• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like forza looks next gen when maxed out on pc.

It's beautiful, whereas on console it looks current gen

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are going to be amazed when they see what is actually produced next generation.

I remember people thinking the same thing about The Last of Us or God of War Ascension.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
How could they possibly look like something you've never seen?
cause you can compare em to what we have right now that's considered a looker, and if it goes beyond that then you can imagine what next gen looks like.
Besides, the first games of next gen are never that big of a jump from the best looking games from this gen or the best looking gen on PC.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how apparent the diminishing returns is gonna be next gen, knowing these games exist (especially the order, still the best looking game of this gen imo)

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, in 1080p they don't look much worse than the average game this gen.

What are we defining as the average game? This gen does not have that many mid tier releases. I would say it looks worse than pretty much every AAA game that wasn't cross generation. If we are including indie games, than I guess you could say it would be average

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
what are you talking about these games depict what current gen should have looked like the whole time... it's what everyone expected for this gen... I just took a few years to get there.

Light-Bringer

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
All three games look so beautiful and if early Scarlett or PS5 games look them but more redefined, I'll be a happy bunny at launch.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The Order blew me away, it was unreal how realistic it looked. Sad the gameplay sucked so bad. Forza Horizon 4 is one of the best games of this gen and certainly looks amazing. So does FH3 I think.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played the The Order 1886 early this year and it was awesome and yes the graphics were some of the best I've ever seen.

Also how do we have a thread like this without including other lookers like Red Dead 2, Gears 5, and Uncharted 4?

I just don't know how much better graphically we are going to get, its the details at this point.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A 30 minute cut scene? Which cut scene was this?
it was a series of cutscenes. starts after you chase down the first vampire and kill him in one hit. then you have a cutscene with your team. then the next chapter starts with the knights of the round table which is another long cutscene. after which you go around doing nothing and see more cutscenes. pretty sure tesla's introduction is one of them. it might even be longer than 30 minutes.

just watch a replay on youtube.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
cause you can compare em to what we have right now that's considered a looker, and if it goes beyond that then you can imagine what next gen looks like.
Besides, the first games of next gen are never that big of a jump from the best looking games from this gen or the best looking gen on PC.
I don't understand how anyone could think like this knowing the hardware we'll have next gen. Seems foolish.

Oct 25, 2017
Bottom line. Make the order 1887 already. The gameplay was meh but the world was cool, characters were good and it look(s) unreal, even still.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if a game from 2015 looks next gen, then both this and next gen have utterly failed

i def. want to live in the timeline where The Order was an excellent game though, such a shame

astro

Oct 25, 2017
With the squished and blurry image, no, The Order's visuals are overrated.

Too many concessions to achieve the effects.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The Order kind of sucks with that aspect ratio, other than that the visuals were and still are insane. A shame that game was pretty forgettable so it's not really talked about much.

Speaking of Detroit when is that PC port supposed to be coming out?

Oct 1, 2019
I find it hard to praise The Order's graphics when it is 1920 x 800 outputting at 1080p. Those black bars make up around 25% of the screen. Render those blank spaces and you'd have to have the graphics take a hit, even to perform at its filmic framerate.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 maxed and higher resolutions and 60fps+ always looked better than The Order.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
The Order does look amazing and I hope they reboot it because I love that type of settings in a game.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
The Order 1887 needs to happen on PS5 with an open-linear world. With some fixes it can be a great game because I love the setting. I enjoyed the game for what it was but I also acknowledge the various issues it had. Also I think RAD has matured as a studio and they can do a much better sequel if given an opportunity. Do it Sony !!!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The Order is a genuinely good game. It also has incredible visuals. The gunplay was actually really enjoyable, and the atmosphere was incredible. The story was standard fair, but really started to open up towards the end, which is unfortunate. They shouldn't have kept so much back for a sequel that wasn't guaranteed. The game ends with at least a few more chapters that could have elevated it. Even so, I loved it. It's not perfect, but it's really good. I feel like as time passes, more people will appreciate the game for what it is, not what they expected it to be. I'm thinking of replaying it again at some point, just to take in the visuals and soak in the atmosphere. I'd have loved a sequel. The story and characters had a ton of potential. It's like Assassin's Creed 1. A solid, if flawed start to something special. But it never got the chance to have it's Assassin's Creed 2 moment.

Oct 25, 2017
The order is still one of the most impressive looking game to me this gen. It most likely have to do with the lighting. Maybe it has something to do with the colors/filters, but it's got that very realistic look from a Victorian movie.
2625686-lawpma.gif
Jesus, I almost forgot how good this game looks.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think you need to play them on the upgraded consoles and have a 4K TV to really appreciate how great Detroit and FH4 look.

Shame The Order hasn't been Pro enhanced.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
This one is actually a little bit *Next Gen*. ;)

The Tomorrow Children on a F'n regular PS4!

the-tomorrow-children-screen-07-ps4-us-13oct15

the-tomorrow-children-screen-01-ps4-eu-12nov14

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
DriveClub looks good with weather effects but overall it can't compare to what Forza is doing, especially at 60fps. That game on a well specced pc (or 1X) is a damn miracle.

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
When The Order looks great, it looks great but it's such a static world and there are a number of NPC characters that just like like waxwork dummies (e.g. the hooker & drinkers in the Whitechapel pub).

For PS I still think the crown is shared between GTS, UC4, GoW, RDR2 & HZD (with honourable mention to DG for the environmental effects), and I fully expect DS, TLOUII & GoTsu to join that list.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
can't wait for the red dead of next gen to make the red dead of this gen look like the red dead of last gen.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The Order 1886 is STILL the best looking game this gen (for me, personally).

Other games have surpassed it in sheer numbers, with better framerate, higher resolution, ray tracing, sheer polygon count on screen, more stuff going on, bigger levels, etc...

But frame by frame, The Order looks simple superior to pretty much everything. I will be surprised if we get something looking as consistent as this in the early years of next gen (I forecast a lot of 4K - 60 fps open world focus with not really that much detail)

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Agree. I enjoyed The Order 1886 very much for what it was and even finished it two times, it has a good length that encourages a spontaneous playthrough. Graphically it is outstanding and i expect next gen to hit those graphics for small budget and indie titles.

Detroit also is amazing especially character models and some effects on them are next gen imo. Environments look great most of the time, although not flawless.

Didn't play Forza Horizon.
Best looking game all things considered is RDR2, no doubt about that.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Agree. I enjoyed The Order 1886 very much for what it was and even finished it two times, it has a good length that encourages a spontaneous playthrough. Graphically it is outstanding and i expect next gen to hit those graphics for small budget and indie titles.

Detroit also is amazing especially character models and some effects on them are next gen imo. Environments look great most of the time, although not flawless.

Didn't play Forza Horizon.
Best looking game all things considered is RDR2, no doubt about that.

Don't get your hopes up. It's more about the time and money invested in the production of the game vs the power of the hardware it is running on. Indie devs and small budget games won't have this sort of money regardless of what platform they are developing for.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Mildly hot take: I still think The Order 1886 is the best looking game this generation. The sheer detail and graphical prowess per level is just insane.