• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
alright i'm looking for a video that i saw a long time ago

i believe they are portuguese soccer reporters and they begin to get into a loud shouting match on tv. the heavier guy keeps repeating the same word/name and there is a bunch of arguments

any help?

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I'm going to throw this out there and see if anyone can help me. I accidently broke my wife's favorite Tervis cup (we got at Leinenkugel's in Wisconsin). I feel really bad about it, and I want to try and replace it. Long story short, it hasn't been sold in a long time. However, Tervis has a create your own cup tool on their website and if I had the right graphic I can do it.

I found it online...sort of. It's this:
MILLER-1903B-HEPCAT-LOLI-1-1400x875-1.jpg

It's the logo in the middle, however it's not centered so it would look off if I used that. I did a lot of google searching but I can't find this exact design. If anyone has this hat or the Tervis or anything else with the design, I would greatly appreciate if you took a minute to take a centered picture and upload it for me.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
If one makes less bowel movements than others, or makes less when changing diets, should that be taken as a sign that their body is absorbing more / wasting less of their intake?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These new thread tags - was there somewhere where a Mod introduced the changes to explain how to use them/sort them/add or remove them from your thread and so on?
Not yet; they mentioned making an official introduction of the feature "soon", so there might be in the future.
In the US, is it ok to get drunk and drive an electric wheelchair on the sidewalk?
I don't believe a federal law addresses this, so it depends very much on the state/county/city.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Why can I eat several slices of cheesecake just fine but icecream or more specifically a parfait gives me a migraine? I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant but I don't get why cheesecake has little effect on me. Not that I'm complaining, I love cheesecake.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the US, is it ok to get drunk and drive an electric wheelchair on the sidewalk?

You can't really say what the case is in the entire US, but most places prohibit operation of a moving vehicle while intoxicated. You aren't allowed to ride a bike drunk. I've seen those electric wheelchairs move pretty fast so I'd think they would fall under the same restrictions.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
You can't really say what the case is in the entire US, but most places prohibit operation of a moving vehicle while intoxicated. You aren't allowed to ride a bike drunk. I've seen those electric wheelchairs move pretty fast so I'd think they would fall under the same restrictions.

That's a bummer. I get the reasoning, but that means people who are confined to electric wheelchairs can't go to bars and get smashed. Or maybe they could just prep their bar hopping non-electric chair and make sure one of their pals will watch them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Why can I eat several slices of cheesecake just fine but icecream or more specifically a parfait gives me a migraine? I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant but I don't get why cheesecake has little effect on me. Not that I'm complaining, I love cheesecake.
I think it's because iced desserts can give you brain freeze which in turn makes you more susceptible to having a migraine attack.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because iced desserts can give you brain freeze which in turn makes you more susceptible to having a migraine attack.

Maybe but a parfait isn't particularly more cold than cheesecake. I asked because I made some parfait with the left over heavy cream while making a cheesecake and it knocked me out.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ViSOwPY.png

What does the R on the WiFi symbol mean? I was away for a week and this showed up on my home WiFi when I came back

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How would you translate:
Wholesale discount is 50% off the retail price for a minimum of only $3,000 USD.

How much money would you expect to pay in order to get 50% discount? Pay $1,500 for $3,000 of product or pay $3,000 for $6,000 of product?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How would you translate:
Wholesale discount is 50% off the retail price for a minimum of only $3,000 USD.

How much money would you expect to pay in order to get 50% discount? Pay $1,500 for $3,000 of product or pay $3,000 for $6,000 of product?
I'd assume the promotion doesn't apply to anything with an MSRP under $3k actually

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
How would you translate:

I'd assume that if the total cost is $3000 then you get it for half that price i.e. you'd pay $1500.

However the 'only' could infer that the $3000 is what the customer has to spend so they'd have to purchase a minimum of $6000 of stock and pay $3000 for it.

So basically, could be either!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
ViSOwPY.png

What does the R on the WiFi symbol mean? I was away for a week and this showed up on my home WiFi when I came back
It means your connection is roaming i.e. you may not be connected to your usual suppliers network. You often get it on holiday when you're in another country.

You might want to check if your provider has roaming charges as they can be expensive.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
It means your connection is roaming i.e. you may not be connected to your usual suppliers network. You often get it on holiday when you're in another country.

