• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. I liked the old GoW games when they came out, but they are a square square triangle mash fest for 99% of the game. I found the latest one more interesting.
I feel like the square square triangle stuff was always overblown on the old games (outside of Ascension where they basically made mashing square the main viable option) as long as you play them on Hard or higher.
I'm only a bit into GoW2018 just did the dark elf place and got the light arrows and I'm back at the lake. More specifically I've gone into those caves with the series of fights where you find the ghost of the person whose son stabbed him at a coffin, but the combat doesn't seem much more complex or engaging than the old games up to now.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
GoW3 was one of the best games of last generation for me and really loved it, but months ago I wanted to play it again and couldn't enjoy it like before. I always was a fan of classic GoW games, but now I prefer everything in GoW 2018 (except boss fights).

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I still think the original game is pretty much a perfect action game.
The encounters are great, they nailed the combat system, and the story actually works really well as a new Greek tragedy. It's way more lean and well paced than the other games.
People really undersell the first game especially the story which has a good greek myth air about it. Man asks the gods for help to defeat his enemies and the god play a cruel joke on him where the power corrupts him into a killing machine so much that he kills his family. He becomes known as a ghost because his skin is white from the ashes of his family. His revenge brings him no solace so he throws himself off a cliff to kill himself.

The combat is sharp and responsive. When you get the flow of combat you can continuously attack with parries pretty much. It is the power of the blades and rage of the character through gameplay.

I didn't find the 2nd as good. Parries were gone slowing the gameplay way down. The story was angry man being an asshole just because.

Oct 27, 2017
The old GoW games were fun to play.

The latest was Sad Dad & Son: The Walking Dad with pointless loot and RPG elements. Not really a bad game, but not as fun to play as beating the shit out of everything in the old games.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There were a lot more options, but just like with the square square triangle from the old games, I found myself mainly relying on shock arrows + executioners cleave for nearly every encounter here.
The cleave may deal a lot of damage but it's not the only attack one can utilize. I did it as often as I could I won't lie, but still the amount of attack types is far greater than the older titles if you discard the cleave. The older titles felt more like buttonmashing.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

You're right

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Yeah.

The originals are gamey games.

2018 follows the same Game of the Year AAA template that is common with Sony's 1st party.

The latest was Sad Dad & Son: The Walking Dad with pointless loot and RPG elements. Not really a bad game, but not as fun to play as beating the shit out of everything in the old games.

nailed it, I laughed out loud when the fucking gear screen came up

the idea of Kratos wearing gear is hilarious

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah for sure, it definitely was time to change it up. I just hope Ragnorak fixes some of the issues I had with this game, better balances the old with the new (for example, I would like to be able to jump and have some light platforming sections) and make the game more fun to replay.
Yes Ragnorak needs more bosses like the original and I'd like a jump button. Better pacing is always a good thing regardless of style of play or genre.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I first played the old GoW games via the PS3 collection in preparation to GoW3 and found them... OK-ish at best? I liked GoW2 more than the original (it ends on an amazing cliffhanger), but I found them average and while GoW3 looked amazing, it really wasn't anything to write home for me. And Kratos, really became annoying by the end.

GoW2018 tho? Woof, one of the GotG for me.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I like GoW 2018 way more than any of the originals, in particular because I kind of hate original Kratos and I like what they did with him and the character work in the new game, but I will acknowledge that those original games are snappy and easy to pick up, and GoW 2018 is kind of a heavy, lumbering beast that you really have to sink into.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. They were great. And still are. But after 6 games with the same combat, it was time to change a few things. And they did. God of War 2018 is a masterpiece.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah.

The originals are gamey games.

2018 follows the same Game of the Year AAA template that is common with Sony's 1st party.

I don't necessarily agree about the Sony 1st party part, but to me it was a great represantation about everything that's wrong with modern AAA games. Especially when we're talking about a new game in a well known or highly praised franchise that had it's latest release last gen (most games had no forced crafting/loot/RPG mechanics back then).

I swear I was fucking anxious and tense when I saw that boat in the main menu of TLOUp2. I was sure that there's going to be a hub area or semi-open world you have to traverse by boat. It was my biggest fear about it all along.

