• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Two questions.

We are considering getting a (digital) piano for our home, but would want something both slim (thin rooms) and decorative/stylish in appearance. Surprisingly seems hard to find without going into the multiple thousands. Even then, I could only find one or two. Like the modus h01 and Roland kiyola. Anyone have any suggestions?

Second question:

I'm curious about getting into wood carving, but don't know how to get started. There are some pricey tool sets, but I don't want to put down a couple hundred bucks when I don't even know what I need. Anyone know more about getting started?

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Why do some members request to be banned?

Also, how do you get a title beside your avatar?
1. Very different reasons. I can imagine some, but I bet there are more: As a symbolic gesture, closing a chapter that used to be a part of their internet-life. Restraining themselves, when they spend more time posting than they would like and limiting yourself doesn't work/isn't enough.
2. Moderators have to give them to you. Sometimes they are given to someone in the context of a specific thread, like this one:
www.resetera.com

I trained an AI on tens of thousands of ResetEra post titles and discovered how the world ends

I work on developing AI text-generating software, so I figured I'd try it on almost all ResetEra Video Games section post titles and generate some new ones to see what happens, maybe even generate new ideas for future games/discussions. It develops some crazy titles, although there's a clear...
or more common is the context of an event or contest where they are given out as "rewards". "The Fallen" was the result of a bet in an Avengers endgame context (i think? didn't find the thread anymore), where the losing participants were banned for a month and also given the extra title. It's just a fun little thing, but nothing to strive for. Title begging is not appreciated.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I hear a whooshing sound from trucks some times and was wondering what it is. Pick up trucks that have been modded some how. Not coming from the exhaust necessarily but when it accelerates it intensifies.

It's not unpleasant but someone just drove by my house and made me wonder what it is. It's semi common and isn't a malfunction.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I hear a whooshing sound from trucks some times and was wondering what it is. Pick up trucks that have been modded some how. Not coming from the exhaust necessarily but when it accelerates it intensifies.

It's not unpleasant but someone just drove by my house and made me wonder what it is. It's semi common and isn't a malfunction.
I know it sounds obvious but it couldn't just be a turbo could it?

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here that uses a rice cooker? And if so, is it worth it? Does it change the flavor or texture of the rice in any way?

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's worth it and no it does not. Much easier to use than a pot on a stove.

Cheers fellow Fallen.

Follow-up question. Any reason why I shouldn't go for a cheap ass model? Also, many rice cooker seem to have massive capacity. Do you need to fill them up when you cook rice? Or can I throw in however little I want for a small single meal?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Cheers fellow Fallen.

Follow-up question. Any reason why I shouldn't go for a cheap ass model? Also, many rice cooker seem to have massive capacity. Do you need to fill them up when you cook rice? Or can I throw in however little I want for a small single meal?
go cheap. it's a simple machine, doesn't need to have many functions. I've put as little as 1/2 cup in. Definitely no need to fill it, that would be a ton of rice lol

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Been thinking about signing up for a VPN service. Mainly due to ill be traveling alot and i'd rather not use my smartphone on unprotected wifi spots.

Can you guys recommend a good one?

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone here that uses a rice cooker? And if so, is it worth it? Does it change the flavor or texture of the rice in any way?
To be fair I never even thought about getting one, but when I moved to the US my roommate wanted it, and now that he's left the states he left it behind. I honestly don't think I'd eat rice if it wasn't for that thing, it's so easy to setup, rice is always great and cleaning it super fast too.
I do think it changes the texture of the rice for me, but maybe it's because it does a good job at not overcooking it, while it's harder to always nail it in the same way when you cook manually in a pot.
So yeah, I'm very much recommending it lol

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
How come I can't change my email on here? When I click "change email" it prompts me to put in my password which I do but then nothing. Password is correct because the whole reason this started was because I got a new phone and I had to log in over there. ( on my laptop currently)

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
How come I can't change my email on here? When I click "change email" it prompts me to put in my password which I do but then nothing. Password is correct because the whole reason this started was because I got a new phone and I had to log in over there. ( on my laptop currently)
On the page where it asks for your password you need to put the email address that you want to change to - if you're only entering your password and not changing the email it's doing nothing because you're asking it to do nothing.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
There is a cartoon.

In it, a guy makes a bet to a circus clown.

He bets the clown that he can't make a balloon giraffe.

the clown makes a dog balloon...with his dick.

the guy scoffs and says that's not a giraffe.

the clown says....wait for it.

Clown gets erection, transforming the dog into a giraffe.

What is the name of this cartoon?

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
There is a cartoon.

In it, a guy makes a bet to a circus clown.

