• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So my father in law wants to give my SO 50k he has, so that if he passes the collectors won't get it. He's not in good health/drug user so he doesn't want it to go unused/ go to his ex wife or something like that. I was reading about how to fill out forms etc to legally transfer this money... Is there a limit to which we won't be taxed on it? Should we just take it and not fill out forms? Any guidance is appreciated!!

Gifts up to 15K are untaxed. Beyond that, use IRS form 709.

Frequently Asked Questions on Gift Taxes | Internal Revenue Service

Find common questions and answers about gift taxes, including what is considered a gift, which gifts are taxable and which are not and who pays the gift tax.

Oct 27, 2017
Gifts up to 15K are untaxed. Beyond that, use IRS form 709.

Frequently Asked Questions on Gift Taxes | Internal Revenue Service

Find common questions and answers about gift taxes, including what is considered a gift, which gifts are taxable and which are not and who pays the gift tax.
Thank you! So maybe he can give us each 15k before the year ends, and the rest next year... I guess as long as there is a record of when it was received we won't have to file any forms.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you! So maybe he can give us each 15k before the year ends, and the rest next year... I guess as long as there is a record of when it was received we won't have to file any forms.

Just be aware that if he files for bankruptcy, any large gifts given in the last few years are going to come under scrutiny and are likely to be seized (from you).

I'm not sure how it works in case of death or how long the time period is (varies from state to state).

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Is it possible for forum people to consider their favorite works of media without turning it into a taxonomy exercise? I'm not sure why everything needs to be numbered, ranked, and pitted against each other.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is that echo studio also an amplifier? When i move i kinda wanna have a vinyl setup, be great if the same speakers are also my Spotify speakers but may not be worth it if i also need the amplifier.

This question won't really matter until like 7 months from now after I've moved but its something I'm thinking about

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Is it possible for forum people to consider their favorite works of media without turning it into a taxonomy exercise? I'm not sure why everything needs to be numbered, ranked, and pitted against each other.

I share your frustration. I have no interest in ranking things, deciding favourites, or dissecting them to show how literate I am. It gets pretty tiresome so I tend to bail on such threads pretty early tbh. I just find the postmodernist deconstructionist attitude wearying and, frankly, entropic. I'm quite happy to enjoy the media I like even though the internet tells me its crap and dislike the media the internet tells me is good. A civil, mutually respectful conversation despite differing views is really not that hard. It shouldn't be, at any rate.

I love your avatar btw 😸 .

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This forum caters to people who have way too much time on their hands. Some of the longest and most popular threads are those dedicated to speculation about decisions companies long ago decided made but are not yet public.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping someone can give me some advice on a home network issue I'm having.

I can't get an of my iOS devices to connect to Netflix (the app or the website) when connected to our home network. Non-iOS devices work fine. IOS devices work if using cellular data. So, there seems to be an issue with the combination of iOS, Netflix, and the home network.

Any advice would be welcome.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because you deactivated the option to send PN's, I will write to you here:

I contacted Salt now because of this issue but they told me they don't see any issues.... -.-
Did you have more luck?
i deactivated pms? good to know.
i contacted salt three times in the last two weeks and they told me they would get back to me today. they found something but it was written in english so the woman from the support desk couldn't read it to me. she said the words "got blocked" whatever this means.

suspecting a gamergater just blocked it. lol.

edit: can you try to pm me again, i think i opened it up now. just for testing purposes, thank you.

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I have a bunch of visa gift cards that expire in 2025, but I haven't activated any of them yet. Reason being I plan to burn them all on the Ps5 next year but, is that an expiration for activating them? Will the value expire after a certain time if they're not activated?

Oct 27, 2017
I've slowly been replacing my CFLs and incandescent bulbs with LEDs and am almost 100% there. These exterior fixtures are the only ones I have that aren't an ideal match for your typical cheap bulk LED bulb.

Before:
QY8JtxS.jpg

After:
l1TmJQR.jpg

Any relatively inexpensive LEDs that will mimic the output shape of an incandescent, without the dramatic cutoff? They all look like that at the hardware store. I'm looking to stay soft white and somewhere around 1000-1400 lumens.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Any decent temporary lossless image hosting sites? The images are 4k at 15-20MB each as PNGs. Don't need them hostest forever, just 2-4 weeks for a thread I plan on making.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Are there any good movies/books about two brothers growing up together? You know, bonding, having fights and so on. Thanks.

