• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
When I get a YouTube ad how can I cost the advertiser the most money? Let it play all the way through? Click on it?

I've got some Trump, and right wing conspiracy things playing in the preroll recently.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I am not sure which season of "Better Call Saul" I have watched through, and I'm trying to find out without spoiling whatever comes next. This is what I last remember in the show:
- The lady lawyer was in a car crash
- Moscow Mules at a hotel bar
- Mike was on a sniper stakeout

I'm not sure if I'm up to season 2 or 3. Or maybe 4? It's been a while but I want to dip back in.

The lady lawyer (Kim) thing was episode 9 of season 3. Mike's thing was episode 10 of season 2. Dunno about the other one.
You should probably (re)watch episode 10 of season 3, if only to get back in the story.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a heavily drunk person cuts themself on a fence on the walk home and a nearby ant thereafter drinks the spilled blood, would the ant get drunk or die?

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My car was rear ended yesterday. The person who hit me just texted me asking for pictures of the of damage that was done to my car so they could show a family member. Should I ignore their request?

This is the first time I've been through this, and I was under the impression to let the insurance companies deal with everything.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
My car was rear ended yesterday. The person who hit me just texted me asking for pictures of the of damage that was done to my car so they could show a family member. Should I ignore their request?

This is the first time I've been through this, and I was under the impression to let the insurance companies deal with everything.
Assuming you're going through the insurers then just ignore it. They're probably thinking they can get a mate to do it but if you've already got the wheels in motion with them then it's too late. Besides which most insurers have a list of repair centres that have to be used.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Assuming you're going through the insurers then just ignore it. They're probably thinking they can get a mate to do it but if you've already got the wheels in motion with them then it's too late. Besides which most insurers have a list of repair centres that have to be used.

Appreciate the response! That's what I thought. I already set up a claim and am in the process of scheduling with a repair center provided by my insurance company.

Metroid

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, this is driving me insane, I am not a native speaker and I simply forgot:
There is a term for when something is much more expensive, but the benefit or quality of said item is only marginally higher. I think it was "something" of "something" but I can't really remember and it's driving me insane, since it's such an easy term.

Please Era, I read it here a lot, so help me out!!:)

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Alright, this is driving me insane, I am not a native speaker and I simply forgot:
There is a term for when something is much more expensive, but the benefit or quality of said item is only marginally higher. I think it was "something" of "something" but I can't really remember and it's driving me insane, since it's such an easy term.

Please Era, I read it here a lot, so help me out!!:)
Diminishing returns?
Over-priced?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London

This song reminds me of another song and it's driving me nuts since I can't think right now.

Freddie's vocal melody from 12 seconds in is similar to the song I'm thinking of.

Any ideas?

Edit: Got it.

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

Last edited:

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Been wanting to upgrade the RAM in my old PC for a while. Does this look like it would be a good fit with my Dell Inspiron 3847?

I've still got the stock 2x4GB sticks in it and it runs pretty much everything well enough separately, but I've found that Firefox is starting to use an exorbitant amount of memory and that makes World of Warships start to choke, so I was hoping doubling the memory would help. Never really heard of the brand, but the reviews seem to favor it, apart from the ubiquitous couple percent who I guess got the duds that every electronic component usually has.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting to upgrade the RAM in my old PC for a while. Does this look like it would be a good fit with my Dell Inspiron 3847?

I've still got the stock 2x4GB sticks in it and it runs pretty much everything well enough separately, but I've found that Firefox is starting to use an exorbitant amount of memory and that makes World of Warships start to choke, so I was hoping doubling the memory would help. Never really heard of the brand, but the reviews seem to favor it, apart from the ubiquitous couple percent who I guess got the duds that every electronic component usually has.

Yeah, checking the user manual for your Dell here, it seems like it would be absolutely fine. :)

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Is there seriously no easy possibility to stream my phone (pixel 3a) video & audio to my PC, for theoretical livestreaming purposes?
Literally everything I tried is either not working at all or doesn't do sound b/c USB.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Posted this once before in the wrong thread, so I'll try again here where it should be more apropos:

Any Audacity users have a possible clue as to why the 64-bit software for Mac is unable to open OPUS (.opus) audio files on my system (running 10.14 Mojave, btw)? I downloaded and installed all the ffmpeg files as instructed on the website, and the preferences dialogue screen shows that Audacity is seeing them.

Here's the exact error message I'm getting:
"Error Importing: Audacity did not recognize the type of file '... ....opus'. Try installing FFmpeg. For uncompressed files, also try File > Import > Raw Data."
For the record, a complete reinstall of both software and files did no good. Oddly, I can open OPUS files just fine on my ex-boyfriend's laptop running the 32-bit PC version.

Any ideas??

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this once before in the wrong thread, so I'll try again here where it should be more apropos:

Any Audacity users have a possible clue as to why the 64-bit software for Mac is unable to open OPUS (.opus) audio files on my system (running 10.14 Mojave, btw)? I downloaded and installed all the ffmpeg files as instructed on the website, and the preferences dialogue screen shows that Audacity is seeing them.

Here's the exact error message I'm getting:

For the record, a complete reinstall of both software and files did no good. Oddly, I can open OPUS files just fine on my ex-boyfriend's laptop running the 32-bit PC version.

Any ideas??
Try klite codec pack maybe

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is being awake while sick generally okay but sleeping is a nightmare? I go the whole day fine and then suddenly when I'm going to sleep I need to keep swallowing constantly and every time I do it's like swallowing a knife.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Why is being awake while sick generally okay but sleeping is a nightmare? I go the whole day fine and then suddenly when I'm going to sleep I need to keep swallowing constantly and every time I do it's like swallowing a knife.
Maybe it's just because you make yourself anxious about getting to sleep and that anxiety triggers some sort of physiological reflex?