He bets the clown that he can't make a balloon giraffe.

the clown makes a dog balloon...with his dick.

the guy scoffs and says that's not a giraffe.

the clown says....wait for it.

Clown gets erection, transforming the dog into a giraffe.

What is the name of this cartoon?
Sounds like something Joan Cornellà would draw. But no, I don't know it. Is it in the same style? And just to be sure, what do you mean by cartoon: comic or a short film?

I would also like to know this
I tried answering here:
www.resetera.com

The Official " I Got a Question but It's Not Super Important" Thread

Two questions. We are considering getting a (digital) piano for our home, but would want something both slim (thin rooms) and decorative/stylish in appearance. Surprisingly seems hard to find without going into the multiple thousands. Even then, I could only find one or two. Like the modus...

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
1. Very different reasons. I can imagine some, but I bet there are more: As a symbolic gesture, closing a chapter that used to be a part of their internet-life. Restraining themselves, when they spend more time posting than they would like and limiting yourself doesn't work/isn't enough.
2. Moderators have to give them to you. Sometimes they are given to someone in the context of a specific thread, like this one:
www.resetera.com

I trained an AI on tens of thousands of ResetEra post titles and discovered how the world ends

I work on developing AI text-generating software, so I figured I'd try it on almost all ResetEra Video Games section post titles and generate some new ones to see what happens, maybe even generate new ideas for future games/discussions. It develops some crazy titles, although there's a clear...
or more common is the context of an event or contest where they are given out as "rewards". "The Fallen" was the result of a bet in an Avengers endgame context (i think? didn't find the thread anymore), where the losing participants were banned for a month and also given the extra title. It's just a fun little thing, but nothing to strive for. Title begging is not appreciated.
Oh I see. So it is kind of based on your reputation here, I guess.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see. So it is kind of based on your reputation here, I guess.
Kind of. It's also a sign for a community with its insider jokes and a shared history. The more time you spend here, the more you participate, the more you're gonna be able to link these sign to a story or a specific event. It's not only about the individual user, but the community. These sign and rituals can be confusing to people not part of it, they can be invisible, or they mark your (not literal) membership status when you see and understand them. It's basically the same with every community. Think of nicknames or memes.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Bowling for Columbine (which was amazing btw) and was wondering if all Canadians still leave their doors unlocked all the time!?

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I need some maths/odds help - if my success rate at picking winners in a soccer game is say 60%, what do the odds need to be for me to make a profit and how do I calculate that, thanks?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I leave my doors unlocked when I am at home (except at night). I live in Ottawa which has million people. While not everyone does that it's not rare either.
I do feel very safe where I live.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Ok dumb question, but I want to install a new shower curtain rod in my bathroom. The walls in the bathroom are standard bathroom walls (I guess drywall?). How should I go about installing the screws that come with the rod? Drill holes and then screw the screws in? Use a cordless drill directly on the screw without drilling a hole first? Use an impact driver What's the best way to do this?

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Ok dumb question, but I want to install a new shower curtain rod in my bathroom. The walls in the bathroom are standard bathroom walls (I guess drywall?). How should I go about installing the screws that come with the rod? Drill holes and then screw the screws in? Use a cordless drill directly on the screw without drilling a hole first? Use an impact driver What's the best way to do this?

There are two types, and from your post I'm assuming your ends are mounted with brackets and not secured via tension on the wall. Depending on the curtain rod type, you may need to attach one bracket, add the rod, then attach the final bracket, I've seen them without needing to do this as well. Depending on your bathroom layout it's likely your bathtub / shower is framed with studs especially if there is a corner. You can screw directly into this. If you are going straight into drywall, I recommended using a flush mounting anchor screw. It's basically a plastic screw you first put in the wall, and then you screw your mounting screw into that.

Honestly you can also get a handyman on taskrabbit, Facebook, or thumbtack and they could do it too.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Normally on plasterboard (which I think is the same thing) I'd use a rawlplug/screw anchor first. That'll sit tight in the hole and then the screw will just go straight into it.

However, as the pole will be attached to two walls you might be able to get away with just using the screws on their own. I'd test it with the screws first and if it doesn't feel like they'll hold for any length of time I'd get some screw anchors.

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
If you are installing a bracket on drywall, do a pilot hole first with a very small bit where the screws will end up. The pilot hole is to determine if there is a stud behind it or not.
In place where there is a stud, you don't need ancors. Typically you don't need to drill a bigger hole either, drywall is soft and the screw will self drill. Don't use impact driver.
If there is no stub, use ancors. There is various types. You might need to use the screws that are provided with the ancors. For something like this, some that do 'T' behind the wall would probably be better.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
If you are installing a bracket on drywall, do a pilot hole first with a very small bit where the screws will end up. The pilot hole is to determine if there is a stud behind it or not.
In place where there is a stud, you don't need ancors. Typically you don't need to drill a bigger hole either, drywall is soft and the screw will self drill. Don't use impact driver.
If there is no stub, use ancors. There is various types. You might need to use the screws that are provided with the ancors. For something like this, some that do 'T' behind the wall would probably be better.
Thanks guys.

