• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Pride Month should be on December. I would love to see religious people losing their mind that the world celebrates queer people on the same month as christmas
Imagine all the fun you could have with gay candles and gay eggnog and gay turkey, how do we make this happen

Oct 26, 2017
UK

okay, I had the same reaction at first, but I'm hoping the intended sentiment is that the moderator in question is the one being political/religious

Sorry for being unclear, that was 100% my point. Gender identity isn't inherently a 'political' or religious matter as it's human biology, claiming gender identity isn't a matter of human biology is what's the 'political' or religious matter.

Basically the moderators probably a dipshit who wants to claim that science isn't political whilst actively denying science due to his political (bigoted) beliefs or in fear of the political (bigoted) beliefs of others.

Nov 1, 2017
It's so sad that we seemingly can't even have this: A single month where queer people can celebrate one another and our achievements without so many people taking issue with it or outright silencing us. This is of course the time when a lot of those company logos get rainbow colours and even something as simple as that has people in up arms. And i'm entirely unsurprised. For as far as we have come in terms of changing people's attitudes, not to mention laws that try to suppress our entire existence there is still so much pushback for such a simple a thing as say equality, or acceptance. Some people have it, and those that do for some reason do not want to share. And to try and dress up simple bigotry with buzzwords like "political" is such nonsense. This is our life, we just want to fucking live it, most of us are not trying to be political.

It feels like this forum mostly leans to the left in terms of it being an accepting place where people can express themselves which is great, or maybe some of you are just good at hiding your feelings. Either way, for the straight cis people who read this or those that secretly (or not so secretly) get their panties in a bunch over Pride month, I'd like you to imagine for a moment what it might feel like for your entire existence to be vilified. To watch your mannerisms when in public so as to not appear too much like an "other". To read about people just like you who are being imprisoned, beaten, tortured, oppressed. To have well liked and respected public figures denounce who you are purely because of who you love. To be denied the same rights at others. To be verbally and physically attacked, not because you were being a dick but for something entirely out of your control. For being too scared to hold your partner's hand in public because you can't be certain that it is safe to do so.

Imagine this, then imagine this happening for your entire adult life. Imagine what that does to a person. The mental weight of that sustained, continual form of oppression bearing down on you constantly. It is fucking hard. But somehow, you find a way to deal with it and you become tough as a result of it. Every single LGBTQ+ person who has to fight their way through life is a god damned hero, so you know what? Just let us have this one fucking month to celebrate ourselves and stop being such pieces of shit about the concept. Thanks!

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
It's so sad that we seemingly can't even have this: A single month where queer people can celebrate one another and our achievements without so many people taking issue with it or outright silencing us. This is of course the time when a lot of those company logos get rainbow colours and even something as simple as that has people in up arms. And i'm entirely unsurprised. For as far as we have come in terms of changing people's attitudes, not to mention laws that try to suppress our entire existence there is still so much pushback for such a simple a thing as say equality, or acceptance. Some people have it, and those that do for some reason do not want to share. And to try and dress up simple bigotry with buzzwords like "political" is such nonsense. This is our life, we just want to fucking live it, most of us are not trying to be political.

It feels like this forum mostly leans to the left in terms of it being an accepting place where people can express themselves which is great, or maybe some of you are just good at hiding your feelings. Either way, for the straight cis people who read this or those that secretly (or not so secretly) get their panties in a bunch over Pride month, I'd like you to imagine for a moment what it might feel like for your entire existence to be vilified. To watch your mannerisms when in public so as to not appear too much like an "other". To read about people just like you who are being imprisoned, beaten, tortured, oppressed. To have well liked and respected public figures denounce who you are purely because of who you love. To be denied the same rights at others. To be verbally and physically attacked, not because you were being a dick but for something entirely out of your control. For being too scared to hold your partner's hand in public because you can't be certain that it is safe to do so.

Imagine this, then imagine this happening for your entire adult life. Imagine what that does to a person. The mental weight of that sustained, continual form of oppression bearing down on you constantly. It is fucking hard. But somehow, you find a way to deal with it and you become tough as a result of it. Every single LGBTQ+ person who has to fight their way through life is a god damned hero, so you know what? Just let us have this one fucking month to celebrate ourselves and stop being such pieces of shit about the concept. Thanks!

Well said. Thanks for posting this. :)

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Literally fighting God at the end of every JRPG = I Sleep
Pride Month = REAL SHIT

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Sorry for being unclear, that was 100% my point. Gender identity isn't inherently a 'political' or religious matter as it's human biology, claiming gender identity isn't a matter of human biology is what's the 'political' or religious matter.

