• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
For every blatent hacker there will be another 5 or 6 that aren't so obvious.

The ones In the videos posted have all hacks turned on (wall hack, aimbot, auto snap to head etc).

Some players have hacks but do their best to not get caught, so they may just use map hacks to see enemy locations or wall hacks. Some will turn off all their hacks as soon as they have a spectator.

I've never understood why games show you how many people are spectating you.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
COD does have the option to disable crossplay.

Personally I think the crossplay options should be more granular, because I would like to disable it only for playing against PC players. Other consoles are fine.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Developers should fix cheating on pc, not band aid for console players...
Afaik Valve has the best Anti-Cheat around and it is still butt. I could see a future where you have to launch a game in an intrusive 'secure' mode to do crossplay tho. Hell, market it as Crossplay Mode.

I hope Microsoft works out something in Windows itself too.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Funny I played a guy and his teammate with this exact username and called him out for cheating after his first 2 kills. I reported him and left the game. To date this is the ONLY cheater I've seen on MW PC since launch...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Man, y'all really thirsting hard for that walled garden. I hope I don't see y'all complain if Street Fighter VI or Monster Hunter 6 decides against cross-play. Hell, Era would probably applaud the decision to not play with others.

Having an option that is enabled by default for crossplay is not asking for a walled garden. Your entire post is basically a strawman.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
What should be done is that this multi-billion dollar company should put some money into anti-cheat software. They manually review all cheaters at Activision, which is why it takes so long for these people to get banned. Some accounts are level 151 through cheating, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I play SP games on PC just fine but I've shifted MP to consoles since I got fed up with cheating and my paranoia that others could be cheating. It started sucking the fun out a bit and it's quite nice to just lose a game on ps4 knowing it's because I was worse. While cross play is handy I do agree there should definitely be better methods for opting out in all games

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Just another reason why I will never return to PC gaming. It's obviously just a small percentage who do cheat, but it still sucks to be in a game with one in your (very) limited time of playing in a day. I agree that they should always have an option to disable crossplay.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I love some good stealth platform warring thread.

There are also hacks on consoles.

Drop the concern trolling and just be like "I only want to play with people on the same brand/team as me". At least that'll be honest.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Check the official reddit. This nonsense is growing. It may have been small when MW first launched but now there's an influx.

I highly doubt that.

I would agree with games for 4-8 players but like Warzone where there is 150 people on single match, it's getting pretty awful.
Crossplay needs to be opt-in for sure.

I think that the internet amplifies the number of cheaters to the point of hyperbole. I do agree that more options are always better so I am definitely in favor of having a toggle for those who want it but I also strongly believe that the benefits of full crossplay for the vast majority of players far outweigh any potential issues. Therefore I believe the future is crossplay as the default for all games. Tens of millions of people pay online games every day, the cheaters among them are a tiny minority that isn't worth jeopardizing crossplay over.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
As a PC gamer I really despise those cheaters on PC. I want every client or at least a game to require the user to add their phone number to continue.

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I can disable it I'm fine.

I think that the internet amplifies the number of cheaters to the point of hyperbole. I do agree that more options are always better so I am definitely in favor of having a toggle for those who want it but I also strongly believe that the benefits of full crossplay for the vast majority of players far outweigh any potential issues. Therefore I believe the future is crossplay as the default for all games. Tens of millions of people pay online games every day, the cheaters among them are a tiny minority that isn't worth jeopardizing crossplay over.

A future I won't participate in. Good thing I don't really like many competitive games any way. And no it won't be mandatory.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
True enough.
Even without cheating etc. personally I'd just like to disable crossplay if I'm playing FPS game on console, since I feel like it's hard to match the movement of MKB players on PC.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
COD does have the option to disable crossplay.

Personally I think the crossplay options should be more granular, because I would like to disable it only for playing against PC players. Other consoles are fine.
This is where I'm at. Hopefully going forward most crossplay games will selectively let you turn on/off platforms. This is the least customization you can ask for.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For every blatent hacker there will be another 5 or 6 that aren't so obvious.

The ones In the videos posted have all hacks turned on (wall hack, aimbot, auto snap to head etc).

Some players have hacks but do their best to not get caught, so they may just use map hacks to see enemy locations or wall hacks. Some will turn off all their hacks as soon as they have a spectator.

I've never understood why games show you how many people are spectating you.
Reminds me of competitive SOCOM back in the day. You knew code breakers and game sharks were still a problem even after Sony implemented DNAS for SOCOM 2, but the ones who just ran e-tag codes were the real problem because it was more or less invisible and was a HUGE advantage.

