• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
gnOLVC6.jpg

3IPiL72.jpg

Perhaps the prettiest console game during its release year and still is one of the most gorgeous looking games to date. I loved the grain filter.

However, the game has certain fundamental issues that no amount of visual prowess can overcome:
  • Too many heavily linear and constricted environments
  • Recycled enemy encounter design which were not great to begin with (presumably to pad the game's length which was already being derided at the time leading up to its launch)
  • Inclusion of instant fail stealth segment level
  • Unskippable cutscenes
  • Far too short for the cinematic story the game tried to convey
  • While it is hard to articulate as to the specifics (as long time has passed since I played the game) but the world felt very static outside the enemy encounters and set piece moments
  • Story was a touch too cliched as it retreads the same trends of the genre tropes

Undoubtedly there were things they absolutely nailed:

• Exotic weaponry and effects
  • General visual effects, fantastic PBR, lighting and character fidelity (except on Lafayette who, during real time segments, would suffer from facial shading related issues)
  • Great sound design for weapons and explosions as well sufficient distinction among all major sound effects
  • Gorgeous vistas (albeit recycled, which is evident when looking at the structures at the end of the bridge segment)
  • Some of most aesthetically pleasing character designs in a game. It felt like a cross between a sith/jedi order and Batman
  • VA- One of the earliest current gen title where I felt the dialogues were natural and normal bereft of corn or cheese
  • Very stable performance on base console
  • Some absolutely phenomenal looking and scripted cinematic set piece events

In the greater scheme of things, this, one of the most photogenic games I have ever played most definitely deserves a second chance so that the lessons learned from their mistakes and simply from the advances in the TPS space could be put to use. After all, the ending is essentially an origin story for a Victorian/Elizabethan era Batman.

PZGwZEA.jpg

efcLZa5.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still probably the most overall graphically impressive game this generation if you ask me. I also enjoyed what gameplay there was, for what it's worth.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow, this is still the most consistently great looking game I can think of. There are games that have higher highs, but they also have lower lows. This is, from the beginning to the end just so super-coherent looking. I know it's partly because environments are so boxed in and linear, but the talent they have and the tech they've put together is just stunning. I liked playing it too, well mostly, because some parts were certainly mind numblingly bad, but some of the weapons felt so good to use. I've also played Lone Echo at friend's place, but never had a chance to complete it, which bums me out greatly, as it was such a cool game too. Sony really goofed by not bankrolling a VR project with RAD.

Last edited:

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
The tech that went into this game is fucking lit!

It just sucks the game itself wasn't up to par. I want a sequel.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
People say this, but this isn't really about "Order 2 or no Order 2," it's about whatever else the studio can do. When you look at Lone Echo, would you really trade THAT for The Order 2? I wouldn't for sure.

It's like people who say they want another Resistance... Sure, those games were okay and there's untapped potential, but have you played Spider-Man?

So goddamn hyped.

I'd take a Resistance or Sunset Overdrive over Spider-Man any day.

Anyway, The Order was a fun game and was really begging for a sequel to unlock it's full potential.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
This game looked so amazing. Still the best looking game this gen.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Being a smaller part of the development of this game was a great experience, a lot of insanely talented folks there that really cared about detail and polish. I've said since then that there will never be a game this graphically polished again, every detail was truly cared for (which can be a bit of a determent to development).

Such a shame a sequel never got to be made, it would have been exceptional. (Not sure what they are up to nowadays!)

Much love to the team!

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
The game still looks really good today. Its a shame, I thought the gameplay was fine (except the boss fight) and that the story was interesting.

But it really was quite short and didn't have much replay value...

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The game still looks really good today. Its a shame, I thought the gameplay was fine (except the boss fight) and that the story was interesting.

I think once you beat it they should have given you the ability to use any gun at any time. There are some REALLY fun guns in there that they literally only allow you to use for minutes before they're taken away from you.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

These and the boss battles were really the only rational complaints.

I enjoyed the gameplay very much. There just wasn't really enough of it, and the combat encounters could have been expanded to encompass more varied encounters and more complexity in level and encounter design.

manunkindh

Jun 7, 2018
Weird anniversary, but sure, I'll take it.

I liked this game more than I expected, simple, linear and straight to the point 6h game. Those games can be refreshing, specially as the games become more and more big.

I really miss a game like this and I agree it can be very refreshing. Everything has to be open world nowadays and twice the size of New York if possible. I also think it is a GREAT game and had much fun with it. And don't forget the voice acting too, one of the best this gen.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Being a smaller part of the development of this game was a great experience, a lot of insanely talented folks there that really cared about detail and polish. I've said since then that there will never be a game this graphically polished again, every detail was truly cared for (which can be a bit of a determent to development).