You might want to check if your provider has roaming charges as they can be expensive.
I thought this too, but it's odd that it's on the WiFi signal bar and not on the mobile/cellular bar. :s

Aya

I thought this too, but it's odd that it's on the WiFi signal bar and not on the mobile/cellular bar. :s

What if you switch to mobile, does it appear also there or just on Wi-Fi?

LE: Number45 if you are located in Germany I found a discussion on a similar issue because O2 and E-Plus are sharing their networks in some kind of national roaming thing. No wait, that's from 5 years ago 😂

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Our 5-year old will be doing virtual schooling this year. What laptop/computing hardware would be recommended? I know Chromebooks are popular but there are so many options.
You probably need to specify a bit more. Is it just going to be watching videos and making notes? Will they be using Google Docs? Is the school providing copies of Office 365?

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
You probably need to specify a bit more. Is it just going to be watching videos and making notes? Will they be using Google Docs? Is the school providing copies of Office 365?

We don't have details on that yet. They just announced virtual learning around 8pm last night. They're going to be doing Q&A zoom meetings in the next week or so. I just want to get an idea of what people here are using for their kids so I have some idea what to buy. I have some mild concern things are going to sell out or get price inflated as more schools announce their virtual school plans.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
We don't have details on that yet. They just announced virtual learning around 8pm last night. They're going to be doing Q&A zoom meetings in the next week or so. I just want to get an idea of what people here are using for their kids so I have some idea what to buy. I have some mild concern things are going to sell out or get price inflated as more schools announce their virtual school plans.
Our son just uses a cheap and cheerful Win 10 laptop. The school provides 365 to all pupils so we just downloaded that.

I'd have thought that for a 5yr old you won't be doing anything that'd be particularly demanding on a laptop so I'd just look at something on the low end that'll get them through the next few years.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Ok I have a a really dumb question so pardon my ignorance.

Can a book be remade? Like let's say someone wanted to do their own take on Jurassic Park (the book not the movie) is that possible?
When I was a kid I had the Jurassic Park junior novelization which was basically the movie beat-by-beat, same character deaths from the movie too (the Michael Crichton original novel had different deaths).

Like if Warner Bros. wanted to make Harry Potter novels based on their licensed movies could they?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I have a a really dumb question so pardon my ignorance.

Can a book be remade? Like let's say someone wanted to do their own take on Jurassic Park (the book not the movie) is that possible?
When I was a kid I had the Jurassic Park junior novelization which was basically the movie beat-by-beat, same character deaths from the movie too (the Michael Crichton original novel had different deaths).

Like if Warner Bros. wanted to make Harry Potter novels based on their licensed movies could they?
Once it enters Public Domain, yes.
In the USA, this happens automatically er....70 years after the author's death, I believe. Until further notice, we're all still waiting to see Disney's next move on this.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Once it enters Public Domain, yes.
In the USA, this happens automatically er....70 years after the author's death, I believe. Until further notice, we're all still waiting to see Disney's next move on this.
Yeah I figured that's why ppl keep talking about the great Gatsby but I'm really curious how it applies to movie versions of books turned back into books. (Lol like street fighter the movie: the video game)

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I figured that's why ppl keep talking about the great Gatsby but I'm really curious how it applies to movie versions of books turned back into books. (Lol like street fighter the movie: the video game)
Filmmakers have rights over the video, script rights exist in some manner. I'm not an expert on the movie industry and California has a lot of extra IP protection and Right to Publicity protection that isn't necessarily upheld in other 49 states or anywhere else.

But, the original copyright of the source material would still need to be taken into consideration. Making a novelization of a movie script is basically taking the movie's dates and using them to see when it enters Public Domain on top of the original book's rights.

