hence: concession.

They literally admit in that link that it was a concession anyway. Their arguments for a "filmic" presentation are as daft as "30fps = more cinematic". Wider FoV would have given all the benefits a game needs from the wider screen they chose the black bars because they had to, they don't make it more "filmic" at all.

Right, so instead of addressing a single thing I said, you're just going to repeat all your original points like a parrot.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Right, so instead of addressing a single thing I said, you're just going to repeat all your original points like a parrot.
The irony is that is precisely what you are doing, not me.

Tbe fact you have chosen to be needlessly rude about a discussion of visual preference is pretty ficking sad tbh.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Forget it Paul, it's Squishotown.
The black bars squish the image into a smaller area on my screen. It doesn't matter how you try to talk it up, that is what is happening. And that does have an effect on the overall quality of presentation, denying that is absurd.

So, whatever. The game clearly has nice details and effects, but the clear concessions to achieve them within the confines of this gen make "next gen" claims pretty ridiculous.
I fear you're right. I might as well just delete all these strongly worded letters I was busy writing to everyone who's ever made anything that wasn't 16:9.
The fact you can't understand my point is pretty telling, tbh. I have been more than clear and the irony in your last post was incredible.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive games but I wouldn't say next gen. The only game between Xbox and PS4 that made me think it could pass for an early next gen game is RDR2 on my X.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, The Order 1886 looks spectacular! Absolutely crisp and perfect visuals ruined by WTF were they thinking gameplay choices. I couldn't keep playing it :/

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
This thread has made me grab my copy of Assassin's Creed Unity and reinstall it on my Xbox One X. I loved Origin and have yet to beat it, I've put about 30+ hours into the game yet for some strange reason I wanna give Unity a try again.

I remember finding it hard when it came out, life the difficulty would spike and enemies would be on you very quick. However I remember it being quite a looker or a game. Any word if they've released a 4k texture pack for the game? Also did they release patches to fix the games wild bugs?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, The Order 1886 looks spectacular! Absolutely crisp and perfect visuals ruined by WTF were they thinking gameplay choices. I couldn't keep playing it :/

such as? I'm genuinely curious as to what WTF gameplay choices are?

Aside from pretty visuals, the weapons and gunplay were fun to use, and combat encounters were tense and hectic. A nice amount of spectacle, as well as a variety of well designed locations (with some being stronger than others).

Generally, I only hear QTEs as a knock against the game, and that's fair, although subjective, but I think it's a competently designed game with a story that doesn't live up to its potential. I like to learn as much as I can behind people's reasons for making statements as broad and generalized as "WTF gameplay choices." As a game designer, I'm always striving to understand the medium from not just a designers standpoint, but a gamers standpoint as well.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Order 1886 is STILL the best looking game this gen (for me, personally).

Other games have surpassed it in sheer numbers, with better framerate, higher resolution, ray tracing, sheer polygon count on screen, more stuff going on, bigger levels, etc...

But frame by frame, The Order looks simple superior to pretty much everything. I will be surprised if we get something looking as consistent as this in the early years of next gen (I forecast a lot of 4K - 60 fps open world focus with not really that much detail)

Yeah The Order but on a much larger scale or open World at native 4k is what I expect the baseline for next gen exclusives to be like. The Order's micro detail, materials and lighting are superb especially as it was from a handheld studio! It looks almost CG at times.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Order is dead.
We all should come in terms with it. A new IP can be established by Sony on that cost compared to financing a sequel to a title literally famous for being bad.

I don't know who owns the IP but no publisher in their right mind would put money behind it. It has to be a QB to Control like scenario atleast.