• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Cousin got reamed online when she was just reading off the CDC/WHO guidelines on what you should be doing for this pandemic. People are very convinced it's not a big deal in my life. I cannot say so much as "We should take this seriously" without going down the conspiracy route. And that's just with family.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Okay maybe it's good some think it's overreacting if it means the elderly don't reenact the portals scene from Avengers Endgame at my job once an hour

Oct 27, 2017
Not really surprised to be honest. There's a lot of intangibles muddled with misformation.

-Potentially any and everyone has it
-You can't accurately discern who has it even if they're sick or have symptoms
-no idea to tell how long someone's had it if they do have it
-tests aren't widely available
-constantly been compared to coming down with the flu
-the perceived "seriousness" of it has shifted from thinking it was a deadly disease that everyone would die from to "you'll be fine if youre young and healthy"

I'm sure for a lot of people this is some kind of "ethereal" thing until it affects them personally. There's a lot of intangibles for people to write it off. The irony of course is that it's these very intangibles and unknowns that require it to be taken seriously.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if brainwashing the country into being 100% against anything "leftists" believe in has any effect on this.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I'm honestly fine with anyone thinking whatever they want.
But how are they acting? If they're still filling up bars and restaurants, that's fucking awful.
If they're sitting all alone at home rolling their eyes, what do I care?
So hopefully they're following procedure, even if they don't believe it.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hey man, if people are going to threaten me and mine with their own stupidity than I earnestly don't care if the virus does a bit of culling, as monstrous as that may seem.

Mar 30, 2019
I would call it unawareness, but that isn't the case and gives them the benefit of the doubt. This is mis-awareness, digesting the info/reaction and deciding the reaction is wrong after the fact. It's this crazy negative feedback ouroboros of Trump leading as a follower, the base following his lead based on their lead.

Thank goodness the libs are owned. I hope they keep the red hats on so I know who to walk around.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but I don't see the point in poking fun at people clearly foolish enough to think this is a hoax.

These people are going to kill others. I know it's grey, but at some point we need to stop being paternalistic about the ignorant and actually blame them for causing harm.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people are going to kill others. I know it's grey, but at some point we need to stop being paternalistic about the ignorant and actually blame them for causing harm.
They aren't the ones causing harm. In fact the virus will literally effect their lives regardless whether or not they believe to be or hoax or not. Just like the rest of us. Our government is the one causing harm by not acting appropriately.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean anti-vexers are a thing too so at this point a large percentage of people having the self preservation instincts of a lemming in blender doesn't suprise me 😑

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Even Trump is starting to get scared at the average MAGA dude stupidity level.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
am i the only one who feels like there's a bit of a racist undercurrent to the fact that most of america didn't seem to take this seriously til it got bad in italy?
this was going on in china for a long time, but suddenly italy is shut down and we pay attention because they're white
It's part racism, part otherization. We identify more with other western nations because they're more 'like us'. Brown kids being killed by drone strikes on the other side of the world, meh not my problem. A terrorist attack in another western nation, it could happen to us too!

jay

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't the ones causing harm. In fact the virus will literally effect their lives regardless whether or not they believe to be or hoax or not. Just like the rest of us. Our government is the one causing harm by not acting appropriately.

I agree the government is handling this terribly, and generally dislike relying on personal responsibility as a reason for things. But individual people are literally the vector this virus uses to spread. This is going to rest on peoples' actions barring a totalitarian controlling of the entire populace.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I always get in trouble for saying it... but people are stupid.
Regadring the outbreak but it seems obvious to me, like 100% obvious, that what you should be doing right now is coming in contact with as few people as possible... and yet people don't care and would rather go to a parade or do some nonsense stuff that will just spread the disease.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
When our president has been telling these people this is all a hoax I'm not shocked at all. People are terrible especially when it benefits them.

Nov 9, 2017
Lots of young Americans are also not taking this seriously and are only treating this as an extended vacation while thinking about what they are going to do with a possible stimulus check.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
A dude at my work has been ranting about how the virus isn't even real, it's just made up so they can force everbody to get a vaccine so they can microchip us. He assures me that he will NOT be getting any sort if microchip vaccine. He is 35 btw

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
The differences between political parties are stark, with a majority of Republicans saying it is overblown and the vast majority of Democrats considering it a legitimate threat.
The difference between the exceptionally stupid and the reasonably intelligent. Darwin, do your work.