I wouldn't even attempt it on any film since it's too new an industry and the law is adjusted too frequently. Just look at what happened with "Happy Birthday". No thanks. Stick to pre-1900 texts for rewrites, is my Non-IP attorney advice.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Hi y'all.
Got a stupid question: I want to connect my PS4 to the internet through a LAN cable (I'm currently using WIFi). There is something to have in mind before purchasing a LAN cable ? or are all compatible with the system ? I saw a lot of options, some expensive, some cheaper, etc. it's worth it to buy a more expensive one.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Hi y'all.
Got a stupid question: I want to connect my PS4 to the internet through a LAN cable (I'm currently using WIFi). There is something to have in mind before purchasing a LAN cable ? or are all compatible with the system ? I saw a lot of options, some expensive, some cheaper, etc. it's worth it to buy a more expensive one.
Depending on where it's running it might be worth buying one that's a bit more solid is it's going to be exposed to wear and tear. That aside though they're all much of a muchness. Also depends on how fast your broadband is as Cat5 only goes up to 100mb whereas Cat6 is up to 1gb.

You'll always get companies claiming that their cables are somehow special but they you end up with crap like this...

AeaVdM7F8DvvQIEUoHVmRpezqFn9uYI6dyGJlzEzlKAF6dgnofKUDZVPowPAXCoIzjQ847vQOwZrJ0fAMXU9PhKbu6BHuYj8pk0odvxQqnZluyVw9Q

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Depending on where it's running it might be worth buying one that's a bit more solid is it's going to be exposed to wear and tear. That aside though they're all much of a muchness. Also depends on how fast your broadband is as Cat5 only goes up to 100mb whereas Cat6 is up to 1gb.

You'll always get companies claiming that their cables are somehow special but they you end up with crap like this...

AeaVdM7F8DvvQIEUoHVmRpezqFn9uYI6dyGJlzEzlKAF6dgnofKUDZVPowPAXCoIzjQ847vQOwZrJ0fAMXU9PhKbu6BHuYj8pk0odvxQqnZluyVw9Q
Thanks a lot for the reply !

bought a cheaper one, I'm not online games guy, but I'm sure it will improve my experience playing with a LAN cable instead of wi fi

Oct 25, 2017
El Centro, CA
So.......I have a question that may be stupid. At what point did films start to look "modern"? I'm currently watching Bird on a Wire (1990), which besides Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn, also stars David Carridine in a small supporting role. Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 came out in 2003 and 2004 respectively. I'm going to use the year 2003 as the release year for both flicks, since they were filmed as basically one whole movie and split later. So that leaves a gap of time of 13 years between Bird on a Wire and the release of Kill Bill, and 17 years between the releaser of Kill Bill and present day. HOWEVER, watching Bird on a Wire, it definitely looks like a late 80s, early 90s film. Kill Bill (both volumes) still seem to look modern day to me (whatever that means). Like they look like they were filmed semi-recently. Does that make sense?

On a side note, I've always felt Ghostbusters II looks wayyyy more recent than the year it was filmed (1989). Why is that? Apart from the clothing fashion and 80s vehicles, it looks like it was filmed within the last 10 years. Compare it to Ghostbusters (1984), and it does not look like it was filmed only 5 years later. I need answers!!!

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
How does getting verified work if you're sort of an insider, but not, but not a dev or part of the dev-sphere so to speak? Situation's not exactly complicated, but it's also not simple. I'm just a normal user who communicates with a dev (that, to my knowledge, and public knowledge, doesn't appear to communicate with much of anyone else). Should I ask for verification? Does it matter? Apologies, pretty brand new to being a user - long-time lurker though.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if it's possible to clean a bed that has nicotine stains/smells?

I've only tried leaving it under the sun but the smell is still there (not as bad as it was) but I'm wondering if there's a method to remove the smell without damaging the bed.

Or is it a lost cause and should I just throw it away?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
How does getting verified work if you're sort of an insider, but not, but not a dev or part of the dev-sphere so to speak? Situation's not exactly complicated, but it's also not simple. I'm just a normal user who communicates with a dev (that, to my knowledge, and public knowledge, doesn't appear to communicate with much of anyone else). Should I ask for verification? Does it matter? Apologies, pretty brand new to being a user - long-time lurker though.
You don't have to ask for verification. Verification asks for you!

Check your PMs :)

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the price and the obvious wired/wireless convenience difference, is there a difference between the wired and wireless version of the Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones? Looking to get a pair for my daughters 15th and I don't know whether to pay the extra £40 or so for the wireless version or whether I'd essentially be paying more for a worse version.

She doesn't have a preference either way (they'll be replacing a wired pair) but I'd like to get the wireless version if I'm not compromising anything else.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's a pungent smell emanating from possibly the attic what do i do