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone know where Mupen64Plus loads its saves from? Not Save States mind, but the EEPROM itself. Project64 has it in a logical Save Folder, but PJ64 is having issues reading them. I wanted to check if Mupen64Plus would have better luck, but I can't find the darn location on my computer where it actually accesses those files (if it supports it at all, which I believe it does going off documentation).

Are there any good movies/books about two brothers growing up together? You know, bonding, having fights and so on. Thanks.
This isn't a good answer (as it's a video game)... but I enjoyed Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. They're not really fighting though... they're just working together. Sorry if I wasn't much help. :/

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I've slowly been replacing my CFLs and incandescent bulbs with LEDs and am almost 100% there. These exterior fixtures are the only ones I have that aren't an ideal match for your typical cheap bulk LED bulb.

Before:
QY8JtxS.jpg

After:
l1TmJQR.jpg

Any relatively inexpensive LEDs that will mimic the output shape of an incandescent, without the dramatic cutoff? They all look like that at the hardware store. I'm looking to stay soft white and somewhere around 1000-1400 lumens.
I got you! You're looking for Edison LED bulbs.
Almost exactly 1000lumen:
Edit* These are softer and brighter:

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Does anyone know where Mupen64Plus loads its saves from? Not Save States mind, but the EEPROM itself. Project64 has it in a logical Save Folder, but PJ64 is having issues reading them. I wanted to check if Mupen64Plus would have better luck, but I can't find the darn location on my computer where it actually accesses those files (if it supports it at all, which I believe it does going off documentation).

This isn't a good answer (as it's a video game)... but I enjoyed Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. They're not really fighting though... they're just working together. Sorry if I wasn't much help. :/
Hey, no, thanks a lot for the reply. :) I've heard of that game. Can't play it because I only have a laggy i3 laptop right now. I was searching about the topic online, and all I found were stories and blogs about girls who grew up with brothers. I'm working on a story that has a strong dynamic between two brothers, and since I didn't grow up with brothers, I'd love to know the experiences of people who have.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Did 'Teh Hamburglar' change his/her username to 'Officer Big Mac' or are they different people?

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
I've been getting these random txts and links to random videos from some number I don't recognize, they claim to know me.. and it bugs me not to know who it is.. not many know my work number so that makes it even weirder. Any way I can find out who I'm getting these cell messages from?

(I tried calling from diff numbers and always get sent to voicemail, also tried texting back and get random texts back and random times.)

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I've been getting these random txts and links to random videos from some number I don't recognize, they claim to know me.. and it bugs me not to know who it is.. not many know my work number so that makes it even weirder. Any way I can find out who I'm getting these cell messages from?

(I tried calling from diff numbers and always get sent to voicemail, also tried texting back and get random texts back and random times.)

Sounds like a scam to me. Delete delete delete.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
It has the same area code though.

Better you than me Gunga Din.

I wouldn't have anything to do with those messages if I didn't recognise who they were from but it's your choice. If someone else's phone or pc has been compromised and someone who shouldn't has access to their contacts then they can message you and try to get you entrapped via weblinks etc.

If it was a notable person in your life then you would know who they are and they would ensure that you knew it was them, surely. Not worth risking it due to curiosity, if you ask me but ymmv.

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
Better you than me Gunga Din.

I wouldn't have anything to do with those messages if I didn't recognise who they were from but it's your choice. If someone else's phone or pc has been compromised and someone who shouldn't has access to their contacts then they can message you and try to get you entrapped via weblinks etc.

If it was a notable person in your life then you would know who they are and they would ensure that you knew it was them, surely. Not worth risking it due to curiosity, if you ask me but ymmv.
Didnt know that was a possibility. Yeah. better just to ignore and block.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else having poor site performance on mobile lately? Android/Chrome here, most of the time posts get cut with a blank/gray overlay when entering a thread. The overlay covers all the way to the bottom.