Anecdotal evidence from my conservative dad:
- More concerned about tracking the stock market so he can make money by buying more stocks as the economy plummets
Actually, this could describe more than a few posters in ERA's market threads.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
A dude at my work has been ranting about how the virus isn't even real, it's just made up so they can force everbody to get a vaccine so they can microchip us. He assures me that he will NOT be getting any sort if microchip vaccine. He is 35 btw
"WhErE aRe tHe dEaD bOdiEs?!"

people piss me off

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
In Ohio, I overheard an old guy say that the virus was created in the 70s, and the Clintons released it to harm Trump.

About a day later, I heard another person repeat that same theory. These people are lost to madness.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I've got family from Phoenix currently snapping pics in downtown Chicago because, "The airlines prices are cheap, and we won't have to deal with anyone else, let's go find some deep dish and get a discount because they'll be desperate for business."

Then by looking at the pictures it seems some of our family from Indiana has joined them in their stupid escapades.

Meanwhile, the McKnight household is at home on day 7 of SQ because I'm high risk if I get covid-19. I really cannot wait to not see my family any time soon.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking lately that the only hope for the US is that some benign version of the "deep state" exists. Like some collective institutional knowledge about how to keep shit running among the vast numbers of government workers that can survive the absolute worst people being elected.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
They can go fuck themselves. My heart surgery scheduled for this Friday has been delayed because it's likely not safe for me to be there and also so they can focus on Covid-19 patients. Those people are gonna not listen, they're gonna get sick and I'm gonna have to wait even longer for my heart valve to finally break and put me in heart failure, and then I'll be even worse than I am now. I have to hide even more than everyone else. I am struggling with empathy for the uninformed and it's very difficult. That's my ICU bed. That's my OR. That's my ventilator.

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to think. I do have a sinking feeling that it's younger people who will eventually pay the most price here long term, to potentially save the lives of a bunch of old people. And it's those older people who don't seem to worry about this more than the young, ironically, in my experience.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
am i the only one who feels like there's a bit of a racist undercurrent to the fact that most of america didn't seem to take this seriously til it got bad in italy?
this was going on in china for a long time, but suddenly italy is shut down and we pay attention because they're white
Its not racist, the message from our government and even the media was kind of confusing.

I kept thinking it must be pretty serious if they are shutting down factories in China but then our government and most governments were doing jack shit until last week so even I was not really sure how serious it was going to be. I had a misplaced trust in our government and media that if it was really serious they would told me or done something more to protect all of us.

To me I learned that our government and media are totally incompetent and ill suited to deal with real problems. Hopefully we learn something from this so when the next disaster strikes we are better prepared for it.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's sort of fascinating watching each country do the same mistake one after the other.

At least US residents have the excuse of a government that continually downplayed the threat for weeks.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
With things rapidly evolving I think it's worth noting that this poll was taken on Mar 13-14. People's opinions have changed drastically (although not enough) since then. There was a big pivot point on the 16th with schools, restaurants, etc shutting down where personally I saw a lot of people change their tune.

Not discrediting what is a real problem and the theme they are trying to point out. But as with all reports the data should be looked at carefully and understood.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
In Ohio, I overheard an old guy say that the virus was created in the 70s, and the Clintons released it to harm Trump.

About a day later, I heard another person repeat that same theory. These people are lost to madness.

I had one person tell me it was invented by the Chinese to get back at us for killing NAFTA.

My brother told me it was invented by the Chinese just because

And someone else told me its just the flu because Corona is another word for flu.

All three of these dipshits (and yes, I'm including my brother in that) are hardcore Trump supporters.

You can't fix stupid.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
The stupidity of Americans is boundless. It's the one thing they are good at.
I get it, but on that note, we should probably stop calling it "stupidity" as that sounds like they lack agency.

Willful ignorance is not really stupidity, because it's not benign. It's malicious. They use it as a cudgel. This is full-blown anti-intellectualism. Antagonize the experts, falsely equate knowledge with opinion, and poison civil discourse with weaponized fallacies. That's not "stupidity". These people aren't helpless. They have unbiased information at their fingertips like at no other point in history but are choosing to manipulate their own perception of reality to feed their own egos. Whenever given the choice between facts that would force them to say "I was wrong" or just blame others, they OPT for the latter. And that is how their ignorance sustains itself, for no reason other than petty convenience.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
What's wrong with Anericans? Why must everything be divided by party lines? Do Democrats and Republicans even buy the same brands of cereals?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with Anericans? Why must everything be divided by party lines? Do Democrats and Republicans even buy the same brands of cereals?

The GOP realized compromise and cooperation is a shitty way to get things done. Lying and breaking all the rules is much more effective. And since the GOP serve rich people who aren't hurt by any of the downsides they don't lose anything.