Oct 25, 2017
I love some good stealth platform warring thread.

There are also hacks on consoles.

Drop the concern trolling and just be like "I only want to play with people on the same brand/team as me". At least that'll be honest.
Lol, yeah cos it's definitely as bad on consoles as it is on PC. It's ok to admit that there might be some downsides y'know? You won't get banned from Steam. I've run into more cheaters on PC (been PC gaming since 2017) than I have on consoles despite owning a console every gen. It's absolutely an issue.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Disabling PC crossplay means nothing when PS4 players themselves are also cheating.

Like this video has shown it's a pretty wide spread cheating method. A friend of mine recorded a match he spectated, which 2 PS4 players simply cheat the game and win the match. 2:16 , 3:20, 6:30 ... they literally abused it.
I understand your frustration, but you don't have to be on PC to cheat. Disabling crossplay, like many have said, will only hurt those who have friends that own different systems who also want to play together.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
As long as I can disable it I'm fine.

A future I won't participate in. Good thing I don't really like many competitive games any way. And no it won't be mandatory.

It doesn't have to be. I support the option as long as crossplay is the standard and the option to disable it resides in an "advanced options" menu. That should ensure widespread adoption of crossplay and the ability to opt out for those who want it.

True enough.
Even without cheating etc. personally I'd just like to disable crossplay if I'm playing FPS game on console, since I feel like it's hard to match the movement of MKB players on PC.

That's why I believe that matchmaking based on input method is the ideal solution. I agree with you, I'm not a fan of mixing inputs together.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Having it on by default in MW is the biggest problem and it's pretty much ruining the game. Horrible decision. When people say they want crossplay, they mean between consoles, not with PC players using mouse and keyboard + aimbots.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Having it on by default in MW is the biggest problem and it's pretty much ruining the game. Horrible decision. When people say they want crossplay, they mean between consoles, not with PC players using mouse and keyboard + aimbots.

I believe they want crossplay based on input method. Obviously no one wants cheaters.

Deleted member 64503

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 13, 2020
Never liked the idea of crossplay with PC users cause of cheating and the clear advantages of better resolution, framerates and more options.
Yet now I'm hearing pc users complain controller users have aim assist lol.

BTW turning off crossplay on ps4 leaves you in laggy lobbies, less filled and a non-stop obnoxious reminder to turn crossplay on.
Your telling me the millions of people on ps4 are not enough to fill lobbies?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, yeah cos it's definitely as bad on consoles as it is on PC. It's ok to admit that there might be some downsides y'know? You won't get banned from Steam. I've run into more cheaters on PC (been PC gaming since 2017) than I have on consoles despite owning a console every gen. It's absolutely an issue.

Dunno. It feels like there's a set of people who ALWAYS find cheaters at every game. Heck reading some posts here, it's almost like when they enable crossplay, they end up in a game with everyone being a cheater but them.

Is it easier to cheat on PC ? Yes, definitely. Is it impossible to cheat on consoles ? No not really.

Is there a higher chance to meet cheaters on PC ? Yes. Does it mean you'll often meet cheaters ?

In the span of 11 years, from 1600 hours combined of L4D1 and 2 versus mode, 400 hours of PUBG, 400 hours of Rocket League, 200 hours of PES, 200 hours of FIFA, hundreds of hours of fighting games online, there might be 4 to 5 instances I spotted an obvious cheater. 2 of that was PUBG. The rest was L4D2.

What I notice though about cheating is how overblown that thing is and how most of the time it's people who weren't just good enough. Me too I called someone a cheater because they played well and I was just angry at the time. And what I notice too is how it's a console warring trolling concern.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
There are lot of disingenuous posts here trying to paint it as console wars, but yeah this is basically what should be the default.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I hope Microsoft works out something in Windows itself too.
This was something UWP was supposed to be able to do (though that was still far from perfect), it worked closely to how the Xbox functioned. However there's the rub, to get the kind of security necessary to prevent the vast amount of cheating that occurs on PC, you need a system as air-tight as the Xbox. Which means no Win32 (strictly Win32), no third party drivers (would that even be possible to enforce?), no third party overlays or utilities. Nothing would ever be able to hook into or anywhere near these programs, because the moment you do someone has a way in to start injecting their own code.
And PC users don't seem to want that, they are concerned about modding and compatibility. And you'd ultimately have a system not dissimilar from DRM either. It'd be an interesting balancing act and not one with any clear solution for.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that there should always be an option to turn off CP.