Happens often, accompanied by lag in loading, editing or quoting posts.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Been thinking of getting Cards Against Humanity for Christmas to play with a decent group of people, but is the UK version really UK-centric? I'm in Ireland so not exactly sure what version to get if I go for it but definitely presuming that would be the closest.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Is there a more overused (and tiresome) word in online film discourse these last several years than "mythos"? *eyes roll back into skull*

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, as a guy, sometimes when I pee I get the chills. I'm sure you other guys know what I'm talking about.
My question is: Does this also happen to girls?

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
Anyone else having poor site performance on mobile lately? Android/Chrome here, most of the time posts get cut with a blank/gray overlay when entering a thread. The overlay covers all the way to the bottom.

Happens often, accompanied by lag in loading, editing or quoting posts.
Yes, I do too I get horrible performance on mobile browsers and we arent the only ones. Here's a thread from July 2019 with the same problems (below), I hope ResetERA fixes it soon.🤷🏾‍

Btw, I recommend writing your post in a seperate notepad. then copy-n-paste it back into the resetERA text-box.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I do too I get horrible performance on mobile browsers and we arent the only ones. Here's a thread from July 2019 with the same problems (below), I hope ResetERA fixes it soon.🤷🏾‍

Btw, I recommend writing your post in a seperate notepad. then copy-n-paste it back into the resetERA text-box.

Thanks for the info!

Using Firefox for this reply, it seems quicker.

Maybe something to do with cache? I have never flushed any data from the Chrome browser. Compared to this Firefox install, which is fresh. Will run some tests later.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Get Bards Dispense Profanity instead.
Heh that actually looks like fun too, might consider it for the future.

Have a question about Revolut. I'm looking to use it to make a transaction on Amazon UK for Prime Video. I'm trying to rent movies on it but I can't use my card as I'm based outside of the UK and it won't seem to accept gift card balance, but with Revolut I don't know what my address is, someone said to just use the company address that's listed on my account and that is based in Ireland, so how can I make this work for online transactions in countries that won't accept my card?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't find a general PC support thread so I'll try here - I'm having an odd issue with my mouse having unreliable tracking and I wonder if the issue is some kind of incompatibility with my mat. I'm using an old Razer Deathadder on my Mac for playing World of Warcraft Classic and it'll occasionally not track well (I need to lift off and make the movement again, sometimes multiple times to get it to recognise). Initially I thought it might be a problem with my mat but I picked up a new one (Corsair MM350) and it hasn't resolved the problem.

Now before I replace the mouse (I really like the design so was thinking of just getting the updated Deathadder) I wondered if there might be an issue with this kind of sensor and this kind of mat? Anyone able to shed any light?

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Couldn't find a general PC support thread so I'll try here - I'm having an odd issue with my mouse having unreliable tracking and I wonder if the issue is some kind of incompatibility with my mat. I'm using an old Razer Deathadder on my Mac for playing World of Warcraft Classic and it'll occasionally not track well (I need to lift off and make the movement again, sometimes multiple times to get it to recognise). Initially I thought it might be a problem with my mat but I picked up a new one (Corsair MM350) and it hasn't resolved the problem.

Now before I replace the mouse (I really like the design so was thinking of just getting the updated Deathadder) I wondered if there might be an issue with this kind of sensor and this kind of mat? Anyone able to shed any light?
Have you tried looking at the laser and seeing if something is blocking it? I highly doubt it's the mat.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to be notified when content on a specific website is updated? For instance, I'd like to be notified when there's a new speedrun world record for a game I like on speedrun.com.

Oct 27, 2017
Folks, I'm playing the indie horror game Faith: Chapter 1 and I have a quick question that I can't seem to figure out;
So I got to the point where Amy is chasing me around like the dude from Berzerk (The game, not the manga. That's Berserk.) She just randomly appears in a smattering of bloody runes and, as far as I can tell, I can't do anything. She appears all around me and then on top of me and I get mortised as fuck. Sometimes she'll appear on top of me immediately and I can right away pull out my crucifix and she disappears. It isn't always that way, though. Am I supposed to just keep running? Leave the house? Find some clue or note?

This question is not sanctioned by the Vatican.