Well said. *slow clap*

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I enjoyed the first quarter of God of War 2018, but the gameplay got tiresome after a while and Kratos acting like a generic tough guy to his son got stale real quick. Not every game has to turn into a third person story driven "masterpiece". I can't wait to replay God of War 3 Remastered on PS5, but I'm probably never going to touch God of War Ragnarok or whatever it's going to be called.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Initially i was fine without jump button in the new one, but honestly i want it back for Ragnarok. Allows a better and more interesting leveldesign.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Old God of Wars weren't DMC levels of deep but they were fun and had amazing spectacle that the new game lacked
Exactly my feelings. Somehow I got bored towards the end of the new one. It just wasn't my thing. Though combat was deep the encounters felt boring. And it barely had any bosses compared to the previous ones.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree. The combat in the old games is dull. Square Square Square, plus the occasional triangle. Those games punished extending beyond the basic combo.

Plus the added misogyny and depravity of the violence is just too much for me today.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I don't necessarily agree about the Sony 1st party part, but to me it was a great represantation about everything that's wrong with modern AAA games. Especially when we're talking about a new game in a well known or highly praised franchise that had it's latest release last gen (most games had no forced crafting/loot/RPG mechanics back then).

I swear I was fucking anxious and tense when I saw that boat in the main menu of TLOUp2. I was sure that there's going to be a hub area or semi-open world you have to traverse by boat. It was my biggest fear about it all along.

Well said. *slow clap*

yeah, it's not a sony problem, it's a big AAA problem- adding lots of shit to increase the length you play

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. GOW2018 is a slow, ploddding game that takes too long to get to any point where you can do anything fun.

This is a common problem with Sony AAA games these days - they're so focused on their storytelling, which is wonderful on a first playthrough. But the second you've finished the story, it's like "why would I ever do this again?" You have to redo all the slow, plodding sections with no actual gameplay why they retell you a story you already experienced.\

Most of these games just aren't designed around replayability AT ALL.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
GOW 2018 was maybe the most disappointed I've been with a game proportionate to my hype for its release. I adore Norse mythology and loved the old GOW games and was more than ready for a more seriously toned take on Kratos and his story, and while the beginning of the game was very strong with the first Baldur fight I feel they didn't have nearly as many highs throughout to compete with the strength of the intro.

Fights in turn felt more repetitive and grindy as a result with the lack of set pieces, and I didn't feel like the environmental design was varied enough outside of Alfheim. Many of the explorable areas in the main hub run together in my memory aside from where you meet Freya.

I get they were trying to go with a more restrained approach and wasn't expecting the insanity of GOW 3 but they still could've added more variety like more unique enemies and bosses, instead of the umpteenth slightly differently modeled/colored troll.

I was expecting more of a sense of grand adventure and while the mountain ascent was great at telegraphing the feel of a journey across a wide area a lot of the other regions felt either too samey throughout and left me with an impression of not really doing much or exploring a real sense of place. The main point being the individual areas could've had more unique landmarks, encounters, puzzles, etc. Because of this it kinda felt like playing a 360/PS3 game with a next gen coat of paint.

Hopefully the sequel is broader in scope and with more visual variety not only for enemies but environments as well.

Nov 21, 2018
AGREED wholeheartedly I replayed god of war 1-3 multiple times and have no desire to pick up 2018 god of war and its doubtful I'll pick up ragnorak unless they improve on the game feeling like a slog to play at times

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Fair enough, though I had - and still have - zero interest to play the others. The modern one was immediately interesting and I thought it provided a compelling narrative adventure with a lot of heart, emotion and enjoyable gameplay. I'm glad both exist, as this way we've both found something to like in the IP.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
To each their own, but I replayed 2018 and GOW3 this year. I finished 2018 and it was better than I remembered. Couldn't bring myself to finish 3. i love the original series, but 2018 is so much better. People want the old games, fine you can still got play then, but Ascension proved we don't need more of them. We had 6 games in the old style. Y'all didn't get burned out on that formula?

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Slinging around those wet noodles with enemies that barely react to anything never felt good to me :(.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. God of War did not need health bars, loot or stats. The handycam cutscenes were also dumb. Recently played Ghost of Sparta and it's so much more fun than anything 2018 had to offer.

OP
OP
TheSpaceBetween
Jan 11, 2018
People really undersell the first game especially the story which has a good greek myth air about it. Man asks the gods for help to defeat his enemies and the god play a cruel joke on him where the power corrupts him into a killing machine so much that he kills his family. He becomes known as a ghost because his skin is white from the ashes of his family. His revenge brings him no solace so he throws himself off a cliff to kill himself.

