• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Heartburn... What can I drink/eat when it's there to counter the effects? Not considering pills, tablets or other drugs/medication.

Vegan here, so don't really know if almond/coconut milk will do the trick since cow milk does.

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Heartburn... What can I drink/eat when it's there.

Vegan here, so don't really know if almond/coconut milk will do the trick since cow milk does.

Are you overweight? I've had heartburn issues for about a year and a half. Turns out I have a hiatus hernia (which is apparently very common), and my weight was causing frequent heartburn issues. I've dropped about 15 pounds since finding this out, and my heartburn is far less frequent.

If you're having chronic heartburn issues, I would see a doctor.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Are you overweight? I've had heartburn issues for about a year and a half. Turns out I have a hiatus hernia (which is apparently very common), and my weight was causing frequent heartburn issues. I've dropped about 15 pounds since finding this out, and my heartburn is far less frequent.

If you're having chronic heartburn issues, I would see a doctor.
No, not at all. I'm super skinny, actually.

Talked to my doctor about it and he proposed smoking less, drinking less alcohol, drinking less coffee, etc... Still have 'em when none of these substances are in my body. I don't suffer from large amounts of stress either...

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I'm not gonna say that this isn't important in some fashion, but I am looking for advice and didn't think it was worth its own thread.

This is related to #MeToo. I don't intend this as a personal attack kind of thing; I just want to add another voice to the conversation in regards to how people in power try to use their influence to pressure others and provide an example of how not to act toward people who look up to you.

A friend of mine has spent a few years in the film industry, and has trusted me with a recording she made of a writer for some big U.S. talk shows making very direct and discomforting sexual advances toward her during a professional conversation. I have been given permission to edit this audio down and release it, but I'm somewhat at a loss as to how exactly I should go about this. I've been sitting on it for a few months now and first heard the recording years ago.

What I am asking is for anyone who might be interested in providing information or assistance of any kind to reach out to me with a PM. I would like to follow through with my intention to release this audio, but I would like to do it as formally/professionally/safely/legally as possible.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a non-spoiler Danganronpa V3 thread? because I didn't see any OT when I searched, but I wanted to ask if it's a good idea to play/watch the spinoff games/anime/novels before playing V3, like does it add context or make things make more sense? or is it completely unnecessary?

I had assumed I was fine having only played 1 and 2, but then the opening of the game has Ultra Despair Girls and Dangan 3 anime stuff in it which made me unsure.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If you add water to evaporated milk does that just make it milk? Does it taste like regular milk?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you add water to evaporated milk does that just make it milk? Does it taste like regular milk?
No, and no.
In theory, if you had UNsweetened evaporated milk, you could do that and it would taste the same.

Yet in practice, it's disgusting and wrong. Same with powdered milk. Also lots and lots of evaporated milk is sweetened, which changes the formula anyway. Evaporated milk is for making pudding.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want to ask some questions about toy trains, but I don't have the ability to post threads. Is there an existing community thread that might be appropriate for this?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
What retro console should I start collecting for? I already collect N64 and SNES.

Sega Saturn is harder to find, but commensurately the library of titles worth getting is smaller.

My question is: when you're out driving the interstate and see those abandoned cars, what's the deal with those? Why would anybody up and abandon their vehicle? If they had a breakdown, wouldn't you still get it towed? Even if you get someone to pick you up and take you away, you're just going to have to take the time to come back and get it towed later.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Is there anybody on ERA that lives in AZ?

i'm considering moving out there in the next year from new york and just wanted some advice from anyone who has moved there. I'll be moving by myself which is big for me but my GF does live there already so i won't be totally lonely.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
what's the difference between health insurance and life insurance?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want to ask some questions about toy trains, but I don't have the ability to post threads. Is there an existing community thread that might be appropriate for this?
If you have questions about actual models, I'll post it for you.

If you like HO, I take it back.

[nah, I think there was a thread for appreciating toys in general, but some train questions are so niche that I'd recommend its own.]
what's the difference between health insurance and life insurance?

Health insurance pays doctors and pharmacies when you use them. Like, getting a physical, or buying blood pressure medication.