However, hacking has been happening in CoD for consoles since the dawn of time. How can we say CP is the cause of it all of a sudden??

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
How does that help if they are cheating on the console as well?

There is noone "cheating" on PS4. The worse you will get is a lag switcher or someone abusing an in game glitch - which is completely different to a PC player downloading and running a script that literally auto headshots people and can see through walls.

Sony made the right choice by mandating an op out for PC cross play. Xbox should follow suit. To be honest I would rather we only had console cross play, otherwise you will always get this bullshit.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
There is noone "cheating" on PS4. The worse you will get is a lag switcher or someone abusing an in game glitch - which is completely different to a PC player downloading and running a script that literally auto headshots people and can see through walls.

Sony made the right choice by mandating an op out for PC cross play. Xbox should follow suit. To be honest I would rather we only had console cross play, otherwise you will always get this bullshit.

You can turn off CP on Xbox.

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah with PC crossplay this shit was inevitable. Report and try to convince your friends to switch system to one less prone to this plague.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Yeah in general I'm happy for cross play but for shooters it's a huge advantage if you are on pc
The guns don't even have a recoil/kick back, just point and boom
I'd like it if ground war and war zone had an option for just a single console or no pc

Deleted member 64503

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 13, 2020
Dunno. It feels like there's a set of people who ALWAYS find cheaters at every game. Heck reading some posts here, it's almost like when they enable crossplay, they end up in a game with everyone being a cheater but them.

Is it easier to cheat on PC ? Yes, definitely. Is it impossible to cheat on consoles ? No not really.

Is there a higher chance to meet cheaters on PC ? Yes. Does it mean you'll often meet cheaters ?

In the span of 11 years, from 1600 hours combined of L4D1 and 2 versus mode, 400 hours of PUBG, 400 hours of Rocket League, 200 hours of PES, 200 hours of FIFA, hundreds of hours of fighting games online, there might be 4 to 5 instances I spotted an obvious cheater. 2 of that was PUBG. The rest was L4D2.

What I notice though about cheating is how overblown that thing is and how most of the time it's people who weren't just good enough. Me too I called someone a cheater because they played well and I was just angry at the time. And what I notice too is how it's a console warring trolling concern.
Yet 50,000 users have already been permanently banned on MW but your right not a issue

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
You can't turn it off for certain modes on Xbox, such as Warzone or Groundwar

Ah. Warzone. I do not play this mode. I did a quick and and what I found for Xbox users is they have to jerryrig it to not have CP. However, I'm sure this disables it across the board.
  1. Go to your Xbox settings
  2. Scroll to Account and click on Privacy and Online Safety
  3. Click on Xbox Live Privacy
  4. Click on View Details and Customise
  5. Click on Communications and Multiplayer
  6. Change "You can play with people outside of Xbox Live" to block.

Jun 2, 2019
And PC users don't seem to want that, they are concerned about modding and compatibility. And you'd ultimately have a system not dissimilar from DRM either.

PC IS freedom, there's no need for such restrictions when there's already a perfectly valid anticheat solution in Valve's VAC. PC users fight back UWP because in the long run it's another try from Microsoft to control the PC Gaming space, anticheat it's not an excuse when there's already effective anti-cheat systems that still allow for file tampering.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
As a PC gamer I really despise those cheaters on PC. I want every client or at least a game to require the user to add their phone number to continue.
Hackers would use burner phones. You'd be amazed the lengths they go to.

What Infinity Ward needs to do is implement better anti-cheat software. What they have right now is insufficient beyond measure. Previous CoD games used VAC, and it worked really well. BO4 and MW2019 didn't have anti-cheat that's even remotely as effective.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
Ah. Warzone. I do not play this mode. I did a quick and and what I found for Xbox users is they have to jerryrig it to not have CP. However, I'm sure this disables it across the board.
  1. Go to your Xbox settings
  2. Scroll to Account and click on Privacy and Online Safety
  3. Click on Xbox Live Privacy
  4. Click on View Details and Customise
  5. Click on Communications and Multiplayer
  6. Change "You can play with people outside of Xbox Live" to block.

I don't play on Xbox, so I can't test if that work around is effective, but they need to make it a simple and obvious toggle in the game options like it is on PS4.

Or just limit cross play so it's only between Xbox and ps4, that would be ideal.