Basically the moderators probably a dipshit who wants to claim that science isn't political whilst actively denying science due to his political (bigoted) beliefs or in fear of the political (bigoted) beliefs of others.
Ohhh, now I see how your post was meant to be read. No probs.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I don't know if this was their thought process but some people are pretty uninvested in what's going on in the world, and so eager to avoid any kind of controversy or conflict that they try to avoid discussing or taking a stand on anything that's remotely considered a "hot button issue", even if it means they end up doing stupid shit like this. It's pretty spineless, and either way regardless of this motivation this was a dick move.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
"both political and religious in nature to discuss"

No, bullshit, fuck off. These are people. Living human beings. They exist. It's a fact like how the Earth itself exists. No fucking discussion about it.

Fucking hell....

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Straight from the forum's rules:

1.2 Do NOT discuss religion, politics or nationalism (nationalism is defined as discussions about why one country/nation is better than others or why a country/nation is bad) outside the scope of game development.

My highlight. That moderator should be reprimanded for trying to silence someone wanting to talk about their characters.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Straight from the forum's rules:

My highlight. That moderator should be reprimanded for trying to silence someone wanting to talk about their characters.

Good catch. That limitation aside though, 'Queer people exist' shouldn't be ruled as a political or religious statement to begin with. It's just a fact.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Good catch. That limitation aside though, 'Gay people exist' shouldn't be ruled as a political or religious statement to begin with. It's just a fact.
It's extremely stupid that mods have carte blanche to remove any content related to queer people on the grounds of political and/or religious subject. The reality is that homosexuality is viewed as political (and by that they usually mean polemic and divisive) due to heterosexuality being the norm. The fact they cite "religion" makes me think they also see talking about LGBTQ+ subject as potentially corrupting or damaging to children. I see that as a lack of diversity in their moderator's team.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
That's a hell of a thing to write considering the genre they're working in.

Fuck that nonsense response.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
No religion or politics please, now let's get back to talking about the stories we're making like when you fight the lord over his hoarding of wealth in the nobles' quarter and abandoning the slums, then you find out the pope is really pulling the strings and he's a dogmatic bastard who only cares about following scripture and revelation without any concern for the well-being of the people, and then the part where the party decides in the end to fight god because he's a dick. LGBT people exist? Woah woah woah let's not get religious or political here.

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
Yikes!

I've seen bigots pull the "gender identity is political" bullshit before, but "gender identity is religious"??? That's so far out there I actually started laughing reading their response. What a load of horseshit.

Sorry you have to deal with garbage like this OP. Hopefully, with the added awareness, this story takes a positive turn down the road.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
No religion or politics please, now let's get back to talking about the stories we're making like when you fight the lord over his hoarding of wealth in the nobles' quarter and abandoning the slums, then you find out the pope is really pulling the strings and he's a dogmatic bastard who only cares about following scripture and revelation without any concern for the well-being of the people, and then the part where the party decides in the end to fight god because he's a dick. LGBT people exist? Woah woah woah let's not get religious or political here.
Ah but see that's just part of the game, whereas character genders are nothing to do with the game

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Was that a mod or admin?

I'm not even sure what relevance that stupid reply has asa reasoning for taking down your update. Obviously a shitty person, but also kind of bizarre at the same time.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Thank you for pointing this out. I've had mixed feelings about this since I've seen that tweet last night and it's frustrating as hell how the forum handles "political issues" with people not being allowed to mention queer pride, their ethnicity in some cases, or just general conversations about what's going on in the world right now. They use the excuse that it's a Official company forum and that it's for ages 13+, but then allow people to call others oversensitive SJWs, talk about "ethics in journalism", and occasionally use the antisemitic echo sign. It's frustrating to have seen some of that shit slip into the community over the pass several years, but not being able do much because as OP said there's just not a lot of openly queer people or POCs to complain about it. Hopefully this will grab their attention and they'll address it soon.

Their team responds
OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
An update on the situation. Their Twitter representative reached out to me via my tweet, and I have provided them with the information I had.

Meanwhile, one of their global mods seems to question the authenticity of my claims...? I have posted a full screenshot in response as they left me no choice.

The team apologizes
OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Another update: After feeling myself under fire for a brief moment when it was alleged that I faked the status message by one of their moderators, they did some more thorough digging and uncovered that this was in fact a targeted deletion. They have since posted an apology and vow to take measures, which remains to be seen.

I want to thank everyone for helping me bring this to their attention, and sincerely hope the moderator will get his due judgement. I'll keep an eye on that for sure.

Last edited:

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Glad to see that they apologized and I hope the moderator who did it gets removed, bigotry in developer communities, even hobbyist ones, is particularly awful to me, it's already a place where people are sharing their work, which can be a very personal thing, so being attacked for who you are can be a very damaging thing.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on them for acknowledging the mistake and apologizing. Hopefully they give their moderation team a good hard look to weed out bigots.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

"Tries to portrait". Go fuck yourself.

"We don't do this thing that we actually just did, and if someone does, you can talk to me so I can call you a liar".

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A good response as long as they follow through. Obviously you want to vet mods, but I imagine that can be very difficult and it's easy for bad eggs like this to fall through the cracks at times
Edit: or maybe not given the above post