Life insurance gives a lump sum of money to whoever you declare should get it, when you die.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heartburn... What can I drink/eat when it's there to counter the effects? Not considering pills, tablets or other drugs/medication.

Your best bet is just antacids. I know you mentioned no medication, but antacids aren't medication really. And they work, and they work fast.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not gonna say that this isn't important in some fashion, but I am looking for advice and didn't think it was worth its own thread.

This is related to #MeToo. I don't intend this as a personal attack kind of thing; I just want to add another voice to the conversation in regards to how people in power try to use their influence to pressure others and provide an example of how not to act toward people who look up to you.

A friend of mine has spent a few years in the film industry, and has trusted me with a recording she made of a writer for some big U.S. talk shows making very direct and discomforting sexual advances toward her during a professional conversation. I have been given permission to edit this audio down and release it, but I'm somewhat at a loss as to how exactly I should go about this. I've been sitting on it for a few months now and first heard the recording years ago.

What I am asking is for anyone who might be interested in providing information or assistance of any kind to reach out to me with a PM. I would like to follow through with my intention to release this audio, but I would like to do it as formally/professionally/safely/legally as possible.

If you want to professionally release it and expect no compensation then you would have to contact a major publication like NYT/Washington Post/etc. Then gather enough information for the publication to corroborate the identities of those on the tape, as they aren't going to run it just for the heck of it.

I've dealt with tabloid outlets before like TMZ in other areas and they will sensationalize the story; taking everyone's name through the mud for little compensation.

Contact a legitimate journalist that handle stories surrounding the #MeToo movement and go from there.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
If you have questions about actual models, I'll post it for you.

If you like HO, I take it back.

[nah, I think there was a thread for appreciating toys in general, but some train questions are so niche that I'd recommend its own.]

Health insurance pays doctors and pharmacies when you use them. Like, getting a physical, or buying blood pressure medication.

Life insurance gives a lump sum of money to whoever you declare should get it, when you die.
Thank you. And what does 401k play into life insurance?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. And what does 401k play into life insurance?
They don't have anything to do with each other.

401(k) is a retirement savings plan. It allows americans who are 21 years old and up to self contribute a certain amount of money per year [adjusted each year] in a tax deferred way. That is, the owner wouldn't pay income tax on the money [this year], but would pay income tax in the year it is taken in dispersement [say, 2050]. Presumably, one's income will be lower per year after retiring than while actively working, so therefore, the tax percentage rate would also be lower, therefore saving some tax money. The money is placed into, basically, the stock market.

A recipient is declared for a retirement plan, as to who would get the money if the owner dies, but that is not life insurance. It's just money in an untouchable account [although withdrawals CAN be made under certain circumstances, there are extra tax penalties if one does].

These sound like divorce questions.
Retirement plans are owned solely by the contributor. Each spouse, if filing jointly, could maintain their own IRA if their employer doesn't offer a retirement plan, also subject to the annual deferral limits, but that can be done through a bank or investment firm. If a divorce attorney is trying to portion money that is already in a retirement account, that sucks. Get your own attorney to detail all the info with you if so.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
Should I pull my stitches out?

There's just a few, but they've been in for a couple weeks and everything has been healed for awhile.

Edit: They're the kind that are supposed to dissolve. I've been trying to keep them wet since apparently that does it...

Last edited:

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Is it possible to bend your entire pinky finger without moving your ring finger? I can bend the knuckle joint and then the next one up but as soon as I go to close the top pinky finger joint, it makes my ring finger bend. Drives me nuts.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Should I pull my stitches out?

There's just a few, but they've been in for a couple weeks and everything has been healed for awhile.

Edit: They're the kind that are supposed to dissolve. I've been trying to keep them wet since apparently that does it...

If it's only been a couple of weeks I'd leave them as it's probably just superficially healed and could tear again. Anything serious enough to require stitches rather than a plaster (or band aid depending on where you're from!) will take a while to heal fully.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Odd as it sounds heartburn can actually be caused by too little stomach acid. I'm sure I've read that some people swear by drinking a little apple cider vinegar (neat or slightly diluted) if they start to get heartburn as it brings the acid level back up.

Beyond the usual suspects of juice, fizzy drinks and spicy food, as you're a vegan do you eat a lot of nuts? They often give people problems due to the high fat content.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got a surefire way to get rid of hiccups? I feel like whenever I have that problem and Google it, whatever is recommended doesn't work for me.