The combat is sharp and responsive. When you get the flow of combat you can continuously attack with parries pretty much. It is the power of the blades and rage of the character through gameplay.

I didn't find the 2nd as good. Parries were gone slowing the gameplay way down. The story was angry man being an asshole just because.

The first is my favorite in the series though I loved 2 as well. But I find it weird that many find GOW 2 the best in the series yet it was the game that made Kratos and irredeemable POS that they loved to complain about. In the first game you can actually sympathize with him.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
People really undersell the first game especially the story which has a good greek myth air about it. Man asks the gods for help to defeat his enemies and the god play a cruel joke on him where the power corrupts him into a killing machine so much that he kills his family.
If there is anything that's interesting about god of wars story, it's that how we see with our own human eyes the events that play out and yet even know that's not what happened, people remember it that way just because Kratos frames it that way. It's like that thing about Joker's multiple back stories, except we believe him when he lies.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
If there is anything that's interesting about god of wars story, it's that how we see with our own human eyes the events that play out and yet even know that's not what happened, people remember it that way just because Kratos frames it that way. It's like that thing about Joker's multiple back stories, except we believe him when he lies.
Doesn't he go into the temple and slaughter everyone in a bloodlust?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Idk man, I've replayed the new one like three times now. Never did that with the old ones.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Sure he did. But that wasn't the gods. That was just him. He wasn't made into a killing machine by the gods, Ares choose him because he already was a killing machine.
Yea that's what I said. But yes Ares kinda did make him a killing machine, he gave him a super weapon forged in Tartarus lol

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's what I said. But yes Ares kinda did make him a killing machine, he gave him a super weapon forged in Tartarus lol
Eh. Plenty of people in this world have special super weapons. The Blades of Chaos are sometimes treated as special, but I have to wonder how special they are if apparently various gods make their own mass produced versions of them (Blades of Athena and Blades of Exile, even arguably Nemesis Whip is another take on them) that function almost the same. But no, he was already a mass murderer who went out of his way to kill people before Ares. Like, the scenerio happened because the Barbarian King was the one time Kratos stepped on his own dick and picked a fight with someone who he couldn't beat, but that was after hundreds and hundreds of battles he pursued that he didn't have to. And he obviously had his godly powers doing that.

What Ares did is have Kratos select his targets more towards his agenda. So rather than him murdering people because Kratos couldn't think of what else to do on a tuesday night, he was just following Ares directions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found 2018 very disappointing myself. It's a good game, sure, but it's a far cry from as fun and satisfying to play as the originals. I played every game over and over on every difficulty and still revisit them. GoW 2018 was a one and done.

Oct 28, 2017
I will absolutely never touch God of War 2018 ever again. Fuck the loot. Fuck the menus. Fuck the RPG bullshit. Fuck the slog. It's overly long. Why would myself through that again? The combat is solid but there's just so much.....ew. I felt that on the first playthrough I don't want that again. I don't hate the game it was good but it was also a slog I wouldn't want to experience again.

Any other God of War? Hell yeah I'll play that again. Easy to pick up and play. Fun. Just as much cinematic flair as the new one but without the slog. Reasonable length none of them outstay their welcome. They're very easily digestible and very replayable. All 6 of them.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trilogy probably does have more replayability, but GoW 2018 is a much better, more enjoyable experience the first time through.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I actually got bored playing the older games now. Kinda because they didn't give me much to care about what's happening.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I agree. I do like the older games, but they're much shorter, and I don't think their gameplay has enough depth to hold it for its duration.

Also, I don't think any of them are going for replayability, but if they were.... well at least God of War 2018 has various 'builds' you can feed into. New game plus brings lots of variety to the game that your first playthrough would have lacked, letting you see encounters with a new perspective and strategy.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It helps there's a lot less back & forth with old GOW. When you beat the game and start going for valkyries & such, the flaws of the "one shot camera" start to stick out as you go through numerous corridors and rooms just to keep up that aesthetic & hide load times.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I 100% agree. I think the story told in God of War 2018 was the best yet, but I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay of 1-3 a lot more.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna agree. The production value and story of 2018 was a masterpiece, but as a GAME, the old ones were definitely more fun.