Such a shame a sequel never got to be made, it would have been exceptional. (Not sure what they are up to nowadays!)

Much love to the team!
You guys were amazing at making sure each and every detail was hit. I can't believe some scenes in the game.

Except mirrors 🙃

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Oh I how see it is, gearing up for the forthcoming sequel announcement by dropping us some tidbits of info about the development of the first game.

Get hyped bois!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Much love to the team!

Currently, afaik, they are engaged in a VR project (details posted in this thread).

As for sequel (I am unsure who owns the IP), given they are a third party, it does a layer of complexity but given the gap between Killzone and Killzone 2 was essentially 5 years, a sequel for TO1886 is not entirely out of the question. It is all about if the follow up would make narrative and thematic sense, whether the devs can promise substantial progress for the issues that plagued the first game and how receptive the market would be to the genre of the game at the time of launch window, expected budgetary requirements, etc.

For me, the story became utterly cliched during the big reveal past the mid-point of the game. The entire setting of victorian supernatural stories begetting the established victorian supernatural monsters in their established power and influence based hierarchy has been done far too many times in other mediums. The only true sense of anachronism came from the exotic weapons.

Anyway, I am not stating that the story can not get more interesting in the sequel but the lack of a defined nemesis beyond the spread of, what is essentially a plague/infection/virus/corruption without greater motivation beyond the age of old survive and thrive in the dark mentality, means the writers would have to do a damn great job. Should they go for a simpler story, they should at least try to side step the usual genre tropes and pit falls.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Still easily the most graphically impressive game I've ever played. I adored the soundtrack, aesthetic, setting and lore of the game. The voice acting, sound design and Q like crazy weaponry were all fantastic too. It really really sucks that we will never get a chance to see what they could've done with a sequel. I think building on the successes they had with 1886 could've led to something truly incredible. They had so much more planned and we will never get the chance to see any of it

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
For all the hate the game gets I was surprised to see that the gameplay was NOT the worst offender. If was a fine shooter. Reminded me a lot of gears in how it controlled. The worst part of the game, ironically, was the story, which they touted as being one of the main pillars of this game.

In regards to the visuals, I still haven't seen any other game that was such a leap ahead of its peers in on release. I haven't played it in a while but I doubt the game isn't at the very least still top 3 this gen.

jryi

Oct 27, 2017
People say this, but this isn't really about "Order 2 or no Order 2," it's about whatever else the studio can do. When you look at Lone Echo, would you really trade THAT for The Order 2? I wouldn't for sure.
Is this coming to PS4? I don't really follow the VR scene outside PSVR.

But the sequel wouldn't have to be developed by RaD. I mean, Sony owns the IP, right? They could probably just spin up a new studio at Santa Monica or wherever and let them test their wings. For me, the most interesting part of 1886 was the lore. I want more of that!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best looking games of all time. Also one of the worst games I've played this generation.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game had so much potential. I liked what it was but can absolutely see why most people weren't as happy with it.

They needed more time. The game should've been 2/3 longer and the gameplay needed more variety.

I would love a sequel with the right priorities.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Even now it's still an amazing looking game. The shooting was fine as well, it's just that the game structure was severely lacking and there were too many outdated design decisions.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
That time when Sony accidentally released a PS5 game on PS4. The visuals of games like 1886 and Killzone 2 made me question reality, life and my existence. Maybe DriveClub too. Aside from graphics and presentation it was a neat game which deserves a sequel... to be precise Ready at Dawn deserves it.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Sony thought they are funding the game but got a somewhat playable engine tech demo instead.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Such a good looking game. Wish game was better. I was hoping for uc1 level of game but it was not even able to match that

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

It's like people who say they want another Resistance... Sure, those games were okay and there's untapped potential, but have you played Spider-Man?

So goddamn hyped.

I've played Spider-Man. It's a fun open world game in the mold of every other one since 2011. Resistance 3 is the best shooter campaign of the last and current gen. It's creative and punchy and original. So yes that's why I say I'd rather that.

Given lone echo's popularity and platform, it's probably not what most people would opt for. Thems the breaks for vr unfortunately.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
The sequel has so much potential. I was disappointed with the final launch version, but boy the visuals are something else. I am still amazed by how good it holds despite having played God of War(which is out of this world too), Spider-Man and RDR2. Some of the materials, shaders and lighting during the inside train compartments of RDR2 during night time reminded me of Order 1886!

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this coming to PS4? I don't really follow the VR scene outside PSVR.
It's an Oculus first party title, so no, not coming to Steam or PSVR. I don't know that it would work well on PSVR anyway being heavily based around hand interactions, and very CPU intensive physical simulation.

Oct 27, 2017
The game was thin and the story goes off the rails a bit, but I loved loved loved playing through this game. It has an atmosphere and sense of place that few games match. I would absolutely love a sequel.