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I think for the first time in my life, I am getting hay fever. I live in Japan. Anyone know what are some commonly available meds in drug stores that you would recommend? My nose and eyes are killing me.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
What happened to Miracle Jackson? My sister and I have loved this video since ebaums days and we dance like this and hum this song to each other. I just want to know if she made it. Is she a world class dancer?

forrest

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
When I click on a thread, why does it seem to go to a random page in the thread? I've wondered this for so long now.

forrest

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
If you have looked at that previously then it takes you to the first new post that you are yet to read in that thread. Is that what you mean?

I'm pretty sure it does this on threads I've never looked at. I see a thread I'm interested in, click on said thread, and then it opens the thread on some random page of that thread instead of the first page.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Not really Apple but it's related to iOS' version of Instagram... I'm just having the most frustrating thing with instagram right now. Evidently my account's email has been changed by somebody other than me. Using the reset password link does not work because the email has been changed. Using the "revert" link provided by Instagram did not work. Trying to follow their site's instruction on how to report hacked account does not lead to anywhere. It just leads to their help centre page that says follow on-screen instruction. But the on-screen instruction just gives me direction to get to the help centre. So it's all circular! There is no form here for me to fill out under "Hacked account" section! Apparently there is no real way to be able to email instagram directly either. So who here has experience dealing with instagram in situation like this and can help me? Android users go through slightly different steps, it seems... so I don't know if it's iOS-only.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
When I click on a thread, why does it seem to go to a random page in the thread? I've wondered this for so long now.
Some browsers load the page before you actually open it, and the site thinks you've read that page. I've noticed it in iOS Safari if you use the long press-open in new tab. I just tested it and it still happens.

Long press on unread thread.
Menu opens with preview of page 1 at the top.
Open in new tab.
Tab opens on page 2.

You can fix this in Safari by disabling the previews on that long-press menu. No idea what other browsers do.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Saturday night I got really drunk off of tequila. I blacked out. I seemed to have had a good time and lots of pictures were taken. Problem is that, I don't remember anything from the entire night. Why does this happen?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Saturday night I got really drunk off of tequila. I blacked out. I seemed to have had a good time and lots of pictures were taken. Problem is that, I don't remember anything from the entire night. Why does this happen?
A lot of alcohol can block the receptors in the hippocampus, which is where you generate short term memories.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
That's some crazy stuff. It's like the camera is rolling without the memory card? I just don't know if I did or said anything bad. Wish I knew. Wish someone would tell me...
I've been in this position for basically 30 years now, you get used to it. I barely drink now, but when I did it would take just a few drinks and there would be gaps in my memory.

Some advice - find a drink that you like and get along with (for me it's JD) and stick to it.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
I want some Apple Airpods, but after checking Amazon I don't want to spend $129, so does anyone know what's the best Airpod-like earbuds around $50 dollars? Thanks.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So my better half had a bit of an accident. 👀
Suffice it to say that the passenger side of our car has a nice new collection of scratches.

Some of these go down to the metal and expose it.
Is this something we should get fixed to prevent rust or something?

We really don't care about the optics of it, but want to avoid our car now starting to rust if that were a problem. So what affordable fix can people suggest if any is required?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Headphones question.

I'm looking for headphones that meet the following criteria:

- Microphone for PS4 online play
- 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound
- Wireless
- Also compatible directly with TV (specifically a 2019 TCL) and don't need to run it through a PS4

Does such a pair of headphones exist?

Nov 1, 2017
Headphones question.

I'm looking for headphones that meet the following criteria:

- Microphone for PS4 online play
- 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound
- Wireless
- Also compatible directly with TV (specifically a 2019 TCL) and don't need to run it through a PS4

Does such a pair of headphones exist?
I know this doesn't really answer your question, but... Surround Sound headphones are not worth it, they're a gimmick at best. Surround Headphones sound inferior as they have to cram in more drivers (so they're typically lower quality in sound). Stereo Headphones also typically have better positioning than Surround Headphones (which is rather ironic).

Maybe someone here has a positive experience with a pair out there, but I personally would suggest avoiding them at all costs.

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I agree with PyroPaperPlanes. There is a headphone thread on here somewhere; I'll see if I can find it.

www.resetera.com

Headphones Era lOTl Even Through The Distortion We Remain Lossless

Understanding Impedance - Of course what I'm about say doesn't apply to every pair of headphones or earphones, but here it goes: One important thing to note when picking a set of cans or IEMs is whether they are high impedance or low impedance. Low impedance head-gear usually requires little to...

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So my better half had a bit of an accident. 👀
Suffice it to say that the passenger side of our car has a nice new collection of scratches.

Some of these go down to the metal and expose it.
Is this something we should get fixed to prevent rust or something?

We really don't care about the optics of it, but want to avoid our car now starting to rust if that were a problem. So what affordable fix can people suggest if any is required?
Bondo or coro-seal.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I have a question about WhatsApp.
If I install it on my phone, will the app message to all my contacts at the start without my permission?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can pre-cum get a girl pregnant?
Technically yes. In and of itself it doesn't contain sperm, however it can mix with sperm left in the pipes, so to speak, from your last ejaculation.

This sounds like it's leading to a "Can I just pull it out as a means of contraception?" question!

EDIT: Obviously though the chance of getting someone pregnant is far lower as there's a lot less semen and and sperm in there.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got one nose hair that's too long but I dont wanna buy a trimmer for 1 hair. Can't seem to yank it what should I do, call the police?

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
When people recommend that you not wash your hair every day, do they mean shampoo and conditioner, or straight up don't get your hair wet?