EDIT: Got some good answers but if you have one don't hesitate.

I just saw this, but Dan Ryckert of all people passed along some advice on a podcast with a trick that's worked amazingly well for me. When you have the hiccups, *tell* someone right before you're about to hiccup again. I haven't hiccup'd more than one time since I've heard that advice. It's incredible.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have anything to do with each other.

401(k) is a retirement savings plan. It allows americans who are 21 years old and up to self contribute a certain amount of money per year [adjusted each year] in a tax deferred way. That is, the owner wouldn't pay income tax on the money [this year], but would pay income tax in the year it is taken in dispersement [say, 2050]. Presumably, one's income will be lower per year after retiring than while actively working, so therefore, the tax percentage rate would also be lower, therefore saving some tax money. The money is placed into, basically, the stock market.

A recipient is declared for a retirement plan, as to who would get the money if the owner dies, but that is not life insurance. It's just money in an untouchable account [although withdrawals CAN be made under certain circumstances, there are extra tax penalties if one does].

These sound like divorce questions.
Retirement plans are owned solely by the contributor. Each spouse, if filing jointly, could maintain their own IRA if their employer doesn't offer a retirement plan, also subject to the annual deferral limits, but that can be done through a bank or investment firm. If a divorce attorney is trying to portion money that is already in a retirement account, that sucks. Get your own attorney to detail all the info with you if so.
Thank you

It's not a divorce thing. These are just things I should know

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw this, but Dan Ryckert of all people passed along some advice on a podcast with a trick that's worked amazingly well for me. When you have the hiccups, *tell* someone right before you're about to hiccup again. I haven't hiccup'd more than one time since I've heard that advice. It's incredible.

Damn that sounds funny. I'll try that.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Odd as it sounds heartburn can actually be caused by too little stomach acid. I'm sure I've read that some people swear by drinking a little apple cider vinegar (neat or slightly diluted) if they start to get heartburn as it brings the acid level back up.

Beyond the usual suspects of juice, fizzy drinks and spicy food, as you're a vegan do you eat a lot of nuts? They often give people problems due to the high fat content.

I do eat tons of nuts and other healthy fats to compensate. Lots of dried fruits too.

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the answers!

Last edited:

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ok....

Why are buttons on men's shirts sewn on the right hand side (when wearing) and women's on the left.

What devilry is this. Makes ironing my wife's shirts a nonsense endeavour. One persists but this is crazy!

appaws

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My wife is obsessed with the anime Yona of the Dawn, girl at the Blush of dawn or whatever it is. She has watched it multiple times...watches the OVAs, etc.

She also loves Fushigi Yuugi and Guilty Crown.

What other series should I tell her to watch?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok....

Why are buttons on men's shirts sewn on the right hand side (when wearing) and women's on the left.

What devilry is this. Makes ironing my wife's shirts a nonsense endeavour. One persists but this is crazy!
Because women used to be dressed by ladies maids, and 90% of humans are right-handed..
Certain fashion habits are literally this stupid.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
For a 3D shape how do you look up what the name is if you don't already know it? Is there a set of rules to follow to name it?

I've got two shapes I need to name, one is essentially a hexagonal prism if one of the bases was a triangle instead, obviously this defies the definition of prism, put another way it's a shape with 9 vertices, 11 faces (one of which is a hexagon the rest all triangles), and 18 sides.
The second shape also has 9 vertices, but 14 faces (all triangles), and 21 sides.

Obviously these aren't normal shapes, but if we have names for things like hendecahedron there has to be something I can call this.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Amtrak.

What's it like? Reliable? Punctual? Clean? Safe?

I'm planning a trip to the US later this year. I have some experience of getting around the US on my own via both internal flights and Greyhound, but it'll be the first time my other half has done so and I want her to have a good experience doing it. Certainly leaning more towards Amtrak than Greyhound on that basis.

For context, I'm British so our trains are routinely late, overly busy and usually scruffy. Also the last time I caught a Greyhound, there was a news story doing the rounds two weeks beforehand about a man having his head cut off on the back of one. My expectations are reasonably modest.