If I remove the existing rod and it turns out the screws are installed straight into the wall without any anchors, would it be safe to assume I can do the same at the same spot?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
What's the best way, if there is one, to remote into a Windows 10 Home machine? Specifically from MacOS. I'm maybe willing to drop the $100 for Win10 Pro to do this but I'd rather not.

Also thanks to the advice above regarding the shower curtain rod. Finally replaced the old rusty shitty one with bits of plastic peeling off in my bathroom with a nice curved one.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had stains appear after machine washing something? Google seems inconclusive, don't think its oil or something leaking from machine. Thing is its only really happened on bed sheets, not my clothes, like this weird orangey color on some.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had stains appear after machine washing something? Google seems inconclusive, don't think its oil or something leaking from machine. Thing is its only really happened on bed sheets, not my clothes, like this weird orangey color on some.
Sure, if there's a lot of iron in the local water supply. They make special water softener products for hard water to help combat it.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017

A while ago some orange-brown mystery stains appeared on some of my clothes. Turns out the tags on my jeans give off color when wet.

m_5cc7e2cc16105d255d0f6fc3.jpeg

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Iron makes sense I suppose, can't do much about that though since I live in an apartment.

qDg61xV.jpg

Just odd that I've only seen it on pillowcases and sheets.

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
What's the best way, if there is one, to remote into a Windows 10 Home machine? Specifically from MacOS. I'm maybe willing to drop the $100 for Win10 Pro to do this but I'd rather not.

Also thanks to the advice above regarding the shower curtain rod. Finally replaced the old rusty shitty one with bits of plastic peeling off in my bathroom with a nice curved one.
Chrome Remote Desktop work well for me (and free). Don't have a Mac but I have Windows 10 machines. Apparently it works for MAC and Linus too.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For some time now tweets are only displayed cut off for me.
Is there some way to fix it? (I'm using Tampermonkey and Stylus... so maybe through that??)

W700gwv.png

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Iron makes sense I suppose, can't do much about that though since I live in an apartment.

qDg61xV.jpg

Just odd that I've only seen it on pillowcases and sheets.

Do you use fabric softener? That can cause these types of stains if your machine is a bit gunked up.

Try running your washer's cleaning cycle a few times through, and lay off the fabric softener for a while.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do manufacturers put speakers into big and expensive computer monitors? I've been looking for a new monitor for some time and noticed so many have shitty integrated speakers. Why do companies think that people who buy €1000+ monitors don't have any better audio setup and want those speakers? I really want to know where they got their market research for that. Have they ever commented on that decision? I would rather pay a couple of euros less to not have them.

My current cheapish LG monitor has only a headphone output, but even that sucks. Having to change the audio output after a fresh OS install, or when connecting it to a new computer (even if it happens very rarely), or misclicking on the settings knob and getting to the volume control (this actually happens from time to time), has actively made the user experience of it worse.

Last edited:

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Do you use fabric softener? That can cause these types of stains if your machine is a bit gunked up.

Try running your washer's cleaning cycle a few times through, and lay off the fabric softener for a while.
No, I've never used fabric softener but repeated washes don't remove the stains.

Another question for those that may be in the know, been collecting Jackie Chan films on Blu-ray for the last few years. Found most of the good ones but a few remain as illusive. Does Amazon remain as the only marketplace for kung-fu flicks? Seems crazy that you just cant seem to find some of these releases. Like the original Drunken Master on the north american region is hard to find. Who Am I is like 30 bucks, can't even find Dragons Forever and My Lucky Stars. Don't want to go to piracy cause that's not my thing.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Office365 specific question here.

I share my O365 home account with my parents (not sure how relevant that is). At the moment their account is using their current ISP email address and over the course of the next few weeks I'm going to be moving them away to a web mail account (to make it less painful if they switch again) - do you know if it's possible to change on O365 account that's registered with an external provider to using an outlook.com account? I don't see why it would be a problem, but I'm curious about the logistics of it all.

As they can use full Outlook thanks to my sub using an outlook.com address seemed sensible.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best mainstream way to send someone money through electronic means anonymously? (Not bitcoin, litecoin etc.) I'm tired of getting money orders lost in the mail so some direct solution would be best. But it has to be anonymous.